Wolves select points guards Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn

Full story: TwinCities.com

Not only did the Timberwolves get Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio in tonight's NBA draft, they didn't even have to trade up in the first round to get him.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of50
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
TimberBums

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

Judged:

and the icing on the cake........

Leading up to the NBA Draft there was chatter of Ricky Rubio's preference to play in a big market. Well, Minnesota certainly isn't one, and according to the Spanish sports site Marca.com , the father of the new Timberwolves point guard says his son may remain in Spain for a few more years rather than play in the NBA. Talk about cold feet.

McFail lives on!!!!!
sorb

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

Judged:

thats it where done! bring back Mchale! SORB power!
Charles

Clear Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

Judged:

Curry seems highly overrated. There was some question as to whether he should even enter the draft this year. Why get a guy who can score 20 pts a game but can't guard anyone, can't rebound, and is an average passer (just like papa Dell and just like Randy Foye)? Rubio and Flynn on the offensive end together could create big matchup problems for other teams; the question to be asked is whether Rubio can guard the 2's on the defensive end.
QQ in St Paul

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

Judged:

Jonny Flynn was the best "value" for the #6 pick and IMO will be fun to watch. He will more than likely come off the bench behind Rubio and only play w/ him w/ Rubio on occasions for mismatch purposes despite Kahn saying they will play together blah blah.

Ellington is a wonderful SG and will make people forget about Curry in no time! What a steal at pick 28.

w/ pick 18 I really liked Ty Lawson as well but yeah, too many PGs. I dont understand the trade to a division rival tho. Im sure that was the best deal possible ... I guess. Lawson is dam good and that may come back to haunt us some. I was thinking the Wolves would take Mullins or Sam Young w/ that pick. Oh well lol what do I know ::gives himself a clueless rating:::P

Kudos Wolves for getting Rubio!! now get him over here! DONT trade him and bleep this up!
John

Joplin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

Judged:

Grant wrote:
Ill wait and see. Flynn is more of a shooting point guard. He averaged something like 18 points last season. Rubio is just a ball handler. I kind of want to see these 2 on the floor together. Break down the defense with Rubio and Flynn, its only going to help Big Al and Love.
It could blow up in their face, but who cares, Mchale would have kept Foye and drafted some chump with the 6th pick.
Flynn is a shooting guard? He is 5'11! You want to see the 2 of them on the floor together? Who is going to guard a 6'6 wing?

You have a rare opportunity where you have the 5th and 6th pick, and can possibly fill 2 spots in your line up and the wolves blew it.
Barney

Stillwater, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

When's the last time we had a legit PG on this team?? It was Steph - pre-umbilical reattachment days. We should have kept Lawson and make all 3 fight it out. Look at all the draft busts (for us and the rest of the NBA) over the years. 1 of the 3 has got to pan out. Hopefully, it won't be Lawson now since we shipped him out.
Vikefan 84

Thousand Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Out of all these dudes, the one player that will become an All-Star will be none other than Ty Lawson...and just like all the other former T-Wolve All-Stars, he was traded before the season started! What da F$#^!!
Tybalt

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

i don't like it. jonny flynn is almost certainly a bust.
Chesterfield

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

How can aanyone be high on Flynn? You know the difference between a good college player and a good pro...defense! Can someone explain to me how Flynn at maybe 5'11" will be able to guard a 1 or 2 given the height differential...and don't give me his vertical at the pro level they all have good vertical.
Honest Facts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

I am just too darn old to get excited over the T-Ws. I loved seeing Johnny play George and Vern.
fracas

Sioux Falls, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

A puzzling night indeed. I want to meet the guy who got these two picks right in HIS mock draft!!!! My initial thought was that we were drafting Flynn (whom Sacramento reportedly was strongly considering at 4)for Sacramento, and that we were going to trade, along with something like the 18, in exchange for Evans, who could fit in the backcourt with Rubio. After nothing happened, then I got to thinking that maybe we were drafting Rubio for someone else, and that Rubio would get traded for a player, picks, or some combination. I guess either could still happen.

I have a hard time visualizing a Flynn-Rubio backcourt in spite of what Kahn says.

