College basketball notebook: Wisconsi...

College basketball notebook: Wisconsin survives scare at Iowa | BuckeyeXtra

There are 19 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Feb 10, 2011, titled College basketball notebook: Wisconsin survives scare at Iowa | BuckeyeXtra. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Duke's Cameron Crazies try to hex North Carolina's Reggie Bullock in the first half.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

“Bleeding Scarlet and Gray!”

Since: Sep 09

Worthington

#1 Feb 10, 2011
Normally this would be a good thing that Wisconsin struggled with Iowa. But they are doing what the Bucks have done this year. They are winning close games. That's scary with a date on Saturday in Madison. At least the Bucks have had some time off to plan for the game while Wisconsin had to make a road trip yesterday.
Buckeye Dave in NC

United States

#2 Feb 10, 2011
The one thing they have not done this year is manhandled a team that was expected to give them a tough game unlike what the Bucks have done to Florida, Florida State, Purdue, and Minny. Maybe the only one that qualifies for that is their win over Northwestern. I do not count their recent game with MSU, Sparty is a disaster now.

They had the looks last night, shots just were not dropping. If they drop it could be a very tough game.

Watching last night I originally thought Leuer spent more time outside even though he is 6-10 but he definitie preferred either his back to the basket or short to mid-range jumpers. If Lighty is on him I expect alot of postups. If Lauderdale then I expect Leuer to be getting the ball outside and either shooting from there or trying to take Lauderdale on the dribble. I think there is a danger in having Sullinger on him, Leuer could get him into foul trouble. Thoughts?
BHints

Cincinnati, OH

#3 Feb 10, 2011
Buckeye Dave in NC wrote:
The one thing they have not done this year is manhandled a team that was expected to give them a tough game unlike what the Bucks have done to Florida, Florida State, Purdue, and Minny. Maybe the only one that qualifies for that is their win over Northwestern. I do not count their recent game with MSU, Sparty is a disaster now.
They had the looks last night, shots just were not dropping. If they drop it could be a very tough game.
Watching last night I originally thought Leuer spent more time outside even though he is 6-10 but he definitie preferred either his back to the basket or short to mid-range jumpers. If Lighty is on him I expect alot of postups. If Lauderdale then I expect Leuer to be getting the ball outside and either shooting from there or trying to take Lauderdale on the dribble. I think there is a danger in having Sullinger on him, Leuer could get him into foul trouble. Thoughts?
I agree that Sullinger shouldn't be guarding him, especially in the first half. Matta has said that he doesn't want Sully to get more than one foul in the first half and I don't think you could guard Leuer effectively if you're in that mindset.

I think Lighty could guard him in the post. He has defended players of that size before and been effective because of his strength, intelligence and quickness.

After some consideration, I like the Lauderdale matchup. He can defend on the perimeter because his arms are so long and we all know what he can do on the block. He will have to be very disciplined because he is foul prone.

Maybe Lauderdale in the first half with help from Lighty on the front in the block and Sully in the second half depending on the foul situation. I'm sure Coach Matta will take my suggestions and implement them.:)

I think it's a moot point if we can shut down their other scorer like we did with E'twan Moore and Purdue. Most teams don't have nearly the scoring balance that the Buckeyes do with four or five guys that have the potential for a 20 point night. It will be a tough test but can you imagine if we win? There will be no denying this team from then on in my opinion.
califbuck

Mill Valley, CA

#4 Feb 10, 2011
I think the Bucks should just relax, they can beat cheeseheads by at least 20!
Buckeye Dave in NC

United States

#5 Feb 10, 2011
One of the good things about being in North Carolina is that I did not have to listen to Vitale last night. Raycom Sports has the regional rights to ACC basketball so when they have a game to broadcast like last night it comes on the local CBS affiliate and ESPN has to put a different game on. Able to watch a good ACC basketball game and keep the volume turned on!

Have to find another audio source for the Bucks against MSU next Tuesday.
oblong

Akron, OH

#6 Feb 10, 2011
BHints wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's a moot point if we can shut down their other scorer like we did with E'twan Moore and Purdue. Most teams don't have nearly the scoring balance that the Buckeyes do with four or five guys that have the potential for a 20 point night. It will be a tough test but can you imagine if we win? There will be no denying this team from then on in my opinion.
True, Wisky only has 3 scorers. Leuer, Taylor, Ninkivil. Noone else averages more than 5 pts. That appears to be a weakness if you look at them on paper. But their ball movement, lack of turnovers, and good shooting make them a threat in any game. They are best in the nation from the line, one of the best in history to date (per the announcers last night).

