For this young Doris Day fan, it was ...

For this young Doris Day fan, it was 'Que Sera Sera'

There are 20 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Oct 25, 2007, titled For this young Doris Day fan, it was 'Que Sera Sera'. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Few people get to live out their dreams, but Mary Anne Barothy did, and she shares her story in the book "Day at a Time." BIRTHDAYS OF NOTE Bill Browne , president of RATIO Architects, turns 52 and former ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Karen

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Nov 26, 2007
It's too bad Mary Anne Barothy neglects to tell all the truth in her book. She writes no tribute to Doris Day, but more about a book of betrayal by Ms. Barothy to Ms. Day. How many people tape private conversations of someone in their own home? Ms. Barothy is no friend of Doris Day, no fan of Doris Day,and certainly no author! This book is nothing more than tabloid trash bound between two covers.
A TRUE friend of Miss Day

UK

#2 Nov 27, 2007
I'm sorry to see you support this book by one Ms. Barothy. I guess it could be because she is from Indianapolis! I'm sure if you had read the book and seen the despicable way Ms. Barothy has betrayed the trust Miss Day placed in her, you may have decided that it would not be acceptable to support this trash.
In essence and in my opinion, this places you among the tabloids such as 'The Enquirer' and 'Globe' instead of a reputable local paper I guess you would prefer to be known as.
It is sad that you felt it necessary to remove my previous post...what happenend to free speech?
carol

United States

#3 Nov 28, 2007
I bought "Day at a time" and loved it very much.This book was a tribute to doris as far as im concerned.I have been a doris day fan all of my life and love the wonderful lady as though she were a family member.This book made me love doris all the more.
If you love doris day,this book is a must read.You can tell the author,one ms. mary anne barothy loves the star very much.
A TRUE friend of Miss Day

UK

#4 Nov 29, 2007
What a sad person you are Carol. Have you stopped to think how Miss Day feels about this book? You have very little consideration for her feelings and if you cared for her as you say you do, you would denounce this book as a betrayal of Miss Day's privacy. There are things in that book that no one should know, except Miss Day herself. The fact that Ms Barothy had knowledge of these private and personal events in Miss Day's life and chose to reveal all, confirms she has broken the trust Miss Day placed in her. Friends who purport to love you don't do that. Ms. barothy is no friend of Miss Day, she hasn't had contact with her for nearly 30 years having been 'fired' from her job. Ask yourself why.
Yes, I love Doris Day but I don't love this book...what's more I doubt Ms. Barothy knows the meaning of the word 'love' and she certainly needs to consult her dictionary to define the words:
'SECRETARY''LOYALTY''TRUST' and
'CONFIDENTIALITY'
Sheila

Widnes, UK

#5 Nov 29, 2007
It is my opinion Carol,(strangely from Indianapolis) hhuumm wonder what that means..... obviously a "friend" of Mary Anne Barothy's. You ought to be very careful, being a "friend" it's difficult for you, you have lots of sympathy. Be very wary, especially Carol while divulging personal information to this woman.Your best bet Carol, is to frisk Mary Anne Baroty,(obviously do it as discretely as you can). At this point Carol, you are looking for hidden recording devices.(To be honest, I really, don't know how big these devises are these days), be very weary of divulging anything you do not want the rest of the world to know. Oh and finally, Carol don't forget to SMILE for the camera!
Karen

Las Cruces, NM

#6 Nov 30, 2007
Well Carol, you certainly amaze me. If a friend of mine divulged and fabricated events as Ms. Barothy put in her book regarding her "friend", Ms. Day, I think I would probably need to have my head examined to even think that person did such a thing out of "love" for me!
No true fan of Ms. Day would sit back and support a book so viscious as this one is. Mary Anne Barothy had the opportunity to do thie right thing here, but instead she chose to line her pockets by breaking trust and slanting the words of this book to suit her own needs. Funny, how she has deliberate memory loss in some areas of her book. That's okay, because apparently she feels taping private conversations of your employer is an acceptable thing to do! Contrary to what it says in the book, and contrary to what is advertised for this book, Mary Anne Barothy is no "friend", nor is she a "fan", of Ms. Day's. And above all, she is no author! However, I have heard the Enquirer is looking people who know how to write "trash"...perhaps, she can get work there!
Rita

