Roberts likely to be retained as St. John's coach

Full story: Newsday

St. John's isn't ready to decide on Norm Roberts' fate in any official sense, with the longshot possibility of a bid into the College Basketball Invitational tournament still on the table.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Howdy

Garden City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Judged:

What was once a source of pride for St. John's and New York City, has become a source of embarrassment.

How about cancel the whole basketball program and save the students a few million dollars?
Favrest

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Judged:

Is Roberts on drugs. We're moving totally in the right direction? 7-13 is the right direction? What an ass.
Mickey Mantle

Hampton Bays, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

I have been a St. John's fan for over 40 years and I have to say that I find it extremely hard to watch games anymore. I used to go to games but now I would have to wear a bag over my head. This program has taken a tumble and this hasn't been just a few years. Unacceptable! This program has taken a back seat to the likes of Hofstra and Stony Brook. Incredible!Rev Harrington - PLEASE pony up and get us a real top notch coach in here!
Mickey Mantle

Hampton Bays, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Judged:

Bring Back Carnesseca!!!!!! PLEASE!!
I'll buy him a new batch of sweaters!
Andy

Pomona, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

RECRUITING!!!!!!!!!!
marco baldi

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Judged:

a-sainta johns she's a no good no more.
Andy

Pomona, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Judged:

Mickey, think he is going to listen? The school doesnt need the program and as long as its not an embarrassment in the scandal world, all is ok. I agree with you, I am sick of looking at Syracuse billboards in the subway, I am sick of the opponents fans outnumbering us, Im sick of losing top recruits to other schools. WE ARE IN NYC and cant land the worlds collection of top basketball talent? Before the dorms the excuse was the dorms. We are in the media capital of the world and youd think he could sell NYC to a star...Lets get a coach. Lets fill the graden, lets see red in the subways...This is a disgrace and where are the boosters? Where are the Old players? Why is Louie ok with this, how can he sit there and watch this and not lean on Harrington? Im sick. Grow some balls, or take them from the collection bin on Sunday, either way, get us a coach and lets be great again!!!! We are starving.
Andy

Pomona, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Judged:

BTW, Baylor basketball had murders shut down the program about the same time we had scandal with ST johns and they beat Kansas today. Why in the middle of nowhere can they build a program back up faster than a team in NYC? Recruiting. I know the big east is the best conference, but Baylor? NYC? c'mon. Mark Jackson? hmmmmm? Chris Mullin? Walter? Bootsie? how bout speaking up on behalf of a legendary program? Harrington...please. Norm is in fact a great guy and im happy the program is back with integrity, but he cant recruit the stars, and he cant coach the big east because of that. You need both a coach and a recruiter, not one or the other, and Norm is a good coach I agree, but no recruiter. NYC for petes sake!!!
Minnesota Kid

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Judged:

Bring in John Krese to coach the team. He used to coach the College of Charleston and put them on the map. He is a NY guy and is retired as of right now. Give him whatever he wants and he will turn the program in a positive direction. He was offered the job once before and turned it down. Get him in here quickly.
jperez

Norcross, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

uh, who cares, really, who cares?
Jimmy

Lyndhurst, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Judged:

We New Yorkers care!!! I am ashamed to call myself a St. John's basketbal fan! One of the most famous teams in New York has become an absolute joke!! Lou Carneseca should retire entirely and stop showing his face on campus. They had many chances to land the big name coaches such as Pitino and Calipari but decided not to. All the money this school generates and they decide to do a half ass job with coaches that are terrible!! I am sick of donating my hard earned moneto this 2nd rate joke of a basketball institution. PLEASE wake the hell up and bring us a program we can watch and enjoy as we once did in the past!!!!!!!

