COMMENTARY: Aggies needed game before...

COMMENTARY: Aggies needed game before Nebraska

There are 18 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Aug 31, 2008, titled COMMENTARY: Aggies needed game before Nebraska. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

There had been a great deal of anticipation in many regards leading up to Thursday's home opener for the New Mexico State football team.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

Jokester

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Sep 1, 2008
So the score will be 150-0 instead of 75-0? But we'll get a good pay check of it, right?
Jeff

United States

#2 Sep 1, 2008
The Huskers are a long ways away from being quite the power they were back in the '90s. Rather than dreading the game, NM State ought to see this is an opportunity. The game is win-able; do so, and you just became a potential Cinderella team. You would be surprised what a win like that can do for a team's confidence level.

On the other hand, the Huskers are looking to pad the record book, which has taken something of a beating over the last five years. NM State can win; the game will come down to who wants it the most. In the first game of the season, while much more motivated this year than last, the Husker defense still gave up something like 350 yards. They are vulnerable, a real work in progress.
Bret

Colorado Springs, CO

#3 Sep 1, 2008
Yeah right Jeff, I mean come on get real here. I agree the Huskers have a ways to go on Defense, but How about that offense? do you really believe a young, untested NMS defense can stop Ganz & CO? we may be along way from the power of the 90's, but the Big Red will not surrender to the Aggies anytime soon. I like the way you think, but its not fessible, Huskers 62, NMSU 7
ABC

United States

#4 Sep 1, 2008
Its winnable. Not likely. But I see us being a lot more competitive than most.
Elsie YesSir

Las Cruces, NM

#5 Sep 1, 2008
What nonsense all this is. Look, our football team cannot ever (and I mean EVER) have a winning season under this coagulate coach with his huge bevy of assistant coaches. Led on by such talk by them, the players waste their time talking about a post-season bowl game. If the players --- and the coaches --- fixed their sights on the next game, they might just win one. Once in a while. In the meantime, I still think that we should just have our four teams in town play one another each weekend. Two stadia and two games every Saturday. No expenses for road trips. Lots of local excitement. Kids off the streets each weekend. What a possibility!!! And we ignore it.
HoosierHusker

Homewood, IL

#6 Sep 1, 2008
Why couldn't Nichols State play in NM? that way they would be safe?
Jeepers

United States

#7 Sep 1, 2008
Elsie YesSir wrote:
What nonsense all this is. Look, our football team cannot ever (and I mean EVER) have a winning season under this coagulate coach with his huge bevy of assistant coaches. Led on by such talk by them, the players waste their time talking about a post-season bowl game. If the players --- and the coaches --- fixed their sights on the next game, they might just win one. Once in a while. In the meantime, I still think that we should just have our four teams in town play one another each weekend. Two stadia and two games every Saturday. No expenses for road trips. Lots of local excitement. Kids off the streets each weekend. What a possibility!!! And we ignore it.
What four teams? You aren't seriously one of those people that think high school teams (made up of boys) could compete against a D1 team (made up of men). It's ignored because it's a dumb idea. No offense.
Why--you ask

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Sep 1, 2008
"Why couldn't Nichols State play in NM? that way they would be safe?"
A) We need to fill our stadium, we're going to lose our Division I status if we don't.
B) The Nicholls State players may actually want to be with their families.
bob

Wichita, KS

#9 Sep 1, 2008
Nebraska's offense is good especially with Joe Ganz at QB, 350 yards passing against a Western Mich team that had 10 returning starters on def. No way NM will be able to win even if it turns into a shoot out because Nebraska would be able to make the few stops needed to win the game.
Husker stuck in Kansas

Lawrence, KS

#10 Sep 1, 2008
I would rather see NM play the game (or any game) against Nicholls State to get their team better prepared to face NU. 60-7 games are nice but really doesn't help either team other than get a lot of 3rd and 4th string players some time on the field. NU has a long ways to go and I would rather see a close game early in the season to prepare us for the rest of the Big 12 schedule. Defense effort has dramatically improved but made too many mental errors Saturday night.

