Don't be the Drunken Knights

Don't be the Drunken Knights

There are 43 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Nov 10, 2007, titled Don't be the Drunken Knights. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

More than a few football fans aren't painting a pretty picture of Game Day at the University of Central Florida.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
George Fibber OLeary

Orlando, FL

#1 Nov 10, 2007
Why doesn't that surprise me.
Gator-man

Orlando, FL

#2 Nov 10, 2007
UCF stinks. The fans need to get drunk to enjoy the crappy games in their new high school stadium. Bleacher seats? My god.
Jau

Oviedo, FL

#3 Nov 10, 2007
This piece was written with an agenda. The incidents at UCF football games are few and far between. There are no more or no less incidents at UCF games than any other college football game where students are drinking more than they should.

I love the last line "you want them rooting for the Knights"... Obviously the Sentinel does not.
Jau

Oviedo, FL

#4 Nov 10, 2007
Gator-man wrote:
UCF stinks. The fans need to get drunk to enjoy the crappy games in their new high school stadium. Bleacher seats? My god.
Nope, UCF sells out because it's a great college football atmosphere, on par with any college in the country according to many recruits and their parents who are making the rounds. Obviously, we're not bringing 80,000 fans a week, but we're selling out 45,000 consistently, and tailgate with the best of them.

My feeling is you're too poor to have ever been to a football game, UF or UCF, so you have not frame of reference and no room to spout off garbage.
Knights Fan

Lake Mary, FL

#5 Nov 10, 2007
Whether or not the Sentinel has an agenda, the least they could do is publish a decent editorial. Very weak and no real examples of this so called Drunken Knights. Whoever you are that wrote this piece do us a favor and actually atend a game before you make your assumptions.
Jason

Orlando, FL

#6 Nov 10, 2007
At least it is a full bleacher seat. My last seat at UF was the last one up against the wall and it was cut in half.

Gator fans calling out Knights for drunken behavior is laughable. It is comparable to Paris calling Brittney a slut. This editorial is painting with way too broad a brush. I've had Bucs fans try to light my clothing on fire. I've had Bulls fans piss on my car and throw beer at me. This behavior happens all over Florida and elsewhere and it represents less than 1% of the fans attending the games.
josh

Maitland, FL

#7 Nov 10, 2007
Where is the evidence of any of this? where are there Tulsa and Marshall fans complaining? I realize that there were problems alleged during the Texas game, but there have been virtually no complaints from visiting fans since then.

This piece has no more value than the checkout tabloids. Embarrassing to the Sentinel and insulting to the general public.
Joseph

Lithia, FL

#8 Nov 10, 2007
Every school has a few bad apples. UF has a lot more bad apples then UCF when it comes to drunks on campus during game day. The Gaytor Slantinel strikes again. I guess you did not see the You Tube Video up at Penn St. Frat boys up at PSU throwing beer on Ohio St fans. It happens at a lot of schools yet this piece of crap paper is calling UCF out.
Black Pot meet Kettle
Joseph

Lithia, FL

#9 Nov 10, 2007
The person that wrote this lame article is a jagoff
Oh Please

Polk City, FL

#10 Nov 10, 2007
Step off your high horse. I have been to every home game this season with my wife and 2 small children and have seen nothing of the sort. The UCF campus on gameday is a very family friendly environment. I have had guests who are alumni of other schools, Texas, UF, Souther. Miss and they have all raved about the game day experience. I'm not sure what your agenda is, but I highly doubt you have even been to a UCF game. What a great job by Dr. Hitt and the UCF Administration.
Dave

Atlanta, GA

#11 Nov 10, 2007
Boy, somebody was hard up for a topic to write about. People being drunk and acting obnoxiously at a college football game? Next you'll tell me that the world is round and that man landed on the moon.

This stuff happens at every school, and it is no more prevalent at UCF than every school in America.

This was just silly...but I guess you accomplished your goal of getting attention by angering UCF fans, yet again.