“Let's go Yankees”

Since: Jul 08

Long Island

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Option A: John Calipari
Option B: MAAC
xyz

Point Lookout, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Judged:

MAAC won't take them and Big East still needs a NYC team. Hard to recruit at SJU, campus is mainly commuter, campus is just OK, average academic reputation for undergrad (thats why E. Boozer went to Duke over SJU) etc. Bringing in dorms hurt the program because SJU can't pay players to live at home like they could in the past. Time for tight fisted SJU to spend some bucks and land a big name coach to restore some credibility.
Jimmy

Lyndhurst, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Judged:

are u kiddin me??? New York is the biggest city in the world! It is sad to say that you cannot recruit in New York b/c the campus is just OK or b/c its mainly commuter!! This is ridiculous!!! Kansas State freakin recruited the best player in college basketball last year and he was born and raised in Maryland! KANSAS freakn state!!! Sooooooo sad to hear these stupid excuses!! The reason St. Johns doesnt recruit the big players is because the school retains these LOSER coaches that don't have a clue about recruiting or coaching!!!! GET CALIPARI or PITINO or even BOBBY KNIGHT!!!! WERE SICK OF LOSING!!!!!!
The Truth

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Judged:

When St. John's were the Redmen, everything was great. Then they bowed to political correctness and renamed the team and we all see the result, year in and year out.

Coincidence? I think not - the Gods don't like it when organizations succumb to an "I'm offended" group. That's just the truth...
Andy

Pomona, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Judged:

Put Mark Jackson as coach and get Chris Mullin on board, can you imagine a recruit getting that call? Send a copy of the back page of the newspapers the day after SJU won theyre last Big East Championship, along with the channel listing for cable and Fios showing the number of sports news outlets we see here. Walk a recruit onto the garden floor and explain that "this is the biggest house on the biggest stage...you can own this!" Show the fact that the grads from SJU are something no matter what they do or where they go, if you made it here, you make it anywhere...for the love of god, which I thought we had being a Franciscan U and all....lets be relevant again.
john rotten

Newark, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Judged:

fire morm roberts and hire a whopper

“Let's go Yankees”

Since: Jul 08

Long Island

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

Judged:

xyz wrote:
MAAC won't take them and Big East still needs a NYC team. Hard to recruit at SJU, campus is mainly commuter, campus is just OK, average academic reputation for undergrad (thats why E. Boozer went to Duke over SJU) etc. Bringing in dorms hurt the program because SJU can't pay players to live at home like they could in the past. Time for tight fisted SJU to spend some bucks and land a big name coach to restore some credibility.
Very good point. Due to SJU not having dorms, players could get in excess of $2000 a month, which was ok by the ncaa, for housing expenses. Many players used that money to help their families, which made their choice to attend SJU easier.

PS: Carlos Boozer, not (?) Emerson
lol. I knew what you meant, but didnt know that about him

And we have Mike Jarvis to blame for this fiasco
Who Pays

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

Enough of Carneseca and Jarvis. They are both over and the past as is St. John's basketball due to the mindless hiring of Norm Roberts who never ever proved that he can coach and people including Carneseca are say he is doing a "good job" and "building a foundation" after five years of garbage basketball. At this rate, St. John's may have a winning program in 100 years and even that does not look good under Robers. Fans are not as stupid as the St. John's Administration thinks. Norm and St. John's have gone in a direction alright and it is called SOUTH. St. John's is Soccer and Lacrosse and Womens Basketball etc. not Mens Basketball. Sickening incompetent decisions on baskeball program.
Jimmy

Newark, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

Judged:

FIRE NORM!!!! PAY the $$$$ for a big time coach such as Calipari or Pitino who are NY guys!!!!!!!!!! All St. John's fans should boycot the games until they show us they care! Carneseca is a joke!!! AND SO IS THE REST OF THE BASKETBALL PROGRAM!!! GET OUT ALREADY!! or GO HIRE SOMEONE WHO CAN TURN THIS JOKE OF A BASKETBALL PROGRAM INTO SOMETHING WE CAN WATCH! FIRE NORM!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent St. John's Red Storm NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the St. John's Red Storm NCAA Basketball Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Red Storm's Taming Of Georgetown Hoyas Marks Re... (Jan '11) Jan '11 NYSportsExaminer 1
K-State adding St. John's swingman? (May '10) May '10 thatswhatsup 1
St. John's Blog Talk (Mar '10) Mar '10 bill 2
St. John's falls in CBI opener (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tap San in LIC 3
St. John's ends Georgetown's NCAA hopes with 69... (Mar '09) Mar '09 DGC Spread 3
St. John's AD gives Roberts vote of confidence (Mar '09) Mar '09 who pays 1
St. John's gets bounced by Marquette (Mar '09) Mar '09 HarleyRyder 14
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••