Obama: Constitution stained by 'sin o...

Obama: Constitution stained by 'sin of slavery'

There are 31627 comments on the www.cnn.com story from Mar 18, 2008, titled Obama: Constitution stained by 'sin of slavery'. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

Sen. Barack Obama said Tuesday he chose to run for president because he believes "we cannot solve the challenges of our time unless we solve them together."

Obama said that his belief that all people want to move in the same direction comes from his "unyielding faith in the decency and generosity of the American people. But it also comes from my own American story."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

First Prev
of 1582
Next Last

“Yes. We. Can.”

Since: Dec 07

Haddam

#1 Mar 18, 2008
Unprecedented.
I could not in my wildest dreams, in all my journalistic education and writing experience ever have been able to envision a politician delivering such an incredible speech on such a controversial issue as racism, so eloquently and with such passion and integrity that it would seem tangible.
Great job Sen. Obama

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“The Truth will come out!”

Since: Feb 08

Camden

#2 Mar 18, 2008
I agree slavery was one of the most unbeleivable things people could do to others and was totally uncalled. But saying the Constitution was stained by a "sin of slavery" like its a dirty piece of paper and saying it's sin of slavery what did he mean! It seemed he blamed the the Constition and what people wrote it! That the people who wrote the constition were dirty people! I think he opened hinself to more trouble! Thats my feeling on his speech on this issue. I'd love to hear others!

“Dropped on head as child”

Since: Dec 06

Athens, Ga

#3 Mar 18, 2008
News Chick wrote:
Unprecedented.
I could not in my wildest dreams, in all my journalistic education and writing experience ever have been able to envision a politician delivering such an incredible speech on such a controversial issue as racism, so eloquently and with such passion and integrity that it would seem tangible.
Great job Sen. Obama
Not just on racism, but transcending all differences.

Unfortunately, people like you and I hear these words and understand their meaning.

His detractors will do neither.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Blackandproud

New Berlin, WI

#4 Mar 18, 2008
Obama be the man. He make a great leader. We need some NEW blood in the white house. I am definately gonna vote for Barack Obama. Hes where its at.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Yes. We. Can.”

Haddam

#5 Mar 18, 2008
Looking for the truth wrote:
I agree slavery was one of the most unbeleivable things people could do to others and was totally uncalled. But saying the Constitution was stained by a "sin of slavery" like its a dirty piece of paper and saying it's sin of slavery what did he mean! It seemed he blamed the the Constition and what people wrote it! That the people who wrote the constition were dirty people! I think he opened hinself to more trouble! Thats my feeling on his speech on this issue. I'd love to hear others!
If you consider that the constitution was written on the fundamental belief that all people are equal, yet during that time there was active slavery across the nation... well, there is a certain stain there.
But he didn't say the constitution was bad. I felt he indicated that slavery was a bad mark on a good and fundamentally correct and well-intended document, which is true basically.
The constitution didn't say "except blacks" yet at the same time, blacks weren't considered back then - everyone knows that. Blacks were considered lesser people without rights. I don't believe it was intentionally done out of cruelty but out of ignorance (not understanding).
I thought it was extremely courageous for him to validate both black and white frustrations and identify those issues correctly. He really hit the nail on the head more than once.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#6 Mar 18, 2008
Wow! You can't make this up. I am so proud of Obama. He showed under extreme pressure, under the most negative press that can cost him votes, that we as a nation can unite. We need to address racism, not cover it up, so we can heal and move on as a nation. I am so inspired by his speech. This doesn't sound scripted either, it comes from his heart because he has personally experienced both the white and black worlds, so he knows and experiences what others can't. Whites and blacks have different experiences, true, but we have so much to offer each other if we try. I love his speed and the positive message it brings. He got my vote.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Camden

#7 Mar 18, 2008
News Chick wrote:
Unprecedented.
Great job Sen. Obama
He sounded like his Reverend in a more eloquent way. I agree it was a passionate speech, but it sounds like I was listening to church sevice. Again my opinion, I expected a man who said his campaighn transended race not to talk about blacks and whites like he knew what every one feels like. He would have change my mind about him if had said I made a mistake going to Trinity United and I will never want anything to do with Reverend again, I take responsibility for this becoming an issue and will work fo the people of every race for equality against inflamatory people like Rev. Wright! He should have denounced Wright and said i will no longer have contact with Rev. Wright or anyone from the church! Obama admitted to hereing in church these inflamatory statements after in previous statements he said until seeing these video's recently he never heard them. So he admitted lieing!

