Afro-American editor, reporter dies

Afro-American editor, reporter dies

There are 4 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Nov 22, 2007, titled Afro-American editor, reporter dies. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Frances Louise Murphy II was raised in the newspaper business. The granddaughter of the founder of The Afro-American Newspapers chain, she learned the trade in classrooms and newsrooms, working as a reporter, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Sabrina L Miller

United States

#1 Nov 22, 2007
I am pleased that you noted the passing of Frances Murphy, who obviously was newsworthy and quite influential in the Black publishing world and comes from one of the most influential families in the Baltimore area. It's the only reason the story gets two stars at all.
However, as a fellow journalist, I am disappointed that her hometown paper got information wrong, and also omitted some key information.
First, you spelled her mother's name incorrectly. It is Vashti, not Vashtai, as it is spelled above. Second, you omitted that her mother was a founder of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.-- the largest and most influential women's public service organization in the world. You also failed to mention that Frances was also a life member of the organization.
To have omitted that significant piece of information makes me believe you never read a single previous clip about her in your archives and/or failed to understand anything about the importance and impact of the organization, or how important it was to her.
Funny that the Post got all that information right but the hometown paper couldn't.
Shame on you, Jacques Kelly, and your editors and copy editors for such a sloppy and imprecise job on an obituary for such an important figure in the Baltimore community.
Sabrina L Miller

United States

#2 Nov 22, 2007

Since: Aug 07

Howey In The Hills, FL

#3 Nov 26, 2007
Sabrina L Miller wrote:
Second, you omitted that her mother was a founder of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.-- the largest and most influential women's public service organization in the world. You also failed to mention that Frances was also a life member of the organization.
To have omitted that significant piece of information makes me believe you never read a single previous clip about her in your archives and/or failed to understand anything about the importance and impact of the organization, or how important it was to her.
Funny that the Post got all that information right but the hometown paper couldn't.
Shame on you, Jacques Kelly, and your editors and copy editors for such a sloppy and imprecise job on an obituary for such an important figure in the Baltimore community.
The most influential women's public service organization in the world? I'm sure there are many who would disagree (including members of other sororities). I agree that it's shameful for the Sun to have misspelled a name, but failure to mention her sorority membership hardly seems that big of a deal... unless you're a member of that same sorority, I suppose.
Chicken or the Egg

Hampstead, MD

#4 Nov 26, 2007
It seems that the MORE influential organization would be Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. since Delta Sigma Theta was influenced by the founding of AKA.
Sabrina L Miller wrote:
I am pleased that you noted the passing of Frances Murphy, who obviously was newsworthy and quite influential in the Black publishing world and comes from one of the most influential families in the Baltimore area. It's the only reason the story gets two stars at all.
However, as a fellow journalist, I am disappointed that her hometown paper got information wrong, and also omitted some key information.
First, you spelled her mother's name incorrectly. It is Vashti, not Vashtai, as it is spelled above. Second, you omitted that her mother was a founder of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.-- the largest and most influential women's public service organization in the world. You also failed to mention that Frances was also a life member of the organization.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wisconsin Badgers NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wisconsin stuns No. 1 Kentucky (Apr '15) Apr '15 tom wingo 2
News Frank Kaminsky ready for Kentucky Wildcats (Apr '15) Apr '15 tom wingo 4
News Set in Stone? Five-star center closing in on de... (Nov '14) Nov '14 csmosher 1
News Poor shooting costs Badgers against Spartans (Jan '13) Jan '13 Bernie 1
News NCAA roundup: Duke dethroned; Jimmer falls; Kem... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Jayhawk 1
News Review: Remarkable actress is the brightness in... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Yessir 3
Wisconsin Badgers 2011 Basketball Championship (Mar '11) Mar '11 MumRa 4
More from around the web