Kent State gone in a flash

Kent State gone in a flash

There are 47 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Mar 20, 2008, titled Kent State gone in a flash. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

OMAHA, NEB.: Shot after shot clanged off the rim. Others rimmed in and out. Some hit nothing but air.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
YES

Palm Harbor, FL

#45 Mar 21, 2008
kent state SUCKS!!
I LOVE IT
cloverfield

Brunswick, OH

#46 Mar 21, 2008
k unt fan wrote:
To cloverfield,
Sorry to inform you, as you seem to be so knowlegable about just about every other topic under the sun, but Haminn Q was also a transfer, as he played two years in Jacksonville Florida, as Yogi once said, "you can look it up"!
I'm sure that you will have an all knowing response to this as well. Bottom line is that Kent's players under coach C have taken a turn to being selected for one reason and that is not that being home grown or that they are anywhere close to be students! bye for now.
Sorry to inform you, but there's a difference between a transfer and a junior college transfer. I correctly corrected the above post, which said Kent is full of junior college transfers.

There's your "all knowing" response.

I hate to be right, but so long as you keep being so wrong...

Since: Mar 08

Akron, OH

#47 Mar 21, 2008
cloverfield wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to inform you, but there's a difference between a transfer and a junior college transfer. I correctly corrected the above post, which said Kent is full of junior college transfers.
There's your "all knowing" response.
I hate to be right, but so long as you keep being so wrong...
I think his point is that Kent often goes the JUCO/scab/transfer route rather than developing four-year players. I guess do whatever it takes to get to the dance and get stomped...
Bobo the clown

Waynesburg, OH

#48 Mar 23, 2008
Zips Fan CF wrote:
at least we WON OUR FIRST GAME IN POST SEASON PLAY.
Yeah way to be proud of that big win in the JV tournament.
Bobo the clown

Waynesburg, OH

#49 Mar 23, 2008
RowdyZ wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess do whatever it takes to get to the dance and get stomped...
As opposed to developing players and not making it to the dance, Akron? Funny how you crack on a successful team when you don't have one to cheer for. When was the last time Akron made the "Real" Tournament? When was the last time they won a game in that? Though so.... sit down son.
Frank the Tank

Waynesburg, OH

#50 Mar 23, 2008
Anon wrote:
should of lost to Akron and had Akron go to the tournament...they would of made it a game at least...weak, scared, little girly flashes. ya didn't deserve to be there and you embarrassed the MAC. losers!
So what does that say about Akron? See, they didn't lose against Akron. Akron got beat by the "weak, scared, little girly flashes." I love these pointless responses coming from the Zips fans. Wrap it up with your little bow all you want, but Akron only made it to the NIT.... yes, the NIT.

I love the JV comment by the way.
cloverfield

Massillon, OH

#51 Mar 24, 2008
It's funny, because many of the Akron fans on this forum are just like the sniveling little brats that tried to rub it in when Ohio State lost the national championship the past two years. Never mind that the team made it there two years in a row and three of the past six. Never mind that no other school in the country has come close to accomplishing as much. Just sit around and proclaim "Ohio State sucks" because they happened to lose the title game. Proclaim that they were "demolished" because they lost by two touchdowns to LSU, after giving the game away with a few bad decisions that resulted in turnovers, and a roughing the kicker penalty that gave the ball, the momentum, and a score back to LSU.

To the applicable Akron fans:
You can be as jealous as you want of Kent State. You can hate Kent all you want. But you're only making yourself look like fools when you sit around laughing, proclaiming "Kent sucks" because they lost a game in the NCAA Tournament. Sure, they played terrible the first half. They looked like deer in headlights, they couldn't make even easy baskets, they made terrible, rushed passes, and they couldn't seem to hold on to the ball. But losing by 13 points in a tournament game in which the opponent never went to their second string players is far from "getting crushed." Oklahoma/Louisville was getting crushed.

Kent State, despite their terrible first half performance, still managed to put the game within 13 by the end, and that was with UNLV shooting an unprecedented 72 percent in the second half. The effort was far from enough to make up for the terrible first half, but more than enough to prove that they were just as competitive as UNLV, but a lot more shell-shocked.

In 68 halves of basketball this season, UNLV gave up at least 48 points in a half on only two occasions: against TCU and against Kent State. Not against Kansas, not against BYU in any of their three games, not against Louisville, not against Arizona, not against Minnesota, not against Nevada, etc.

Kent has done more for MAC basketball and put the MAC in the national spotlight more than any other team in any other sport in MAC history. Hate them all you want, but don't for one second try to proclaim it's not out of jealousy.

Here's to looking forward to next season, when Akron loses practically everyone from their team, and their few fans who aren't bandwagon jumpers and actually continue to support a .500 basketball team are on this forum throwing temper tantrums like Nick Dials in any game to any ref throughout his career.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

UNLV Rebels NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Giddens Leads New Mexico Over UNLV, 59-45 (Mar '08) Jul '15 Fartman 24
News UNLV eliminated from NCAA Tournament after loss... (Mar '11) Mar '13 Anon 2
News VU's center of attention (May '09) Dec '12 Andrew 2
News No. 14 UNLV defeats New Mexico 80-63 (Jan '12) Jan '12 Anonymous 2
News No. 21 UNLV beats Louisiana-Monroe 81-63 (Dec '11) Dec '11 Chosen Traveler 1
News UNLV knocks off No. 1 North Carolina, 90-80 (Nov '11) Nov '11 Matt from Columbus 1
News UNLV stuns top-ranked North Carolina in Las Veg... (Nov '11) Nov '11 say who?? 1
More from around the web