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#8 Mar 18, 2008
If you are truly what your name implies, looking for the truth, then tell me how slavery is justified in the Constitution. Its not. When our country's founders wrote the constitution, and added all men are created equal, they didn't say "all men are created equal, except blacks". All Americans are to be treated equally, regardless of skin color. Unfortunately, our nation's constitution said one thing, and the laws of each state did another. State laws allowed slavery, and the government allowed it. So the Constitution is only as strong as those who adhere to it. We are trying as a nation to move beyond our history, but civil rights is only about 40 years old. The memory is still fresh is a lot of people who are still living today.
unity

Eden Prairie, MN

#9 Mar 18, 2008
Yes, he was wonderful! The speech was masterfull. Do you think that racism THE problem of most need right now? Is racism at the heart/core of the financial problems, the war, and the corruption?

Since: Feb 07

Whitman,Ma

#10 Mar 18, 2008
Obama is where he is because of that Constitution. He might call it stained but it sure cleared the way for him to do something no other black man in the world has done. To be considered for the leader of the most powerful nation that has ever been. His message did nothing for me except dig his hole a little deeper. I personally dont think he likes this country.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Athens, Ga

#11 Mar 18, 2008
So no vote and 3/5 representation for slaves is not a "stain"?

No one is more pro-Constitution than I am (I donate to the ACLU)- but that is a STAIN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-fifths_com...

“It's about the American People”

Since: Jun 07

Flushing, NY

#12 Mar 18, 2008
You are wrong. Barack Obama was right to distance himself from fiery ‘stupid’ statements during a Sermon in The United Church of Christ that do not represent whatsoever a lot of pastor Jeremiah’s positive contribution to his parishioners and his love to America, rather than hatred to America as incited by right wing talk show hosts.
Barrack proved that he is a great American leader who he is the one that can unite Blacks and White Americans and move ahead together beyond racial wounds of many years “because we have no choice”.
Barrack was right to distance himself from the offensive words of Jeremiah while viewing them in the right contest of the Blacks' community that was victim of Whites' initiated discrimination and slavery during more than 200 years.
It is prerogative of pastors, Rabbis and Imams to criticize killing of innocent people by anybody as Jeremiah did as pastor in a church and it that has nothing to do with politics and does not prove any hatred to America but the contrary.
It is the Old and New Testaments that do not allow killing of innocent people and it is the duty of Christianity as religion to criticize any killing which may or may not be justified.
It is time for politicians and greedy right wing talk show hosts to stay away of racial incitement and of what a pastor, rabbi and Imams may want to say inside the Church, Synagogues or Mosque which has nothing to do with power obsessed politicians that cares only for their personal political career.
What Jeremiah said inside his church to his parishioners should not be the main topic of talk show hosts with right wing agenda like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity personal agenda or for political argument between the corrupt Clintons and Obama.
Clearly, according to the US Constitution, the Church as religion must be separated from Politics while greedy talk show hosts and corrupt politicians must not intervene in what pastors say in the Church.

“Yes. We. Can.”

Haddam

#13 Mar 18, 2008
<quoted text>
He sounded like his Reverend in a more eloquent way. I agree it was a passionate speech, but it sounds like I was listening to church sevice. Again my opinion, I expected a man who said his campaighn transended race not to talk about blacks and whites like he knew what every one feels like. He would have change my mind about him if had said I made a mistake going to Trinity United and I will never want anything to do with Reverend again, I take responsibility for this becoming an issue and will work fo the people of every race for equality against inflamatory people like Rev. Wright! He should have denounced Wright and said i will no longer have contact with Rev. Wright or anyone from the church! Obama admitted to hereing in church these inflamatory statements after in previous statements he said until seeing these video's recently he never heard them. So he admitted lieing!
But that was the whole point of his speech: To trancend race.
The entire point of the speech was to acknowledge the tensions between whites and blacks (et. al) and address them each as being valid concerns and to point the way to unity.
Call it "hippy-ish" if you want - some kind of new age pipe dream - but there are a WHOLE lot of people who are sharing in that same dream... people who are so tired of fighting, so tired of the division.
I thought it was important that he pointed out it is not an easy fix, and cannot be remedied by one candidate, in one presidential tenure.
But it has to start somewhere.
There has to be an honest examination of racial hatred and anger (both white and black) before the problem can truly be addressed and, ultimately solved.
Key word here: HONEST.
By disavowing and disowning his Rev. altogether, it would be doing nothing more than past "politically correct" public officials have always done which is sweeping it under the rug.
Instead, there has to be an acknowledgement and understanding - deep and HONEST - understanding of the racial divides.
He did condemn his pastor's words. Highly. He didn't candy-coat it or in any way offer excuses for the inflamatory remarks Wright made. But he did adequately acknowledge and identify the foundations of the racial tension that is so deep-seated in most black communities (not all, but most) which are absolutely there.
Same with whites. The white hatred that reverberates across the nation is palpable. Just like the black hatred is. It would not do to ignore any aspects of it, if you're seeking to stop the division.

