Tulsa's firepower too much for UCF

Tulsa's firepower too much for UCF

There are 79 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Oct 26, 2008, titled Tulsa's firepower too much for UCF. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

David Johnson threw for 264 yards and a touchdown, ran for two more scores and brought No.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Drew

Orlando, FL

#1 Oct 26, 2008
For real. Fire O'Leary. He hasn't done a thing at UCF.

2004: 0-11
2005: Weak Conf USA: Lost in Conf. Champ. Lost Hawaii Bowl
2006: Horrible
2007: Kevin Smith and Joe Burnett won a Conf. Championship. Lost Bowl.
2008: Horrible, No Offense... No Defense.

How much longer must we put up with this?

Since: Oct 07

Orlando, FL

#2 Oct 26, 2008
Seriously... we lost to Tulsa? Didn't we smash them last year? Fire O'Leary!
busted

Orlando, FL

#3 Oct 26, 2008
Disgrunteled UCF Fan wrote:
Seriously... we lost to Tulsa? Didn't we smash them last year? Fire O'Leary!
fire o'liar, fire ucf president john hitt and fire head of ucf security richard beary, brother of orange county sheriff kevin beary who will be going to prison for stealing money from the department of homeland security among countless other charges.
Reality Check

Lincoln, NE

#4 Oct 26, 2008
Oh how quite these UCF message boards have been this year. What??? No ridiculous chest thumping like last year. Like I said last year, UCF will have a good year in CUSA here and there, and pull off a couple of CUSA championships, which really won't mean anything anyway. And the chest thumpers will be out in mass, but then the next year they'll slip back into the CUSA abyss, and wait their turn to win CUSA despite falling in bowl games and against most BCS teams. It's okay guys...I won't say I told you so.
Reality

Daytona Beach, FL

#5 Oct 27, 2008
Come on. What do you expect. Another 49-19 national television embarrassment

George O'Loser started a quarterback who hasn't consistently driven the offense into the end zone in over a month. When will he figure out that Calabrese is not the man. He has no leadership skills and it shows on the field. The most impressive statistic that ESPN showed last night was his completion percentage. 39.8% Are you kidding me. He completes less than 4 out of 10 passes thrown.

Tribble needs to take action. Going from C-USA Champs to Chumps is not acceptable while other programs in the state are moving forward and in the right direction. Come on George, get you head in the game and start earning you $1.5 million per year.
Reality Checks Dilemma

Richardson, TX

#6 Oct 27, 2008
I'm depressed. Either I've (a) got no other team to root for,(b) my team is awful, too, but I can't let you know what my team is (c) got rejected by too many girls from your school, and now seek revenge on message boards,(d) have been banned and exiled from Florida Gators games (I've been a UF fan since birth) because I'm a self-righteous moron...oh wait, they love that at UF,(e)got a truly mean spirit, and the only thing in the world that makes me happy is going onto message boards and kicking fans when they're down. I like to say things such as "told you so," even though I never told anyone anything close to what's happened, but man, it makes me feel amazing.
Oh, Reality Check! It wouldn't be football season without your depressed, agitated, mean-spirited posts! I'd like to meet you. Let's go out for coffee. My treat. Maybe I can talk you off your ledge.
whatever

United States

#7 Oct 27, 2008
Well, as far as the game goes, the first half was about as solid as we have played all year. Unfortunately, we had to come out for the second half. I'm pleased at the progress the offense made, except that when we are blitzed (as we knew we would be once falling behind in the score), we CANNOT pick up the rushers OR hit the hot route receivers. Are they not there? Why are we taking 9 sacks in a game?
Old Knight

Bedford, TX

#8 Oct 27, 2008
The UCF play calling is absurd! The FIRST one to go should be Tim Salem - he is as creative as my little toe nail--and I could mention several others that should be packing as well. Why O'Leary continues to play Calabrese is beyond me- he may develop but he is not ready now to play with the big boys! For the past two games O'Leary FINALLY puts Greco in AFTER the game is lost - what does he expect - a miracle???? Just makes Greco look bad - if I were MG I would take a hike and tell O'Leary to go home with the one he came with!!!! Besides all this - 20 and 15 yard punts don't work at college level - maybe in Pop Warner football???????? I feel bad for our team - especially Joe Burnett - they work hard and deserve better leadership/coaching than this!
Reality Check

