Jeff Jacobs: Alexander Hands UConn Mo...

Jeff Jacobs: Alexander Hands UConn More Disappointment

There are 16 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 14, 2008, titled Jeff Jacobs: Alexander Hands UConn More Disappointment. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Joe Alexander is tough to defend. And so, too, is the UConn effort in this abrupt - slap in the kisser - exit from the Big East tournament.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

rick

Yorktown Heights, NY

#1 Mar 14, 2008
In a moment of clarity, Coach Calhoun describes his players as "so self-centered and selfish". He continues to recruit players of superior talent who frequently underperform while at UConn.
Long time fan

Manchester, CT

#2 Mar 14, 2008
The most self-center and selfish player on the team is JEROME DYSON.
Check the record... team is SOOO much better withOUT him. Stick him on the bench with superglue and leave him there.
George Linn

Hollywood, FL

#3 Mar 14, 2008
Very Good
Jeters Overrated

Fort Wayne, IN

#4 Mar 14, 2008
Outcoached as usual !
Pete

South Windsor, CT

#5 Mar 14, 2008
Calhoun is a tremendous coach who will hopefully recognize although dyson is talented the team is better when he doesnt play. He doesnt need to play he best players but rather his best team. I expect a great run in the big tournament.
Girotti

Hartford, CT

#6 Mar 14, 2008
Pete wrote:
Calhoun is a tremendous coach who will hopefully recognize although dyson is talented the team is better when he doesnt play. He doesnt need to play he best players but rather his best team. I expect a great run in the big tournament.
I would n-o-t expect a great run at tournament time. Because of this loss, they'll most likely be a No.5 at best. If you look at past NCAA tournaments, the most upsets have occured at the No. 5 vs. No.12 bracket!! After that, the games only get tougher.
Sayles in Pawcatuck

AOL

#7 Mar 14, 2008
Calhoun expiration date expired three years ago when he couldn't coach a team passed George Mason. What was the excuse? What was the excuse last year? New year and new excuses.

His ranting and raving on the side lines is an embrassment to the players, fans and the University.

He assembled the team, He can not divorce himself from their performances on and off the court.

I like his quote "so self centered and selfish". I think he was referring to Jim Calhoun.

We might never get a coach that wins us a NCAA championship but I hope we get a coach of class.
dewcooljohn

South Windsor, CT

#8 Mar 14, 2008
I don't think the results of yesterday surprised many true UConn fans that know anything about basketball.The bottom line is that this team has let quite a few of the other teams best shooters have their best games against them.Most of their wins have been by less then 10 points and they have no margin for error.I don't see them depending on who they play at the Big Dance winning anymore then 1 or possibly 2 games.Good luck !!
johnny99

United States

#9 Mar 14, 2008
2 timeouts left at end of game...not fouling at end of game?? did Coach give up as well??
dewcooljohn

South Windsor, CT

#10 Mar 14, 2008
Sayles - A coach can only instruct his players in the areas they need to excel in to be successful,he can't play the game for them.Bottom line is this team just doesn't have what it takes to be among the elite teams that have been at UConn because the don't follow instructions and are too full of themselves.I believe you need to go out and buy a book titled Basketball For Dummies before you make another stupid remark about Calhoun.
Sayles in Pawcatuck

AOL

#11 Mar 14, 2008
dewcolljohn

You must have read the book because your remarks are superficial as the book you suggest. Listen to your favorite ESPN program for new comments. I can not wait to hear what you pour forth.
cshou

Delray Beach, FL

#12 Mar 14, 2008
"In your face" is totally exaggerated once again by none other than Coach Calhoun performing at his best....disrespectful , intimidating, embarrassing towards Hasheem Tahbet in Friday's Big East game at MSG....Calhoun "out of control" should have been "Td" up if that were applicable to such an instance as the moment sited above. Role Model, don't think so! Anger Management 101 needs to be taken AGAIN...

Frustrated in Florida....
Fed Up

East Hampton, CT

#13 Mar 14, 2008
It is Calhoun who is "so self-centered and selfish". He is more interested in cashing on his past record with endorsements, etc.

I don't think he gives a good crap about the players other than what it can do for him.
Mike McManus

West Newton, MA

#14 Mar 14, 2008
Well said Jeff. I liked Huggins comment about Alexander: "It is fun coaching guys that want to learn, that want to be good." That says it all. If UCONN played the kind of "deny the ball" defense that they have been known for, they would be much better off. Thabeet can block shots with the best of them, but in a man to man defense, he's a liability. There's no way that with the height advantage UCONN had, they should have been so badly out-rebounded. Rebounding is mainly about desire...something that was severely lacking yesterday.
ray in tampa fl

Thonotosassa, FL

#15 Mar 14, 2008
do you think maybe if we had someone who could come off the bench and hit a couple of threes it would help? ala, BRIAN FAIR- ALBE MOURNING-RASHAAD-HMM WHO DID I MISS. we don't have that guy
minnesota fan

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Mar 14, 2008
The refs played a part in this. Their foul calling was atrocius. If someone touched a player, a foul was called. That causes a player to be more tentative on defense that creates the space for a hot shooting team. Perhaps a UCONN player needed to commit a hard foul on Alexander might have broke his rhythm and cause him to think a bit on his next shot. Tha Uconn guards need to stop dribbling for 15 seconds away from the basket and then trying something silly. If they drive to the paint they must be ready to pass to a big or pass out to an open player. They refuse to give up the ball and end up getting stuffed or turning it over. Unfortunately one of the bigs does not have the hand strength to catch the ball, though part of the problem is that the bigs are not sure that the guards will pass so they are caught off guard when they do. Lots of problems with this team jelling as a team and working together. Perhaps we need a crisis to shake things up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Virginia Mountaineers NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Deniz Kilicli displaced after apartment fire (Oct '11) Oct '11 Kilicli Fan 1
News West Virginia's 12-2 game-closing run deals ree... (Mar '11) Mar '11 dpx55 1
News WVU's Mitchell suspended indefinitely (Jan '11) Jan '11 Mark 1
News WVU, Marshall renew rivalry (Jan '11) Jan '11 ArualEnaj 1
News W.Va. 93, PC 63: Mountaineers level bewildered ... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Paul D 1
News Gophers 74, West Virginia 70: Trevor Mbakwe is ... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Dan 16
News Duke over West Virginia to go to Finals (Apr '10) Apr '10 triple6vamp 1
More from around the web