OSU gets curious seeding | BuckeyeXtra

OSU gets curious seeding | BuckeyeXtra

There are 90 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Mar 15, 2010, titled OSU gets curious seeding | BuckeyeXtra. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

If Ohio State had a case for being the second-best No.2 seed in the NCAA Tournament field, why were the Buckeyes placed in the same region as Kansas, the tournament's overall No.1? UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero, the chairman of the tournament selection committee, said after the bracket was released last night that the perception of where Ohio ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Marshawn

Whitehouse, OH

#22 Mar 15, 2010
Of Course, "of course" makes the most sense! He/she/it states "Well... maybe they were hoping to see Kansas in the Final 4 or the Championship, not the Elite 8."

The previous comments were simplistic, of course. Buckeye fans tend to react emotionally sans logic.

“Bleeding Scarlet and Gray!”

Since: Sep 09

Worthington

#23 Mar 15, 2010
Who cares about the seeding? Keep playing like the second overtime against Ill and the second half against Minn and it doesn't matter who we play. Tear it up Bucks!!! Oh, and let's root for OhioU against Georgetown as well!
Steve VC

Dublin, OH

#24 Mar 15, 2010
I'll tell you what: if Ohio State advances to the regional final and gets nipped by Kansas in a squeaker you can go ahead and whine. The way I see it, Ohio State gets to play closer to home.
Wron

Chicago, IL

#25 Mar 15, 2010
MHS wrote:
If we expect to win the National Championship, we'll have to beat a #1 team anyway. Why not beat them in the Regional? If we don't think we can beat Kansas then how do we expect to win the tournament?
Go Bucks!
Hey I'm with you.. but for some reason this is the only tournament in the known universe where getting to the semifinal is seen as a bigger deal than getting to the finals.
Irony Cop

Dublin, OH

#26 Mar 15, 2010
Buckeye fans love to whine. There's always a conspiracy aqainst them.

I grew up a Buckeye fan but after 20 years of living in Columbus I would never admit it. These people don't understand that the Buckeyes are respected all over the country. It's the fans people can't stand. Buckeye fans are regarded as arrogant, whiny and stupid. All accurate characterizations.
OkieBuck

Owasso, OK

#27 Mar 15, 2010
The draw, is what it is folks; all that matters is focusing on the team you're playing and getting to the next game. We are playing as well as anybody right now; have THE best player in the country who not only scores but dishes the rock and hits the boards. He also has a supporting cast which though not deep always seems to have someone step up when they need it. Take em one game at a time and if we get to play Kansas it will be a hell of game. I've seen them a bunch out here in Big 12 country and no question the Bucks beat them too. Right now though, it's all about the Gauchos.
Go Bucks; it's time to dance, let's keep it rolling !!
Mike In Raleigh

Carthage, NC

#28 Mar 15, 2010
ImUrPO wrote:
I don't care what anyone say's, Ohio State got Screwed by the Selection Committee. Putting OSU in the same bracket as Kansas is Ridiculous. That means OSU is the Weakest of the # 2 seeds. West Virginia is a better # 2 seed, but after that OSU has done better than the other two. This is a slap in our kids face.
Well, Ohio State has to prove themselves once again. In the Hardest bracket I might add.
Good Luck Buckeyes !!! Great WIN !!
Yep. Amazingly, Coach K was just on our local radio saying "we are one of few teams who won their regular season and conference tournaments." Didn't he just describe Ohio State? The seeding does indeed reveal OSU as the defacto last of the two seeds ... behind KSU and Nova is just a joke. I frankly wish we were seeded more properly as the #2 two seed ... that would put us in Houston vs. Duke (IF we managed to reach the Regionals ... always an IF). I would love to be in Duke's bracket ... man they are weak. Nova got lucky, and that whole South regional is a joke. I would love playing in Houston ... the Thad Five went to the F4 playing in San Antonio ... it's nice in Texas.

BUT, playing the hand we're dealt, wouldn't it be something to reach the F4 beating Georgetown and Kansas? A Herculean effort would be needed. I "fear" G-town as much if not more than Kansas. Makes my sour grapes once again say THANKS YOU JERKS, to the selection committee.
Mike in Raleigh
Living with the cards dealt,
Hiccup

Dublin, OH

#29 Mar 15, 2010
Hopefully, the regional games will be a repeat of the Big 10 Tournament. That is, we will beat Oklahoma State or Georgia Tech by one point on a last tenth of a second 37 foot jump shot by ET. Then, we will beat Georgetown in double overtime. Finally, in the Regional final, we will beat Kansas 90-61! Go Bucks!!!!
Jeff

Aliso Viejo, CA

#30 Mar 15, 2010
While I agree with most of the posters that to win the championship, you'll have to beat Kansas, I think that misses the point.

I believe the goal is to advance as far in the dance as possible. This benefits the fans, the players, the school's reputation, recruiting, etc. Next year, no one will mention which was the toughest region, but they will talk about who made the final 4. Being able to say, "We've been to the Elite 8 in 3 of the past 6 years" - for example - shows consistancy and excellence. Being stuck in a harder region makes it less likely to advance.