I agree with the drafting a trade of Lawson. A pick next year, which is (I think) top 12 protected, will be more useful than anyone they were going to find at 18 this year. The wolves were prepared to exercise the pick if Johnson were available. I think this shows excellent discipline on the part of the wolves. If you don't like what is there, then "bank" the pick for the future. They must have not liked what they saw of Mullens. Reportedly he got dominated by Luke Nevill in workouts.

The Ellington pick was a no-brainer. A pure stroke, good size, from a winning program.

If I were grading this draft I would give an "incomplete" until I see if either of the PG's gets traded, and for what. I think everything that happened at 18, and beyond, makes perfect sense though.
POINTless

Sleepy Eye, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

Drafting two guys that play the same position with the 5th and 6th picks in the draft is inexcusable. Is Kahn going to rebuild this program one position at a time? The Wolves had a chance to get two guys that could contribute with those picks, and instead, they pick two guys that cannot be on the floor at the same time. I think both Rubio and Flynn could be good players... but not sharing time. I think the Wolves missed the boat in not selecting Curry. Great shooter with NBA bloodlines is what they needed. McHale has done some stupid things over the years, but he wouldn't have botched this up like Kahn did! Then again, Kahn was a ways down on Glen Taylor's list when he was looking to fill the President of Operations spot... it was pretty evident why on Thursday night. Maybe Kahn is a genius and has a trade lined up or.... maybe he's just an arrogant fool.
Mad Dog Gus

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Rubio will never play for the Wolves...he like cold weather and the 6.6 million buyout...what a wasted draft pick...

Flynn will be the point guard...and don't we all love a guy that refers to himself in the 3rd person...his interviews will be fun!

Congratulations to Kahn....it takes an attorney to have 4 selections in the first round and end up with one player....genius at work!
pltheboyd

Ely, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

two point gaurds? and to pass on curry?? more of the same from the disfunctional t-wolves front office. more target center logic
Jonny Flynn

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Mad Dog Gus wrote:
Rubio will never play for the Wolves...he like cold weather and the 6.6 million buyout...what a wasted draft pick...
You write worse than Jonny talks! Jonny likes cold weather...Jonny doesn't have a buyout....Jonny plays hard....Jonny can be the point that the Wolves need!
ltufvesson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Kahn is turning out to be a "con "man. Takes Rubio (when he knows he will never play for MN) to get a big splash then take a Flynn who he will pawn off on the fans in hopes that when combined with Ellington will make people forget Rubio. Then sounds like an idiot when he says he doesn't know about how the contract issues with Rubio work - yet you made him your first pick. Hopefully he finds a buyer and trades out of Rubio. But I am afraid he will end up like Bill Smith -gets taken in making a trade. At lesst it sounds like the Vikes are covering all the bases in going after Farve and will get it right. Sure better than Smith and Kahn.
Jaques Strap

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Kahn messed this one up because he wasn't prepared that Rubio would be there? Wow! This guy gets paid how much? He panicked and then selected another PG. I just can't believe we had four picks and we will end up with two playing for us next year. WAY TO REBUILD KAHN! JACK A S S.
Al Coholica

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

If they don't sign Rubio, I'll never watch another wolves game again. I just can't believe how inept this franchise is... even without McHale.
Fan of Common Sense

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

Too much love for Curry here - he's smaller than Rubio, and he's going to play the 2? Talk about defensive mismatches - many 2 guards in the league are 6'6"-6'7". I foresee many growing pains in his future. I'm happy with Wellington over him.

Rubio is the most talented PG in the draft - the only question is whether they can get the buyout done or not. If so, his pick was a complete no-brainer. Flynn is simply insurance in case they can't get it done.
Fan of Common Sense

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Chesterfield wrote:
How can aanyone be high on Flynn? You know the difference between a good college player and a good pro...defense! Can someone explain to me how Flynn at maybe 5'11" will be able to guard a 1 or 2 given the height differential...and don't give me his vertical at the pro level they all have good vertical.
I'd guess they'd put him on the 1 and Rubio on the 2. Rubio was the Spanish league defensive player of the year for 2009. He'll be able to hold his own on both ends of the court. Assuming we can get the buyout done, of course.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of50
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••