Rainbows blasted by Aggies - Hawaii S...

Rainbows blasted by Aggies - Hawaii Sports

There are 17 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jan 12, 2010, titled Rainbows blasted by Aggies - Hawaii Sports. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

LOGAN, Utah >> On the plus side, Hawaii held Utah State under 100 points and managed to avoid falling behind by 50.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

satch7

Honolulu, HI

#1 Jan 12, 2010
The sooner we terminate Nash the better the program will be because, if you look at his body of work for the past two yrs. incl. this year, the program has gradually been going downhill and it is on a tailspin that needs a change quickly before , shades of Von Appen, the men's basketball program become the dreg of the WAC. To Bobbi Curran & Artie Wilson, two sports announcers who extolled the hiring of Nash and proclaimed that the coaches poll which picked Hawaii last in the WAC this season is all wrong and Hawaii is better than that, both of you should contribute your salary in buying out Nash's contract as none of you have any, I repeat, any credibility with the public. Yesterday's loss was ABSURB, PATHETIC, AND HUMILIATING 'n if the news media or the A.D. come up with silly excuses that its hard to win on the road, or its not Nash's fault but the players, or injuries etc...etc...then the A.D. needs to be released also. C'mon UH admin. show some "profile in courage" IN MAKING A CHANGE LIKE ANY RESPECTABLE DIV. 1 PROGRAM WOULD DEFINITELY DO IN THIS SIMILAR SITUATION. Nash should actually quit for the better of the program and let Larry Farmer, one of his assts. and a former head coach at UCLA, implement his system and see what he can do as Nash has proven over the last 2 and a half yrs. he is not qualified to be a head coach. Nothing more 'n nothing less.
alice

Hanalei, HI

#2 Jan 12, 2010
UH padded its schedule the first part of the year. The WAC is horribly weak but UH has yet to beat anyone this season.
TVMAN

United States

#3 Jan 12, 2010
What a fiasco! And, I'm not talking about the game. It's about the whole BB program.
First of all, Bob Nash is a good guy. He was a great player and even had a decent pro career. But being a player and being a coach are two different animals and Nash doesn't have what it takes to coach at this level. Consider that he spent some 20 odd years as an assistant. If he had head coaching potential, colleges would have come calling but none came. Does that say something? His current team is made up of underachievers. Fleming is nowhere as advertised and lacks leadership skills. With a few exceptions like Balocka and Campbell, the rest of the team plays without heart. I've never seen a team as uninspired as this one. Extremely poor passing skills. This team is too painful to watch. It's one thing if their play was spirited and you could see that the effort is there but there's nothing in the tank. Unless there's a dramatic turnaround, I don't see Nash coming back next year and that's a sad thing for someone who has given a lot over the years to the sports program.
local

Honolulu, HI

#4 Jan 12, 2010
Donavan, you ought to get some basketball backers and start ponying up some cash and buy Nash out before the program hits bottom which I believe already did. I don't think the fans will wait another year. He's recruiting DII players for a DI program. I was strongly against Donavan as AD and guess what it's showing now. He's weak and should be a AD at the local high school.
basketball success

Honolulu, HI

#5 Jan 12, 2010
The good news is UH didn't give up 100 points. I don't know how I would live with myself if UH gave up 100. Luckily it was only 98. Another 2 points, and it would have been an embarrassment. Oh well, we just gotta absorb it and learn! I get to go have ice cream now.
satch7

Honolulu, HI

#6 Jan 12, 2010
local wrote:
Donavan, you ought to get some basketball backers and start ponying up some cash and buy Nash out before the program hits bottom which I believe already did. I don't think the fans will wait another year. He's recruiting DII players for a DI program. I was strongly against Donavan as AD and guess what it's showing now. He's weak and should be a AD at the local high school.
I strongly concur with all your comments esp. about Nash & Donavan. Just because a person is local or who has been here for a certain amt. of yrs. and understand local culture doesn't qualify that person to be a coach or A.D. at a Div. 1 school. It would have been better bringing in Dick Tomey who knows what it takes to win or some outsider, I repeat, some outsider, who will EXPECT NOTHING BUT THE BEST AND HOLD THE COACHES TO STANDARDS OF EXPECTATIONS COMPARABLE TO OTHE DIV. 1 schools. If we take the attitude of being a nice guy ect...then the basketball program or, even the football program, will gradually fall behind to the point where it will become the dreg of the WAC. As it is right now, both football and basketball are in the lower tier of the WAC conference and its a shameless fact that we are grouped with the New Mexico St., San Jose State, Utah State in the lower echelons of football in the WAC where even Idaho has surpassed Hawaii and in basketball, playing in one of the weakest, if not the weakest basketball conference, Hawaii is at the bottom of the ladder and a pushover for teams that can count on playing Hawaii and getting a victory in the won-lost column. NASH HAS TO GO. THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE. TO SAY THAT HE NEEDS ANOTHER YEAR IS ABSURB AND PATHETIC BY THE A.D. WHO, HIMSELF, SHOULD BE RELEASED.
agree agree agree

Kula, HI

#7 Jan 12, 2010
with all the posters here and on the advertiser board. nash' stewardship of this program has been a disaster and it's getting worse. it doesn't matter who the players are, the team just keeps getting worse. doesn't that tell you something? it's the coach!!! and his staff!!!
Robert

Honolulu, HI

#8 Jan 12, 2010
UH padded its schedule the first part of the year. The WAC is horribly weak but UH has yet to beat anyone this season.

