Point-blank question: UCLA's Howland ponders next move with Hol...

Full story: LA Daily News 61
With guard Jrue Holiday leaving UCLA after one season for the NBA, Bruins coach Ben Howland knows his point-guard situation for the 2009-10 season is dangerously thin. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
bobzilla

Kapaa, HI

#1 Jun 14, 2009
I wash there was a better system in place for these college talents that are not quite ready to shine at the NBA level. Maybe they should be payed and signed to contracts with expensive buyout clauses like Ricky Rubio. It just is such a turnoff for us college fans to see a guy go one and done. I feel used but at the same time I realize that it is the right thing to do financially for the player and his family. Gook luck Jrue Holiday, we hardly new ya..it could have been nice if you made a few more shots. You sure threw up enough of them.
Fight On

Pleasanton, CA

#2 Jun 14, 2009
Howlie will just pay some other kid to come and go.
Good Job

Northridge, CA

#3 Jun 14, 2009
Congrads to the Holiday family, great job with all of your children.
sunburst_socal

Yucaipa, CA

#4 Jun 14, 2009
One and done, there goes NCAA basketball. I have enjoyed watching UCLA players and teams develope but all that is gone now. Howland has brought in top talent only to see them reap the benifits of his coaching, TV exposure, and his help in prepping for the pros and then leave. If the players have no loyalty to the team, coach, and fans than I have no reason to buy a ticket and pay for thier pro training.

The other side of the coin is the NBA is loaded with players who do not understand the game - slam dunks are cool but playing defense, passing, cutting, reading defenses etc make you a winner. Look at Kobe and Garnett, loads of talent who took years to finally understand the game and became true leaders and winners.
Joe

Downey, CA

#5 Jun 14, 2009
You know what I think is hilarious?... Toejam fans say things about UCLA that don't reflect UCLA but it really reflects what's happening to their program

One guy says, "tough time to be a Bruin" however look at their program, their basketball program is in ruins....and their athletic program is in for some serious hurt.

So look what "Cheat On" says.....lol
Fight On

Pleasanton, CA

#6 Jun 14, 2009
Joe wrote:
You know what I think is hilarious?... Toejam fans say things about UCLA that don't reflect UCLA but it really reflects what's happening to their program
One guy says, "tough time to be a Bruin" however look at their program, their basketball program is in ruins....and their athletic program is in for some serious hurt.
It will be tough to be a bRUIN fan especially when the mess about Kevin Love hits the surface....Fight On!!!
Al x

United States

#7 Jun 14, 2009
Fight On wrote:
<quoted text>
It will be tough to be a bRUIN fan especially when the mess about Kevin Love hits the surface....Fight On!!!
hey numbskull, there is no mess concerning Kevin Love, but there sure is a whole lot of mess concerning O.J. Mayo and Reggie Bush. Good luck trying to deflect what is coming to the whole SC athletic program. Losers, no wonder Trojans burst under pressure.
UCLA Dominance

Irvine, CA

#9 Jun 14, 2009
Fight On wrote:
<quoted text>
Look sodomite you really think that him playing there was on the level? say hello to the easter bunny, santa and the great pumpin for me as well.
It's trojenz that burst under pressure and that's the only way you were conceived, that hour I paid for your momma cost me more than a few bucks, she gave me a sodomite for a son which is you and a faulty condom.At least she game me my money back for bein so good!
Cheaters never prosper, Cheat On. Like anyone's really going to believe a rich kid like Kevin Love would have needed a financial incentive. When I see SC play I think of some tasty hamburgers and hot dogs with ketchup and mustard on top.
Fight On

Pleasanton, CA

#10 Jun 14, 2009
UCLA Dominance wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheaters never prosper, Cheat On. Like anyone's really going to believe a rich kid like Kevin Love would have needed a financial incentive. When I see SC play I think of some tasty hamburgers and hot dogs with ketchup and mustard on top.
Cheaters never prosper? Not True, have you ever heard of John Wooden? Sam Gilbert? Kevin Love may not have needed or wanted anything but to play ball, but what do you think a dad like his demanded and recieved?......Say hello to the easter bunny for me.......Fight On!!!
UCLA Dominance

Irvine, CA

#11 Jun 14, 2009
Fight On wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheaters never prosper? Not True, have you ever heard of John Wooden? Sam Gilbert? Kevin Love may not have needed or wanted anything but to play ball, but what do you think a dad like his demanded and recieved?......Say hello to the easter bunny for me.......Fight On!!!
If John Wooden cheated than you'll admit right now Pete Carroll is a cheater. It's the same exact unsubstantiated claim and hearsay. There's no direct evidence yet that Pete knew Reggie Bush was getting money and cars from agents, nor evidence he knew Reggie's family was living in a house provided by Michaels. So he deserves the benefit of the doubt just like Wooden.
Fight On

Pleasanton, CA

#12 Jun 14, 2009
UCLA Dominance wrote:
<quoted text>
If John Wooden cheated than you'll admit right now Pete Carroll is a cheater. It's the same exact unsubstantiated claim and hearsay. There's no direct evidence yet that Pete knew Reggie Bush was getting money and cars from agents, nor evidence he knew Reggie's family was living in a house provided by Michaels. So he deserves the benefit of the doubt just like Wooden.
John Wooden is the biggest cheat of all time!!! Pete is great great coach that stands alone without a mafia boss to answer to like Sam Gilbert.
bobzilla

