Mountaineers' Climb Halted

There are 11 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 2, 2008, titled Mountaineers' Climb Halted. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

They had answers early, A.J. Price continually pulling up from behind the arc and Doug Wiggins doing a number of things that helped turn this game into an artful display of UConn 's potential and capabilities.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Massachusetts Husky

Bedford, MA

#1 Mar 2, 2008
Geez, if I'm a West Virginia player, I don't think I want to read a quote from my coach stating, "I look down [the Mountaineer bench] and I'm like ... I don't even want to look some days."

Thanks, Coach!

Anyway, a surprise treat up Boston way. The game wasn't even listed in the GLOBE as being on TV. For the heck of it, I checked the ABC affiliate, Ch. 5, because, in the past, they've aired some UConn games with Sat. noon starts. And sure enough, there it was... a gift for all UConn expats in the Greater Boston area.

It was raining Husky 3's like no game I've witnessed in the first half. Here we caught a glimpse of all this team can be.

Then came the second half. Great quote from Calhoun, regarding this stretch. In the tournament, against a great team, the Huskies will be sent home if they let up like that.

But they survived yesterday. Wiggins continues to impress off the bench. Gavin Edwards continues to show promise off the bench. And Thabeet continues to cause his coaches to scratch their collective heads. He's in an offensive funk of late. Hopefully he'll solve his difficulties by the March 12th Big East Tournament!

Fans can't help but be pleased with the recent emergence of Sticks. If Stanley remains consistent offensively, our opponents are going to have problems trying to solve us by simply doubling AJ.

And did you notice how Austrie slowed it down and brought back deliberate offensive execution when the West Virginia Joe Alexanders were ripping through our defense in the second half? Austrie's the man. No question, he will finish the season and go into the tournament as our starter while Dyson continues to work off the rust so he, too, can make valuable contributions from the bench.
dchusky

San Diego, CA

#2 Mar 2, 2008
giving up alotta 2nd half points....agree with JC that this team needs to learn to put the game away....where's Thabeet been lately?
AGAIN

United States

#3 Mar 2, 2008
GIVE_UM A "B" FOR THIS GAME.
gps

Bellows Falls, VT

#4 Mar 2, 2008
Enjoyed another game--what a great season this has turned out to be!
I really liked Edwards, of course. Austrie is either playing way above his head or his simply coming into his own: I think the latter.
Adrian is not going to be denied--I just wish there was a place in the NBA for this kind of player (same with Austrie). Looking for 25 wins this season--and The Big Dance. I think we can play with anybody in the country.
GO HUSKIES!
richde

AOL

#5 Mar 2, 2008
The game was not available where I live.

What is going on with Thabeet?
alarmingone

East Providence, RI

#6 Mar 2, 2008
Where do you guys live who are always crying about not seeing the game? I live in the sticks and have espn full court,$99, and the sports package,$11 per month. I haven't missed a game all season.$59 is going to buy all the games during the tourney. Get into the 21st century, it's a good place to be.
Stefan

East Hampton, CT

#7 Mar 2, 2008
Thabeet is there for defense. He's not going to score many points if Uconn is draining three pointers all game.

My (very small) concern is Jeff Adrian's inability to hold onto the ball. He seems to juggle it a few times before he gets a good grip on it. Jeff should never be Uconn's #1 scoring option when they are in close games.

However, a long and prosperous tourney run comes down to Robinson. Let's hope he can continue to build on the last two games.
Not so sure

Meriden, CT

#8 Mar 2, 2008
I was at the game. Watching them go stagnant in their movment in the second half was so clearly the problem. It was not WVU defense. It was the one-on-one crap that gets this team or for that matter all of the good Uconn teams in to big problems. In half court they have streches were they decide to not cut, pick and move to the ball. It has puzzled me since the 90s. This is clearly why Uconn players do well in the pros (look at Gay, so heartless in college and a great pro). The only problem is when the driving is not working they look very beatable. The second they want to kill clock they need to be able to make team points. If one guy holds the ball to the end of the clock the other team is going to force them to hit a covered shot. Price has been caple of doing this at times, yet a easy basket would be much better. When Uconn was about to give up the lead they ran a crisp set where Robinson ran from the right 3 corner area hard across to the left 3 corner area and he was wide open to hit a shot. Not rocket science. Jimmy is a Hall of Fame coach and I am a fan that has never coached peewee basketball,yet still it is noticable. He has great team transition, team d, he always improves his players' skills, improves their belief in themselves, yet of all the great college programs (Dukes, UNCs, etc.) His half court sets when he has a lead have always been the most painful to watch around the arc. NO MOVEMENT. Whether Ollie or Talik or Austrie it is the same drippling up near the the top of the arc, killing clock, and ending with a dumb shot. It reminds of footballs prevent defense. It always lets the other team back in.
pnete

