Last second shot lifts Knights over T...

Last second shot lifts Knights over Tulsa

There are 18 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Feb 14, 2009, titled Last second shot lifts Knights over Tulsa. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Freshman point guard A.J. Rompza proved he is indispensable. Rompza was still hobbled by a sprained ankle but still managed to hit a runner in the lane with 0.1 seconds left on the clock to lift the Knights to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

UCFAlumni

Polk City, FL

#1 Feb 14, 2009
It's 11:53, Valentines Day....

Great summary of the win tonight. 5000 people missed an awesome comeback.

This column is what a "community paper" sports department is all about. Good work.

GO KNIGHTS!
College Football Fan

Kissimmee, FL

#2 Feb 14, 2009
What a great game! A very exciting night and what a player Jermaine Taylor is...He will be playing pro ball somewhere, quite possibly in the NBA. Kirk Speraw coahed a great game, empolying the press and changing to a zone defense and running his smaller front line players at Tulsa to get them in foul trouble.
Jay

Palm Bay, FL

#3 Feb 14, 2009
Yeah, it's sad UCF can't fill the arena because it's very entertaining basketball. The energy and noise coming from the 4,100 fans brought topped the energy of 17,000 fans downtown pulling for the Magic though.

College hoops is better than the pros in SO many ways. Center court seats on the 2nd level for $12, how do you beat that deal?
Go Knights

Orlando, FL

#4 Feb 15, 2009
If we're playing like this with 8 freshmen, I can only imagine what UCF will have the next four years.
UCF 95

Bradenton, FL

#5 Feb 15, 2009
Couldn't believe my eyes this morning. I turned the Game Tracker off when they were down by 17 because I had to go out, expecting to read this morning about the loss, then to my suprise, I read that they came back and won. Will not make that mistake again. Congrats to the guys on the comeback, that must have special to watch last night.
UCFAlumni

Polk City, FL

#6 Feb 15, 2009
Jay wrote:
Yeah, it's sad UCF can't fill the arena because it's very entertaining basketball. The energy and noise coming from the 4,100 fans brought topped the energy of 17,000 fans downtown pulling for the Magic though.
College hoops is better than the pros in SO many ways. Center court seats on the 2nd level for $12, how do you beat that deal?
Really! The magic pull 17K every game? I hear it more like 9-11K every game.
Briannn

Oviedo, FL

#7 Feb 15, 2009
Go Knights wrote:
If we're playing like this with 8 freshmen, I can only imagine what UCF will have the next four years.
Being that outside of the two Seniors, the team scored only 21 points.. I am a little worried about next season. Hopefully I am wrong and all the youth will mature quickly (plus Clanton).
Steve

Orlando, FL

#8 Feb 15, 2009
I don't want to rain on your parade!! But everyone is talking about filling up the arena.I was at the Houston game and the game was over the first 10 minutes! You cannot attract new casual fans playing this way. You end up with the hard core Knights fans only

The fact that they came back from 17 deficit shows that we still have the same problems we had before, trying to chatch up late. Great and crucial win, nonetheless!
DaytonaFan

AOL

#9 Feb 15, 2009
Wow, Steve! That's reason to never come again. You went to the only poorly played home game in the history of the new arena, a game with our star point guard out and against the second best team in the league Houston who was so hot it couldn't miss a shot. And UCF is still ranked near the highest in its history and has the 5th leading scorer in the nation.

Meanwhile, none of the local TV news had video but had plenty of time to cover losses by UF to winless Georgia and FSU's embarrassing loss. Hope the FCC strips their licenses or forces them to broadcast from Gainesville.
Jimmy

Windermere, FL

#10 Feb 15, 2009
UCFAlumni wrote:
<quoted text>
Really! The magic pull 17K every game? I hear it more like 9-11K every game.
Since "you heard" that there are 9-11K, it obviously means you haven't been there to see the 17k on hand at the O-Rena. A game at UCF arena can't touch a playoff Magic game, no matter how many times they play the war chant and do the little stomp clap cheerleader bit after a made freethrow.
Jimmy

Windermere, FL

#11 Feb 15, 2009
Jay wrote:
Yeah, it's sad UCF can't fill the arena because it's very entertaining basketball. The energy and noise coming from the 4,100 fans brought topped the energy of 17,000 fans downtown pulling for the Magic though.
College hoops is better than the pros in SO many ways. Center court seats on the 2nd level for $12, how do you beat that deal?
BTW, if there were 4,100 people there last night, I am Donald Trump. UCF is famous for using that tricky "tickets distributed" figure for it's attendance. It seemed like more in the 2500-3000 range.

That was my first UCF basketball game in a long time last night, and I had a great time. But can we please chill with the hyperbole. UCF has a long way to go in basketball. Their position in CUSA will not change until they can beat Memphis. The atmosphere at the game was fun, but it doesn't come close to a big time college game or an NBA game. Please don't make it out to be more than it was, a good victory for a mediocre team.

