College basketball: UNCA men top VMI ...

College basketball: UNCA men top VMI in OT

There are 15 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jan 19, 2008, titled College basketball: UNCA men top VMI in OT. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

ASHEVILLE The UNC Asheville men's basketball team improved to 14-4 this season with a 90-87 overtime road victory Sunday against the Virginia Military Institute.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Dennis Justice

Auburn, MA

#1 Jan 19, 2008
Kenny George is the real story. He played only 6 seconds in overtime (he was going to get a game to rest), but was brought in to score the winning layup. Hysterical.
asheville native

Eddyville, KY

#2 Jan 19, 2008
Kenny's time was great. six seconds. two points. victory.

PRICELESS....
Jim

Roxboro, NC

#3 Jan 19, 2008
Dennis...you're right but don't forget KJ's 3 pointer to tie it up with 2 seconds left. Funny how the game comes down to two shots by two players.

Eddie has done a great job with this team.
Dennis Justice

Auburn, MA

#4 Jan 19, 2008
It's looking very likely NIT is the worst this team can do at this rate. I may not be able to get tix for Wednesday at this rate since I'll be working.
Bill H

Athens, TN

#5 Jan 19, 2008
Did you hear those jerk fans harrassing the UNCA announcers on the radio? So much for VMI military class and dignity. Just makes the Dog's victory that much sweeter.
Bill H

Athens, TN

#6 Jan 19, 2008
Dennis Justice wrote:
It's looking very likely NIT is the worst this team can do at this rate. I may not be able to get tix for Wednesday at this rate since I'll be working.
Just buy your tickets online and they'll have them for you at the "Will Call" table. No lines and you won't have to worry about a sellout. www.uncabulldogs.com

Since: Oct 07

Greenville, SC

#7 Jan 19, 2008
Bill H wrote:
Did you hear those jerk fans harrassing the UNCA announcers on the radio? So much for VMI military class and dignity. Just makes the Dog's victory that much sweeter.
I know, they should be ashamed. Sure does make VMI look bad.
here we go again

United States

#8 Jan 19, 2008
Is it it time to pencil them in for the Final Four? Have the fans started knitting that 2008 National Championship banner? Give me a break, they are in a second rate conference, winning it will only give them one of those "we have to let somebody from there" #16 seeds and a fast trip back home.
Jim

Roxboro, NC

#9 Jan 19, 2008
here we go again wrote:
Is it it time to pencil them in for the Final Four? Have the fans started knitting that 2008 National Championship banner? Give me a break, they are in a second rate conference, winning it will only give them one of those "we have to let somebody from there" #16 seeds and a fast trip back home.
I bet Notre Dame didn't share that sentiment last year. How'd UNC do against unranked Maryland today? It's not a strong conference but I guess you already know who they might play and how they may play in that game? While you're at it, can you tell me the lottery numbers? Will you come with me to Vegas so I can bet on and win every game since you have such forsight?

I am glad you have pointed out your immense knowledge of basketball as I was about to pencil them into my final four...alongside Memphis, Duke and UCLA...I can't trust unc winning a close game anymore.

See you at the Final Four!
Bill H

Athens, TN

#10 Jan 19, 2008
here we go again wrote:
Oh please. Who said anything about the Final Four? The fact is that UNCA and several other BSC teams are playing well against big (sometimes huge)schools and making the conference proud. Ask Buffalo, South Carolina, Miami of Florida, ECU, and Georgia Tech (just to a few big names who bit the dust at the hands of BSC colleges this year). BSC shools have also played well against Cincinnati and Miami of Ohio. I remember when people never heard of Jacksonville in the NCAA finals years ago and they went all the way. And as far as the whole country goes, I can't remember so many mid-majors beating up on the big boys. Ask Oklahoma, Louisville, and many others.
Barzini is a Pimp

Auburn, AL

#11 Jan 19, 2008
here we go again wrote:
And that would diminish their accomplishment in what way?

So what you are saying is that unless you are the school that wins the national championship, you're a loser. Guess that means the fans of about 329 other schools will feel pretty bad this year.
Dennis Justice

Auburn, MA

#12 Jan 19, 2008
Bill H wrote:
What did they do and say?
here we go again

United States

#13 Jan 19, 2008
Barzini is a Pimp wrote:
<quoted text>
And that would diminish their accomplishment in what way?
So what you are saying is that unless you are the school that wins the national championship, you're a loser. Guess that means the fans of about 329 other schools will feel pretty bad this year.
Are you kidding me? Of course the national championship is the goal of every school, even the tiny schools. You are right, the fans of all the other schools should feel bad if they don't win it all. 2nd place is just the 1st loser!
ladder truck idiot

Canton, NC

#14 Jan 20, 2008
what happen to ole roys boys
Art

Roanoke, VA

#15 Jan 22, 2008
Bill H wrote:
Grow up Bill! It is and was college basketball at it's finest. Fans get histerical. That is normal, particularly in a highly stressful environment like VMI. Everybody needs to vent sometime. Military or not, these are still just kids being kids. Overall, the sportsmanship from both schools has been something to be proud of.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

VMI Keydets NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Big South Conference Tournament Forums (Mar '11) Mar '11 Arenafanatic 1
News Okoye scores 24, VMI beats Southern Virginia 99... (Jan '10) Jan '10 big ed 1
News Marion Man-Valedictorian at VMI (May '08) Dec '09 Liver Puddin 12
News VMI stuns Kentucky, 111-103 (Nov '08) Feb '09 Will Neeley 4
News Twins pull old 'switcheroonie' (Feb '09) Feb '09 CarlZ 13
News Many takers for tickets to UNCA men's home games (Jan '08) Feb '09 jack 17
News Men's basketball notes: Davidson coach all smil... (Dec '08) Dec '08 ginnbozz 3
More from around the web