I thought what Iowa did on defense was pretty effective last night. They doubled up on Leuer and Taylor whenever they had the opportunity. I think they did this out of a zone much of the time, but I'm not sure of that. Sometimes Leuer or Taylor were able to find open cutters off of the double teams, but more often they had to just give up the ball and reset the offense. It put them out of their comfort zone a lot. OSU will play them quite differently, I think, but it might be a good idea to run an extra man at Leuer. Taylor will get his points, but I think OSU matches up better with him. Lighty, Craft and Buford are all capable of staying with him much of the time (I hope, at least). Regardless, beating them in the Kohl Center will be a tall order and OSU will need to shoot well. I think Sullinger should match up quite well against them inside.
Mike in Raleigh

Cary, NC

#7 Feb 10, 2011
Buckeye Dave in NC wrote:
Great stuff; you just about said it all. I have some fine point thoughts but they may prove completely wrong.
First, I think Dallas could give Leuer fits for a while but L it much too mobile for Dallas in the long run. It's too bad Deshaun's defense is a work in progress; he would match L well physically but that is for next year. Lighty can D-up on L like Jason Singleton used to take out the best big men 12 years ago. Sully and Dallas need to provide help and back side D. Craft will likely be more valuable this game, from a ball security and ball movement aspect, than the Minny game. Buford or Diebs will need to be on. And we cannot shoot under 70% FT's as a team or this game will be more painful than it should be.
The Bucks may need to play more zone on this team; with less Wisky offensive weapons, we could blunt their excellent ball movement offense and suppress their stars better with a zone. But it needs to be an active, active, active zone that shuts down passing lanes and covers the three circle.(Not just an active zone!)
BHints

Cincinnati, OH

#8 Feb 10, 2011
I'm glad the players get a week off to rest and prepare.....but it friggin sucks for the fanatics. This has been a long week already.
oblong

Akron, OH

#9 Feb 10, 2011
Mike in Raleigh wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bucks may need to play more zone on this team; with less Wisky offensive weapons, we could blunt their excellent ball movement offense and suppress their stars better with a zone. But it needs to be an active, active, active zone that shuts down passing lanes and covers the three circle.(Not just an active zone!)
Interesting points. The Bucks have played little zone this year. Matta seems to prefer to man it, as long as he can match up. Two years ago, however, he played almost exclusively zone because he felt unable to match. I think in Diebler's freshman & soph years, he lacked some quickness, and also at other positions they couldn't match up either. It will be fascinating to see what they try on Saturday, because, I agree, Wisky seems quite zonable, as long as you pay extra attention to their top 3 shooters from any point inside 30 ft.
BHints

Cincinnati, OH

#10 Feb 10, 2011
oblong wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting points. The Bucks have played little zone this year. Matta seems to prefer to man it, as long as he can match up. Two years ago, however, he played almost exclusively zone because he felt unable to match. I think in Diebler's freshman & soph years, he lacked some quickness, and also at other positions they couldn't match up either. It will be fascinating to see what they try on Saturday, because, I agree, Wisky seems quite zonable, as long as you pay extra attention to their top 3 shooters from any point inside 30 ft.
I hate zone defense. It leaves a huge area around the free throw line vulnerable and affects rebounding. If we have a clear advantage over Wisky, it's in athleticism. To me, that screams for a man-to-man scheme. Take them out of their comfort zone by staying in their pocket everywhere they go. I say press, press, press, and man, man, man. Don't let them slow the game down and get into their half court sets. If you need to double Leuer, bring Lighty out of the backcourt to help on ball denial in the paint. A zone would definitely put the Bucks at a disadvantage, in my opinion.

Worthington

#11 Feb 10, 2011
BHints wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate zone defense. It leaves a huge area around the free throw line vulnerable and affects rebounding. If we have a clear advantage over Wisky, it's in athleticism. To me, that screams for a man-to-man scheme. Take them out of their comfort zone by staying in their pocket everywhere they go. I say press, press, press, and man, man, man. Don't let them slow the game down and get into their half court sets. If you need to double Leuer, bring Lighty out of the backcourt to help on ball denial in the paint. A zone would definitely put the Bucks at a disadvantage, in my opinion.
I've got to agree here, a zone gives Wisconsin a chance to control the clock and the game. OSU has been successful this year because their man defense puts pressure on players and creates turnovers which they get points off of. In a zone, you are more or less just laying back and preventing the ball to get down low. Although Leuer is great down low, if Wisconsin is hitting outside shots on Saturday and can control the clock, it will be the Bucks first loss. But if you man up on them, get in their face, and cause them to panic they will fall apart. Either you or another poster said that the advantage OSU has over Wisky is they are so athletic. You have to use this to your advantage. Playing a zone will take part of that element out of the game. They have had success all year with a man defense, no need to break it now.
oblong

Akron, OH

#12 Feb 10, 2011
BHints wrote:
<quoted text>
Most times, a zone is a part of a pressing defense. "Zone press" allows two players to harass the opponents in the backcourt while the others defend in a zone to prevent long passes for uncontested scores.(This is just one version of a zone press.) All zones have different strengths and weaknesses. A 3-2 leaves a spot at the free throw line, but a 2-3 shuts down the line but leaves openings on the baseline (I might have these reversed, I can never remember exactly which is which). And changing defenses is a great strategic weapon in taking the opponent by surprise. Primarily OSU has played man this year, so likely that will stay the same. Matta may use it exclusively. Nonetheless, he knows well how to play zone so I am anxious to see if he uses any of it as a tactical weapon vs. Wisky.
mittymjs

