UTEP men's basketball: Floyd wary of Stephen F. Austin tonight

Full story: El Paso Times 16
UTEP coach Tim Floyd and his staff saw a figurative blinking light next to the name Stephen F. Austin on this year's schedule. Full Story
Steve El Paso-Rockport

Aransas Pass, TX

#1 Dec 20, 2010
The best team in the Southland Conference is almost always Sam Houston State who represented them in the NCAA's last year.

SHSU is in Huntsville and is always ranked among the top three criminal justice and perhaps rodeo programs in the country. They beat SFA both home and away if my memory serves me right.

SFA is always a contender however.
boulevard89

United States

#2 Dec 20, 2010
Coach Floyd have and demonstrate an equal amount of gumption and strong will to support you team just as Don Haskins did. We never saw him sweat or be weak minded do not be negative and wimpy! At least cautiously optimistic and if you do not believe in your team no one will.
que pasa

Dallas, TX

#3 Dec 20, 2010
Coach Floyd has a way to keep his MINERS focused on the very next game and not look 2 games down the line. and that makes Coach what he is a winner.. No doubt the TEAM needs a little more work . but a huge difference between last season and this season , the attention to detail that we lacked last season is a main focus point this season.. GO MINERS !!!
BryanW

El Paso, TX

#4 Dec 20, 2010
boulevard89 wrote:
Coach Floyd have and demonstrate an equal amount of gumption and strong will to support you team just as Don Haskins did. We never saw him sweat or be weak minded do not be negative and wimpy! At least cautiously optimistic and if you do not believe in your team no one will.
Dude, he is making sure his team stays focused on Stephen F. Austin. It is very common practice to talk up an opponent, and the Bear would have done the same. When he comes out and says that we are going to cruise past an opponent, then you should be worried. This also isn't a bad way to sell tickets to a game against an opponent without a recognizable name.
Mr Hate

Cedar Hill, TX

#5 Dec 20, 2010
I can't believe NMSU beat Pacific 69-64. Go Miners.

Since: Dec 10

EP

#6 Dec 20, 2010
This is my simple opinion but Coach Floyd seems to be pushing the D more than he does the O. Last year under Barbie :), the miners lost the games they did by focusing mainly on offense and lacking good D. Its nice to see a coach pushing this kids the way they need to be pushed. Good job Character you left at the wrong time lol.

Imagaine thou if he had stayed.
Jay

United States

#7 Dec 20, 2010
The Miners "big guys", still need to get aggressive especially Jon. He needs to go straight to the rim instead of putting the ball on the floor, he's to often being called for traveling. Rebound, rebound, rebound.....GO MINERS!!!
AggieFan

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Dec 20, 2010
Mr Hate wrote:
I can't believe NMSU beat Pacific 69-64. Go Miners.
Considering the Aggies have played the entire season thus far without their starting all-conference forward/rebounding machine, McKines, the last six and a half games without their starting center, and the last four games without their other starting forward, Gillenwater (who was averaging about 25 points per game), it's nothing short of amazing. Especially since they've started three freshman and one sophomore and a senior. The real test for them isn't Pacific...it's St. Mary's on Thursday.

As for the Miners, the Stephen F. Austin game is going to be a cakewalk. Expect the far end of the Miner bench to be playing early in the second half and the point differential to be 30+
OutInTheWestTexa s Town

El Paso, TX

#9 Dec 20, 2010
Keep up the Good Work and effort MINERS!!!
AKASH

El Paso, TX

#10 Dec 20, 2010
FirE FLOYD NOW!!!
Jake

El Paso, TX

#11 Dec 20, 2010
AKASH wrote:
FirE FLOYD NOW!!!
Go back to sleep troll
Quis draw

AOL

#12 Dec 20, 2010
Epic fail. Why would you schedule a double header with the women starting so late? No one will be at the game tonight, it's a work night. School is out, so start the ladies at five, let the fans who give a darn, watch the last fifteen minutes of that game then start the men's game. Stull, if you are trying to goof up, keep this up. Otherwise, get it together.
wevis1111

New Braunfels, TX

#13 Dec 20, 2010
AggieFan wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering the Aggies have played the entire season thus far without their starting all-conference forward/rebounding machine, McKines, the last six and a half games without their starting center, and the last four games without their other starting forward, Gillenwater (who was averaging about 25 points per game), it's nothing short of amazing. Especially since they've started three freshman and one sophomore and a senior. The real test for them isn't Pacific...it's St. Mary's on Thursday.
As for the Miners, the Stephen F. Austin game is going to be a cakewalk. Expect the far end of the Miner bench to be playing early in the second half and the point differential to be 30+
Yeah, there is no doubt the Aggies have been up against the wall this season. Circumstances have definitely minimized NMSU's success as they would any team with this amount of misfortune. Congrats on the Pacific game. I think that's a good win for you guys as you near WAC play. We both play pivotal games Thursday. Good luck against St. Marys as we might need a little of our own to beat BYU in Provo. Go Miners!
AggieFan

Las Cruces, NM

#14 Dec 20, 2010
wevis1111 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, there is no doubt the Aggies have been up against the wall this season. Circumstances have definitely minimized NMSU's success as they would any team with this amount of misfortune. Congrats on the Pacific game. I think that's a good win for you guys as you near WAC play. We both play pivotal games Thursday. Good luck against St. Marys as we might need a little of our own to beat BYU in Provo. Go Miners!
I've seen UTEP three different times this season and think the kind of ball they play makes them a tough matchup for almost any team they face, including Memphis. Am also thinking that the Miners will make a statement in Provo (which, personally, I will enjoy). It will be a nice Christmas gift.
JRMaynard3

El Paso, TX

#15 Dec 20, 2010
AggieFan wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen UTEP three different times this season and think the kind of ball they play makes them a tough matchup for almost any team they face, including Memphis. Am also thinking that the Miners will make a statement in Provo (which, personally, I will enjoy). It will be a nice Christmas gift.
I agree. BYU will overlook UTEP and that will be a huge mistake. Too bad the football team didn't.
Another Aggie Fan

Rio Rancho, NM

#17 Dec 20, 2010
JRMaynard3 wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. BYU will overlook UTEP and that will be a huge mistake. Too bad the football team didn't.
I'd give the Miners the edge at BYU, especially with the additional motivation from last weekend. Can't wait for it to happen.

Having watched the NMSU basketball team play injured and shorthanded in basketball, I completely understand how the Miner football team was hampered by injuries, especially to their QB, effectively making him just a throwing threat instead of a dual passer/runner where his strength is. Plus, I seem to remember the Miners lost their defensive anchor early in the season. Very hard for teams in this part of the southwest to overcome injuries to critical players.

Good luck to the Miners in Utah, not that I think they will need it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Halftime: UTEP 23 - Stephen F. Austin 17 (Dec '10) Dec '10 rgc 38
Jacks Head to NCAA Tournament (Mar '09) Mar '09 SU fan 1
Johnson leads Missouri women' s basketball to win (Jan '08) Jan '08 Alesia Poindexter 1
More from around the web