Aggies blow chance, must put loss away

Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News

It was a golden opportunity lost for the New Mexico State football program on Saturday night in a 35-24 loss to New Mexico at Aggie Memorial Stadium.
Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Sep 29, 2008
Hopeless

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2008

Once again, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
Sarah Martinez

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Sounds like Felix Chavez is on the Dunn payroll. What bull is this:
"Defensive coordinator Joe Lee Dunn and his staff have done their best, but sometimes you can only go so far as your personnel takes you."
Way to go Felix. Start the excuses early. It could never be the coaching staff. Joe Lee Dunn was only brought in because the last defensive coordinator was fired. I guess Dunn's 200K salary wasn't enough.
Don't worry Felix, get your pen ready to write how "hot" Mumme and Dunn are after they play mighty Division II Alcorn State next week. What a schedule juggernaut 'ol McKinley Boston pulled off this season. It' a shame we can't schedule more Division II teams. Are there any high schools we could play? On second thought, Mayfield or Cruces would only embarrass the hapless Mumme, and poor 'ol Dunn is stuck with players Mumme recruited.
Eric

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

The Aggies sure know how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. 6 years in row the Aggies lose to UNM and a sorry UNM team to boot. A huge crowd, a 14-0 lead, all the momentum you could want and still Rocky 4th and Long out coaches the NMSU coaching staff. Thanks for nothing!
Bob

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

I think its the same ol garbage year in and year out. A sorry team to go along with a sorry and outdated stadium. This one's on the coaching staff! They had everything they could ask for. Playing at home, sold out crowd, up 14-0, playing against an INEXPERIENCED QB and back up running back, but yet they find a way to lose. It was obvious that they were handing it off to the running backs cause UNM has no passing game and yet the Aggies get steam rolled! This football program is a joke and they coaching staff should quit!
Lisa

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Thats the last Aggie game I attend! Either get us a better coaching staff that can recruit or get rid of this sorry program. You gotta win these game at home. I bet attendance is just going to flourish now with that outstanding performance by the Aggies.
kcat

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

We suck
AGGIE ED

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

I'm willing to give the defense a break due to personnel. But the OFFENSE....now that's Mumme's baby and they blew it. What happened to Air Raid? Mumme's decision on the third possession to establish a run game was the biggest blunder of the game...and costly. If Mumme can't make offense adjustments to counter UNM's adjustments...well then the program should be re-evaluated.
ABQAggie

Hanover, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

AGGIE ED wrote:
I'm willing to give the defense a break due to personnel. But the OFFENSE....now that's Mumme's baby and they blew it. What happened to Air Raid? Mumme's decision on the third possession to establish a run game was the biggest blunder of the game...and costly. If Mumme can't make offense adjustments to counter UNM's adjustments...well then the program should be re-evaluated.
Couldn't agree with you more. Seems to me the NMSU coaches can't make the proper adjustments during the game and try to stick to the same plays even though they are unproductive. By this point Mumme's job MUST be on the line, it's unacceptable to lose this many close games to UNM. I cringe thinking about what teams like Boise St. and Fresno St will do to us with their rushing attacks later on this season.
Disappointed

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

AGGIE ED wrote:
You took the words right out of my mouth. Why Mumme decided to switch to the run in the second half, I have NO idea. The Air Raid worked well for the Aggies in the first half, so why not stick with it. You know what they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Lobos suck

Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Take it from someone who lives among Lobo fans..the Lobos will always suck and Lobo fan will always be fat.
Westside Dodgerfan

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

This loss seals the deal. Mumme is done at the end of the season.
Elsie YesSir

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Sarah Martinez is exactly right. And Dodgerfan is only guilty of wishful thinking. Ye gods, folks, this "program" was doomed the day that our former Chief of Doomsday hired a losing coach because he was a friend. The same reason the AD was hired, both at unreasonable salaries.

I still say that we should save lots of travel money for NMSU and for our city High Schools by having the fours schools play one another. Two games each Saturday. There is nothing wrong with realism.
Elsie YesSir

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Sorry about that extra "s." My fingers slipped.
Hates the Lobos

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

why wait till the end of the season, FIRE MUMME TODAY!!!!!
Hater of every1

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Hates the Lobos wrote:
why wait till the end of the season, FIRE MUMME TODAY!!!!!
From your mouth to G-d, aka Boston's, ear
Eric

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

So much for the Joe Lee Dunn 3-3-5 defense. Can't stop the run consistently, got beat by a Freshman QB and most of all our Offense showed little improvement even with all the talent as billed up to have. Looks like another "long" season for NMSU football. Maybe it's time to seriously look at the coaching staff. Good Luck Aggies.
HAHAHAHA

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Maybe it's time for the aggies to consider a move to Division II (or whatever it's called nowadays).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Utah State Aggies NCAA Football Discussions

Search the Utah State Aggies NCAA Football Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Utah State - College football's most underrated... (Oct '12) Oct '12 P_Smith 1
The Morning After: Utah State-Wisconsin MVPs, F... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Matt from Columbus 2
Former Miner Nick Vaught goes bowling with Utah... (Dec '11) Dec '11 football fan 1
On and On with Bob Sansevere: NFL draft analyst... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Army CPT at Ft Lee 52
Miner to Midshipman to Aggie - The Park Record (Feb '11) Mar '11 Local Observer 7
Tough sledding: NMSU hangs tough, falls at Utah... (Nov '10) Nov '10 My Friend Mike 11
BYU furthers losing streak to Utah State, 31-11 (Oct '10) Oct '10 Patrick 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••