Best wishes to NS team and families during the storm and hope to see a lot of NM fans in Lincoln.
GO BIG RED!
Elsie YesSir

Las Cruces, NM

#11 Sep 1, 2008
Jeepers thinks that our High School football teams are not as good as NMSU's? This is understandable because he lives in Albuquerque. Our HS football is very good here, and NMSU's football stinks to high heaven or low hell, I don't know which.
aggiefansince83

Las Cruces, NM

#12 Sep 2, 2008
Elsie it doesn't matter how good a high school team or how bad a college team is a high school team would get killed by any college team. You seriously think a 16 or 17 year old offensive lineman at Mayfield who weigh's maybe 220 pounds has any chance at all against a 21 or 22 year old defensive lineman at NMSU that weighs about 260-280?

I watch every NMSU game. I go to one high school game a year and that is the Cruces vs Mayfield game. Trust me the talent level and skill level is not even close. The NMSU players are so much faster and stronger. You are crazy if you think teenage boys can beat young men that are in some cases twice their size.
Alligator King

Fort Collins, CO

#13 Sep 2, 2008
I don't think NMSU stands a chance in Lincoln, and a game prior wouldn't have helped much. Nebraska on the other hand would have seen the Aggies on film and do not have that added advantage now. My prediction: NU 67 NMSU 7. NU fans will get to see QB Patrick Witt when he relieves Ganz.
Kevin

Mena, AR

#14 Sep 2, 2008
I think the fact NMSU doesn't play a game before Nebraska is a big problem. Sure they get an extra week to practice and yea NU won't have any game film from this year to go off of, but do you think that will really matter? I think it's more important to have a game under your belts and work out some kinks then it is to be practicing. REAL game situations are the only time you will learn some key things. Nicholls St. would not be a better opponent then they probably get in scrimmages, but it's still the game situation that matters.
So AZ Husker

Vancouver, WA

#15 Sep 2, 2008
Good look to New Mexico State, I am sure you will have a memoriable trip to Lincoln. The fans there are both Gracious and Kind to opponents, plus it is a big payday for you. I only wish NU could come to Las Cruces, being that I live 3 hrs away. I have two recomendations for those traveling to lincoln, Avoid Mexican Food in Nebraska, and Try a Nebraska Steak, you will not be disappointed. Best of luck. Go Huskers

TM....

Southern Arizonans for Nebraska
NU 91-94
David

Devon, PA

#16 Sep 5, 2008
Despite what the author of this article thinks, Nicholls State is a division one program, just not I-A. There is a big difference between a I-AA program and a Division II program.

As for NMSU to have been able to use this game as a confidence booster, Nicholls State is no easy team. This is a team that last year went into Houston last year and defeated Rice on opening weekend.
HuskerFan189

Lincoln, NE

#17 Sep 5, 2008
Welcome to the Sea of Red...
Jesse James

San Marcos, CA

#18 Sep 8, 2008
Look at the stats of the San Jose game. The huskers got outplayed on paper. The game was a lot closer than the score showed. The key will be for the Aggies to stop the run. Nebraska has a bunch of lineman drafted to pass block and they are not very good at blocking the run. The Aggies need to play 8 up front and force Nebraska to throw.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utah State Aggies NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Utah State - College football's most underrated... (Oct '12) Oct '12 P_Smith 1
News The Morning After: Utah State-Wisconsin MVPs, F... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Matt from Columbus 2
News Former Miner Nick Vaught goes bowling with Utah... (Dec '11) Dec '11 football fan 1
News On and On with Bob Sansevere: NFL draft analyst... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Army CPT at Ft Lee 52
News Miner to Midshipman to Aggie - The Park Record (Feb '11) Mar '11 Local Observer 7
News Tough sledding: NMSU hangs tough, falls at Utah... (Nov '10) Nov '10 My Friend Mike 11
News BYU furthers losing streak to Utah State, 31-11 (Oct '10) Oct '10 Patrick 1
More from around the web