UCLA gets a Bear hug on its way out o...

UCLA gets a Bear hug on its way out of Pac-10 Tournament

There are 17 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Mar 12, 2010, titled UCLA gets a Bear hug on its way out of Pac-10 Tournament. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

UCLA's Tyler Honeycutt, left, and Mustafa Abdul-Hamid walk off the court after the Bruins lost to Cal 85-72 in the Pacific-10 Conference quarterfinals Friday at Staples Center.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

Butch

United States

#2 Mar 13, 2010
New coach needed at Ucla and just maybe a new Athletic Director too. I expect more transfers, and more UNHAPPY PLAYERS. Ben Howland does NOT know how to coach. He was exposed this season. I know BOOSTERS, ALUMNI and the FANS were not happy with this guy.
Johnny Utah

Whittier, CA

#3 Mar 13, 2010
UCLA= U Clowns Lose Again!
hermosa world watcher

Makawao, HI

#4 Mar 13, 2010
on the other side of Pac-10 Basketball, we got Nikki and her Lady Bruins! You Go Girls! They are going to the big dance in her second year as the Lady Bruin coach.
trojanfan

San Bernardino, CA

#5 Mar 13, 2010
Butch wrote:
New coach needed at Ucla and just maybe a new Athletic Director too. I expect more transfers, and more UNHAPPY PLAYERS. Ben Howland does NOT know how to coach. He was exposed this season. I know BOOSTERS, ALUMNI and the FANS were not happy with this guy.
You got to be kidding, Howland is a great coach. I wish we had him. The problem with ucla is the good players went to the nba, you cant blame the coach!!
LAneutral

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Mar 13, 2010
Roll is right, having been at the game. Dragovic kept firng up bad shot after bad shot. Cant believe the coaches didnt pull him.
I guess they needed his one rebound a game. Bad coaching, bad team. They fired Steve Lavin after this kind of a season.
gjb

North Las Vegas, NV

#7 Mar 14, 2010
good riddance dragovic...glad we don't have to suffer through anymore 2 for 15 train wrecks from that guy
LAneutral

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Mar 14, 2010
How did USC do in the Pac-10 tournament? Oh, I forgot, they were booted out
Nathan wrote:
You mean the school that beat you in basketball and football this year. Ouch.
<quoted text>
Seth Chandler UCLA 1981

Märsta, Sweden

#13 Mar 14, 2010
The best thing about that game is that I will never have to watch Nicola Dragovic play basketball again. The number of shots he jacked up and bricked early in the shot clock all year long make him the worst UCLA starter in the history of the program. He single-handedly shot us out of game after game after game while playing matador defense.
Had it not been for Ben Howland's inexplicable, deranged decision to play Dragovic 30 minutes a game, the Bruins would have at least had a winning record this year. No one was expecting miracles out of this team. No one was expecting a conference championship. But people were expecting a team that played hard, played smart, made the most of its abilities and its chances and improved a little every week. None of that happened.
Howland and Dragovic deserve 100% of the blame for this year being such a grotesque fiasco.
Seth Chandler-UCLA 1981

Märsta, Sweden

#14 Mar 14, 2010
trojanfan wrote:
<quoted text>You got to be kidding, Howland is a great coach. I wish we had him. The problem with ucla is the good players went to the nba, you cant blame the coach!!
Howland got out-coached in game after game. And he stubbornly played the Belgrade bricklayer 30+ minutes a game. No excuse for that.
Seth Chandler-UCLA 1981

Märsta, Sweden

#15 Mar 14, 2010
gjb wrote:
good riddance dragovic...glad we don't have to suffer through anymore 2 for 15 train wrecks from that guy
Not only did Dragovic keep jacking up brick after brick, he kept doing it with lots of time left on the shot clock. In this game it was especially appalling since Roll was on fire. I hope he get convicted in one of those assault cases and goes to jail.
LAneutral

