Poor field-goal percentage dooms UCLA...

Poor field-goal percentage dooms UCLA in loss to USC

There are 45 comments on the LA Daily News story from Jan 16, 2010, titled Poor field-goal percentage dooms UCLA in loss to USC. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

How does a UCLA men's basketball team score only four points in nearly seven minutes? For the bumbling Bruins on Saturday at Pauley Pavilion, it was shockingly simple.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

Trojan

Downey, CA

#21 Jan 19, 2010
Adrian G wrote:
<quoted text>Who is your resource for this accusation?
All you have to do is Google, "UCLA, Aaron Arthur Levine" (name of the car wholesaler who was an avid UCLA fan) and the story will come up. Yes, it was 1980, but I believe your claim was that Bruins have never received improper benefits.

Those Wooden National Championships? VERY tainted.

http://silkroadsandsiamesesmiles.com/2009/11/...

But I still think Wooden was a hell of a coach and probably an even better person.(Can't say for sure, since I don't know the man.)

It just amuses the hell out of me to hear (or read) Bruin fans who are so ignorant as to throw out insults about "cheating" programs. Everyone tries to gain an advantage and some go too far.

Have a great day!
Football Fan

Sun City, CA

#22 Jan 19, 2010
USC has been cheating for decades that's how they win. USC Athlete's do not attend class and have students taking notes and doing homework for all those dumb Jocks. The Football players take phony classes at LA Trade tech and get A's. Most of the SC Basketball players could not get into UCLA Period. USC Academic Institution is a joke. Why does SC load up with talent because they promise no-classroom attendence and a chance at the NFL. That's why all the dumb High School All Americans go there. If they make the NFL than it's all good. If they don't,just More SC criminals on the sidelines. Cheat On SC.
Trojan

Downey, CA

#23 Jan 19, 2010
Football Fan wrote:
USC has been cheating for decades that's how they win. USC Athlete's do not attend class and have students taking notes and doing homework for all those dumb Jocks. The Football players take phony classes at LA Trade tech and get A's. Most of the SC Basketball players could not get into UCLA Period. USC Academic Institution is a joke. Why does SC load up with talent because they promise no-classroom attendence and a chance at the NFL. That's why all the dumb High School All Americans go there. If they make the NFL than it's all good. If they don't,just More SC criminals on the sidelines. Cheat On SC.
You see, Adrian! These are the types of crybabies I'm talking about. Want to ignore any issues that have occurred at UCLA. Hilarious.

Everything is cyclical, both the good (championships) and the bad (infractions).

Morons who can't recognize what great schools they both are make me laugh.
SilkRoadsandSiam eseSmiles

United States

#24 Jan 19, 2010
I love it. Keep spreading the truth to those ridiculous UCLA fans.
Trojan

Downey, CA

#25 Jan 19, 2010
SilkRoadsandSiameseSmiles wrote:
I love it. Keep spreading the truth to those ridiculous UCLA fans.
Yeah, funny how he wanted to refer to it as an "accusation".

I don't mind admitting we need to tighten things up, from a compliance standpoint. But for them to act as if nothing has ever gone on over there is so hypocritical.

FIGHT ON!
Football Fan

Sun City, CA

#26 Jan 19, 2010
Trojan You are full of Crap. UCLA has had their fair share of accusations. USC has cheated for Decades and has gotton away with it. You're Academics for Athlete's are a big joke. Yea UCLA has had Sam Gilbert,Handicap Parking,Deshawn Foster Car,Darryl Henly Criminal. USC has had 5000 Sam Gilberts that's how you get borderline Academic athlete's. being Private you guys can hide alot more stuff than other Universities. Yes USC has Great Character Athlete's like OJ Mayo,Todd Marajuanavich,Abdul malik Armed Robbery,Cole Ford Gun,Winston Justice Gun,Purvis miller Gun,Mark(gotaway with Rape) Sanchez, OJ Simpson, Eric Wright Extasy pills,Brain Surgeons RJ Soward,Anthony davis,Keyshawn Johnson,and about 1000 more players never saw the Classroom in 4 year's at SC. University of Spoiled Criminals and cheaters for year's that's something to be proud of. Cheat on for Old SC. Yea SC had their Sam Gilbert and his name was Marv Goux. he funnled the money from SC Alumni for Decades.
Adrian G

