College sports need more women coaches -- Social Issues

Full story: The Morning Call

CHARLES L. KENNEDY ''In only two conferences, the Big Ten and the Mid-American Conference , women held over 50 percent of the head coaching positions for women's sports.'' In 2008 it is guaranteed by U.S. law ...
Comments
21 - 24 of 24 Comments Last updated Jul 18, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
realist

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2008

Scooplove wrote:
My understanding of Title IX is that the opportunities for women must be commensurate with that of the student body at large. Off the top of my head, American University has two more women's sports then men's. The heck of it is---not a single school has been sanctioned or disciplined because of Title IX.
Men's Gymnastics and wrestling could've been saved...cut the football scholarship limit to 60 players. For some reason that point of view is blasphemous. I'm a HUGE college football fan but I can see the merit in doing that.
there are no atheletic scholarships at D3 schools. all of these rules gets enacted based off of whats going on at d 1 schools, and then all of the other schools have to follow suit. the same plans dont work for every school because of size and money. its needs to be more level specific.
A Female Coach

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

It's not women's sports that are taking opportunities away from you son - it college football that is taking the opportunities. Check out how many college football programs operate out of the "red" each year. It's about 3%! But most univeristies swear they have to have football. Football programs suck up the money at smaller colleges. Only a few shools like Miami, FSU, Tennessee, Notre Dame and other like programs actually make money but think of all the schools that have football programs. Male athletic directors blame cutting sports like wrestling and men's gymnastics on the fact that they have to fund women's sports, but in actuality it is becuase they want to fund their beloved football program which is a costly sport to support. So...check that out before you start blaming women and may your next born be a daddy's girl and your whole perspective will change.:)

“Have some balls: REGISTER”

Since: Jul 07

Bethlehem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

realist wrote:
<quoted text>
there are no atheletic scholarships at D3 schools. all of these rules gets enacted based off of whats going on at d 1 schools, and then all of the other schools have to follow suit. the same plans dont work for every school because of size and money. its needs to be more level specific.
There are plenty of "aid packages" at D3 schools that look a lot like scholarships to me...IE....Don't play the sport...Don't get the money.

“Have some balls: REGISTER”

Since: Jul 07

Bethlehem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

realist wrote:
<quoted text>
American is D1

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Tennessee Lady Volunteers Women's Basketball Discussions

Search the Tennessee Lady Volunteers Women's Basketball Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
warwick is a dyke coach (Jan '14) Jan '14 lesbo watch 1
roll pat roll (Apr '12) Apr '12 FROM TIDE UNIVERSITY 1
Holdsclaw battled depression whole career (Jul '07) Feb '12 Florence J 2
Tennessee's Summitt has early onset dementia (Aug '11) Aug '11 Guinness Drinker 1
Final Four tickets (Feb '11) Feb '11 ESGoodin 1
Would you like to see UConn lose this? (Jan '11) Jan '11 racercard 1
gaabrilaa_fofa @hotmail.com (Oct '10) Oct '10 gabriela de souza santiag 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••