To say that the goal is to win the Championship is great - but keep in mind that there are other goals as well, e.g. playing as many tourney games as possible.
Hilliard resident

Columbus, OH

#31 Mar 15, 2010
Sure, the midwest region got stacked. The tournament committee is really trying to prevent Kansas from getting to the final four, why else would Ohio State be seeded there? Plus OSU getting to the final four gets Duke in the semi's, so we can lay a major beat down on them, assuming Duke is even strong enough to win their regional, which seems unlikely! To win the dance, you gotta beat the best, be it in the first 2 rounds, the regionals or the final four. Time to take the rock to the hole!!!
BDD

Saint Louis, MO

#32 Mar 15, 2010
Once again, the NCAA kissed Duke's rear end.
ADD

Morris, CT

#33 Mar 15, 2010
The Wiz wrote:
I've followed this thread during the season and the Big 10 tournament proves you analysts right. We'll get tired legs because we don't substitute. Notice how we faded in the 2nd OT Saturday and the 2nd half Sunday (scored only 55 points). We don't match up with teams with a big front line. We were manhandled by Iverson and Sampson III. Now we're screwed by the selection committee. I'm a Buckeye fan or I wouldn't be reading this stuff, but guys & gals, our RPI is only 26 and the committee has that info.
"The Wiz" you're NOT!! Sampson & Iverson COMBINED got 12 points -- and David Lighty, while giving up 6", ate Sampson's lunch. You're just another fan who listen's to the talking heads rather than seeing the actual results.
Irony Cop

Dublin, OH

#34 Mar 15, 2010
Jeff wrote:
While I agree with most of the posters that to win the championship, you'll have to beat Kansas, I think that misses the point.
I believe the goal is to advance as far in the dance as possible. This benefits the fans, the players, the school's reputation, recruiting, etc. Next year, no one will mention which was the toughest region, but they will talk about who made the final 4. Being able to say, "We've been to the Elite 8 in 3 of the past 6 years" - for example - shows consistancy and excellence. Being stuck in a harder region makes it less likely to advance.
To say that the goal is to win the Championship is great - but keep in mind that there are other goals as well, e.g. playing as many tourney games as possible.
It's not a harder region, Kansas is the number 1 overall seed so it stands to reason that the selection committee loaded up the rest of the bracket with the weakest of the subsequent seeds. If that's the case, Ohio State got a better draw until they get to the final and then it's only a harder draw if Kansas advances as well.

If anybody should be upset it's Kansas. If Ohio State is really the second toughest 2 seed (which, by the way, sounds silly)then Kansas should be screaming bloody murder over gettting such a tough draw.

Let's put it this way, if Ohio State loses in the second round it's got nothing to do with the draw.

“Bleeding Scarlet and Gray!”

Since: Sep 09

Worthington

#35 Mar 15, 2010
ADD wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Wiz" you're NOT!! Sampson & Iverson COMBINED got 12 points -- and David Lighty, while giving up 6", ate Sampson's lunch. You're just another fan who listen's to the talking heads rather than seeing the actual results.
I think he was joking...comments like we ONLY scored 55 points in the second half. And saying we got tired and faded in the second overtime when we opened up the game against Ill. I can only assume he is joking, and if he wasn't then he is an idiot. But I do believe it was a joke.
Chaz

Columbus, OH

#36 Mar 15, 2010
Here is the truth, and it is very simple.
You can't be the best if you don't play the best.

If you are complaining about which bracket they are in. It probably means you had envisioned them making it to a certain level and not all the way in the tourney.
Wow it would be great if they make it to the sweet 16, others want to see the Buckeyes make it to the elite 8 etc. and the easiest way to do that is by getting an easy schedule. If you play cupcakes 1/2 the way you won't be ready to meet the big boys.
Like I said earlier I hope the Buckeyes look at their schedule and say to themselves, we will have to bring our "A" game to get this done! If they give it all they got and leave it all on the floor, I for one will be proud of what they accomplished this year. GO BUCKS!!
Brutus

Toledo, OH

#37 Mar 15, 2010
Hiccup wrote:
Hopefully, the regional games will be a repeat of the Big 10 Tournament. That is, we will beat Oklahoma State or Georgia Tech by one point on a last tenth of a second 37 foot jump shot by ET. Then, we will beat Georgetown in double overtime. Finally, in the Regional final, we will beat Kansas 90-61! Go Bucks!!!!
You will have a few buckeye fans in hospitals for heart attacks then.
Brutus

Toledo, OH

#38 Mar 15, 2010
Kansas fans are saying we got screwed. Why do we have to play all these tough teams? Kentucky, Syracuse, Duke got off easy.
buckeye up north

Great Neck, NY

#39 Mar 15, 2010
be thankful that the bucks get to play all of their games close to home. would you rather they be on the west coast?
Jeff

Aliso Viejo, CA

#40 Mar 15, 2010
IRONY - It is a matter of opinion which region is tougher. But let me ask you this - if all the 2 seeds were erased, and you could put your team in any of the 2 seed slots, which would you choose?

For me it's easy - I would pick the South, where Duke is the #1 seed. After that it would be a toss up between East and West. Midwest would be my last choice.
SSD1979

Lakeland, FL

#41 Mar 15, 2010
It's much better to be in the Midwest bracket and not have excessive travel/time zone differences. In the East region, the guys with whistles will be from the BE/ACC/MEAS/A10 leagues and not friendly to the physical play that dominates the middle American leagues,especially the Big10, and as few as three or four fouls less in a game would be huge with the short bench we play.

Aggressive play on both ends are keys to this team in the tourney. Better to be in their comfort zone and on their toes than feeling things out and making adjustments from their heels.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of California, Santa Barbara Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Season to remember | BuckeyeXtra (May '11) May '11 Big Time 5
News Men's volleyball: Buckeyes win first national t... (May '11) May '11 Joe from Kettering 24
News UTEP women's basketball: Miners' offense on hia... (Dec '10) Dec '10 catnapfever 1
News Dirtbags' goal only thing swept away (Apr '10) Apr '10 Leadership 2
News Palma High alum Orlando Johnson leading UC Sant... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Kevin 4
News Buckeyes Ready To Open Tourney | WBNS-10TV, Cen... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Net Guru 7
News Adios, Gauchos | BuckeyeXtra (Mar '10) Mar '10 Jason 20
More from around the web