UH camp pays off

There are 16 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jul 23, 2008, titled UH camp pays off. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Wait a minute ... another quarterback? Yes, that's the position Kimo Makaula played at Punahou last year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

darren

Kihei, HI

#1 Jul 23, 2008
not too many Punahou players stay home, right on!now if you can get Makaula to persuade manti to stay too
mr ala wai

Ewa Beach, HI

#2 Jul 23, 2008
manti is gone, don't fool yourself. good chance for Makaula to play for UH; politics at punahou coupled with an overzealous supporter have hampered him developing further into the great athlete he is.

just look at the basketball fiasco; unacceptable. sad day when a parent is over involved to the detriment of their kid's success. i had hoped that Makaula would be able to go away and really blossom into the D1 athlete he is. good luck at UH and don't look back.
Bob

Wailuku, HI

#3 Jul 23, 2008
There's another Ma'afala out there? That has to be one of the most talented, athletic families in the State. I'm guessing that this is the son of Benson Ma'afala Senior who was also an outstanding athlete in his own right. I know that the two brothers Roy and Chris were terrific players at Utah with Chris going on to play several seasons in the NFL and Roy having played in the Canadian league. Their brother Tenari is from what I understand the President of the police union so they are really a prominent family who should be spotlighted one day on our local sports channel.
Baba

Wailuku, HI

#4 Jul 23, 2008
The Ma'afala's are Hawaii's first family of football. They have an endless pipeline of players. Bob forgot to mention another Ma'afala, Abu Ma'afala, who starred as a defensive lineman at the University of California a few years ago when they were chasing the national title. A great family with a great story to tell of humble beginnings growing up in Mayor Wright housing.
Ex-Hawaii guru

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#5 Jul 23, 2008
mr ala wai wrote:
manti is gone, don't fool yourself. good chance for Makaula to play for UH; politics at punahou coupled with an overzealous supporter have hampered him developing further into the great athlete he is.
just look at the basketball fiasco; unacceptable. sad day when a parent is over involved to the detriment of their kid's success. i had hoped that Makaula would be able to go away and really blossom into the D1 athlete he is. good luck at UH and don't look back.
Did you say great athlete? He would have more than 2 offers if he was a great athlete.
I guess UH sees his size and think "potential". Coach Mack is not starting out too good.
Quikset

Denver, CO

#6 Jul 23, 2008
Can't mention the Maafala family without Nick Maafala, who passed away a few years ago. Although his UH career was hampered by injuries, I still remember how dominant he was when he was healthy.

“It always comes back to you”

Since: Mar 08

Honolulu

#7 Jul 23, 2008
I would love to see Benson Maafala play at UH. I taught him PE in early elementary in Kalihi and he was a quiet giant. Easily a full head taller than the other students but a great kid.
guardian

Wahiawa, HI

#8 Jul 23, 2008
mr ala wai wrote:
I think it's really pathetic that you (& a number of others) persist in thinking that a local student-athlete has to "go away to blossom" into a D-1
athlete. UH has shown it does a fine job in developing talent. It's that stupid elitist thinking that seems to brainwash & influence students (especially at Iolani & Punahou) into shunning UH & heading toward Stanford, USC & others. I'm really glad that athletes at Punahou & elsewhere are really considering and recognizing UH as being a desirable place to play sports & matriculate. So keep your condolences & pessimism to yourself--there are a whole lot of us that don't share them; I have great optimism for these local kids who are buying into the program. Do you really think that Billy Ray Stutzman has to go away to the mainland to "blossom"?? He'll be recognized as a Division-1 athlete long before he even reaches his Junior year at UH.
joju

Kahului, HI

#9 Jul 23, 2008
something to think about?
get a offer from UH,
you say thanks ,but no thanks, turn it down to go to the mainland and play.
get home sick in a year
call up coach Miano and ask if I can come out for the team, he says yes, you tryout, you make the team.
bargain for UH.
now you play for UH.
you pay for your own schooling.
hawaii saves a scholership for a person that really want to play for hawaii, UH the winner.
A Fish Out o H2O