AOL

#7 Dec 23, 2007
I have read “Day at a Time” by Mary Anne Barothy and found it to be an enjoyable read. This is a dream-come-true story about a young Midwestern girl who moves to California and becomes secretary to her favorite movie star, Doris Day, including 2 years of living in her home. Eventually, she took on other household duties and became a friend to Doris. She wore a lot of hats and some of her duties were not exactly glamorous, but as a devoted fan and loyal employee, she did them out of love. The reader gets a glimpse of life in Hollywood that people don’t normally see, and during an era that offered celebrities that someone could really look up to. Granted, there are instances in the book in which Doris did not react perfectly, but that just makes her more human in Ms. Barothy’s story. The author went out of her way to protect Doris on many occasions, acting as a concerned friend and not just an employee.

I find the negative comments about this book ridiculous: they just scream of jealousy and envy. Someone said she shouldn’t have written this book without Doris’s knowledge and support. Hate to break it to you, but a celebrity is a public entity and there are plenty of unauthorized biographies and other books that have been published about movie stars. From what I understand, Ms. Barothy DID try to contact Doris about the book, but Doris chose not to respond. If she had, perhaps she might have had some input, but by not contacting the author, she either wasn’t concerned about what would be written or trusted Ms. Barothy to do a book that would show her in a positive but human light. These other “fans” obviously are on these forums in an organized protest to discredit Ms. Barothy’s book. I think they are trying to preserve Doris’s squeaky clean image and can’t face the fact that Doris wasn’t always “on”, that she made some mistakes (who hasn’t?) and that Ms. Barothy’s is an honest portrait of the star. People who say this book is “trash” obviously haven’t read it – it’s a straightforward look at 4 years of Doris’s life presented by a woman who unabashedly was a great admirer and helpmate. I would recommend “Day at a Time” to anyone, so if you haven’t yet read it, please ignore the naysayers and their agenda.

Since: Dec 07

UK

#9 Dec 28, 2007
I have no personal interest in any of the 'posters' on this forum but I been following with great sadness the deplorable comments made by Rita aka Lauren Benjamin to some of the people wo have posted comments on this forum about Mary Anne Barothy's book, Day at a Time. Her/their? words make slanderous accusations about them.

Far from those who admire and respect Miss Day bringing shame to the word 'fan', I feel they are showing true and honest loyalty to the talent, personality and humanitarian tributes that is Miss Day. From what I read of those fans comments, they are very hurt to know that Doris is hurting and they feel helpless to do anything about it. They are airing their views and voicing an honest opinion in the need to protect the feelings of Miss Day. The opinions they offered are of the book and of Ms. Barothy's total disregard for Miss Day's privacy and feelings.

Rita aka Lauren Benjamin has turned this forum into a venue for a slanging match and this is not acceptable to Miss Day's true and loyal admirers...and shows no respect to Miss Day herself. The hate and contempt shown by Ms Benjamin is, it seems to me, a case of libel and defamation of character of these unsuspecting 'posters' and I suggest she should be very careful how she conducts herself.

Since: Dec 07

United States

#10 Dec 29, 2007
This is my second attempt to post a comment here -so if my previous attempt shows up, I'm sorry for the repetition.
I also am saddened by the vicious slant of some of these posts. It seems some have little to say so they resort to personal attacks. Name calling is so childish. This type of post detracts from the real subject - what is your opinion of this book.
It appears to me that some of these ladies have incriminating information about Miss Barothy that leads one to question the validity of this book.

I have no personal relationship with Miss Day. I am a fan and have read several books about her and her own book with A.E. Hotchner. I have also read Day At A Time. Miss Barothy's book seems to be a slightly trashy, tell all book - much like the numerous TV entertainment programs that harass stars to give their audience a thrill.
By her own admission, Miss Barothy stalked Miss Day for some time before she worked her way into a job and into the home of Miss Day. This in itself tells me something about her character. Fortunatly Miss Day realized that her trust had been misplaced.
I did purchase this book - but I'm truely sorry that I did.
Rita

