If attendance falters, NMSU's 1A stat...

If attendance falters, NMSU's 1A status will be put on hold, WA...

There are 41 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Jun 7, 2008, titled If attendance falters, NMSU's 1A status will be put on hold, WA.... In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Western Athletic Conference Commissioner Karl Benson said that if New Mexico State University fails to live up to the football attendance standards set by the NCAA, they will be dropped from Division 1A ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
monty

Santa Fe, NM

#1 Jun 7, 2008
I think if the aggies would change their coaches the school would get more to attend the games
Fair Weather Fan

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jun 7, 2008
This is some of the best news I've heard of in a long time. Now the Basketball team can recruit with the best schools. The football team has been a joke for many, many, many, many, many, years! Believe me, I love football, but NMSU football is never good and I would rather pay to see the basketball team put a competitive team on the court any day! The basketball team is always in the mix, the football team would probably have a close game with the state's top rated high school team...Mayfield Trojans.! The Trojans could probably take the Aggies all the way till the last seconds of the game because Mayfield knows how to win! See ya Later Aggies! I'm so happy, nobody is going to go your games. Sad but true, you will win 3 games and then the sadness will soak into Las Cruces. See ya, and good luck basketball, this will give you more talent!!!!!!! I will pay to see the basketball team because you are consistent!

“Close the Borders”

Since: Jun 08

Out in the County

#3 Jun 7, 2008
Fifteen-thousand seems like a big number for average attendance.

That means almost 1 out of every five residents of Las Cruces would have to be in Aggie Memorial Stadium for each game.

Figure the odds.... plus, we are outclassed in the WAC and Division 1A.
Alex

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Jun 7, 2008
It really just saddens me the attitude of Cruces regarding this team in particular. We have a top QB and WR in the nation, going into their senior years with the will and desire to win.

We've been competitive the past two seasons. Injuries really killed us the later part of the year. Did you forget? We had a 21-20 score with SEC power Auburn going into halftime. But we had some injuries and things nose-dived. Not to mention Kyle Hugues, the new kicker, will be giving us confidence on FGs, instead of crossing our fingers.

Don't get me started on how this is good for basketball? You really think we are going to maintain a WAC membership without a football team? Then what? Where does our basketball team go? To a smaller, less competitive conference (i.e. Big Sky). We won't be recruiting with the big boys. We won't even be competing against UTEP or UNM anymore. Don't fool yourself, a loss of a football program will devastate athletics at NMSU, up and down. We are already $5 million dollars in the hole, and a big key to recouping is a solid football attendance, amongst other things.

To Fair Weather Fan:

The name is apt, but you sound like a loob in Aggie's clothing. I laugh at your ignorance. Another lame high school fan that think boys could even compete against men.

Lastly, this is just an observation, it seems our fan base thinks a coaching change would bring in the fans. Despite this persistent assertion, the numbers don't back it up. And a vicious cycle perpetuates.

Mumme has brought in some legit D-1 talent. He knows he's on the hot seat, and if we don't win half our games this year, then I may jump on the fire Mumme bandwagon. That's all I'm asking Cruces. Give them your best support this season. One year without attitudes and excuses. Ticket prices are dirt cheap, because losing FBS status is going to cost us A LOT more.
aggiefansince83

Las Cruces, NM

#5 Jun 7, 2008
fair weather fan do you realize that if football were to be dropped or if NMSU moves down and gets kicked out of the WAC because they can't meet the attendance requirements it would kill the basketball team as well as every other NMSU sport? You don't recruit top athletes to play in the Big Sky.

For the last time Mayfield doesn't have a chance in hell against the Aggies. Doesn't matter if they know how to win against high school teams they don't have a chance in hell against college athletes. 16 and 17 year old kids have no chance against bigger, faster, and stronger 20, 21, and 22 year olds.

Might as well have the Mayfield trojans play the Miami Dolphins. After all the Dolphins are horrible and Mayfield should give them a good game because after all Mayfield knows how to win right?

A new coaching staff won't bring in the fans either. Coach Samuel never had mush fan support either.
David

Las Cruces, NM

#6 Jun 7, 2008
Leave it to a Mayfield fan to say stupid crap like that. Or possibly a Lobo fan. It is sad that Aggie fans dont step up. We are really fortunate to have division 1 football team here in town. There are plenty of cities across the U.S that would love to have a division 1 team. Fair weather fan go back to cheering on your overrated Lobos. We will see you here in Cruces lets see if you can stop our offense, and I guarantee you will take those comments back because that will be the game the sits almost thirty thousand.Then we will send the Lobos back to Albuquerque crying like we did those overrated Miners last year.
Frank

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jun 7, 2008
I think this rule is bullshit, because Utah State, and Idaho has not average the 15k fans per year for the past 4 years, so why haven't they dropped to D-1AA. Think about it folks. It isn't going to happen.
Frank

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Jun 7, 2008
I am buying my dad, mom, and uncle season tickets this year. They never like going since most of the games they could hear on radio or on tv, but I'm going to do this for them, so they would go.
Alex

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Jun 8, 2008
Frank, USU and UI are facing the same situation we are; I don't think it's BS at all.

