Coaches rank UH last in conference - ...

Coaches rank UH last in conference - Hawaii Sports

There are 8 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Oct 21, 2009, titled Coaches rank UH last in conference - Hawaii Sports. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Warning: In case of complacency, break out polls. If the Hawaii men's basketball team ever finds itself lacking material in the "chip on the shoulder" department, it doesn't need a stirring speech.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

BAD DOG

AOL

#1 Oct 21, 2009
I thought this ranking was for the football team. Thanks to the head coach and his band of wannabees, they will always be on the bottom of the stats. UH need to get rid of the cast of coachs. Hire someone with better credentials.
Joe More

Redmond, WA

#2 Oct 21, 2009
So will it be a moral victory if the men's team ends the season second-to-last?
Yeah2

AOL

#3 Oct 21, 2009
Where else are you suppose to rank them? I think the poll was pretty nice.
Greatwall

Honolulu, HI

#5 Oct 21, 2009
I'd be happy if they finished .500 in league play. The nonconference schedule is weak at best. The only decent games are BYU, New Mexico and @ UCI. The rest are games to pad the win column for Nash.

Didn't Nash have a condition that if he reached 18 wins this season his contract would be extended? Can't remember the specifics but when i went throught the schedule it's doubthful he'll reach 18 this season. If he does, the bulk of those wins will come in non-conference. I think this is kind of a payoff year for the team seeing as how many returnees they have.

All that said, i can't believe they were picked last in both polls. I predict about a 5th or 6th place finish but i think they have to talent to finish much higher. Only time will tell. LETS GO WARRIORS.
Flemings needs to step up

United States

#6 Oct 21, 2009
Thanks Greatwall for staying on topic. I am always surprised at the end of the game how many points Flemings scored because his points are "quiet" points. He hardly seems to score or be visible at crunch time when the team needs a big basket. I hope he proves me wrong this year.
Greatwall

Honolulu, HI

#7 Oct 21, 2009
Flemings needs to step up wrote:
Thanks Greatwall for staying on topic. I am always surprised at the end of the game how many points Flemings scored because his points are "quiet" points. He hardly seems to score or be visible at crunch time when the team needs a big basket. I hope he proves me wrong this year.
I feel the team as a whole kind of disappeared during crunch time last year, not just Flemings. With the exception of the 2 wins against LaTech, the team just couldn't finish. Flemings should definitely be improved this year as he says his injury has fully healed. Hopefully the 2 news guards are as good as advertised so they can open things up for Flemings. Last year's 3 point shooting was pitiful to say the least.

I'm excited for this year. If they stay injury-free i really think they can make the postseason. The biggest question marks are the 2 new guards and how much the returnees have improved over last season. After all it doesn't matter how many returnees your have, if they haven't improved, they'll be the same crappy team as last year.
Honolulu Matt

Honolulu, HI

#10 Oct 21, 2009
Not sure why the entire WAC is so low on UH. It must be a referendum on Nash, who actually has a decent amount of talent on this team.

Flemings is not the best scorer in the WAC, but there are few if any players who has his overall set of tools. He has a post game, a mid-range game, he gets to the line slashing to the basket, he rebounds and makes plays on defense. He's way above 2nd team All-WAC talent.

Amis seemed to regress last year offensively, but that can be attributed to UH having the worst perimeter game in the country. Opposing teams' bunkers also hurt all the other frontcourt players including Flemings.

Dwain Williams can flat out shoot the rock. The stats and experience tell it all. If Lay and Kurtz are starter-calibre players, UH should seek a top-4 finish in the WAC.

-They can rebound
-They have a very deep frontcourt
-They can shoot FT's

This combination of strengths is very unique to mid-majors in general, not only the WAC.
Dwain Sawh

San Antonio, TX

#11 Oct 22, 2009
It's ok this is just a rebuilding year for UH. We got a few new guys and some guys on injured list. We still got a few more games to play. Next year we are gonna be back where we belong as champs. Go Warriors !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utah State University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Notebook: Injuries force USD players to miss out (Mar '14) Mar '14 Andrew Thoseby 1
News Utah St falls to No. 7 San Diego St 74-69 in OT (Jan '14) Jan '14 bahce 1
News Utah State - College football's most underrated... (Oct '12) Oct '12 P_Smith 1
News The Morning After: Utah State-Wisconsin MVPs, F... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Matt from Columbus 2
News Former Miner Nick Vaught goes bowling with Utah... (Dec '11) Dec '11 football fan 1
News On and On with Bob Sansevere: NFL draft analyst... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Army CPT at Ft Lee 52
News Winning time unkind to Aggie men's basketball team (Mar '11) Mar '11 The Fan 4
More from around the web