AOL

#11 Jan 3, 2008
Debbie Makin wrote:
I have no personal interest in any of the 'posters' on this forum but I been following with great sadness the deplorable comments made by Rita aka Lauren Benjamin to some of the people wo have posted comments on this forum about Mary Anne Barothy's book, Day at a Time. Her/their? words make slanderous accusations about them.
Far from those who admire and respect Miss Day bringing shame to the word 'fan', I feel they are showing true and honest loyalty to the talent, personality and humanitarian tributes that is Miss Day. From what I read of those fans comments, they are very hurt to know that Doris is hurting and they feel helpless to do anything about it. They are airing their views and voicing an honest opinion in the need to protect the feelings of Miss Day. The opinions they offered are of the book and of Ms. Barothy's total disregard for Miss Day's privacy and feelings.
Rita aka Lauren Benjamin has turned this forum into a venue for a slanging match and this is not acceptable to Miss Day's true and loyal admirers...and shows no respect to Miss Day herself. The hate and contempt shown by Ms Benjamin is, it seems to me, a case of libel and defamation of character of these unsuspecting 'posters' and I suggest she should be very careful how she conducts herself.
I have no clue why you would think I am L. Benjamin -- I don't write anything like she does and have never represented myself as anyone other than who I am. I have never said anything "slanderous" or "libelous" about anyone posting in these forums. There is no evidence that Miss Day is "hurting" over this book, that is just an assumption by posters who want to discredit the book. Ms. Barothy contacted Miss Day about the book before it was written and got no reply, so apparently Miss Day wasn't too worried about its content. None of the "Daisy" posters have addressed this very telling fact. So, think what you want about me or who you think I am, I will defend Ms. Barothy's book as the memoir it is and not the tell-all you THINK it is, and which Miss Day chose not to comment on early in the procfess. I think that says a lot. As for "stalking" Miss Day -- all Ms. Barothy AND OTHER FANS INCLUDING POSTERS HERE did was hang out at the bakery where Miss Day showed up almost daily, sat at their table and talked to them. If she thought Ms. Barothy was a "stalker," why would she hire her for 4 years and have her live in her home? Apparently there was a lot of trust there. Now, all of you take your jealousy elsewhere and get a new Internet hobby.
Rita

AOL

#12 Jan 4, 2008
A TRUE friend of Miss Day wrote:
I'm sorry to see you support this book by one Ms. Barothy. I guess it could be because she is from Indianapolis! I'm sure if you had read the book and seen the despicable way Ms. Barothy has betrayed the trust Miss Day placed in her, you may have decided that it would not be acceptable to support this trash.
In essence and in my opinion, this places you among the tabloids such as 'The Enquirer' and 'Globe' instead of a reputable local paper I guess you would prefer to be known as.
It is sad that you felt it necessary to remove my previous post...what happenend to free speech?
Apparently you don't know how a newspaper works. This was not a review or opinion piece. It was merely a mention of a book by a local author. This doesn't not translate to "support." And if you had a post removed, it was done by online editors, not the columnist. You must have said something that goes against the standards of the paper's TalkBack forum.
Curious

AOL

#13 Jan 7, 2008
Karen wrote:
Well Carol, you certainly amaze me. If a friend of mine divulged and fabricated events as Ms. Barothy put in her book regarding her "friend", Ms. Day, I think I would probably need to have my head examined to even think that person did such a thing out of "love" for me!
No true fan of Ms. Day would sit back and support a book so viscious as this one is. Mary Anne Barothy had the opportunity to do thie right thing here, but instead she chose to line her pockets by breaking trust and slanting the words of this book to suit her own needs. Funny, how she has deliberate memory loss in some areas of her book. That's okay, because apparently she feels taping private conversations of your employer is an acceptable thing to do! Contrary to what it says in the book, and contrary to what is advertised for this book, Mary Anne Barothy is no "friend", nor is she a "fan", of Ms. Day's. And above all, she is no author! However, I have heard the Enquirer is looking people who know how to write "trash"...perhaps, she can get work there!
What events in this book are "fabricated"? If you're going to accuse the author of being a liar, then be prepared to back it up with examples. I read the book and enjoyed it very much. As for "lining her pockets," do you have any idea what a non-lucrative business being an author is, unless you're a best-selling one? I don't think Miss Barothy wrote this book to make money .... she wrote it as a tribute to her favorite star and to encourage other young girls to follow their dreams. You sound like sour grapes to me.
Bizarre

