If attendance falters, NMSU's 1A stat...

If attendance falters, NMSU's 1A status will be put on hold, WA...

There are 12 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Jun 7, 2008, titled If attendance falters, NMSU's 1A status will be put on hold, WA.... In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Western Athletic Conference Commissioner Karl Benson said that if New Mexico State University fails to live up to the football attendance standards set by the NCAA, they will be dropped from Division 1A ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

maven

Los Lunas, NM

#1 Jun 8, 2008
Seems like a chicken and egg thing. If the football team would win more games, then the attendance would rise. If there were more people in the stands, then the team might be motivated to win more games...
Alex

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jun 8, 2008
Maven, I agree with your take. It's not even being motivated by having people in the stands. It's about having a true home field advantage. About making tons of noise when the opponent is facing a 3rd down conversion or making so much noise that a player cannot hear an audible. I'm going to be harping on this point all offseason. Lets drop the what have they done for me lately attitude, and get to the stadium on game day. Its going to be a lot of fun.
McKinley Celtics

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Jun 8, 2008
Can't we just fudge the numbers a bit? I mean, 14,412 is almost 15,000!
we not

Encino, NM

#4 Jun 8, 2008
McKinley Celtics wrote:
Can't we just fudge the numbers a bit? I mean, 14,412 is almost 15,000!
They already fudge the numbers. They count people in cars going past on thehighway. Flag football is not a crowd pleaser.
Patrick

Farmington, NM

#5 Jun 8, 2008
The Aggies will be better off at 1AA or lower because we want a winner regardless. By going to a lower division, they may win championships, increasing attendance as a result. As an NMSU alumn, and father of three other NMSU alumni, we would be thrilled to watch the Aggies play anybody, but even more thrilled to see them win, which a move to a lower division will bring us.
Patrick

Farmington, NM

#6 Jun 8, 2008
We want and need a winning team, regardless of who they play.
Alex

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jun 9, 2008
Dropping down I don't think should even be on the table. Sure an argument can be made that we'd be more competitive in football. But that may not happen, because if you think the State gives us the short-end of the stick right now, just wait and see what happens when we aren't competitive against UNM. The money will dry up faster than the dirt around here. And what happens to basketball if we drop down. They won't be competing against quality programs like: Nevada and Utah St. Dropping down a division will have a trickle down effect, that I believe, would end a lot of quality programs at NMSU. Like volleyball.
Judas

Huntsville, AL

#8 Jun 9, 2008
The team should already be motivated by their free tuition, fees, free tutoring, etc. If they are not motivated they should not be getting a free ride.
WIaggie

Nashotah, WI

#9 Jun 9, 2008
Certainly Aggie fans definitely need to step up to the plate this season and support the football team, however, i don't feel attendance will be an issue this season for a number of reasons.

First, the Aggies have 4 home games that should draw at least 20,000 fans. The annual rivalry game against UNM should sell out, homecoming vs. Boise State (the last four Homecoming games have averaged 19,000) and the home game against Hawai'i. Add in the Tough Enough To Wear Pink game against San Jose State which drew well over 15,000 fans last year (against Arkansas Pine-Bluff).

We would certainly expect there to be at least 15,000 fans for the home opener against Nicholls State (although had Wyoming not dropped the Aggies from their schedule the home opener would have been a guaranteed high attendance game). That leaves just the game against Louisiana Tech as a question mark.

Should the Aggies have the kind of successful season we expect them to have this game could be one that clinches bowl eligibility and attendance would not be a problem for this game either.

sorry haters but this season the Aggies will beat the attendance average record of 22,162 which was set back in the 2002 season. That year the Aggies went undefeated at home.
Alex

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Jun 9, 2008
Judas wrote:
The team should already be motivated by their free tuition, fees, free tutoring, etc. If they are not motivated they should not be getting a free ride.
By your faulty logic, every program in the nation should have a winning tradition, or no program at all.
Trey

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Jun 9, 2008
What a joke! We've known for years that NMSU doesn't belong in Div 1A and this just proves it.
Alex

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Jun 9, 2008
It proves nothing Trey. You and your ilk continue to show ignorance and a terrible attitude regarding this issue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utah State Aggies NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Utah State - College football's most underrated... (Oct '12) Oct '12 P_Smith 1
News The Morning After: Utah State-Wisconsin MVPs, F... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Matt from Columbus 2
News Former Miner Nick Vaught goes bowling with Utah... (Dec '11) Dec '11 football fan 1
News On and On with Bob Sansevere: NFL draft analyst... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Army CPT at Ft Lee 52
News Miner to Midshipman to Aggie - The Park Record (Feb '11) Mar '11 Local Observer 7
News Tough sledding: NMSU hangs tough, falls at Utah... (Nov '10) Nov '10 My Friend Mike 11
News BYU furthers losing streak to Utah State, 31-11 (Oct '10) Oct '10 Patrick 1
More from around the web