UTEP men's basketball: UTEP falls 3 points short to UAB in triple OT

Full story: El Paso Times 41
UAB's Dexter Fields looks around the pressure of Christian Polk in the first half of a college basketball game at Bartow Arena in Birmingham, Ala., Saturday. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Monchis

El Paso, TX

#1 Jan 8, 2011
What a shame that the Miner's valiant effort against an overmatched UAB team was stymied by blowing whistles! Some questionable phantom calls eventually did UTEP in!
One phantom call of particular consequence was called on Julyan Stone at a very critical time in the game!
UTEP was up by three points and he had just grabbed what seemed to be a game saving rebound after a UAB miss, when out of nowhere he was called for a pushing foul! Consequently, sending an undesrving UAB player to the line to shoot some free throws that were the catalyst in UTEP's defeat!
Needless to say, three of UTEP's starters fouled out! Hmm, how convenient they just happened to be UTEP's key players!
I recall some idiot writing something a while back at the Times about how, "refs don't rook", crapola! Well, he was proved wrong, because refs, "DO ROOK"!
What a disgusting way to lose a fabulous game!
The Miners have nothing to hang their heads about, because they did win! Too bad the refs decided the outcome on the scoreboard!
woodrow11205

Tuscaloosa, AL

#2 Jan 8, 2011
no whining.
Excellent game. Well-played by both teams. Great game to witness in person.
miner3223

El Paso, TX

#3 Jan 8, 2011
i totally agree with you, the refs had me all worked up with their horrible calls. aaron johnson got fouled on the floor, the whistle was blown, and he proceeded to take two steps and shoot a layup. then the ref decides to give him nba like continuation. claude gave a little shimmy in the post without shuffling his feet and he gets called for traveling. culpepper got held on defense he gets called for a hand check, unbelievable
woodrow11205

Tuscaloosa, AL

#4 Jan 8, 2011
if we could have finished around the basket, it's all a non-issue. How many points did we leave on the floor? I can think of five point-blank misses.
Tomas

Elko, NV

#5 Jan 9, 2011
Face the facts and stop whining. utep lost because UTEP SUCKS! Just like whiner fans to blame their demise on the refs instead of taking responsibility like real adults.
El Hombre

Old Town, FL

#6 Jan 9, 2011
What a game!

The refs did a poor job, but foul trouble and poor shot selections really cost UTEP this game in the end. Great effort though!

Both these teams should be playing in the NCAA tournament come March, especially w/the new 68 team format.

Bravo UTEP! Don't hang your heads on this game, you played your arses off.
Bill

Vista, CA

#7 Jan 9, 2011
Great game! The Miners kept coming back even though everything was stacked against them.
Go Miners, beat Tulane.
Orange

El Paso, TX

#9 Jan 9, 2011
Great effort by both teams. That's what I call basketball! Can't wait for the C-USA tourney so I can witness phenomenal play by all our C-USA teams. Go Miners!
Jeremy

Hayden, AL

#10 Jan 9, 2011
Blazer fan here. What a game! There is no way I want UAB to play UTEP in the conference tourney. Culpepper is a beast. He may very well be the best visiting player to play at Bartow Arena this year. It's a real shame that someone had to lose that one.

As for the officiating- they weren't great and we had to play with the same guys your team had to play with. They were bad on both sides of the ball.

Good luck the rest of the season, win the west, and stay on the other side of the conference tourney bracket from UAB!
Theres No Excuse

AOL

#11 Jan 9, 2011
Theres no excuse for bad officiating from Conference USA refferees, and yesterdays match was one of those games where the official only call the calls they want and they call some calls that are uncalled for.
They made all the differnce in this particular game, and C-USA wants people to think that everything was ok, it's not ok when you have to cheat by having the worst officials in your payroll and they play team favorites so that they make sure a certain team will win which was the case yesterday.
It's just as bad as the officiating in the NFL.
Bubba

El Paso, TX

#12 Jan 9, 2011
The refs did not cost UTEP the game. Really the only bad call was the continuation play. The foul call on Stone was the right call as he had his forearm in th lower back of the UAB player then extended his arm. If UTEP had blocked out that player would never had been there. Gabe M. needs to learn ho3w to play D without fouling. I have been a UTEP season ticket holder for 20+ years and I really like this team. The hustle Bohanan showed and the spark Britten gave us yesterday were awesome. Polk has been by far the biggest suprise I love has game. Thomas this year has been the biggest disappointment, really has not improved. Lasr but not least Randy is Randy. Go Miners
hmmm

AOL

#13 Jan 9, 2011
Britten played a great overtime period,it would be nice if the big man plays with that kind of intensity all the time!... Go Miners beat Tulane..