Los Angeles, CA

#18 Mar 14, 2010
Well said. I agree totally. Actually I feel bad for Mike Roll who was the obly hot shooter and had to watch Dragovic take those wild shots. Howland for some unexplained reason left him in there. Like I said earlier, it must have been for that one ebound a game he always got.
Seth Chandler UCLA 1981 wrote:
The best thing about that game is that I will never have to watch Nicola Dragovic play basketball again. The number of shots he jacked up and bricked early in the shot clock all year long make him the worst UCLA starter in the history of the program. He single-handedly shot us out of game after game after game while playing matador defense.
Had it not been for Ben Howland's inexplicable, deranged decision to play Dragovic 30 minutes a game, the Bruins would have at least had a winning record this year. No one was expecting miracles out of this team. No one was expecting a conference championship. But people were expecting a team that played hard, played smart, made the most of its abilities and its chances and improved a little every week. None of that happened.
Howland and Dragovic deserve 100% of the blame for this year being such a grotesque fiasco.
LAneutral

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Mar 14, 2010
We? What part did you play in it?
Nathan wrote:
Who cares? UCLA isn't going to be playing in the NCAA tournament. I will take USC beating UCLA twice this year over playing in a worthless PAC 10 Tournament. By the way, we beat your bRUINS 67-46 at Pauley, suck it.
<quoted text>
LAneutral

Los Angeles, CA

#23 Mar 14, 2010
Is that good or bad? How old are you, about 5?
UCLA ROB wrote:
<quoted text>
He played with himself and then he played with you..
joeintegrety

United States

#27 Mar 15, 2010
F--- Howland ,he's a joke coach!
Seth Chandler-UCLA 1981

Märsta, Sweden

#28 Mar 15, 2010
Nathan wrote:
Howland was waiting for Drago to break out of his shooting slump. The kid did shoot .45% last year. The two assault charges seemed to really mess him up this year.
<quoted text>
Sure, and if it weren't for the fact that Drago didn't rebound consistently or play much of any defense (he took ONE charge all year, I think) I could understand Howland being a little patient. But Drago didn't rebound consistently and he played matador defense. there's a point at which patience becomes more like a gambling addiction.

We all saw the same thing with Josh Shipp. Howland had him starting and jacking up shots all through a very long slump. Fortunately, there was enough talent on that team to prevent too many embarrassing losses. And I'd have to give Shipp credit for doing a lot of little things to help thge team even though he was shooting badly. Drago is no Josh Shipp. And this shooting slump was worse.
Seth Chandler-UCLA 1981

Märsta, Sweden

#29 Mar 15, 2010
Nathan wrote:
You sure seem to think you know more than Ben Howland. I bet you wouldn't even be hired for a volunteer job to coach elementary school. I know you were not complaining when UCLA made three straight final fours. IDIOT.
<quoted text>
You don't have to be an expert to see that you shouldn't give a 3-11 shooter a green light to shoot three-pointers five seconds into the shot clock and start a guy who plays no defense and gets out-rebounded by his guards.

I don't know about Nathan, but I DID complain about UCLA's ugly offense, the playing time Josh Shipp got during his slump and the way Howland totally wasted Kevin Love's talent by just parking him under the basket rather than playing more high post.

And leave the insults to the SUC trolls.
Adrian G

Redmond, WA

#32 Mar 15, 2010
Bottom line is, we had a down year but who doesn't right? We'll be back next year tho.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

UCLA Bruins NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... (Sep '14) Apr '15 tom wingo 4
News UCLA Basketball: Grad Transfer Octeus to Bruins (Jun '14) Jun '14 Brew In 1
News UCLA finishes sweep of USC with 83-73 win (Feb '14) Feb '14 Brew In 1
News Nepotism at UCLA? No Apology (or Humility) from... (Feb '14) Feb '14 1805mdw 1
News UCLA's late push lands five-star forward Looney (Oct '13) Oct '13 Brew In 1
News UCLA Basketball Media Day: Alford Puts Wooden a... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Andrew Berman 1
News Real or Perceived: Alford's Recruiting Issues (Sep '13) Sep '13 Brew In 4
More from around the web