Jets sign five including former VCU hoops star

Full story: Newsday

The New York Jets signed five free agents Tuesday, including former Virginia Commonwealth basketball star Jesse Pellot-Rosa. The Jets also signed defensive back James Ihedigbo, cornerback Rayshaun Kizer, ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
jets fan

Inwood, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2007

I think this kid got mad hops and he may be a star but how will he fet in.
michael m

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2007

the jets are on right track with a positive express.they outwit.their chief rival.the patriots.new england will regret the signing of moss.the jets make all positive moves.the jets will be in the superbowl before the patriots or the giants.great draft,freeagents and they are not finished as of yet.i hope mr. tannebaum and mr mangini can save their and conserve their energy.mike a m
VCU Rams Fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2007

Jessie is one tough kid. He was all-state in Football out of high school and just decided he would rather play basketball. He has a heart of gold and a drive like few people I've even met. We at VCU wish him luck. I'd love to see him in a couple years as a starter on a Sunday or Monday night game being introduced saying Virginia Commonwealth University. Too cool.

VCU Football, still unbeaten.
Foncell99

Edmonds, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2007

I was the only one, as a boy, who believe the Jets would beat the Cults in Super bowl III
Not since then, have I had a good feeling about the teams chances in the up-coming season. I think we're in for GOOD Football for this season coming, and the ones that will follow it..
Geef Namaats

Shirley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2007

Without taking anything away from other Jets' regimes, but I think that what is marking the New York Jets under Eric Mangini is a creativity and a willingness to listen and explore different avenues- the goal always being to build the Jets into a winning franchise. Here I think you can point to the signing of a former high school football star, Jesse Pellot-Rosa, who never played college football. It would be easy to say that Mangini and Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer are trying to find another Antonio Gates (whom Schotteheimer tutored in San Diego and who, like Pellot-Rosa, never played college football but was a college basketball star at kent State). But I think it's deeper than that. ESPN reported recently on the Jets using the great boxing trainer Teddy Atlas Jr. in their training camp. What's great about Mangini is that he is always willing to try something new, even unconventional ifd it will help the team. Who knows if Pellot-Rosa will become a good football player. The point is by signing players like him and even Division 3 star wide receiver (like Pelott-Rosa, 6'4") Renard Stevens, the Jets are letting no stone unturned. While it's true that signing these "diamonds in the rough" is not the same as signing Randy Moss, because of Moss's age, attitude and history, the moves could, in the long run, prove better for the Jets.
Fernando Screisz

Shirley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2007

Last year, the Jets were criticized for taking two offensive linemen with their first round picks. The picks were unglamorous- and the critics said the Jets should have chosen one of the star college QB's. Well, how did the moves turn out? Sure the QB's all could be All Pros- but none of their three teams made the playoffs. With Chad Pennington, the NFL Comeback Player of the Year, and rookies Mangold and Ferguson (who started every game as rookies), the Jets did make the playoffs. All of this builds trust and goodwill from the Jets' fans towards the Eric Mangini regime. So this year, while it may have been more sexy to keep all the Jets picks and choose "bigger names", the Jets decided to maneuver to draft the players Mangini wanted most, specifically Darrelle Revis and David Harris. What Mangini is doing here is building a foundation of winning football by acquring and developing tough football players who fit into the team's system. I think even mangini would agree that this method is what made franchises like the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 70's and more recently the Patriots succesful. In terms of Jesse Pellott-Rosa, in as far as I can tell, he is a high caharcter, intelligent and tough athlete. In this way, he fits the Jets. The fact that he is 6'4", and was a high school football star means that the Jets may have something special here. Who knows- maybe the plan is to get Pellott-Rosa to put on some weight and develop him into a tight end. Whatver the case, I trust Mangini, and I think the coming year (of course the critics are saying the Jets won't do well because of a tougher schedule) will be very special.
manny24

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2007

Don't get to excited about this Pellot-Rosa guy. The Patriots tried him out and found that he has all the physical attributes needed to play but has alligator arms when going across the middle and stone hands. He could not catch anything!
Stan Levingston

Shirley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2007

I really don't care what the Patriots saw or didn't see with Pellot-Rosa. A try-out exists in a very limited time span, and who knows what was happening with him when he tried out for the Patriots. And what? Just 'cause the Patriots didn't see anything in him, I, as a life-long Jets fan, am supposed to kneel at the altar of the great Bellichick/Paoli temple? Please. Please. They make mistakes, too. All that's being said here is that because I trust Mangini, I trust that he and and his staff know aht they are doing when they advise the front office- Mr. T. to sign Pellot-Rosa. This does not mean the kid will become Otis Taylor. It just means I don't care what Belkichick thinks, I trust Mangini. That's it.
Mouton Tellis

Shirley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2007

Just 'cause the patriots didn't see anything in Pellot-Rosa, that doesn't mean he's not a player. I mean isn't it true that the Patriots are the same franchise that let Curtis Martin leave all those years ago. I am sick and tired of s-called Jets fans looking at the Patriots as some God or whatver. Enough. You see this year- the Patriots are going against everything theyw ere supposed to believe in and have brought in one dimensional low character so-called superstars. And the Jets keep building. I am very encouraged by the Jets moves, and I turst what Mangini-Tannenbaum have been doing.
Freddy Sanchez

Shirley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2007

Right On, Mouton! Thyem so-called Jets fans who are so scared or even respectful of the Patriots make me sick (just try listening to that fake Jets fan Joe Benigno on the air- I really think he's a closet Patriots fan). So just 'cause the Pats didn't sign a player- what does that mean?
Valady_VCU

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2007

Jesse has portrayed leadership with hard work being a assest. NY couldn't have picked a better player. If it had to be football or basketball. Jesse has shown full potential to be one of the best NY Jet's there is. How about it, sit back and continue to watch Pellot-Rosa FLY!! Go Jesse!!
PFC Hurley

Apo, AE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

Pellot Rosa is an outstanding athelete. i watched him for years at vcu. Hard working guy with alot of hard and big time athletic ability. shows great leadership skills also. Look for him to develop into the coaches dream wether the best wr or not. he will work harder than anyone on that team. guaranteed. he would have played football too if VCU had a team. but we dont. haha great scouting job by the jets. they def pulled a "diamond in the rough".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Virginia Commonwealth University NCAA Discussions

Search the Virginia Commonwealth University NCAA Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Men's Basketball: Gahanna grad to play in Final... (Mar '11) Mar '11 hey 1
Rams Ink Smart To Extension - wtvr (Aug '10) Aug '10 surprized 1
Sanders Declares for Draft - wtvr (Apr '10) Apr '10 common sense 1
Bang! VCU knocks off Duke (Mar '07) Mar '07 Southern Yankee 1
Nobody around? (Jan '07) Jan '07 Shawna Anderson 1
Va. Commonwealth defeats Elon 69- 49 (May '06) May '06 bob 1
•••
•••
•••