Wolves select points guards Ricky Rub...

Wolves select points guards Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn

There are 50 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 25, 2009, titled Wolves select points guards Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Not only did the Timberwolves get Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio in tonight's NBA draft, they didn't even have to trade up in the first round to get him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
nstpaul

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Jun 25, 2009
I don't think Rubio will be playing for Minnesota. He will either be traded or he will remain in Spain. I don't think he wants to play in Minnesota.
Joe Pesky

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Jun 25, 2009
It's almost like McHale never left. Hopefully they're planning on trading Rubio because selecting two point guards is ridiculous, but it is a classic T Wolves move. Rubio is a terrible shooter, couldn't shoot in Spain and he'll be eaten alive in the NBA. He shot 38% from the field in Spain, in SPAIN!
Daniel

Bloomington, IN

#3 Jun 25, 2009
You don't trade rubio, you trade flynn. Rubio's a point guard and he's a pass first point guard. He's got height and length. Flynn isn't even 6 feet tall! do you want another Sebastian Telfair?

I just don't get the Timberwolves thinking. Last year they needed anything BUT a PF so they draft Mayo (brilliant) and then trade him for Kevin Love (not so brilliant, though he's solid).

This year they need a pg and a sg who can fill it up. So with the top college scorer available (who is a shooting guard) they draft another pass first pg. Idiotic.

You do not trade Rubio. Trade Flynn
What

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jun 25, 2009
Watch Out..........we are picking another point guard!
Jason

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jun 25, 2009
Worst move ever (say that in comic book guy's voice). Why would you not take the best playmaker, arguably Rubio and pair him with the best shooter, Curry? That would be a backcourt. All you have now is a MESS!!!!
Just me

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Jun 25, 2009
Damn another pg I thought we let mchale go. What F is going on. This dude can't be just as stupid can he? What I'll answer that YES HE IS.
Weirdness

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Jun 25, 2009
Way to go glenn tayler, you find the one guy in the world who is dumber then mcchale and you hire him.
Jeffrey

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Jun 25, 2009
So disappointing they traded away their 18th pick. All you heard was how much better they were going to be with 4 first round picks. I knew they were lying and would trade 1 or 2 of their first round picks. Glen Taylor is cheap!
Cool Down

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jun 25, 2009
Mark my WORDS!

RUBIO is trade BAIT FOLKS.....Don't worry this is
the WORST draft class!

We get value for value.....that's all unless you
want tons of 2009 rookies playing together?
Joe Pesky

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jun 25, 2009
Then throw in the fact that Rubio is under contract in Spain this coming season, for 4 or 5 mil......

Plus........ he looks just like Frodo Beggins from Lord Of The Rings, give him a perm and he's ready to bare the ring, wheres Sam?

Could of had Curry or DeRozan and our PG and SG problems probably would have been solved, but of course the Wolves F it all up once again.
Lynch Klink - Now

Sacramento, CA

#11 Jun 25, 2009
Lets wait & see how Rubio & Flynn play before making any judgements. I agree Kahn goofed up not taking Curry 6th. Kahn better have a damn good explanation for taking Flynn over Curry.
Big D

Auburn, WA

#12 Jun 25, 2009
This GM is worse than McHale already. What in the world?? No way can Flynn and Rubio play at the same time. No way do we just give up Lawson for just another first-round pick...have Denver throw in some cash or Keiza or something...Ellington made sense. But picking Curry would have made a lot more sense then Flynn. Rubio at PG. Ellington and Curry at the wings. That would have been pure run-and-gun.

But instead Flynn and Calathes?? How is that better than Foye and Miller??
Chesterfield

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Jun 25, 2009
Does this guy love short little guys or what! At this rate they can truly be called t puppies. Hopefully they can trade some of these mutts to get some one who won't need a step stool to sit on the bench.
Big D

Auburn, WA

#14 Jun 25, 2009
How do you not take Curry?? Curry with Rubio would have been great.
blasphemer

United States

#15 Jun 25, 2009
Only an idiot would have passed on Curry to take Flynn.
Grant

Austin, MN

#16 Jun 25, 2009
Ill wait and see. Flynn is more of a shooting point guard. He averaged something like 18 points last season. Rubio is just a ball handler. I kind of want to see these 2 on the floor together. Break down the defense with Rubio and Flynn, its only going to help Big Al and Love.

It could blow up in their face, but who cares, Mchale would have kept Foye and drafted some chump with the 6th pick.
TimberBums

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Jun 25, 2009
Asked if he was excited to play for Minnesota, the 18-year-old said: "I'm excited to come to the NBA."

But unlike his fellow prospects, Rubio's draft status may have been complicated by his 4.75 million euro ($6.6 million) buyout he must pay in order to be set free by his current team, Spain's DKV Joventut.

"That's a big surprise for me they took another point guard," Rubio said. "But we are going to see what they want."

Courtesy of Reuters..........Different GM same lunacy.
Marcus Saracki

Maple Grove, MN

#18 Jun 25, 2009
Don't mind RR at all. But it didnt' make sense to draft another pure pt guard in the very next pick. UNLESS they have plans to trade one of them
Big D

Auburn, WA

#19 Jun 25, 2009
Our roster could of looked like this tonight:
PG Rubio
SG Curry
SF Love
PF Jefferson
C Mullins

Bench: Ellington, Patrick Mills, Danny Green, Brewer. Would have been the best young group in the NBA.
Mike

AOL

#20 Jun 25, 2009
you guys are sleeping hard on fylnn

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Syracuse University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News ACC Tournament 2014: Biggest Storylines to Watc... (Mar '14) Sep '14 Anonymous 2
News Carmelo Anthony, Wes Johnson, Dion Waiters faci... (Apr '14) Jul '14 engd 2
News Should Syracuse Look Into Niagara Transfer Anto... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Dway 1
News Syracuse basketball: Jim Boeheim tells ESPN Tyl... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Lenox Da Kid 2
News Burke Calls Shots With The Best (Feb '08) Apr '14 maryann 19
News The Coleman Correlation (Mar '14) Mar '14 bruno piretti 1
News Kevin Rivoli/Associated Press bc 62, syracuse 5... (Feb '14) Feb '14 bruno piretti 1
More from around the web