Tulsa's firepower too much for UCF

Tulsa's firepower too much for UCF

There are 79 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Oct 26, 2008, titled Tulsa's firepower too much for UCF. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

David Johnson threw for 264 yards and a touchdown, ran for two more scores and brought No.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Reality Check

Lincoln, NE

#62 Oct 27, 2008
bob wrote:
<quoted text>
We won the conference last year! Good grief what fair weather fans we have. Remember both the Gators and Seminoles played football for over 50 years before winning a conference title.
News flash...CUSA doesn't count. CUSA is a nice way to make bottom feeder teams like UCF content enough to hang around and be a paycheck game for the real college teams to warm up with.
UCF Player

Oviedo, FL

#63 Oct 27, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
News flash...CUSA doesn't count. CUSA is a nice way to make bottom feeder teams like UCF content enough to hang around and be a paycheck game for the real college teams to warm up with.
Hmmmmm....I think Tulsa is ranked ahead of all the "great" Big East teams in the Top 25. And didn't ECU beat the best team in Big East, WVU? So if CUSA doesn't count, Big East is right there with us. That fraud of a conference should never be BCS.
Coach Hater

Austin, TX

#64 Oct 27, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob, it's no use trying to have a meaningful conversation with the "Checkmeister" All he does is trash UCF and seldom makes any positive comments, here. Best to just ignore his five-year-old tempertantrums and focus instead on how we're going to solve the GOL problem.
bob

Northbrook, IL

#65 Oct 27, 2008
Coach Hater wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm...Eric Planchard's family might disagree, there.
Sorry about the morbid sarcasm.
Reality Check

Lincoln, NE

#66 Oct 27, 2008
UCF Player wrote:
<quoted text>Hmmmmm....I think Tulsa is ranked ahead of all the "great" Big East teams in the Top 25. And didn't ECU beat the best team in Big East, WVU? So if CUSA doesn't count, Big East is right there with us. That fraud of a conference should never be BCS.
If you have followed my posts over time you would know that I concede an East Carolina, Tulsa and even UCF will flair up now and then, but that's all it will be. They'll get lucky with a player or two and have a couple of good seasons, and then slip back into mediocrity at best. East Carolina has been a coming and going blip on college football radar for almost 20 years now, and yet when it's all said and done they are really just a perennial second-tier program. That's what people need to accept about UCF, and stop have grand illusions of anything else because it's just not going to happen.
No Whining

Orlando, FL

#67 Oct 27, 2008
Coach Hater wrote:
<quoted text>
2-5 those are the facts. If we had a qb that could run the offense we would have beaten USF, BC and UM. All of those games were close enough that one or two decent offensive plays would have made the difference in the game.
Quit whinning about who we lost from last year. It's GOL's job to have the replacements tuned up and waiting to play. Players run out of college eligibility, that's a fact of the game. It's not like you don't know it's going to happen. Yeah, Kevin Smith was somewhat of a surprise, and then Phillip Smith left, too. But a team shouldn't be defined by one skill position. If it is, then that's a coaching problem.
I'm sorry, but UCF lost 34-7 to Boston College. UCF's lone touchdown was set up by a 44 yard scramble by the quarterback. That's hardly being one or two plays away from being a different game.
nope

Orlando, FL

#68 Oct 27, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth never gets old, and until someone refutes any of my points it stands as such. Hopefully UCF finally realizes their place in college football and goes back down to I-AA where they might win some games with some regularity.
i doubt it. ucf better go to division 3 if it wants to start winning games.
bob

Northbrook, IL

#69 Oct 28, 2008
nope wrote:
<quoted text>i doubt it. ucf better go to division 3 if it wants to start winning games.
Conference Champs last year. We beat Tulsa twice. Need I say more.
Reality Check

Lincoln, NE

#70 Oct 28, 2008
bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Conference Champs last year. We beat Tulsa twice. Need I say more.
This is merely proof that Tulsa is not a BCS school given UCF's futile record against BCS schools and ranked teams.
bob

Northbrook, IL

#71 Oct 29, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
This is merely proof that Tulsa is not a BCS school given UCF's futile record against BCS schools and ranked teams.
What are you talking about, we beat Alabama a couple of years ago. Let's see...oh yeah, they are ranked #2 this year.
Reality Check

Lincoln, NE

#72 Oct 29, 2008
bob wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about, we beat Alabama a couple of years ago. Let's see...oh yeah, they are ranked #2 this year.
Are you really that ignorant or are you kidding? That's right they are ranked #2 this year, and the year UCF beat them they were at the very bottom of the SEC if not college football. UCF's record against BCS teams is 2-40!!! And to show I can back up my posts, the year UCF beat Alabama was 2000 (yes, not a couple of years ago), and to top it off Alabama was 3-8 that year!!! Feel stupid yet? How about the other BCS team beat. That would have been the 5-7 North Carolina State Wolfpack who finished last in their ACC division.
bob

Northbrook, IL

#73 Oct 30, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you really that ignorant or are you kidding? That's right they are ranked #2 this year, and the year UCF beat them they were at the very bottom of the SEC if not college football. UCF's record against BCS teams is 2-40!!! And to show I can back up my posts, the year UCF beat Alabama was 2000 (yes, not a couple of years ago), and to top it off Alabama was 3-8 that year!!! Feel stupid yet? How about the other BCS team beat. That would have been the 5-7 North Carolina State Wolfpack who finished last in their ACC division.
What was Florida State's win/loss record year after year before Bowden came along? How about Florida? UF never won the SEC until Spurrier showed up. That was a lot of years of futility for these two premier BCS schools. All that I am saying is that UCF is on the way up. We have not arrived, but are on the right track. There are 50,000 students attending UCF and we are an equal scholastically now. We will be an equal in sports to these other two programs in the future.
Reality Check