Since: Jun 10

Dallas, TX

#14 Jan 9, 2011
I love the energy, passion and hustle of the UTEP basketball players. It was a shame they lost after the three comebacks to extend the game. Floyd is a very smart basketball Coach. I watched the UAB game and was really deflated when we were beaten. Give the players a lot of credit, they don't know how to quit. I know they were exausted, but it didn't show.
David Hall

Dallas, TX

#15 Jan 9, 2011
UTEP needs to finish strong around the basket! So many missed layups? All they needed was 1 point! Hit one layup or make one more free throw and the outcome is different. When these kids learn to take every shot like it is the last and stop committing STUPID fouls (Bohannon and McCulley) they will win these games. Stop blaming the refs. UAB did what it took to win and they deserve the credit. AJ is awesome and got to the paint at will. The only horrible call I saw was the continuation basket by AJ.

Seems weird that Floyd had no confidence to put Britton in the game when Bohannon was flailing, but then he becomes the goto guy in overtime. Meanwhile Polk who made two threes to end regulation doesnt score in the three overtimes? Maybe our three guards were dead tired because we have no reliable bench.
David Hall

Dallas, TX

#16 Jan 9, 2011
Anyway, we are all proud of the miners! Keep up the good work and go MINERS!
ruli

El Paso, TX

#17 Jan 9, 2011
Jeremy wrote:
Blazer fan here. What a game! There is no way I want UAB to play UTEP in the conference tourney. Culpepper is a beast. He may very well be the best visiting player to play at Bartow Arena this year. It's a real shame that someone had to lose that one.
As for the officiating- they weren't great and we had to play with the same guys your team had to play with. They were bad on both sides of the ball.
Good luck the rest of the season, win the west, and stay on the other side of the conference tourney bracket from UAB!

Thanks you are a class act. I also can't wait for the tournament
ohmygosh

El Paso, TX

#18 Jan 9, 2011
Jeremy wrote:
you are one classy individual, thanks for not trashtalking and for making Miner fans feel better after this tough loss!
El Hombre

Zebulon, GA

#19 Jan 9, 2011
Jeremy wrote:
Agreed. I was court-side at the ball game (just to the right of the Miner bench at court level). And, what a game!

UAB will have it's hands full if the Miners stay healthy thru early March. I plan to travel to El Paso watch this tournament. Better bring your popcorn.

Go Miners!
_Arrrrrrr

AOL

#20 Jan 9, 2011
SHAME ON CONFERENCE U.S.A. you have lopsided officials, probably southerners because thats the only way teams from the South can win, they need help from the officials at was the case yesterday otherwise UTEP would have killed UAB had it not been for the dirty reffs.
TCU

Fort Worth, TX

#21 Jan 9, 2011
utep had uab on the ropes in the early part of the 2nd half need to put away a team when you have the chance, but this team and coach are still learning about each other and by the end of the year they should be both on the same page, great game to watch both teams played their heart out somebody had to lose , this is a wide open conference that could be won by any of 5 teams, so good luck texas was well represented in this one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Alabama NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The weird, wacky and wow of the weekend (Sep '13) Sep '13 Big Time 1
Meyer has a name picked if he has another son (Sep '12) Sep '12 Matt from Columbus 2
Gators drill UAB for first shutout in five years (Sep '11) Sep '11 harold 2
Preseason All-High-Mid-Major Team (May '11) May '11 johnny d 1
East Carolina upsets top-seed UAB in Conference... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Orange 3
UAB coach, player sweep top Conference USA honors (Mar '11) Mar '11 T-Bird 7
UTEP's Randy Culpepper, Julyan Stone get All-Co... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Bill 7

University of Alabama NCAA People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE