Malcolm Jenkins VS. Vontae Davis

Malcolm Jenkins VS. Vontae Davis

There are 17 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Apr 8, 2009, titled Malcolm Jenkins VS. Vontae Davis. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Started 43 games at one of college football's top programs, contributing 196 tackles and 11 interceptions for Ohio State .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Bill

Sumter, SC

#1 Apr 8, 2009
I feel certain we'll draft a CB, and most likely in the second round. However, I don't see us reaching for one of the top two listed. We're set at both safeties and have backup, but CB is too big a priority not to address it via the draft and look at impact as well. I believe we'll move on one of the available FA's right at draft time or shortly thereafter.

On another front, what of Jason Taylor? I have an interesting theory for you. Taylor and Porter play the same position. We've already gotten top value from Taylor, while Porter is coming off a 17.5 sack season. What if ... and I'm saying a big what if here ... Miami believes Taylor isn't done physically and psychologically. What if Miami could trade Porter, who I think is 31 (I didn't go look it up), and could get value at WR or CB from another team? Taylor would make a nice gap-filler until a Wake and/or yet-to-be-drafted LB/DE could step in and make a difference. I could see us getting great value for Porter ... top player and draft pick this year ... and not really impacting our defense at all - perhaps improving it.

Food for thought ...
Bill

Sumter, SC

#2 Apr 8, 2009
Just read an SI.com article, that again reiterates that this draft has no impact CB's, and may not even have any considered near-impact. This is NOT the time to be drafting our CB of the future.

My suspicion is we do something else. What that is ... is anyone's guess at this moment.
marinofan13

Scranton, PA

#3 Apr 8, 2009
Vontae Davis is also BY FAR the best man-to-man cover corner in the draft. We're talking about a real shut-down CB, not a system CB who accidentally benefits from having the ball fall into his lap.

His attitude should not detract from his standing due to a fun little fact: the Tuna WILL discipline and teach discipline to this prima donna. If he's there at R1P25, GRAB HIM without hesitation.

greenmiamicat

Columbus, OH

#4 Apr 8, 2009
marinofan13 wrote:
Vontae Davis is also BY FAR the best man-to-man cover corner in the draft. We're talking about a real shut-down CB, not a system CB who accidentally benefits from having the ball fall into his lap.
His attitude should not detract from his standing due to a fun little fact: the Tuna WILL discipline and teach discipline to this prima donna. If he's there at R1P25, GRAB HIM without hesitation.
i totally agree, if vontae is there aat 25 miami has to grab him
Brad

United States

#5 Apr 8, 2009
Omar,

I think CB Darius Butler is a nice fit for these reasons, please let me know what you think. Butler played on Connecticut and Donald Thomas can vouch for him. Parcells has a mancrush on Thomas so would believe him. Connecticut seems to be churning out NFL players these last two years. Biggest reason is Butler also played WR which shows his versatility. He could be special teams ace while learning position playing nickel CB. Athletes like this will be key on special teams due to the rule changes getting rid of 3 man wedges right?
Bill

Columbia, SC

#6 Apr 9, 2009
From Peter King's MMQB, Tuesday edition, discussing Maycock's analysis of this draft: "If you need a cornerback in this draft, sit it out. There are no corners even well above average, never mind great." If we take a CB at 25, I would be shocked.
Fang

United States

#7 Apr 9, 2009
Bill wrote:
From Peter King's MMQB, Tuesday edition, discussing Maycock's analysis of this draft: "If you need a cornerback in this draft, sit it out. There are no corners even well above average, never mind great." If we take a CB at 25, I would be shocked.
If this is true, it makes sense why the Dolphins have been looking at all these CBs. It's not for the first round it's for the later rounds. The same could be true of the USC L.Backers. I'm wondering about them, were they good individual players or were so good because they all played together next to each other ?
Banana Republic

Pompano Beach, FL

#8 Apr 9, 2009
Brad wrote:
Omar,
I think CB Darius Butler is a nice fit for these reasons, please let me know what you think. Butler played on Connecticut and Donald Thomas can vouch for him. Parcells has a mancrush on Thomas so would believe him. Connecticut seems to be churning out NFL players these last two years. Biggest reason is Butler also played WR which shows his versatility. He could be special teams ace while learning position playing nickel CB. Athletes like this will be key on special teams due to the rule changes getting rid of 3 man wedges right?
With all the physical recievers in our divsion he would be constantly pushed around. At the combine he wouldn't lift because he couldn't press 225 ONE TIME. I watched the Prime U series where prospects train with Deion Sanders to prep for the combine. During his bench workout he did 130lbs 100 times in sets OF TWO. 50 sets of TWO reps. That is very weak for a prospective pro athlete in a physcailly demanding sport. In short NO BUTLER IN MIAMI is my vote.
marinofan13