AOL

#9 Mar 2, 2008
Not so sure wrote:
I was at the game. Watching them go stagnant in their movment in the second half was so clearly the problem. It was not WVU defense. It was the one-on-one crap that gets this team or for that matter all of the good Uconn teams in to big problems. In half court they have streches were they decide to not cut, pick and move to the ball. It has puzzled me since the 90s. This is clearly why Uconn players do well in the pros (look at Gay, so heartless in college and a great pro). The only problem is when the driving is not working they look very beatable. The second they want to kill clock they need to be able to make team points. If one guy holds the ball to the end of the clock the other team is going to force them to hit a covered shot. Price has been caple of doing this at times, yet a easy basket would be much better. When Uconn was about to give up the lead they ran a crisp set where Robinson ran from the right 3 corner area hard across to the left 3 corner area and he was wide open to hit a shot. Not rocket science. Jimmy is a Hall of Fame coach and I am a fan that has never coached peewee basketball,yet still it is noticable. He has great team transition, team d, he always improves his players' skills, improves their belief in themselves, yet of all the great college programs (Dukes, UNCs, etc.) His half court sets when he has a lead have always been the most painful to watch around the arc. NO MOVEMENT. Whether Ollie or Talik or Austrie it is the same drippling up near the the top of the arc, killing clock, and ending with a dumb shot. It reminds of footballs prevent defense. It always lets the other team back in.
I agree aboutthe endless dribbling and then a lousy shot. But, perhaps Calhoun is worried about guys being out of position if the ball get turned over or shot is missed after a play. He wants to score but he also doesn't want to give up an easy one on the other end. At least I hope that's what's going on.
PPPP

Blackstone, MA

#10 Mar 2, 2008
Not so sure wrote:
The reason for this is because UConn doesn't run a continuous offense...They run plays with only 1 or 2 options...and every team does a good job of scouting their plays. Therefore, they guy coming off the screen is covered and the point guard has to keep dribbling the ball at the top. I'm sure there is a reason for this though. Maybe Jim thinks that continous offense is a waste of movement. Maybe the one on one stuff is the reason that UConn gets fouled so often. I'm really not sure.
twomiler

Southington, CT

#11 Mar 2, 2008
I thought UConn's defense in the first half established the framework for victory. During a 12-possession span West Va. missed six of eight shots including some off-balance, three turnovers and was outscored 16-5 and fell behind 37-21. (note: without Thabeet in the half UConn outscored West Va. 34-19). It was lack of defense that hurt the team in the second half. UConn had leads of 17 points three times in the second half and visably let down from its first half effort. After West Va. closed to 66-63 with 4:16 left it only made two field goals the rest of the game including one after it was over, missed seven shots and I think Thabeet had a block. When UConn had to turn it around, it picked up its defense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Virginia Mountaineers Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
whats everybody idea for upcoming Football season? (Mar '14) Mar '14 BigIrish 1
News Texas Outlasts Virginia In Overtime (Nov '13) Nov '13 Nikki 1
News Mountaineers Fans Petitions for Schwartzwalder ... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Chris P Bacon 1
News Live Stream Tonight's West Virginia-Gonzaga NCA... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Beans 1
playing time (Feb '09) Feb '09 slh 1
News Montgomery Scores 28 To Lead UConn By WVU (Jan '09) Jan '09 FREDDYKOOL 3
News Moore, Charles Lead Huskies In Rout (Jan '08) Jan '08 FREDDY KOOL 5
More from around the web