Wave flush Miners: Underdog Tulane fi...

Wave flush Miners: Underdog Tulane finds holes in defense

There are 42 comments on the El Paso Times story from Oct 23, 2010, titled Wave flush Miners: Underdog Tulane finds holes in defense. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

UTEP linebacker Greg Watkins, right, catches Tulane quarterback Ryan Grffin behind the line of scrimmage for a sack late in the first half Saturday at the Sun Bowl.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Please

El Paso, TX

#1 Oct 24, 2010
Coach Price: Time for you to step down. Not counting the two first successful seasons UTEP/you had here, with recruits from your previous coach. What has the UTEP football program accomplish? Sick!!
Ex fan

El Paso, TX

#2 Oct 24, 2010
I think the low turnout says it all. Another losing season for UTEP, high ticket and snack bar prices, a questionable coaching staff and horrible parking facilities make watching football at home much more appealing than struggling at UTEP. Also, I get to save 100 bucks by not having my car towed while I'm inside the Sun Bowl by the tow away truck sharks lurking outside. They should change the name from the Sun Bowl to The Tow-Away Bowl, since about 60 cars get towed every game. There is no parking for us ticket-holders so where are we supposed to park to watch the game? On the mountain? Obviously UTEP doesn't care about its fans, so why should us fans care about UTEP? I'm an ex-fan, by the way.
ryan

El Paso, TX

#3 Oct 24, 2010
everyone saw the holes from 'MEH-HI-COH' utep sucks, deal with it.
matadormike

United States

#4 Oct 24, 2010
Here we go again with Mike Price and not being able to
close the door on a season Every year UTEP just needs that 1 more game to make a bowl, or 1 more game to win the Conference and can not get it done,how many more years do UTEP fans have to watch this? What do we have for a QB another Tony Romo that doesnt remember what team he plays for when he is throwing his interceptions, we have no back up, GOOD teams find a way to beat the bad defense and it is the same story every year Time for Mike Price to go and for the UTEP AD to find us a coach that can get the job done
GAS

Morenci, AZ

#5 Oct 24, 2010
Lets face it there record is very decieving. If they were as good as their record. They would beat teams like UAB and Tulane. Those are teams a good coached team should beat. No more excuses! We should bring mens baseball, we would fare way better at that!
Roadrunner

Las Cruces, NM

#6 Oct 24, 2010
Let's leave Coach Price alone. Remember, we beat UNM and NMSU this year!
vince

United States

#7 Oct 24, 2010
i'm a tulane fan that was at the game and i can tell you we will beat smu at home next week and get to 4 and 4. see you in a bowl game. don't be so negative about your team !
vince

United States

#8 Oct 24, 2010
illegal is illegal. its obvious that americans have made this a big issue and we will stop those that come here illegally.
Chico

Dallas, TX

#9 Oct 24, 2010
Price you are wortless!
Vittatoe you are pathetic!
Adams learn how to catch!
5-7 and another losing year.
suerte

United States

#10 Oct 24, 2010
Its time for a change look.....look for an assistant thats looking for a head coaching job....price won with somebody elses recruits...look up to the stands natalicio.....no one is going to the games.....better make a change or else bring baseball or soccer.....with what the team has now why don't you get local talent and give them a chance!!!!!!!!!!
MountainMan

Mayhill, NM

#11 Oct 24, 2010
It's time for Price to go!
He has failed to take UTEP football to the next level!
Hard To Be Optimistic

El Paso, TX

#12 Oct 24, 2010
In 5 losing seasons including this one(we will be 5-7)Price cant get over the hump and win the big one. Listen to him talk. He has no toughness in him anymore. He cant beat teams also lacking in blue chippers that lose by 25 on a regular basis. Price please step down and help us find a coach with a killer instinct. NO offense but fans want to see progress. If u cant figure out how to progress in 5 years let someone else take over who has more elbow grease who knows how to win on a regular basis and at least get us bowl eligible. It is going to be very difficult to win any of the last 4 games. If you lose to Marshall dont expect more than 18000 IN ATTENDANCE against SMU. VERY SAD. STOP TALKING TO THE MEDIA AND START PRODUCING. WE ARE TIRED OF THE BS.
DOH

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Oct 24, 2010
UTEP under mike price has won more game per season than any of his predecessors, so he has been successful in that sense. but utep fans want and deserve more.
Hard To Be Optimistic

El Paso, TX

#14 Oct 24, 2010
Are there any reasons to keep price here after consistently tumbling to loses the last half of the season for each of the last 5 years? I think there is a big problem with conditioning. Price is too soft on his players. He has not prepared them to win through a 12 game season. Utep goes down in flames every season. Comments welcome.
Cajun Bob

United States

#15 Oct 24, 2010
Everything about El Paso is mediocre, why complain about this matter now? Very simply - clean house in the program frm Stull to the trainers, or shut up. I mean everyone that has shared Price's vibe.

Also, the next coach needs to win the recruiting war within a 100 mile radius of El Paso, before broadening his search. So called 2 & 3 star players should be recruited in mass, then coaches should earn their money by developing those players. Has UTEP ever landed "4 or 5 star" talent?

