Aggies going Dancing

Aggies going Dancing

There are 18 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Mar 13, 2010, titled Aggies going Dancing. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

New Mexico State won its second Western Athletic Conference tournament title in its five years in the league with a 69-63 victory over top-seeded Utah State on Saturday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

AggieFan

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Mar 13, 2010
Nice win tonight, NMSU. It looked like the Aggies in red wanted it more than the Aggies in blue. NMSU has the best team in the conference, top to bottom, and they showed it in the last two games. NMSU should, and did, win.

I am hoping that the Aggies continue to focus on getting the ball inside to their big men. They seem to do so much better playing that way than taking the first outside shot.

Best of luck in the NCAA tourney.
AGGIES WIN WIN

Farmington, NM

#2 Mar 13, 2010
This team is riding high, hey are great and are going to cause damage in the NCAA Tourni, mark my words!!!!!
AggieFan

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Mar 14, 2010
Still jacked, and can't sleep.

Thought I'd add that in addition to playing pretty darn good defense, and playing a smart offensive game plan, the other factor to their win was the battle of the turnover. They limited turnovers to what had to be a season best or equal to it. No silly passes, no careless dribbling, no risky ball handling...and only one really bad turnover. It occurred at the end of the game when Gibson turned the ball over when Utah State was trying to foul the Aggies. Outside of that, tremendous game.

And the Aggies beat Nevada at home and Utah State on the road. That says a lot about them.
Go Aggies

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Mar 14, 2010
Great win Aggies! Now go and make your mark in the NCAA tourney. WIN AGGIES WIN!
FunkV

Seattle, WA

#5 Mar 14, 2010
Well said AggieFan. I'd also like to add that this team has a lot of character, they showed tremendous heart, especially in the last five minutes when I thought they could not possibly have anything left in the tank. After the battle in the semi's and little help from the bench, the starters really dug deep. Incidentally, I do not understand why Menzies fails to play his bench more.

Lastly, it's fantastic that NMSU, UNM, and UTEP will be dancing!(btw, Utah State deserves a bid too)
Crimson and White

Santa Fe, NM

#6 Mar 14, 2010
It is true what some people say "he who laughs last laughs best." where are all the haters that were on here last week that were killing the aggies, it's time for them to come out of hiding and give this team its due. We are going to the BIG DANCE and who ever we play first underestimate us at your own risk.
NEW MEXICO STATE AGGIES 2010 WAC CHAMPIONS!!!
EP Aggie Fan

El Paso, TX

#8 Mar 14, 2010
YEESSSS!!! Great job Aggies, carry this momentum into the big dance!
Lobo Hater

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Mar 14, 2010
Maybe we can get another shot at the Lobos in the 1st round.

Anyway great win! Played great defense, and did not turn the ball over. Hope we can do that in the tournament.

Menzies gets to stay for another year, or probably 3 more now. This will be a very special team next year if these guys stay eligible.

Go Aggies!!
lobo1shane

Sterling Heights, MI

#10 Mar 14, 2010
I hate the Aggies. I love the Lobos. But next week all I can say is "Good luck Aggies, in the NCAA's!
PJbad

Scottsdale, AZ

#11 Mar 14, 2010
I have a bad feeling we won't be hearing from PEEj.
Nate

Espanola, NM

#12 Mar 14, 2010
LET'S DANCE!! I WISH I DIDN'T LIVE UP NORTH. ALL THREE NEWS STATIONS HAVE YET TO TALK ABOUT THE AGGIES.....PRETTY SAD! GO AGGIES, YOU HAVE A GREAT SHOT TO TAKE OUT MSU.
NMSU Aggie

Las Cruces, NM

#13 Mar 14, 2010
Much love to UTEP And UNM form making the tourney. The good the bad and the ugly. The ugly is P.P. J who is this loser, give him some hater-aid. The bad is I hope since Marvin Menzies resent success means NMSU loses him to another basketball program with deeper pockets. The good is that the AGGIES are in the DANCE, Sweet 16, I hope. Michagan St. is tough.
former AGGIE

