Save it for the ring

Save it for the ring

There are 23 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 3, 2008, titled Save it for the ring. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Ignoring the blood trickling from his lip and the asthma that made it hard to breathe, Greg McKinney closed in on his older brother, Clarence.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
kkg

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Jan 3, 2008
Congrats to the Greg, Clarence and their coach. It sounds like this program is working.
sandra despain

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Jan 3, 2008
what a great and awesome positive idea....I remember when my mom set up a ring in the house when my sis and I would not quit fighting....Got my butt kicked.....

I applaud the creators.......and the children involved
Motor City Sam

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Jan 3, 2008
That's a nice positive story and well deserved recognition for that program and it's participants. Congratulations to all involved.
Christamore Supporter

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Jan 3, 2008
The Christamore House has done so many great things for young people and continues to do so. There old Executive Director, Olgen Williams is now the new Deputy Mayor of Indianapolis so now all of Indianapolis will benefit from a great man who is blessed by God. Keep up the good work Christamore House staff!!!
Greyhound

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Jan 3, 2008
Congratulations guys!!! We are proud of you!
Patrick

Louisville, KY

#7 Jan 3, 2008
So sad that we live in a society that promotes a "sport" where injuring another human being is the main objective.
Inspired

Hinsdale, IL

#8 Jan 3, 2008
Great article with positive content. Nice to read a "feel good" story amongst all the less than inspirational ones.

Great idea, keeping the young ones focused on developing their strengths, in and out of the ring. These young men are learning a whole lot more about life than just boxing.

As a father of boys involved in sports, I know exactly what their fathers are missing out on, and it's priceless.

Congratulations to all involved because that's what it takes, involvement.
Earn It

Carmel, IN

#10 Jan 3, 2008
Patrick wrote:
So sad that we live in a society that promotes a "sport" where injuring another human being is the main objective.
Grow up Patrick. I realize your mom may have failed to tell you the truth between stories of lollipops and unicorns but the fact is the world is a cold, hard place. If this is an example of how you approach your daily life you may want to invest in a helmet.
Lesia

United States

#11 Jan 3, 2008
This is a worthy organization and the boxing program is excellent!
Loner

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Jan 3, 2008
makes for good stamina,exercise,better than sitting on the couch playing a video game.
Patrick

Louisville, KY

#13 Jan 3, 2008
Earn It wrote:
<quoted text>
Grow up Patrick. I realize your mom may have failed to tell you the truth between stories of lollipops and unicorns but the fact is the world is a cold, hard place. If this is an example of how you approach your daily life you may want to invest in a helmet.
As I said (and you so generously reinforced), it's so sad...

Be prepared to explain your cynicism and life choices when you meet your Maker.
Patrick

Louisville, KY

#14 Jan 3, 2008
Phil wrote:
<quoted text>
So find a new society to live in...
What a witty reply! I'm so put in my place.
Nicole

Fishers, IN

#16 Jan 3, 2008
From the article: Who it serves: Indy PAL reached about 4,500 boys and girls last year, focusing on at-risk youths

However the headline says it is an "outlet for boys." Hmm...guess it isn't an outlet for girls as well. At my old boxing club there was one young woman who frequently would out box many of the young men.
Earn It

Carmel, IN

#17 Jan 3, 2008
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said (and you so generously reinforced), it's so sad...
Be prepared to explain your cynicism and life choices when you meet your Maker.
If my "maker" finds that the worst thing I ever did was enjoy a boxing math then I'd say I'm in pretty good shape.
TJONES

Memphis, TN

#19 Jan 3, 2008
Patrick wrote:
Yes but back in the old days kids were aloud to fight out their differences but they cannot do that today so what do they do, bring a gun. THINK ABOUT IT
pacers101

Independence, KY

#20 Jan 3, 2008
I believe former heavyweight champ Lamon Brewster started at Christamore.
As far as boxing promoting violence, well yea but few of these kids will go pro. And what they will take away from this experience will be positive. It keeps them off the streets, instills discipline, keeps them active and fit, gives them self worth and a feeling of accomplishment. yea the sport is violent but for these kids boxing is not just about beating someone up. it gives them many positive lessons for life
JNB

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Jan 3, 2008
They're both great kids who will soon be great black men who other black men will look up to.
tommie john

United States

#23 Jan 3, 2008
Patrick wrote:
no, Patrick, what is so sad is that we have become a society where chicken-hearted wimps are allowed to pick-at, lie on, falsely implecate, tease and then pretend to be innocent of any wrong doing themselves without any pay-back. then you have kids that have pent-up
rage because adults say...you can't touch...you can't fight...you are too aggressive...! well eventually the kids/youngsters that don't have a way to shed the stress do something bad that we all read about in the news. boxing, like any other sport is a stress releaver. some sports involve contact some don't. there is so much more to boxing than hitting. i'm glad that there is still some good people out there still providing this service to the community just like the martial arts and other venues. keep up the good work and my grandsons will be seeing you when they become old enough to box.
tommie john

United States

#24 Jan 3, 2008
hey Greg, Clarence, Coaches and most all Mother of the family....much love and respect to you for what you are all doing.
Gwen Denson

Burlington, KY

#25 Jan 4, 2008
When reading the article about the Mckinney brothers and their coach Marcus Chapman, brought tears to my eyes. I am 6 of 11 children and have watched some of my siblings encounter challenges during the younger years because of a lack of positive directions and absentee father. To see the wonderful work and influence Marcus Chapman has had on these children is nothing short of miraculous.Keep up the great job Mr. Chapman, you are saving some young person's life and freeing some mother from grief.
Mrs. Gwen Denson - Forest Park, Ohio

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Mary's Gaels NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Spiders and Gaels meet in South Region's first ... (Mar '10) Aug '10 raju 3
News Jerome Randle, Omar Samhan and Patrick Christop... (Jun '10) Jun '10 MOlanjello 2
Celebrate in Houston (Mar '10) Mar '10 Howl at the Moon 1
News Upset: Villanova Falls to St. Mary's (Mar '10) Mar '10 Concerned Clevela... 3
News Saint Mary's matched up with Richmond in South (Mar '10) Mar '10 Spiderman 2
News UConn women's basketball team wins record 71st ... (Mar '10) Mar '10 va jj 1
News Jon Wilner: Stanford's Landry Fields making a c... (Feb '10) Feb '10 Adam Lenihan 1
More from around the web