When is this piece of trash publication going to start supporting the hometown team? I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future a contingent of UCF fans do everything in their power to sabotage the Sentinel's newspaper sales and advertising clients.
Darren

Lakeland, FL

#12 Nov 10, 2007
This is incredible. I just read several posts on rivals.com of how Tulsa and Marshall fans were impressed with the UCF hospitality. The fact that fans would take time to write something and post it on the internet about how welcoming UCF fans were says a lot. This commentary is garbage, lists no facts, and was a complete waste of ink.
MIKnight

Merritt Island, FL

#13 Nov 10, 2007
Being someone who tailgates in the area you are likely targeting in your editorial and also someone who has been to plenty of away games following UCF football, I have not witnessed anything different than what I have witnessed in a student tailgating section of any other university, major or otherwise. My first exposure to drunken students acting ugly was in the mid-80s at UF when they played very outmanned SW La and the few visiting fans that arrived were treated to obscenities and rudeness by drunk students. I haven't seen anyone treated as bad as that this season on-campus (unless, you count "booing" as being obnoxious). Every school has drunk and ugly fans. It's a fact of life. Why, then are you singling out UCF?
e-knight

Plano, TX

#14 Nov 10, 2007
Ho hum....another feeble attempt to stir the kettle and create click-throughs. Note: you are doing a lousy job of endearing a large segment of possible local readers.
I do not deny that a few isolated incidents have occurred but the more interesting and usually unreported story is that many students and alums abandon their festivities to help prevent these behaviors and actually welcome visiting fans.
NotDrunk

Melbourne, FL

#15 Nov 10, 2007
Just because the stadium is loud doesn't mean we are all drunk. UCF is probably more behaved than 70% of all college stadiums. Why are you spreading hate?
Orlando Native

Winter Park, FL

#16 Nov 10, 2007
Will you write an editorial tomorrow ripping white people because a handful of idiots are racist?

Where's the courageous and scathing editorial regarding MBI's vendetta vs. the Orlando Weekly?

Going after a handful of UCF fans instead? Par for the course
Jason

Orlando, FL

#17 Nov 10, 2007
Here is some feedback from a Marshall fan after last weekend:
I just got back and I wanted to come on here and let you guys know that I was thoroughly impressed on Saturday. You guys completely outclassed us both on the field and in the stands. I have been to many top notch football stadiums in my lifetime (Notre Dame, USC, Tennessee, Michigan, etc.). However, without a doubt, you guys equal most of them in excitement and love for your team. The facilities are top notch, and the people were very nice. I wore Marshall gear, and walked through the tailgating areas.***** Not once did anyone say anything to me that was classless. As a matter of fact, many people approached me to welcome me to your campus. I just wanted to say thank you very much for the hospitality ****** and hopefully we can help you out this week by beating ECU.
Diego

Orlando, FL

#18 Nov 10, 2007
It is crap like this that I save to bring up when the Slantinel calls and begs for my subscription. I don't even see the stupid ads on this page thanks to Firefox :)
Mike

Saint Albans, NY

#19 Nov 10, 2007
Remember who your readers are, Sentinel. There are thousands and thousands of people who favor UCF, and those people are readers. Why would you segment a whole population of your circulation? Students get the Sentinel free on campus! It's quite pathetic that you would set out to defame someone in your own backyard.
YouSeeEffer

Orlando, FL

#20 Nov 10, 2007
Yep, this is definitely the most biased, inaccurate piece of crap I've ever read. I doubt that whoever wrote it has even been tailgating this year. I've been to every home game and tailgated each time and I have never witnessed anything of the sort.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Tulsa NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doctor: Unclear if Tulane player is paralyzed (Sep '12) Oct '12 Oscar 4
News Devon Walker Injury: Tulane Safety Taken Off Fi... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Anonymous 1
News Tulsa QB Kinne leaves game with injury (Sep '11) Sep '11 Jack 2
News Report: Tulsa suspends WR Johnson (Aug '11) Aug '11 Leroy Dobson 2
News Tulsa Hurricane advances to face UTEP (Mar '11) Mar '11 oh yeah 2
News UTEP's Randy Culpepper, Julyan Stone get All-Co... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Bill 7
News UTEP basketball notes: Perez, Bohannon expected... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Jake 3
More from around the web