Since: Sep 07

Oviedo, FL

#12 Feb 15, 2009
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, if there were 4,100 people there last night, I am Donald Trump. UCF is famous for using that tricky "tickets distributed" figure for it's attendance. It seemed like more in the 2500-3000 range.
That was my first UCF basketball game in a long time last night, and I had a great time. But can we please chill with the hyperbole. UCF has a long way to go in basketball. Their position in CUSA will not change until they can beat Memphis. The atmosphere at the game was fun, but it doesn't come close to a big time college game or an NBA game. Please don't make it out to be more than it was, a good victory for a mediocre team.
I've been to many NBA games and games at U Conn, UCLA, UF and NC St and that was as entertaining and big time as any of them. Florida is a football state and it has been hard for all of the state universities to generate consistent crowds. Only UF and FSU out draw UCF and it took UF winning a national championship to really pull fans in for every game
steve

Eustis, FL

#13 Feb 15, 2009
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, if there were 4,100 people there last night, I am Donald Trump. UCF is famous for using that tricky "tickets distributed" figure for it's attendance. It seemed like more in the 2500-3000 range.
That was my first UCF basketball game in a long time last night, and I had a great time. But can we please chill with the hyperbole. UCF has a long way to go in basketball. Their position in CUSA will not change until they can beat Memphis. The atmosphere at the game was fun, but it doesn't come close to a big time college game or an NBA game. Please don't make it out to be more than it was, a good victory for a mediocre team.
you know what jimmy...you go go suck it for all i care.

thee were 4100 fans there...they use turnstyles you dumby....this isnt football.

i hate people like you..GTFO....and F the gators and F the seminoles.

And F the local news for not covering the local team but rather the pathetic losses of the UF and FSU....that crap is crappy.
Steve

Orlando, FL

#14 Feb 15, 2009
DaytonaFan:

If you read my comments carefully, you find that I:
Never said not going again.
Never said it's my first time.
Never said it's my last time.

All I'm saying is the team needs to be more consistent so that the casual fan can be encouraged to spend time and money to come to the game again. Losing in a blow out ala Houston don't help.
DaytonaFan wrote:
Wow, Steve! That's reason to never come again. You went to the only poorly played home game in the history of the new arena, a game with our star point guard out and against the second best team in the league Houston who was so hot it couldn't miss a shot. And UCF is still ranked near the highest in its history and has the 5th leading scorer in the nation.
Meanwhile, none of the local TV news had video but had plenty of time to cover losses by UF to winless Georgia and FSU's embarrassing loss. Hope the FCC strips their licenses or forces them to broadcast from Gainesville.
Yikes

Lake Mary, FL

#15 Feb 16, 2009
steve wrote:
<quoted text>
you know what jimmy...you go go suck it for all i care.
thee were 4100 fans there...they use turnstyles you dumby....this isnt football.
i hate people like you..GTFO....and F the gators and F the seminoles.
And F the local news for not covering the local team but rather the pathetic losses of the UF and FSU....that crap is crappy.
You just took away the tiny amount of credibility UCF fans hold.

You sir, are a pathetic moron.
Yikes

Lake Mary, FL

#16 Feb 16, 2009
UCFGrad wrote:
<quoted text>I've been to many NBA games and games at U Conn, UCLA, UF and NC St and that was as entertaining and big time as any of them. Florida is a football state and it has been hard for all of the state universities to generate consistent crowds. Only UF and FSU out draw UCF and it took UF winning a national championship to really pull fans in for every game
Yeah yeah yeah, your typical talk about how UCF is the greatest and can never fault, blah blah blah. I've been reading these boards for a long time and it's always the same crap out of you. Any "fan" that can't admit his/her team has flaws is insecure, among other things.

Since: Sep 07

Oviedo, FL

#17 Feb 16, 2009
Yikes wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah yeah yeah, your typical talk about how UCF is the greatest and can never fault, blah blah blah. I've been reading these boards for a long time and it's always the same crap out of you. Any "fan" that can't admit his/her team has flaws is insecure, among other things.
Did u fail reading comprehension? Where did you see that I said the UCF basketball team is the greatest and that this team has no faults?
Go Knights

Orlando, FL

#18 Feb 17, 2009
Briannn wrote:
<quoted text>
Being that outside of the two Seniors, the team scored only 21 points.. I am a little worried about next season. Hopefully I am wrong and all the youth will mature quickly (plus Clanton).
While your logic makes some sense, Jermaine Taylor wasn't the nation's 5th-leading scorer his freshman year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Central Florida Golden Knights NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCF fans won't be hooping it up anytime soon (Mar '14) Mar '14 ucffan 1
News UCF guard Isaiah Sykes' rise to pro prospect fu... (Mar '14) Mar '14 ucffan 1
News Michael Jordan's son arrested after Omaha hotel... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Duh 2
News Miners take on UCF in Monday morning basketball... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Jay 16
News UTEP tries to rebound against UCF (Feb '11) Feb '11 Miners1 10
News C-USA teams all over .500 (Jan '11) Jan '11 kol 6
News Miners Mania: UTEP men's basketball team turns ... (Jan '10) Jan '10 javi 10
More from around the web