Penasco, NM

#14 Mar 14, 2010
Crimson and White wrote:
It is true what some people say "he who laughs last laughs best." where are all the haters that were on here last week that were killing the aggies, it's time for them to come out of hiding and give this team its due. We are going to the BIG DANCE and who ever we play first underestimate us at your own risk.
NEW MEXICO STATE AGGIES 2010 WAC CHAMPIONS!!!
Crimson, no one on here last week was hating on the Aggies. Almost exclusively everyone wanted the best for the Aggies. You are not the only one on here that wants well for the Aggies, as I told you a couple of weeks ago. Most of the negative comments have to do with the Aggies lack of desire to play hard and defend , NOT their lack of ability to do so. I also told you that my gripe is that the Aggies have more athletic ability, and by far, than the other WAC teams. The lack of effort on the defensive end , especially on the perimeter , and mostly by Young and Gibson, almost cost us again. We won because we imposed ourselves in the paint. Guess what, we are stronger and more athletic there also ( in the WAC!!!!). Young did have a few clutch shots, and to someone like you who knows litte about the game except that you are an Aggie fan, that made him the hero. Trust me when I tell you that his lack of offense was a trade off due to his effort on defense. He was spent, and mainly because they (mainly he ) had their backs against a wall and HAD to battle and defend or stay home. He had nothing left, and that is a direct result of Menzies allowing the team to coast for much of the season.
I wish them well, and am as excited as you are. But Michigan State will not be soft in any area. They will attack, and Tom Izzo is a hardcore coach who demands 40 minutes from his players. Andy Katz just said on ESPN that the Aggies are way too soft on defense, and he would not be surprised if Michigan St. scores 100. Yahoo ( rivals.com ) capsule for the Mid-west bracket hit the nail on the head. Perhaps you should read it. It specifically calls Young out for his lack of effort and Menszies for not coaching his team. It also talks about the seeming unwillingness of the team to get after it on defense.
If you think that Utah State's guards got to the rim , wait till you see Michigan St. Maybe you can't remember the clutch possession of the game that won it for our AGGIES, but it had to do with Young moving out of the way to give up an uncontested layup so he could cherry pick and not foul. Gillenwater swatted the ball out for the break and we got a three pt. play on the other end. Young was the hero , I Guess???

I will be cheering along with you for the AGGIES on Friday, but spare us the drama.
Wrong

Las Cruces, NM

#15 Mar 14, 2010
former AGGIE wrote:
<quoted text>
Crimson, no one on here last week was hating on the Aggies. Almost exclusively everyone wanted the best for the Aggies. You are not the only one on here that wants well for the Aggies, as I told you a couple of weeks ago. Most of the negative comments have to do with the Aggies lack of desire to play hard and defend , NOT their lack of ability to do so. I also told you that my gripe is that the Aggies have more athletic ability, and by far, than the other WAC teams. The lack of effort on the defensive end , especially on the perimeter , and mostly by Young and Gibson, almost cost us again. We won because we imposed ourselves in the paint. Guess what, we are stronger and more athletic there also ( in the WAC!!!!). Young did have a few clutch shots, and to someone like you who knows litte about the game except that you are an Aggie fan, that made him the hero. Trust me when I tell you that his lack of offense was a trade off due to his effort on defense. He was spent, and mainly because they (mainly he ) had their backs against a wall and HAD to battle and defend or stay home. He had nothing left, and that is a direct result of Menzies allowing the team to coast for much of the season.
I wish them well, and am as excited as you are. But Michigan State will not be soft in any area. They will attack, and Tom Izzo is a hardcore coach who demands 40 minutes from his players. Andy Katz just said on ESPN that the Aggies are way too soft on defense, and he would not be surprised if Michigan St. scores 100. Yahoo ( rivals.com ) capsule for the Mid-west bracket hit the nail on the head. Perhaps you should read it. It specifically calls Young out for his lack of effort and Menszies for not coaching his team. It also talks about the seeming unwillingness of the team to get after it on defense.
If you think that Utah State's guards got to the rim , wait till you see Michigan St. Maybe you can't remember the clutch possession of the game that won it for our AGGIES, but it had to do with Young moving out of the way to give up an uncontested layup so he could cherry pick and not foul. Gillenwater swatted the ball out for the break and we got a three pt. play on the other end. Young was the hero , I Guess???
I will be cheering along with you for the AGGIES on Friday, but spare us the drama.
You're wrong. There have been lots of people hating on the Aggies and Menzie. Look at the other threads. The proof is in the pudding.
former AGGIE