Lincoln, NE

#9 Oct 27, 2008
whatever wrote:
Well, as far as the game goes, the first half was about as solid as we have played all year. Unfortunately, we had to come out for the second half. I'm pleased at the progress the offense made, except that when we are blitzed (as we knew we would be once falling behind in the score), we CANNOT pick up the rushers OR hit the hot route receivers. Are they not there? Why are we taking 9 sacks in a game?
Many questions. Here's your answer: UCF is a second-tier program in a bottom feeder conference that would be better suited to D1-AA. CUSA is good for paycheck/warmup games to fill real college football team's schedules, and get ready for the season. Every now and then a decent player will come to UCF and spark the team for a season or two mostly against CUSA teams, and get the fans excited, but in the end UCF will NOT compete with BCS teams. So despite all the "hoopla" last season, UCF is still 2-40 against BCS teams, has never beaten a ranked, has never won a bowl game and has never been ranked. UCF is basically fodder for the big boys. The good thing about it is if you don't have a local high school team to root for you can become a UCF fan.
Enough

Kissimmee, FL

#11 Oct 27, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Many questions. Here's your answer: UCF is a second-tier program in a bottom feeder conference that would be better suited to D1-AA. CUSA is good for paycheck/warmup games to fill real college football team's schedules, and get ready for the season. Every now and then a decent player will come to UCF and spark the team for a season or two mostly against CUSA teams, and get the fans excited, but in the end UCF will NOT compete with BCS teams. So despite all the "hoopla" last season, UCF is still 2-40 against BCS teams, has never beaten a ranked, has never won a bowl game and has never been ranked. UCF is basically fodder for the big boys. The good thing about it is if you don't have a local high school team to root for you can become a UCF fan.
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, you have REPEATED this garbage over and over again. Please stop, you sound like an obsessed fool.
cdn

Gainesville, FL

#12 Oct 27, 2008
Yeah, that was quite depressing to watch last night. O'Leary seemed apathetic on the sideline every time ESPN showed him. He's definitely not earning that ridiculous paycheck Tribble is writing. O'Leary has had the team for four years now, and UCF has little to show for. A meager C-USA title is meaningless without beating BCS teams. As an a UCF grad, it's just sad to watch..
ESEAU

New Bern, NC

#13 Oct 27, 2008
Great 1st Half UCF, Tulsa unfortunately has somewhat of an "Offense" I was hoping you guys could have pulled that one out! I was more blown away watching all the empty seats in the stadium...what fans they have in Tulsa!! Can't wait till next Sunday when we play you guys!! ECU/UCF!! true C-USA teams!!
shine

United States

#14 Oct 27, 2008
This team will be back on top next year. Consider it a rebuilding season.
Drew

Lincolnshire, IL

#15 Oct 27, 2008
This was one game that fit into O'Leary/Salem's horrible game plan. We needed to control the clock, we needed to run up the middle. Thats why we won the first half. I think the O-Line is a lot worse than anyone thought this year.

Harvey did a great job running. He picked up the blitz well too. If you watch the film, the linemen blew blocking on the linebackers from the middle. A few sacks came off the edge but there was no help from the TE or T.

So Grecco is horrible. He is worse than Calabrese. Watch the last series with him in. Calabrese is the way to go right now. He looked like a good QB in the first half... every QB looks bad when they are sacked 7 times in a half.
UCF94

Tucson, AZ

#16 Oct 27, 2008
Chances are O'Leary, Tribble, Hitt, don't read these post. However, their email addresses are public and are listed on the UCF website. I've written them several times including one to Hitt on how much it cost to live out of town and be a season ticket holder and come to games to watch crap. Hitt's secretary wrote me back on one then Hitt wrote me back a short time later. We know we suck and where the problem lies: O'Leary, Tribble, etc., I suggest instead of voicing your frustration on the slantinel's web site, everyone start flooding their email. Start the campaign today, I've already got the ball rolling.
Brolando