Redmond, WA

#27 Jan 19, 2010
Football Fan wrote:
Trojan You are full of Crap. UCLA has had their fair share of accusations. USC has cheated for Decades and has gotton away with it. You're Academics for Athlete's are a big joke. Yea UCLA has had Sam Gilbert,Handicap Parking,Deshawn Foster Car,Darryl Henly Criminal. USC has had 5000 Sam Gilberts that's how you get borderline Academic athlete's. being Private you guys can hide alot more stuff than other Universities. Yes USC has Great Character Athlete's like OJ Mayo,Todd Marajuanavich,Abdul malik Armed Robbery,Cole Ford Gun,Winston Justice Gun,Purvis miller Gun,Mark(gotaway with Rape) Sanchez, OJ Simpson, Eric Wright Extasy pills,Brain Surgeons RJ Soward,Anthony davis,Keyshawn Johnson,and about 1000 more players never saw the Classroom in 4 year's at SC. University of Spoiled Criminals and cheaters for year's that's something to be proud of. Cheat on for Old SC. Yea SC had their Sam Gilbert and his name was Marv Goux. he funnled the money from SC Alumni for Decades.
Football Fan you're my new hero!! Cheat on!
Trojan

Downey, CA

#28 Jan 20, 2010
Football Fan wrote:
You're the one who's full of it, Putz. Yes, you're a public school, so you're going to be under more scrutiny. Are you so stupid you can't comprehend that?!

Quit your crying. You sound like a chick.
Trojan

Downey, CA

#29 Jan 20, 2010
Adrian G wrote:
<quoted text>Football Fan you're my new hero!! Cheat on!
Yeah, this from the moron who was clueless about UCLA cheating. That's rich!
Trojan

Downey, CA

#30 Jan 20, 2010
By the way, Football Fan, don't act as if UCLA is holier than thou. Contrary to what you want to believe, IT'S NOT A CHOICE.

Yes, we're private and can push the boundaries a bit. But you would if you could. Just quit with all of the crying about it.

Yours & Adrian's motto should be CRY ON! LOL!!!
Football Fan

Sun City, CA

#31 Jan 20, 2010
Trojan wrote:
By the way, Football Fan, don't act as if UCLA is holier than thou. Contrary to what you want to believe, IT'S NOT A CHOICE.
Yes, we're private and can push the boundaries a bit. But you would if you could. Just quit with all of the crying about it.
Common Trojan the Truth hurt's. SC is cheating and that's it. Hey Trojan just accept the truth and go sing the gayest SC song of all time awooawoo.
Trojan

Downey, CA

#32 Jan 20, 2010
Football Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Common Trojan the Truth hurt's. SC is cheating and that's it. Hey Trojan just accept the truth and go sing the gayest SC song of all time awooawoo.
Just accept that you're a whiner and want to find excuses for being losers.

CRY ON!!
Trojan

Downey, CA

#33 Jan 20, 2010
Football Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Common Trojan the Truth hurt's. SC is cheating and that's it. Hey Trojan just accept the truth and go sing the gayest SC song of all time awooawoo.
By the way, I will agree with you about the ending of that song. It's where the mellophones come in. The mellophone part si cool, but the people who sing it...gay.

But it's no gayer than that alumni cheerleader of yours! C'mon, you've got to agree with me on that one.