“make mine a double, please”

Since: Sep 07

chicago

#14 Mar 18, 2008
very nice speech...
i'm sure his following never noticed the changes in his recall from his sunday interview.

like sheep to slaughter...

“Yes. We. Can.”

Haddam

#15 Mar 18, 2008
Wake up USA wrote:
Obama is where he is because of that Constitution. He might call it stained but it sure cleared the way for him to do something no other black man in the world has done. To be considered for the leader of the most powerful nation that has ever been. His message did nothing for me except dig his hole a little deeper. I personally dont think he likes this country.
Because you're only reading the headline of this post (which is its intention) rather than how much he expressed his love of this country and the people who serve it, and the Americans who live it.

“Yes. We. Can.”

Haddam

#16 Mar 18, 2008
unity wrote:
Yes, he was wonderful! The speech was masterfull. Do you think that racism THE problem of most need right now? Is racism at the heart/core of the financial problems, the war, and the corruption?
No. But it is a problem, particularly with this candidacy and election. It cannot be denied.
It was smart for him to address it.

Camden

#17 Mar 18, 2008
jenny623 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are truly what your name implies, looking for the truth, then tell me how slavery is justified in the Constitution. Its not. When our country's founders wrote the constitution, and added all men are created equal, they didn't say "all men are created equal, except blacks". All Americans are to be treated equally, regardless of skin color. Unfortunately, our nation's constitution said one thing, and the laws of each state did another. State laws allowed slavery, and the government allowed it. So the Constitution is only as strong as those who adhere to it. We are trying as a nation to move beyond our history, but civil rights is only about 40 years old. The memory is still fresh is a lot of people who are still living today.
It didn't say except blacks and to have allowed slavery is the biggest piece of dirt in our history. But when you bring up more race issues and state the Constution that now gives you rights to all races and has always is stained is a attack on our fathers of this country. Things have change over time and people have learned from histoy, but if can't let go of this issue and blame the Constition now then in my view you beleive the Government is also attacked, because the Constition is our Gov't! That speech made me feel guilty for other peoples past sins that I had nothing to do with. I'm also have Black. He used our history to advance his campaighn and stepped on it! He is not Martin Luther KIng and he tried to play the part today! I was on the fence, but now I'm jumping away from a race candidacy! I will not be made to vote out of guilt! You can make you own choose, but that is mine!

“Serenity Now!”

Since: May 07

York Township, OH

#18 Mar 18, 2008
A special thanks to whoever had a hand in breaking the story about Barack Hussein Obama's pastor. The honeymoon is ending, Mr. Obama.....speeches can only get you so far. People are now beginning to find out what you're really all about. Just wait until we start talking about your voting record....you know, the voting record that was ranked the most liberal in the entire U.S. Senate.

Down with Barack Hussein Obama.

Athens, Ga

#19 Mar 18, 2008
just had lunch wrote:
very nice speech...
i'm sure his following never noticed the changes in his recall from his sunday interview.
like sheep to slaughter...
No, you're wrong.

He said he wasn't there for the "God damn America for killing innocent people" speech.

Which, btw, is a core Christian principal - not killing....

Still better than Falwell saying the US had 9/11 coming for allowing gays and abortions...
Obama Ridin DIrty

Warren, MI

#21 Mar 18, 2008
No no no no not God Bless America

God d*** America.

I cringe everytime I hear those words.

Just like Obama did when his grandmother used racial words.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 1582
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

2012 Presidential Election Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min sonicfilter 1,278,809
News Biden says he's not sure if he will seek presid... 13 min Le Jimbo 11
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 min Rogue Scholar 05 197,184
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 20 min An NFL Fan 194,316
News Minnesota's John Kline Will Not Seek Eighth Term 7 hr Le Jimbo 3
News Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize for 'extraordinary... (Oct '09) 8 hr swedenforever 229
News Biden to test political waters in Florida as he... 9 hr Go Blue Forever 23
More from around the web