BuckeyeXtra - College football notebook: SEC fines Florida's Me...

There are 7 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Nov 7, 2009, titled BuckeyeXtra - College football notebook: SEC fines Florida's Me.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Urban Meyer of Florida became the first coach to be disciplined under the Southeastern Conference's policy regarding criticizing officials.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

OHIOinME

Saco, ME

#1 Nov 7, 2009
I can't stand that coaches and players can't be critical of the refs after the game. As long as they are respectful, refs need to hear it. I'm sure they have their own methods for evaluation, but why can't anyone complain about them to the media. They are grown men and a person should have the right to gripe about a bad call. It's good for the fans to hear that a coach or player recognizes the Refs blew a call.
not a gator fan

Columbus, OH

#2 Nov 7, 2009
why should erv meyer complain about the officials heck he was given 2 games by them he should thank them. sec doesnt want people critising officials cause there moeny is trying to gaurentee that the sec is in the national championship. come on how can florida be number 1 when they dont play anyone. they play a total of 2 ranked teams ( lsu, and probably alabama).with a schedule this weak heck cinciy and boise state both should be in the nc game.
Mark Schmidt

New Bremen, OH

#3 Nov 7, 2009
Meyer criticizes the ref for no late hit call after his player gouges the eyes of the opponent. He is the definition of a hypocrite.
ScarletReigns

Warner Robins, GA

#4 Nov 7, 2009
WOW!!! The SEC Gestapo is now official! What happened to free speech? I thought the conspiracy theories about the SEC honchos surreptiously advising the officials to help Alabama and Florida remain undefeated were crazy, but with this new rule, I've changed my thoughts. The SEC obviously has something to hide. Like the SEC coaches and players, I'm speechless!
nmetro

Denver, CO

#5 Nov 7, 2009
Let's see, Urban Meyer gets fined for criticizing SEC officials. I am no fan of Urban Meyer, but if anyone has paid attention to the SEC this year (or over the past few years) there were at least three key games where the officials screwed up so badly that the outcome of the game was tainted. The officials involved in two of these games were suspended because of bad calls they made and the SEC concurred they made bad calls after the fact. These bad calls were gifts to LSU and Alabama. The call that Urban Meyer was fined for was another one of those bad calls; it was obvious from the repeated CBS replays.

While the Big Ten officials are no angels, the at least try to get the calls right. But, the SEC officials seems to make calls to favor certain teams along the way to set up a playoff. Over the past few years some of the outcomes of these games ended up getting the favored team out of sticky situations to end up winning. Florida, is not innocent in such treatment. Neither has LSU and lately Alabama.
Big Tom

United States

#6 Nov 7, 2009
Urban Meyer is a "Richard". I am embarresed that he coached at BGSU. I am embarressed that he is still coaching at Fla. His days are numbered.
Big Tom

United States

#7 Nov 7, 2009
Fine him $30 billion. Get him out of college football. Get him out of anything meaningful. He's a loser.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wake Forest University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Player Profile: Rondale Watson (Nov '14) Nov '14 lol 1
News FSU opponent preview: Wake Forest's defense has... (Oct '14) Oct '14 whop mack 1
News Minnesota Timberwolves resume pre-draft workout... (Jun '09) Jan '14 Patrick Kelly 5
News Miami Dolphins: 5 Late-Round Prospects That Wou... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Draft Beer 1
News Cowboys stay defensive until taking West Virgin... (Apr '12) Apr '12 See the Light 2
News Forward Stewart Transfers To USC (Apr '11) Apr '11 john lewkowicz 1
News WFU Grants Woods' Request for Release from Program (Oct '10) Oct '10 Rocky 1
More from around the web