It's all good, Fan. Have a great day!
Encinitas Bruin

Encinitas, CA

#34 Jan 20, 2010
Seth wrote:
Howland had never been good at coaching a half-court offense. It's time for him to get in a good assistant for that. But he has been great at teaching defense that creates a lot of opportunities for easy shots. Until now.
Some of the guys aren't athletic enough to stay with their man, and there's no shame in that, as long as they are trying. But I'm not seeing our guys hit the floor for loose balls. I'm not seeing the intensity that Howland's teams used to have.
Howland also has a strange substitution system that may have the benefit of keeping fresh players in the game but seems to have the drawback of keeping the offense out of rhythm. The system also has the drawback of requiring more good players than UCLA actually has. So, if the players aren't really good enough to play Howland-style defense, and there aren't enough of them, anyway, maybe they should conserve some energy and create more continuity for offense by playing more zone.
In short, it's really hard to argue that Howland is getting the most out of the talent that he actually has. The players may see that, which may partly account for their apparent lack of motivation.
Excellent observations. You hit the nail on the head. Dude, it's good to hear from a Bruin fan from Sweden!

Since: Jun 09

San Fernando Valley

#35 Jan 20, 2010
Trojsteve5 wrote:
How sweet it is winning at Pauley by a big margin coupled with the men's volleyball victory there recently. This by a team who lost their entire top recruiting class plus three top flight starters who left school early. The 'ruins are downright pathetic this year!
No excuses from me Trojsteve5. I know what the Bruins need to do to get back to their final four status, and I just hope the coaching staff does too. We are currently taking a pounding from SC. As much as I hate it, I make no excuses, unlike those pompous SC wannabe football jocks do when SC blows a game against a PAC-10 overachiever!

You SHOULD relish in this as we would (and WILL) when we win a rivalry game.

San Fernando Valley

#36 Jan 20, 2010
Trojan wrote:
If you want to do all this hypothetical crap I could say your boy O.J. would have killed more woemn if he could have gotten away with it. That stuff is stupid saying if we would we could! Bottom line as of right now, we don't, you DO!

San Fernando Valley

#37 Jan 20, 2010
Football Fan wrote:
Excellent comments Football Fan! You forgot one of my favorites, Charles White running naked down the street in an Orange County suburb yielding a trash can lid (trojan shield) high as a kite! Love that one!
Trojan

Downey, CA

#38 Jan 20, 2010
Brew In wrote:
<quoted text> If you want to do all this hypothetical crap I could say your boy ****.J. would have killed more woemn if he could have gotten away with it. That stuff is stupid saying if we would we could! Bottom line as of right now, we don't, you DO!
Hilarious how you can't comprehend that it's not by choice. But no worries.

Seeing how you obviously can't read and did not hear the news that OJ was found innocent, I should not be shocked.
Trojan

Downey, CA

#39 Jan 20, 2010
Also funny you do not see how hypocritical it is to call us cheaters. No worries.
Football Fan

Sun City, CA

#40 Jan 20, 2010
Common Trojan man You guys finally got caught and the NCAA hammer is coming down on SC. I have an Alum from my high school who is on the football staff at SC. I know for a fact that Especialy the football Players at SC go to class twice a month and have a student taking noted for them. They can be sleeping in class or do whatever they want. That's how SC wins in Football. They have no morals and all SC cares about are stupid Alumni who keep giving the almighty Dollar. Win at all costs that's SC's motto.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

UCLA Bruins NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... (Sep '14) Apr '15 tom wingo 4
News UCLA Basketball: Grad Transfer Octeus to Bruins (Jun '14) Jun '14 Brew In 1
News UCLA finishes sweep of USC with 83-73 win (Feb '14) Feb '14 Brew In 1
News Nepotism at UCLA? No Apology (or Humility) from... (Feb '14) Feb '14 1805mdw 1
News UCLA's late push lands five-star forward Looney (Oct '13) Oct '13 Brew In 1
News UCLA Basketball Media Day: Alford Puts Wooden a... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Andrew Berman 1
News Real or Perceived: Alford's Recruiting Issues (Sep '13) Sep '13 Brew In 4
More from around the web