Blue Island, IL

#14 Apr 16, 2008
Rita, you seem to have a personal interest in Ms. Barothy (or does she have the interest in Miss Day?). Could it be that the two of you are personally involved? It sure seems so. Why else do you defend her so? Everything isn't always ALL right or ALL wrong. Get off your soap box. Your girlfriend isn't worth the time you're spending singing her praises to the rooftops.
MIKEYDV

Baltimore, MD

#15 Jul 10, 2008
I have read this book, The new Kaufman book and the book published in the UK (with the same cover picture...how stupid!). NONE of these tell ALL the story, but all three of them seem to highlight the fact that Doris Day is REALLY HUMAN! She cries, she loves, she cusses..AMEN AND HALLELUJAH! That just makes me love her all the more. For too many years, her husband FORCED her to comply with her "goody two shoes image", and I can understand why she got fed up with it...especially when it cost her some of what could have been the greatest roles of her career, namely: Nellie Forbush in SOUTH PACIFIC (THE PART WAS MADE FOR HER!) AND Maria in SOUND OF MUSIC (SURE, Julie Andrews was great; Doris could have been magnificent!)
I always thought that her records should have been much bigger hits....and they would have been if she had had a PROPER agent other than numbscull Melcher.
NO ONE YET has properly listed ALL OF HER RECORDINGS beginning with those she did as vocalist with Les Brown and ending with the ones as yet unreleased that she sang on the cable show, Doris Day's Best Friends.
I have heard from a source that I trust that Doris is as beautiful today as she ever was, and it is a darn shame that no one has been smart enough yet to entice her back for a great film...I still think she would do it.
I miss her a lot (on the screen, on tv and on records), but I have a great collection and I listen to and watch it daily. Doris is the greatest entertainer there ever was; she has brightened my life every day.
Rita

Cincinnati, OH

#16 Jul 15, 2008
MIKEYDV wrote:
I have read this book, The new Kaufman book and the book published in the UK (with the same cover picture...how stupid!). NONE of these tell ALL the story, but all three of them seem to highlight the fact that Doris Day is REALLY HUMAN! She cries, she loves, she cusses..AMEN AND HALLELUJAH! That just makes me love her all the more. For too many years, her husband FORCED her to comply with her "goody two shoes image", and I can understand why she got fed up with it...especially when it cost her some of what could have been the greatest roles of her career, namely: Nellie Forbush in SOUTH PACIFIC (THE PART WAS MADE FOR HER!) AND Maria in SOUND OF MUSIC (SURE, Julie Andrews was great; Doris could have been magnificent!)
I always thought that her records should have been much bigger hits....and they would have been if she had had a PROPER agent other than numbscull Melcher.
NO ONE YET has properly listed ALL OF HER RECORDINGS beginning with those she did as vocalist with Les Brown and ending with the ones as yet unreleased that she sang on the cable show, Doris Day's Best Friends.
I have heard from a source that I trust that Doris is as beautiful today as she ever was, and it is a darn shame that no one has been smart enough yet to entice her back for a great film...I still think she would do it.
I miss her a lot (on the screen, on tv and on records), but I have a great collection and I listen to and watch it daily. Doris is the greatest entertainer there ever was; she has brightened my life every day.
Finally, someone who "gets it" !!!!! Thank you !!! The Bret book seems to be tabloid-ish (I haven't read it and probably won't) but the other two are great.
Morpho Didius

Sykesville, MD

#17 Jul 15, 2008
I read Day at a Time and loved it! It was a fun and quick read with great photos. And for the record, I just stumbled upon this blog by searching for Doris Day. I do not know the author and I think these accusations are absolutely ridiculous! Apparently, some who have posted a positive comment on this blog have been chastised for it. I liked the book, so what!
travel lady

Centreville, VA

#18 Jul 24, 2008
I have not read any of the books
I was on a Christian Science Web Site and looked under books, and this book was one of them listed.

I was surprised to see the topics, because I thought it would be a book about Doris Days Christian Science time of her life

So I read the brief quote from the book on that site and liking Doris Day, having visited her inn in Carmel and see most of her movies, I am NOT as devoted as some of these fans.

I googled the book to see if I could get it less expensively as the CS Site

Now after reading all these comments I don't know what to think.