I reside in Alabama, and will tell you to a man, D-2 schools like N. Alabama and Jacksonville State Univ. are on par with UTEP in recruiting. Heck, Terry Bowdan coaches N. Alabama, has a smaller budget, but plays D-1 colleges tougher than UTEP; UTEP can get a guy like Bowden, or S. Florida's former coach if the fan base feels a proven guy should replace Stull and Price.

The next coach needs to ask his staff - with the the marginal results their program has realized, what good can come from a player from California, or a distance exceeding 500 miles from El Paso?

Why would UTEP recruit a player that isn't on the radar of a school with comparable resources (Fresno, SMU, Baylor, San Jose, etc.)?
AndressEagleDodd y

United States

#16 Oct 24, 2010
matadormike wrote:
Here we go again with Mike Price and not being able to
close the door on a season Every year UTEP just needs that 1 more game to make a bowl, or 1 more game to win the Conference and can not get it done,how many more years do UTEP fans have to watch this? What do we have for a QB another Tony Romo that doesnt remember what team he plays for when he is throwing his interceptions, we have no back up, GOOD teams find a way to beat the bad defense and it is the same story every year Time for Mike Price to go and for the UTEP AD to find us a coach that can get the job done
With the poor defenses in CUSA, a run oriented coach should be considered. I mean 3 yards and a cloud of dust, and less than 10 to 15 passes per game. Disciplined football is prudent when the opponent will be favored in 80% of the time. Use the Navy or Air Force module.
Mike

El Paso, TX

#17 Oct 24, 2010
The only bowling the Miners are going to this year is to Oasis Bowling lanes if they cant get that 6th win...
AndressEagleDodd y

United States

#18 Oct 24, 2010
Cajun Bob wrote:
Everything about El Paso is mediocre, why complain about this matter now? Very simply - clean house in the program frm Stull to the trainers, or shut up. I mean everyone that has shared Price's vibe.
Also, the next coach needs to win the recruiting war within a 100 mile radius of El Paso, before broadening his search. So called 2 & 3 star players should be recruited in mass, then coaches should earn their money by developing those players. Has UTEP ever landed "4 or 5 star" talent?
I reside in Alabama, and will tell you to a man, D-2 schools like N. Alabama and Jacksonville State Univ. are on par with UTEP in recruiting. Heck, Terry Bowdan coaches N. Alabama, has a smaller budget, but plays D-1 colleges tougher than UTEP; UTEP can get a guy like Bowden, or S. Florida's former coach if the fan base feels a proven guy should replace Stull and Price.
The next coach needs to ask his staff - with the the marginal results their program has realized, what good can come from a player from California, or a distance exceeding 500 miles from El Paso?
Why would UTEP recruit a player that isn't on the radar of a school with comparable resources (Fresno, SMU, Baylor, San Jose, etc.)?
Further to my comment above and your statement, a run oriented scheme would be extremely conducive to UTEPs recruiting wows. Well stated!
Several run oriented teams put pts.on the board, are exciting to watch, and WIN. 2 & 3 star players with academic prowess develop great team chemistry in that kind of system & the wildcat. I know UTEP can pay as well as Air Force & Navy.
Bubba

El Paso, TX

#19 Oct 24, 2010
Why does everyone think 6 wins gets UTEP into a bowl? It only makes them "Bowl Eligable". What bowl would want them at 6-6? They would be heading into that bowl with a record of 1-5 over the last 6 games. They will have to win 7 just to be considered and those wins will have to be in 2 of their last 3. What 2 will they win SMU? Arkansas? Tulsa? I see 0-3 in those games.
ohnoyoudidnt

El Paso, TX

#21 Oct 24, 2010
Ex fan wrote:
I think the low turnout says it all. Another losing season for UTEP, high ticket and snack bar prices, a questionable coaching staff and horrible parking facilities make watching football at home much more appealing than struggling at UTEP. Also, I get to save 100 bucks by not having my car towed while I'm inside the Sun Bowl by the tow away truck sharks lurking outside. They should change the name from the Sun Bowl to The Tow-Away Bowl, since about 60 cars get towed every game. There is no parking for us ticket-holders so where are we supposed to park to watch the game? On the mountain? Obviously UTEP doesn't care about its fans, so why should us fans care about UTEP? I'm an ex-fan, by the way.
good point, well said

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tulane Green Wave NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doctor: Unclear if Tulane player is paralyzed (Sep '12) Oct '12 Oscar 4
News Tulane and Ole Miss to honor Devon Walker, and ... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Tulane lover 1
News Devon Walker Injury: Tulane Safety Taken Off Fi... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Anonymous 1
News Link Gumbo 8/24/12 (Aug '12) Aug '12 joel 1
News Hawaii News, Honolulu, Honolulu News, Sports, E... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Jim Little 1
News Late TD pass helps Tulane beat UTEP 34-24 (Oct '10) Oct '10 jUTEP 8
News Tulane coach has high praise for Vittatoe (Oct '10) Oct '10 waveroller 2
More from around the web