Orlando, FL

#17 Oct 27, 2008
UCF did show some offensive life in the first half, but they started with the ball 3 straight times inside the Tulsa 40, and came away with 3 points. That is unacceptable. The offensive line cannot stop anyone, and the QB is holding the ball too long. The QB is also locking in on one receiver and leaving perhaps the best athlete on the offense, Kamar Aiken, out of the game. Plus again still, no running game to speak of, although Brynn Harvey did have a few nice runs. How can this offensive team be in week 8, and they still look like they are playing spring football? Watching them play, you can see how unsure they are of themselves. Luckily, believe it or not, UCF still has a chance to win the CUSA East Division, but with this offense, it seems extremely unlikely. This looks like another building year.
Coach Hater

Austin, TX

#18 Oct 27, 2008
whatever wrote:
Pleased at the progress? Nine sacks in progress??? What kind of talk is that. Calabrese finally manages to score a touchdown and that's progress! What a load of rotten mellosn.

Quit waiting for that loser and the fool of a coach that thinks he can play to give you a game worth watching! Fire the lying buttocks O'Leary and let's get ourselves a real coach. Break his stinking ocntract and dare him to sue us. We gave his lying butt a chance to redeem himself and he's just a miserable, stubborn failure that trains his players until they die.
No Whining

Orlando, FL

#19 Oct 27, 2008
UCF94 wrote:
Chances are O'Leary, Tribble, Hitt, don't read these post. However, their email addresses are public and are listed on the UCF website. I've written them several times including one to Hitt on how much it cost to live out of town and be a season ticket holder and come to games to watch crap. Hitt's secretary wrote me back on one then Hitt wrote me back a short time later. We know we suck and where the problem lies: O'Leary, Tribble, etc., I suggest instead of voicing your frustration on the slantinel's web site, everyone start flooding their email. Start the campaign today, I've already got the ball rolling.
Well, if you have it all figured out, please share with the group how you'd go about fixing the issues. Keep in mind that UCF does not recruit the top athletes in the state...those players go to Florida State, Florida, Miami, and other top BCS Conference schools across the country. So, saying get better players is not exactly a realistic goal. Also, O'Leary signed a 10 year contract at $1 million per season. That will handcuff UCF for years to come. Was it a knee-jerk reaction to reward O'Leary with such a contract after a flash in the pan team won Conference USA? It appears so. Who gave him that contract? Was it Tribble, or Orsini (who left a short time later for SMU)? Are you blaming Tribble, even though he was handcuffed by the prevous athletic director?

To get better, you need to recruit better. You need to recruit in order to have depth. Depth is what keeps you from having to rebuild every other year.
Coach Hater

Austin, TX

#20 Oct 27, 2008
UCF94 wrote:
Here, here! Let's send Hitt and Tribble fire O'Leary email.

A guy asked me in Publix yesterday if I thought UCF would play well on Sunday nite. I told him "No, it'll just be another UCF NTE (Nationally Televised Embarassemnt). Boy, was I right!

I wonder what inspiring words O'Liar had for his team at half time? When they cam back out, they played like a s eix year old after someone had beaten their puppy to death in front of them. O'Leary's scum, so let's get those emails pouring in to Hitt office.
Coach Hater

Austin, TX

#21 Oct 27, 2008
ESEAU wrote:
Great 1st Half UCF, Tulsa unfortunately has somewhat of an "Offense" I was hoping you guys could have pulled that one out! I was more blown away watching all the empty seats in the stadium...what fans they have in Tulsa!! Can't wait till next Sunday when we play you guys!! ECU/UCF!! true C-USA teams!!
I'm not looking forward to UCF playing *anyone* this season. We were lucking to beat SC State and SMU. Now the real shameful playing begins.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Tulsa NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doctor: Unclear if Tulane player is paralyzed (Sep '12) Oct '12 Oscar 4
News Devon Walker Injury: Tulane Safety Taken Off Fi... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Anonymous 1
News Tulsa QB Kinne leaves game with injury (Sep '11) Sep '11 Jack 2
News Report: Tulsa suspends WR Johnson (Aug '11) Aug '11 Leroy Dobson 2
News Tulsa Hurricane advances to face UTEP (Mar '11) Mar '11 oh yeah 2
News UTEP's Randy Culpepper, Julyan Stone get All-Co... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Bill 7
News UTEP basketball notes: Perez, Bohannon expected... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Jake 3
More from around the web