Penasco, NM

#16 Mar 14, 2010
Wrong, this is where you are wrong. A lot of people hammer the Aggies because they will not play hard. It has nothing to do with not wanting them to win. Menzies IS the reason for their lack of effort. They had that effort in the tournament. I don't know where you and Crimson get that everyone wanted them to lose. Many expected them to play without the effort they have seen in this program , and expected them to lose. I also don't believe many are surprised that they won. They SHOULD HAVE!! We are by far the most talented team in the WAC!!! BY FAR. The last time a WAC team had this much talent, it was OUR AGGIES under Theus. Many on here, including myself, can see the major shortcomings in our program, and they are fixable, or WERE fixable. You cannot turn it on and off against Michigan St. As a coach, you cannot let your team dictate to you what they want to do. You cannot let your gaurds go solo whenever they want, and you cannot play uninspired defense ( of course, in the WAC you can if you have the talent ). We will play hard against Michigan St, mainly because it will be on national television and a chance to showcase INDIVIDUAL talent. It will be very interesting to see just how team oriented and coachable this version of the Aggies is on Friday. Hopefully, it will be enough.
Crimson and White

Santa Fe, NM

#17 Mar 14, 2010
Fomer aggie that's a bunch of BULL!!! Go look back at the Utah st and Nevada threads from last week. Almost everyone was leaving the aggies for dead and calling for marvin's head. Go look and tell me what you see.
GO AGGIES UPSET THE SPARTANS!!
former AGGIE

Penasco, NM

#18 Mar 14, 2010
PAY ATTENTION!!! Crimson.

Many Aggie fans EXPECTED them to lose. So did I. However , none of us WANTED them to lose. You seem to have an affixation on ha ha I am an aggie fan and I told you so.

How about this. I don't EXPECT the Aggies to beat Michigan St. I WANT them to win. You WANT them to win. YOU EXPECT them to win because they are this awesome team out of the WAC that dominates with their effort and defense. So IF they lose, stand by!!!
Crimson and White

Santa Fe, NM

#19 Mar 14, 2010
former AGGIE wrote:
PAY ATTENTION!!! Crimson.
Many Aggie fans EXPECTED them to lose. So did I. However , none of us WANTED them to lose. You seem to have an affixation on ha ha I am an aggie fan and I told you so.
How about this. I don't EXPECT the Aggies to beat Michigan St. I WANT them to win. You WANT them to win. YOU EXPECT them to win because they are this awesome team out of the WAC that dominates with their effort and defense. So IF they lose, stand by!!!
you know what man, you believe whatever you want to. I know how tough MSU is going to be. They played in the national title game last year and Tom izzo is a top 5 coach in the country. I know it's going to take more then alot for the aggies to win on Friday. In my heart of hearts do I think the aggies are going to win Friday...no I don't, but I will be cheering for them none the less. I'm not going to argue with you anymore cause as far as I'm concerned we are on the same side and we both want the same thing and that is what is best for the aggies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utah State University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Notebook: Injuries force USD players to miss out (Mar '14) Mar '14 Andrew Thoseby 1
News Utah St falls to No. 7 San Diego St 74-69 in OT (Jan '14) Jan '14 bahce 1
News Utah State - College football's most underrated... (Oct '12) Oct '12 P_Smith 1
News The Morning After: Utah State-Wisconsin MVPs, F... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Matt from Columbus 2
News Former Miner Nick Vaught goes bowling with Utah... (Dec '11) Dec '11 football fan 1
News On and On with Bob Sansevere: NFL draft analyst... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Army CPT at Ft Lee 52
News Winning time unkind to Aggie men's basketball team (Mar '11) Mar '11 The Fan 4
More from around the web