Lincoln, NE

#74 Oct 30, 2008
bob wrote:
<quoted text>
What was Florida State's win/loss record year after year before Bowden came along? How about Florida? UF never won the SEC until Spurrier showed up. That was a lot of years of futility for these two premier BCS schools. All that I am saying is that UCF is on the way up. We have not arrived, but are on the right track. There are 50,000 students attending UCF and we are an equal scholastically now. We will be an equal in sports to these other two programs in the future.
I went to UCF 20 years ago and sizewise and scholastically UCF wasn't that much different than it is now. I'm not sure what track you see UCF on, but since joining Division 1A they have fallen flat on their face. Winning CUSA every now and then doesn't qualify them for being on the right track. Maybe having a respectable record against BCS teams or beating at least one ranked team or winning a bowl game would be a glimmer of hope, but there's nothing in sight like that. Bottom line...UCF is a second-tier college football team that will be happy when it can win it's bottom feeder conference every few years if they put it all together.
U R Dumb

Orlando, FL

#75 Oct 31, 2008
bob wrote:
<quoted text>
That has to be the funniest thing I've read in a long time. How does beating a 3-8 team 8 years ago have any bearing on what's taking place today? Wishful thinking will not get you very far. It's admirable that you have such pride in your team, but perhaps you need to remove the blinders and see the big picture.

Let's call it like we see it. UCF is not good this year. The offense is terrible. Until UCF starts recruiting some depth, they will continue to only be decent every couple of years.
bob

Northbrook, IL

#76 Oct 31, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to UCF 20 years ago and sizewise and scholastically UCF wasn't that much different than it is now. I'm not sure what track you see UCF on, but since joining Division 1A they have fallen flat on their face. Winning CUSA every now and then doesn't qualify them for being on the right track. Maybe having a respectable record against BCS teams or beating at least one ranked team or winning a bowl game would be a glimmer of hope, but there's nothing in sight like that. Bottom line...UCF is a second-tier college football team that will be happy when it can win it's bottom feeder conference every few years if they put it all together.
So why don't you ignore what I said about Fl. State and Florida so you can keep bashing UCF. Both of those teams played footbal longer than UCF has been existence before they won any conference championship. UCF will improve just like the above mentioned schools did. It will take time, and people with a loser mentality like you will eventually eat your words.
bob

Northbrook, IL

#77 Oct 31, 2008
U R Dumb wrote:
<quoted text>
That has to be the funniest thing I've read in a long time. How does beating a 3-8 team 8 years ago have any bearing on what's taking place today? Wishful thinking will not get you very far. It's admirable that you have such pride in your team, but perhaps you need to remove the blinders and see the big picture.
Let's call it like we see it. UCF is not good this year. The offense is terrible. Until UCF starts recruiting some depth, they will continue to only be decent every couple of years.
I know that we have only beaten two BCS teams. I know that we are not where we want to be. I am not a fair weather fan. I was going to UCF when it was FTU and the football program started in 1978. i graduated in 1980. We have come a long way since then. It is exciting that we are playing big name schools and all I am saying is that eventually we will start beating them.
Reality Check

Lincoln, NE

#78 Nov 1, 2008
bob wrote:
<quoted text>
So why don't you ignore what I said about Fl. State and Florida so you can keep bashing UCF. Both of those teams played footbal longer than UCF has been existence before they won any conference championship. UCF will improve just like the above mentioned schools did. It will take time, and people with a loser mentality like you will eventually eat your words.
Neither of us will be alive for me to eat my words so I'm not to worried.
Reality Check

Lincoln, NE

#79 Nov 2, 2008
I love it...Tulsa finally cracks top 25 only to get beaten by celler-dweller Arkansas!!! Yeah, that's the best CUSA has to offer. Second-tier would be an undeserved comment for any CUSA team.
bob

Northbrook, IL

#81 Nov 3, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither of us will be alive for me to eat my words so I'm not to worried.
We'll see, I remember when Florida State went 0-11 (pre Bowden) and Florida was put on probation for NCAA rules violations (pre Spurrier).
Both of those programs have come along way in the last 25 years. All UCF needs is to get into a BCS conference (easier to recruit quality athletes), and replace O'Leary with a better headcoach after he retires. Maybe you plan on "leaving this world" soon but I will be around when we are equal to the big name schools.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Tulsa NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doctor: Unclear if Tulane player is paralyzed (Sep '12) Oct '12 Oscar 4
News Devon Walker Injury: Tulane Safety Taken Off Fi... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Anonymous 1
News Tulsa QB Kinne leaves game with injury (Sep '11) Sep '11 Jack 2
News Report: Tulsa suspends WR Johnson (Aug '11) Aug '11 Leroy Dobson 2
News Tulsa Hurricane advances to face UTEP (Mar '11) Mar '11 oh yeah 2
News UTEP's Randy Culpepper, Julyan Stone get All-Co... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Bill 7
News UTEP basketball notes: Perez, Bohannon expected... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Jake 3
More from around the web