I am not defending the team however they did beat the College of Charleston who went on the beat number 9 North Carolina recently. With that said I believe what we are seeing here is a team that doesn't play hard. They have more talent than they have shown, but it is clear they have either not bought into the system or don't know how to execute it. Even though I like coach Nash as a person it is obvious that his players are not responding to him. Riley Wallace always managed to get the best out of the often limited talent that he had. Colin Cowherd says it all the time "some guys are numbers 1's (head coaches) while others lack the "it" factor and are numbers 2 (assistants and others). We shall see how the rest of the season turns out and if coach Nash can get a dramatic turn around I think he can be given another year, otherwise the search for a new coach needs to begin shortly thereafter.
In the Stands

Honolulu, HI

#9 Jan 12, 2010
I don't want to add to the negative, but it is hard to beat a team that shot 71% in the first half and ended up shooting just below 70% from the field at games end.
hiloboy

Honolulu, HI

#10 Jan 12, 2010
I hate to say it but it's almost like we are throwing games, like there's cash involved. There's a lot of talent on this team being wasted. Nash, please resign now and let Farmer take over, for the sake of UH athletics!
alice

Hanalei, HI

#11 Jan 12, 2010
Nash is a nice man but he is over his head. This entire thing is embarrassing. They almnost lost to Chaminade, a small college with no scholarship players.
Just Watching

Honolulu, HI

#12 Jan 12, 2010
The problem is recruiting good talent. Jackson Wheeler is the lead recruiter but he is an idiot. Everything that comes out of his mouth hog wash. I met him and all he talked about was me. me ,me.
B-Ball

Honolulu, HI

#13 Jan 12, 2010
alice wrote:
UH beat College of Charleston, and C of C beat North Carolina.
get real

Richardson, TX

#14 Jan 12, 2010
satch7 wrote:
The sooner we terminate Nash the better the program will be because, if you look at his body of work for the past two yrs. incl. this year, the program has gradually been going downhill and it is on a tailspin that needs a change quickly before , shades of Von Appen, the men's basketball program become the dreg of the WAC. To Bobbi Curran & Artie Wilson, two sports announcers who extolled the hiring of Nash and proclaimed that the coaches poll which picked Hawaii last in the WAC this season is all wrong and Hawaii is better than that, both of you should contribute your salary in buying out Nash's contract as none of you have any, I repeat, any credibility with the public. Yesterday's loss was ABSURB, PATHETIC, AND HUMILIATING 'n if the news media or the A.D. come up with silly excuses that its hard to win on the road, or its not Nash's fault but the players, or injuries etc...etc...then the A.D. needs to be released also. C'mon UH admin. show some "profile in courage" IN MAKING A CHANGE LIKE ANY RESPECTABLE DIV. 1 PROGRAM WOULD DEFINITELY DO IN THIS SIMILAR SITUATION. Nash should actually quit for the better of the program and let Larry Farmer, one of his assts. and a former head coach at UCLA, implement his system and see what he can do as Nash has proven over the last 2 and a half yrs. he is not qualified to be a head coach. Nothing more 'n nothing less.
You can add Dave Reardon of the SB of lacking any credibility when he wrote a preseason article about the Bows having a legitimate shot at the post season tournament. What a joke. Fans are upset now, but what's worse is apathy is about to set in.
coachrandy

Honolulu, HI

#15 Jan 12, 2010
seems like the team has taken on nash's laid back attitude in the way they play. shooting 71%, yea, give utah st. credit, but where's the defense? this team doesn't play defense. all uh opponents are going to have career days from 3 point and beyond or in the lane. no one plays defense on that team except campbell.
HERM FROM PHILLY

Honolulu, HI

#16 Jan 12, 2010
satch7 wrote:
Could not have put it any better! It all starts with the AD and his astute evaluation of coaching talent (Football: Strike one!, Basketball: Strike two!) At this rate, you will easily make us forget about "you know who."
Then, it takes someone like Head UH Cheerleader Bobby Curran to continue to stoke the fire. I remember him saying that Williams and Lay were automatic from 3 point range and that we were so much better because we got rid of 2 bricklayers. Nitoto may have been a bricklayer, but he played hard. Yes, Bobby, you go ahead and keep shaking those green and white pompoms! Keep feeding us more of your "knowledge" and keep on believing that no on is on to you.
alice

Hanalei, HI

#17 Jan 13, 2010
alice wrote:
Nash is a nice man but he is over his head. This entire thing is embarrassing. They almnost lost to Chaminade, a small college with no scholarship players.
true..UH is a joke in major sports.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utah State University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Notebook: Injuries force USD players to miss out (Mar '14) Mar '14 Andrew Thoseby 1
News Utah St falls to No. 7 San Diego St 74-69 in OT (Jan '14) Jan '14 bahce 1
News Utah State - College football's most underrated... (Oct '12) Oct '12 P_Smith 1
News The Morning After: Utah State-Wisconsin MVPs, F... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Matt from Columbus 2
News Former Miner Nick Vaught goes bowling with Utah... (Dec '11) Dec '11 football fan 1
News On and On with Bob Sansevere: NFL draft analyst... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Army CPT at Ft Lee 52
News Winning time unkind to Aggie men's basketball team (Mar '11) Mar '11 The Fan 4
More from around the web