Do you have a myspace page?
Not Of This Earth

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Jun 8, 2008
I think the basketball program as well as the other athletic programs would remain in the WAC. I don't think the football program is going to reach their goal of having 15,000 people at each homegame. Fair Weather Fan, you hit the nail on the head. As for a high school team beating the big boys, I know the Las Cruces High Bulldawgs could probably beat the Aggies, by a touchdown I would guess. Come on, anything is possible. This is the Bulldawgs year. The Trojans won't compete with Cruces this season. It is sad to see the Aggie football program stay down in the dumps. Maybe they need a better athletic director or something. I bet the Miner and Lobo fans are laughing hard right now. As for the basketball program...You guys are keeping it real. I love what I'm seeing out of Aggie basketball! A lot of wins is what the basketball team gives and a lot of loses is what the football program thrives on. Maybe someday, sometime, the football program will get it together. Maybe.
WIaggie

Nashotah, WI

#11 Jun 8, 2008
This is such a non-issue, it's not worth even talking about
football program is going to reach their goal of having 15,000 people at each homegame.
aggiefansince83

Las Cruces, NM

#12 Jun 8, 2008
Nope, the basketball and other programs will not remain in the WAC as the WAC doesn't accept non football playing members. Football is a requirememnt to play in the WAC.

And for the last time for the people who think Cruces, Mayfield, or Onate can beat or even play even with the Aggies answer this question for me. How many players from those schools are getting scholarships to play college football? Thats all I need to ask. If every one of them were getting scholarships then you can make an argument that they are good enough to play against the Aggies. Until then they are high school players and are a long ways away from the talent of a college team.

Look at Chris Hernandez from Mayfield a while back for example. Best reciever on Mayfield, one of the best in the state but yet redshirts at UNM because he is not ready to play at the college level with the big boys and was at the bottom of their depth chart.
WIaggie

Nashotah, WI

#13 Jun 8, 2008
Ditto aggiefansince83...it's well know that all 3 Las Cruces area high schools produes very soft & weak football players...that why they go to texas D-2 schools or UNM, where they can ride the pine rather than play.

getting back to NMSU: this is a non-issue
RDRoark

San Francisco, CA

#14 Jun 8, 2008
Nothing has changed since I was a student in mid-late 70's. The 15000 milestone was always the target, but population back then was about half of what it is now. People have many other choices and distractions (like video games) now with their spare time. Changing coaches isn't/wasn't the answer at NMSU (with a couple of exceptions). JJ McDermott was our HS quarterback here in Katy and they had fantastic community support because this area is FOOTBALL crazy. His HS and Katy HS have a rivalry similar to LCHS and MHS with huge crowds. LC has always been a BASKETBALL town (for college) but I can say that the price of season tickets at NMSU is a bargain to what you see in the pro cities (Houston Rockets $175/game, Texans $85/game, Astros $73/game for decent seats, for example)and if you don't jump on the opportunity, good-bye D-1 status. You will be playing the Northern Arizonas and Sam Houston States in the not-too-distant future.
flag football

Encino, NM

#15 Jun 8, 2008
They shouldn't allow the Aggie flag football teamin the WAC anyway.
Alex

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Jun 8, 2008
Not Of This Earth wrote:
I think the basketball program as well as the other athletic programs would remain in the WAC. I don't think the football program is going to reach their goal of having 15,000 people at each homegame. Fair Weather Fan, you hit the nail on the head. As for a high school team beating the big boys, I know the Las Cruces High Bulldawgs could probably beat the Aggies, by a touchdown I would guess. Come on, anything is possible. This is the Bulldawgs year. The Trojans won't compete with Cruces this season. It is sad to see the Aggie football program stay down in the dumps. Maybe they need a better athletic director or something. I bet the Miner and Lobo fans are laughing hard right now. As for the basketball program...You guys are keeping it real. I love what I'm seeing out of Aggie basketball! A lot of wins is what the basketball team gives and a lot of loses is what the football program thrives on. Maybe someday, sometime, the football program will get it together. Maybe.
If by hitting nail on the head, you mean being totally wrong, then I agree. You both hit the nail on the head.

Give support Cruces. I hear people who don't even live in the area talking about purchasing season tickets and donating them to charitable organizations to do their part. Now if you live here, what is your excuse for not keeping D1 alive ?
Adam

Bridgeport, PA

#17 Jun 8, 2008
I think that NMSU need to look at its program and step up. I think that NMSU has so many restrictions such as not selling alcohol during the games, such at UTEP. I think they should make their season tickets and general tickets more affordable for pretty good seats. NMSU is going to get kicked out of the WAC and UTEP is going to be known as the best local college football in the area. UTEP is playing tougher teams such at U of Texas.
Alex

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Jun 8, 2008
Adam I agree we need to step up, but season tickets are VERY affordable. From $38-$108. I, too, think there should be beer sales at games. People already sneak in beverages, NMSU should be looking at how to increase revenue and that would help. Also, it would be nice to attract some BCS schools to play at AMS.
Alex

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Jun 8, 2008
WHy is there now duplicate comment sections for this topic?
Support Steve Anderson

United States

#20 Jun 8, 2008
Lets fix CHSS first before this. NMSU is in trouble, it is an academic institution first and sports next.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utah State Aggies NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Utah State - College football's most underrated... (Oct '12) Oct '12 P_Smith 1
News The Morning After: Utah State-Wisconsin MVPs, F... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Matt from Columbus 2
News Former Miner Nick Vaught goes bowling with Utah... (Dec '11) Dec '11 football fan 1
News On and On with Bob Sansevere: NFL draft analyst... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Army CPT at Ft Lee 52
News Miner to Midshipman to Aggie - The Park Record (Feb '11) Mar '11 Local Observer 7
News Tough sledding: NMSU hangs tough, falls at Utah... (Nov '10) Nov '10 My Friend Mike 11
News BYU furthers losing streak to Utah State, 31-11 (Oct '10) Oct '10 Patrick 1