AOL

#10 Jul 23, 2008
What are you guys doing?
Brenda

Studio City, CA

#11 Jul 23, 2008
guardian wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's really pathetic that you (& a number of others) persist in thinking that a local student-athlete has to "go away to blossom" into a D-1
athlete. UH has shown it does a fine job in developing talent. It's that stupid elitist thinking that seems to brainwash & influence students (especially at Iolani & Punahou) into shunning UH & heading toward Stanford, USC & others. I'm really glad that athletes at Punahou & elsewhere are really considering and recognizing UH as being a desirable place to play sports & matriculate. So keep your condolences & pessimism to yourself--there are a whole lot of us that don't share them; I have great optimism for these local kids who are buying into the program. Do you really think that Billy Ray Stutzman has to go away to the mainland to "blossom"?? He'll be recognized as a Division-1 athlete long before he even reaches his Junior year at UH.
I think he means that the kid will blossom in the personal/emotional way. Living away from home and away from an overzealous dad would help his maturity and perspective on life.
huh

Honolulu, HI

#12 Jul 23, 2008
Brenda wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he means that the kid will blossom in the personal/emotional way. Living away from home and away from an overzealous dad would help his maturity and perspective on life.
Excellent points.
Also, UH is a terrible school, and that's what you should be going to college for...the degree to fall back on when your sports career ends.
Maybe UH is getting better in sports, but it still is nowhere near a UCLA or Stanford educationally.
tubby

Prague, Czech Republic

#13 Jul 23, 2008
huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent points.
Also, UH is a terrible school, and that's what you should be going to college for...the degree to fall back on when your sports career ends.
Maybe UH is getting better in sports, but it still is nowhere near a UCLA or Stanford educationally.
Agree to this and to Brenda. I think Makaula would do well for himself to fly the coop.
badayu

Kapolei, HI

#14 Jul 23, 2008
There are many hawaii haters: people with evil in their hearts, are full of negativity, and are quick to bad mouth others. UH is the easiest target for these dick weeds because it's an institution and not a person. Take Colt for an example, if Colt isn't a good qb, then why did Ron (I'm an idiot) Jaworski spend 12 minutes of the NFL draft degrading Colt? No other player had any negative comments made about them. Only the Hawaii guy. People are jealous of Hawaii, so they hate...
guardian wrote:
<quoted text>
badayu

Kapolei, HI

#15 Jul 23, 2008
do you know the family, are you a relative?
Brenda wrote:
<quoted text>
Ex-Hawaii guru

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#16 Jul 24, 2008
badayu wrote:
There are many hawaii haters: people with evil in their hearts, are full of negativity, and are quick to bad mouth others. UH is the easiest target for these dick weeds because it's an institution and not a person. Take Colt for an example, if Colt isn't a good qb, then why did Ron (I'm an idiot) Jaworski spend 12 minutes of the NFL draft degrading Colt? No other player had any negative comments made about them. Only the Hawaii guy. People are jealous of Hawaii, so they hate...<quoted text>
No, no badame.
Colt left HIS home to go away to Hawaii. He would be the first to tell you that he matured alot by this.
It is nothing against UH, but more about going away and growing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Nevada, Las Vegas NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Giddens Leads New Mexico Over UNLV, 59-45 (Mar '08) Jul '15 Fartman 24
News UNLV eliminated from NCAA Tournament after loss... (Mar '11) Mar '13 Anon 2
News Minnesota defeats UNLV 30-27 in 3 OT (Aug '12) Jan '13 Jen 2
News VU's center of attention (May '09) Dec '12 Andrew 2
News No. 14 UNLV defeats New Mexico 80-63 (Jan '12) Jan '12 Anonymous 2
News No. 21 UNLV beats Louisiana-Monroe 81-63 (Dec '11) Dec '11 Chosen Traveler 1
News UNLV knocks off No. 1 North Carolina, 90-80 (Nov '11) Nov '11 Matt from Columbus 1
More from around the web