While I agree that a person should be entitled to a private life, when you put yourself out in front of the public, you become public domain

You want the publicity and the fame, and have press and pr releases, you cannot have your life painted just as you would like.

If Ms Day did not want an employee writing about her, then perhaps she should have thought about this new hire more, talked to her attorney, and had an employment contract written up.

She certainly had money to do it.
Most stars have had books written about them,and some are not so nice to fans.

If she wanted her life so private, may I suggest she should have stayed away from the movie star arena and become a government employee, no one ever writes about us.
badayu

Kapolei, HI

#19 Jul 24, 2008
whatever will be will be
the future's not our to see
Freedom

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Aug 12, 2008
As a long-time Doris Day fan, I found this book interesting in many ways, but rather repulsive in many others. The photographs and the personal account of Ms. Day's life are certainly fascinating, but the slavish devotion to Ms. Day demonstrated by Ms. Barothy is sickening, as is the way she and her friends stalked Ms. Day when they first visited and later moved to Los Angeles. Ms. Barothy seems to still be reveling in thinking that she is one of Ms. Day's inner circle of friends -- she constantly refers to Ms. Day as "Clara," the star's nickname. She seems to have no sense of pride in herself; her world revolved around Doris Day, to the extent that she chose to leave her newly widowed mother alone during the Christmas holidays so that Ms. Day would not be left without help around the house. In my mind, this is just not admirable, and makes me want to scream, "Get a LIFE!"

Ms. Barothy divulges way too much about Doris Day's private life; things that really add no value to the book, but instead make you feel like you accidentally found something in a desk drawer that you weren't supposed to see. And it was poorly written also -- the story seemed to move around in all directions, and some events seemed like a confused jumble that I had to re-read a few times before I could make any sense of it.

Having said all that, though, it IS interesting, albeit in a morbidly curious way. However, I would not recommend it. It leaves a true fan with a bad taste in his/her mouth.
TRACYR

Bayside, NY

#21 Aug 24, 2008
I agree with your post but instead of Ms. Barothy making ANY money from the book wouldn't it have been nice if the proceeds went to Ms. Day's charity??? Do you know how many animals could have been spayed or neutered??? I am sure that Ms. Day would have appreciated that and Ms. Barothy could at least hold her head high.
Freedom wrote:
As a long-time Doris Day fan, I found this book interesting in many ways, but rather repulsive in many others. The photographs and the personal account of Ms. Day's life are certainly fascinating, but the slavish devotion to Ms. Day demonstrated by Ms. Barothy is sickening, as is the way she and her friends stalked Ms. Day when they first visited and later moved to Los Angeles. Ms. Barothy seems to still be reveling in thinking that she is one of Ms. Day's inner circle of friends -- she constantly refers to Ms. Day as "Clara," the star's nickname. She seems to have no sense of pride in herself; her world revolved around Doris Day, to the extent that she chose to leave her newly widowed mother alone during the Christmas holidays so that Ms. Day would not be left without help around the house. In my mind, this is just not admirable, and makes me want to scream, "Get a LIFE!"
Ms. Barothy divulges way too much about Doris Day's private life; things that really add no value to the book, but instead make you feel like you accidentally found something in a desk drawer that you weren't supposed to see. And it was poorly written also -- the story seemed to move around in all directions, and some events seemed like a confused jumble that I had to re-read a few times before I could make any sense of it.
Having said all that, though, it IS interesting, albeit in a morbidly curious way. However, I would not recommend it. It leaves a true fan with a bad taste in his/her mouth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Mary's Gaels NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Spiders and Gaels meet in South Region's first ... (Mar '10) Aug '10 raju 3
News Jerome Randle, Omar Samhan and Patrick Christop... (Jun '10) Jun '10 MOlanjello 2
Celebrate in Houston (Mar '10) Mar '10 Howl at the Moon 1
News Upset: Villanova Falls to St. Mary's (Mar '10) Mar '10 Concerned Clevela... 3
News Saint Mary's matched up with Richmond in South (Mar '10) Mar '10 Spiderman 2
News UConn women's basketball team wins record 71st ... (Mar '10) Mar '10 va jj 1
News Jon Wilner: Stanford's Landry Fields making a c... (Feb '10) Feb '10 Adam Lenihan 1
More from around the web