Kapaa, HI

#13 Jun 15, 2009
Joe wrote:
Joe, the thing that is happening to the Trojans sucks for UCLA and the rest of the Pack ten and to a good degree to college basketball too, even if Bruins arent guilty of anything in the case of Kevin Love, which I don't think they are that is besides the point. The problem is the system which forces great coaches like Floyd to bend and then break the rules and the cynicism it creates. I am a bruin fan but this Floyd thing deminishes all college athletics and besides the league needs good teams and coaches.
UCLA Dominance

Irvine, CA

#14 Jun 15, 2009
Fight On wrote:
<quoted text>
John Wooden is the biggest cheat of all time!!! Pete is great great coach that stands alone without a mafia boss to answer to like Sam Gilbert.
Fight on, go have another drink and run-on sentence for me. Don't go to SC, kid, because that mediocre SC education can't help you with that poor grammar.
Fight On

Pleasanton, CA

#15 Jun 15, 2009
UCLA Dominance wrote:
<quoted text>
Fight on, go have another drink and run-on sentence for me. Don't go to SC, kid, because that mediocre SC education can't help you with that poor grammar.
You can't handle the fact that there is a dark cloud hovering over John Wooden.....

“Jackie Robinson B-4 a Dodger”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#16 Jun 15, 2009
The article reads:
"Meanwhile, Howland said he believed Holiday, a Campbell Hall High of North Hollywood alum, made the right decision in staying in the draft.

"I've talked to a lot of (general managers). He's definitely going to be in the top 15," Howland said. "When you get picked that high by a team, that indicates a real commitment and investment in a player. I think it's the right move for him, absolutely."

Pete Carroll needs to take lessons from Howland, on how to support your players' decisions to move on to the next level and NOT throw them under the bus, like he did to Mark Sanchez...Now Sanchez makes 3 times as much as uncle pete, way to go Mark!! great dicision...shut up fruit cake!

Location hidden

#17 Jun 15, 2009
Hey "Fight On" why don't you do everyone a favor and go the puck away! go apply for a job or something else productive. All you're doing is making yourself a bigger asse of yourself than you already were...you're a puckin' Awhole that nobody wants around, everyone hates you...now go away, fruit cake.
UCLA Dominance

Irvine, CA

#18 Jun 15, 2009
Fight On wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't handle the fact that there is a dark cloud hovering over John Wooden.....
There's no dark cloud over Wooden, just the trifling, bitter accusations from the occasional hack writer or jealous fan.

Now the loss of control on Pete's program: having recruiting conversation with Joe McKnight while Reggie Bush is listening in on conference; Matt Leinart's father financing rent for Dwayne Jarrett; or Reggie Bush making deals and taking money as an amateur athlete; that's a dark cloud right there. One you get to deal with right now, Cheat on.
Fight On

Pleasanton, CA

#20 Jun 15, 2009
UCLA Dominance wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no dark cloud over Wooden, just the trifling, bitter accusations from the occasional hack writer or jealous fan.
Now the loss of control on Pete's program: having recruiting conversation with Joe McKnight while Reggie Bush is listening in on conference; Matt Leinart's father financing rent for Dwayne Jarrett; or Reggie Bush making deals and taking money as an amateur athlete; that's a dark cloud right there. One you get to deal with right now, Cheat on.
No one can not praise John Wooden for the magnificent job that he did at UCLA, but he will always be linked with Sam Gilbert, there is no way that he did not know what was going on which makes him guilty.

Location hidden

#21 Jun 15, 2009
Fight On wrote:
<quoted text>
No one can not praise John Wooden for the magnificent job that he did at UCLA, but he will always be linked with Sam Gilbert, there is no way that he did not know what was going on which makes him guilty.
Hey fruit cake, you're the only awhole that even talks about sam gilbert here...well, you can add suc steve, mike, mike jones, jack...and we all know that all these asse wipes is the same dyck (YOU) that is using the name "fight on" for now (until you have to use another name to agree with yourself on a post that everyone ignores).
UCLA Dominance

Irvine, CA

#22 Jun 15, 2009
Fight On wrote:
<quoted text>
From http://www.cbssports.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,21... :

"It doesn't bother me, no, because I had no relationship with him (Gilbert) and I tried to make sure my players tried to be very, very careful," Wooden said. "I know that he tried to ... there have been other alumni, on occasions ... they're everywhere. You have to be very careful, and I did all I could about it.

"It does not bother me. If I had any guilt, I suppose it would bother me. But I feel no guilt at all. I did what I could."

I just don't see how one man like Gilbert, who didn't have any hands-on involvement with teaching the basketball and game management, can be the revisionist reason for people like you why Wooden won all the championships. It's oversimplifying the history of the whole thing. Plus, Wooden won his first two championships in '64 and '65 with his best players being a couple of 6'1" and 6'2" guards.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say providing a house for Reggie Bush's parents made him a better running back. The talent is there already with Bush, and Pete and Norm were building something great. So Bush came to play football for two great coaches. The problem today is the NCAA has rules and regulations. The compliance in 1964 is different for an institution than 2003.

By the way, where's your support for this Love claim?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

UCLA Bruins NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... Sep '14 Brew In 1
UCLA Basketball: Grad Transfer Octeus to Bruins Jun '14 Brew In 1
UCLA finishes sweep of USC with 83-73 win (Feb '14) Feb '14 Brew In 1
Nepotism at UCLA? No Apology (or Humility) from... (Feb '14) Feb '14 1805mdw 1
UCLA's late push lands five-star forward Looney (Oct '13) Oct '13 Brew In 1
UCLA Basketball Media Day: Alford Puts Wooden a... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Andrew Berman 1
Real or Perceived: Alford's Recruiting Issues (Sep '13) Sep '13 Brew In 4
More from around the web