County's high school football players...

County's high school football players find ways to be seen to g...

There are 4 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Jan 26, 2010, titled County's high school football players find ways to be seen to g.... In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

St. Francis High’s Tyler Sambrailo, a first-team all-state lineman, gave a verbal commitment to play for Colorado State University and will sign Feb.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

Mando Morlos

Oakland, CA

#1 Jan 26, 2010
LIke I have said many times. This last year was the best year for local football in the last 15 years. There is a long list of players from this years class who will go on to have stellar college carrers.

To give an example of just how deep the talent level was this year, I'll give you this example. A few years ago Arron Williams was taking hand-offs for the aptos mariners. Now, in only his sophmore season he is an All-Conference Running back for linefield college. If Aaron would of graduated this year he would of been the 4th best running back in the league.(behind Nico Alercon of Soquel, Kyle Todd of SLV, and Jacob Miller of St. Francis). And this is just one example. The area was also unuseully deep in talent at wide-reciever, as well as Quarter Back.

Now, does this mean that they will all recieve scholarships? Of-course not. People do not realize how difficult it is to set yourself apart from the 1000's of athaletes who play each position. As a result, unless you have a rare set measurable physical talent (especially big, fast, tall, etc), chances are you will be overlooked. Lets face it, there are a lot of guys who are 5'10, 180 lbs and run 4.6's. And this is why guys like Aldin Barret, and Dwight Lowery get overlooked. And college coach's don't make recruiting decisions bassed off of calhisports all-state list or any post season awards.

This is one of the reasons why Cabrillo has been so sucessfull in getting our local athaletes of to 4 year programs. It gives guys who didn't posses Elite physical traits a chance to prove that they have the ability to get it done where it matters the most....on the field.

Another example is the QB postion. We have had 4 Division 1 Qb's come out of this area.

1990 Trent Dilfer - Aptos - Fresno State
1995 Mike Murphy - Aptos - Cal (berkley)
2000? Nick Noche - cabrillo - Arkansas State
2009 Blake Jurich -SV- San Jose State

Murphy, and Jurich had the best set of physical skills of the bunch and as a result were recruited heavier. However Dilfer and Noche have had more succesful carrers (time will tell with Jurich). Furthermore, the best High School QB is not even on that list. Jerry Alvarez is hands down the best player in any postion to have played recently in this county, and he may be(unfortunatley) totally passed over in favor of taller players.

The reality is that we have about a dozen or so local football players who are on the bubble, and may or may not get picked up this year. Grey Shirts do not count...NCAA Division 1 Schools are not allowed to give athletic scholarships to grey shirts (a.k.a. when an athelete does not enroll as a full time student).

Of the ones who don't get picked up this year, those who stay local and play at cabrillo will be the ones who will have the best chance of getting scholarships. Football is a marathon that takes years of training and in life there are so many things that can slow you down. Things that an 18 year old never considers, events that can jeapordize your ability to stay focused for years on end. Like a parent getting sick, car breaking down, coaching staff getting fired, financial aid checks being delayed, pregnancy, injury, you name it.

Truthfully, a coach in Arizona, or even DeAnza cares very little if a kid is from S.V. or St. Francis. And they will if a competition for a position is close useully give the spot to a local kid. But a Coach from Cabrillo of Aptos has a vested interst in making sure his local athaletes have every opportunity. Staying local will not only help them on the field, but useully will give them the support young adults need to help them when life's little troubles pop up.

Personally I am looking forward to following this class as they move on. My guess is that they will do very well.

-Mando
Jeremy Tai Monterey FB

Honolulu, HI

#2 Jan 29, 2010
Past season freshman year, broke some JV records. 6'3 230lb
played both sides of the ball, QB, RB, DTE, Punter
He was to move up to V if they made state
someone shouldlook this kid up as he goes to v this coming season.
hey Mando

Brisbane, CA

#3 Jan 29, 2010
Let's not forget how important making a big splash at the bottom of the slide at Raging Waters is! haha

:)

Where is your studio now? Are you still in Aptos?

K77
Mando Morlos

San Jose, CA

#4 Feb 9, 2010
hey Mando wrote:
Let's not forget how important making a big splash at the bottom of the slide at Raging Waters is! haha
:)
Where is your studio now? Are you still in Aptos?
K77
Hey! Whats up my man! We were just talking about you. How did your season go?

And yes I moved my studio. We are in Corralitos now. Get in Contact with me via my web-site.

www.mandomorlos.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utah State University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Notebook: Injuries force USD players to miss out (Mar '14) Mar '14 Andrew Thoseby 1
News Utah St falls to No. 7 San Diego St 74-69 in OT (Jan '14) Jan '14 bahce 1
News Utah State - College football's most underrated... (Oct '12) Oct '12 P_Smith 1
News The Morning After: Utah State-Wisconsin MVPs, F... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Matt from Columbus 2
News Former Miner Nick Vaught goes bowling with Utah... (Dec '11) Dec '11 football fan 1
News On and On with Bob Sansevere: NFL draft analyst... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Army CPT at Ft Lee 52
News Winning time unkind to Aggie men's basketball team (Mar '11) Mar '11 The Fan 4
More from around the web