Moscow, PA

#9 Apr 9, 2009
Banana Republic wrote:
<quoted text>
With all the physical recievers in our divsion he would be constantly pushed around. At the combine he wouldn't lift because he couldn't press 225 ONE TIME. I watched the Prime U series where prospects train with Deion Sanders to prep for the combine. During his bench workout he did 130lbs 100 times in sets OF TWO. 50 sets of TWO reps. That is very weak for a prospective pro athlete in a physcailly demanding sport. In short NO BUTLER IN MIAMI is my vote.
If this is true (not that I doubt you), the Tuna will NOT select Butler.
Brad

United States

#10 Apr 9, 2009
Good info Republic. I just can't figure out who fins will take. With your info Miami should not pick him. I also read he had tough time against WR Britt head to head.
Banana Republic wrote:
<quoted text>
With all the physical recievers in our divsion he would be constantly pushed around. At the combine he wouldn't lift because he couldn't press 225 ONE TIME. I watched the Prime U series where prospects train with Deion Sanders to prep for the combine. During his bench workout he did 130lbs 100 times in sets OF TWO. 50 sets of TWO reps. That is very weak for a prospective pro athlete in a physcailly demanding sport. In short NO BUTLER IN MIAMI is my vote.
JET FAN

United States

#11 Apr 12, 2009
Wit da 25th pick it's one and done and acrap shoot the rest of the way!
JET FAN

United States

#12 Apr 12, 2009
You and either draft a cornhole back to try and stop the bleeding when Buffalo and New england come to town or draft a wide receiver in hopes pennington can throw bombs to him hoping you can keep up in a scoring battle.
So which is it? Then again at 25 there isn't gonna be a deon sanders sitting there.
Reality

United States

#13 Apr 12, 2009
Butler had, by far, the best combine OUTSIDE of lifting. His hips are loose, his change of direction is astounding, he's fast, and last time i checked, Deion Sanders didn't have a liking to tackling anyone, but you could put him out on that island on his own with their #1 and he would outright lock them down. If Tuna wants that kind of corner for this defense, he should take him. Think Don McNeal here.
Butler is shooting up the draft board for those reasons. He likely will be the 1st or second corner taken, as Vonte has attitude issues, and Jenkins is solid with instincts, but a 4.6 guy. Butler's college tape has him tackling well enough.

I personally like Alphonso. I don't give a crap if he's 5'9"..take him out in red zone plays. He has an outright ability to anticipate plays and intercept balls. 1st-Britt or Nicks,#44 Alphonso, if he's available (doubtful).
Grove over Mangold

Bristow, VA

#14 Apr 12, 2009
JET FAN wrote:
Wit da 25th pick it's one and done and acrap shoot the rest of the way!
and with the #17th pick its VGolston Jr burp !!!!
Grove over Mangold

Bristow, VA

#15 Apr 12, 2009
JET FAN wrote:
You and either draft a cornhole back to try and stop the bleeding when Buffalo and New england come to town or draft a wide receiver in hopes pennington can throw bombs to him hoping you can keep up in a scoring battle.
So which is it? Then again at 25 there isn't gonna be a deon sanders sitting there.
I see you did not mention the NY jets because you know we do not have to worry about them HA HA!!!! Maybe the jets can convert VGolston to WR sense he can not play 34OLB and have Favre come out of retirment to throw to him sense you guys do not have a QB. Burp!!! keep the fries coming you loser.
Kyle

Blackwood, NJ

#16 Apr 17, 2009
Malcolm Jenkins defenitly is a more adjile and more athletic that Vontae Davis. anyways, he is a 4 year starter that also won the Jim Thorpe award witch is (the best corner in the nation). Jenkins is dynamic and they could put him anyware at the DB position and still be successful. all and all i would defenitly pick Malcolm over Vontae Davis.
marinofan13

United States

#17 Apr 17, 2009
Kyle wrote:
Malcolm Jenkins defenitly is a more adjile and more athletic that Vontae Davis. anyways, he is a 4 year starter that also won the Jim Thorpe award witch is (the best corner in the nation). Jenkins is dynamic and they could put him anyware at the DB position and still be successful. all and all i would defenitly pick Malcolm over Vontae Davis.
Malcolm will be long gone by the time we pick at #25.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wake Forest Demon Deacons NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News FSU opponent preview: Wake Forest's defense has... (Oct '14) Oct '14 whop mack 1
News Miami Dolphins: 5 Late-Round Prospects That Wou... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Draft Beer 1
NCAA Wake Forest #3 Chris Paul Yellow Jerseys (Jun '12) Jun '12 wake 1
News Cowboys stay defensive until taking West Virgin... (Apr '12) Apr '12 See the Light 2
Quarter-back Larry Russell (Jan '08) Mar '11 Jim Kelly 4
News WCU football player convicted of drug charges (Jul '08) Aug '10 Wcu football 17
News Giants sign former Wake Forest quarterback Rile... (May '10) May '10 great1 1
More from around the web