Shippensburg, PA

#13 Feb 10, 2011
We sure proved last year that we play zone defense really well! I was surprised at Wisconsin's post up game last night. I thought they would do a lot better against Iowa. My sense is that our post up game is significantly better than Wisconsins and I think that is where the game will turn. Guarding Leuer, yes I agree a combination of Lauderdale and Leighty - at least in the first half. Try and get ahead early again and then pull out all the stops and play JS full time in the second half. Iowa obviously does not have the defense we have. If we are up 6,7,8 points at halftime without 3 fouls on JS or David then I think we have a good shot at winning. That is not to say we won't win some other way either!
BHints

Cincinnati, OH

#14 Feb 10, 2011
mittymjs wrote:
We sure proved last year that we play zone defense really well! I was surprised at Wisconsin's post up game last night. I thought they would do a lot better against Iowa. My sense is that our post up game is significantly better than Wisconsins and I think that is where the game will turn. Guarding Leuer, yes I agree a combination of Lauderdale and Leighty - at least in the first half. Try and get ahead early again and then pull out all the stops and play JS full time in the second half. Iowa obviously does not have the defense we have. If we are up 6,7,8 points at halftime without 3 fouls on JS or David then I think we have a good shot at winning. That is not to say we won't win some other way either!
Fouls and how the game is called will be huge. Can we use our strength and athleticism and play physical in the paint? That will be key. If it's called like the Indiana/Purdue game on Tuesday, it will be to the Bucks' advantage. That game was a knockdown, dragout. If they're calling every touch like we've seen in some parts of games, it will play into Wisky's hand.
Clint

Cincinnati, OH

#15 Feb 10, 2011
Just heard that the Wisconsin Badgers offered the Ohio St Basketball Buckeyes a shoot around for 7 AM on Saturday morning in the Kohl Center due to festivities and the Game is 2P ....LOL There are supposedly 220 News Media Guest at the Kohl Center Saturday . Looks like Coach Bo Rein and the Badgers are pulling out all stops in trying to beat the # 1 ranked Ohio St Basketball team . This is BS ... Go Basketball Buckeyes !
Buckeye Dave in NC

Greensboro, NC

#16 Feb 10, 2011
BHints wrote:
<quoted text>
Fouls and how the game is called will be huge. Can we use our strength and athleticism and play physical in the paint? That will be key. If it's called like the Indiana/Purdue game on Tuesday, it will be to the Bucks' advantage. That game was a knockdown, dragout. If they're calling every touch like we've seen in some parts of games, it will play into Wisky's hand.
Agreed. Interesting on Leuer is that he has had only two games over 25 points. Had 29 in a easy non-con back in December then 26 against Illinois. Maybe you just try to contain him like with Johnson at Purdue and focus on the other two as was suggested above. Taylor is streaky. I think if you can frustrate him he can become like Moore or McCamey. Leuer is going to get his.

The good news about this Bucks team is that I think they know how to adjust their game (except Lauderdale) based on how tight the game is played.

Regardless, cannot wait for Saturday to get here!
Buckeye Dave in NC

Greensboro, NC

#17 Feb 10, 2011
Clint wrote:
Just heard that the Wisconsin Badgers offered the Ohio St Basketball Buckeyes a shoot around for 7 AM on Saturday morning in the Kohl Center due to festivities and the Game is 2P ....LOL There are supposedly 220 News Media Guest at the Kohl Center Saturday . Looks like Coach Bo Rein and the Badgers are pulling out all stops in trying to beat the # 1 ranked Ohio St Basketball team . This is BS ... Go Basketball Buckeyes !
Just saw that as well. Classy move by Ryan! Wonder when Wisky has theirs? More motivation to put it to them.
It is going to be a real tough game but imagine what the Kohl Center would look like when Wisky is looking at the scoreboard and they are down by 15 with 2 minutes left in the game!
kenmore

Barberton, OH

#18 Feb 10, 2011
Honestly would'nt mind Sully on Luer, Jared often plays without fouling and Lauderdale's weak side defense can be outstanding.

Worthington

#19 Feb 11, 2011
Clint wrote:
That is absolutely ridiculous. Let me guess, Wisconsin has theirs at 11:30? Oh well, hopefully the game will look like an OSU shootaround.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wisconsin Badgers NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wisconsin stuns No. 1 Kentucky (Apr '15) Apr '15 tom wingo 2
News Frank Kaminsky ready for Kentucky Wildcats (Apr '15) Apr '15 tom wingo 4
News Set in Stone? Five-star center closing in on de... (Nov '14) Nov '14 csmosher 1
News Poor shooting costs Badgers against Spartans (Jan '13) Jan '13 Bernie 1
News NCAA roundup: Duke dethroned; Jimmer falls; Kem... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Jayhawk 1
News Review: Remarkable actress is the brightness in... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Yessir 3
Wisconsin Badgers 2011 Basketball Championship (Mar '11) Mar '11 MumRa 4