O'Leary still won't speak to Sentinel

UCF Coach George O'Leary declined to answer questions from the Orlando Sentinel and barred his players from granting interviews with the newspaper during Conference USA media day on Sunday. Full Story
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Wenalway

Champaign, IL

#193 Jul 22, 2008
You're making no sense. Read very slowly now: The First Amendment is not an issue here. The players can still speak with any of the media other than the Sentinel.

No one was claiming the Sentinel's rights were being violated, although I'm sure Ronnie will head down that road eventually.

I don't know how you can be as wrong as you've been with every post, yet still somehow think you're making a point. Please leave; there's clearly no getting through to you. All you can do is type ROFL, but you offer no intelligent response.
Ron

Ocoee, FL

#194 Jul 23, 2008
Let's just agree to disagree. And, in doing so, please at least admit that it's an arguable point, one that could be worthy of a Supreme Court decision. I never said that it's cut-and-dry. I only said that it's my opinion that a First Amendment violation is taking place.

Why can't Wenalway just nod and be done with it? Why must he argue for eternity about a matter that is clearly open to arguments on both sides. I didn't say that blue is red. Of course, I have a feeling he'd argue that one, too.
captain constitution

West Monroe, LA

#195 Jul 23, 2008
Ron wrote:
Let's just agree to disagree. And, in doing so, please at least admit that it's an arguable point, one that could be worthy of a Supreme Court decision. I never said that it's cut-and-dry. I only said that it's my opinion that a First Amendment violation is taking place.
Why can't Wenalway just nod and be done with it? Why must he argue for eternity about a matter that is clearly open to arguments on both sides. I didn't say that blue is red. Of course, I have a feeling he'd argue that one, too.
I am sorry, I just cannot "agree to disagree" on something that is blatently wrong.

It is in no way worthy of the supreme court. The players are being told by a representative of UCF FOOTBALL not to speak about UCF FOOTBALL to the sentinel. If O'leary said they could not talk about why they thought McCain was better than Obama or vice versa, you **might** have a point.

But that aside there are many other reasons why their Civil Rights are not being violated, ie Student Conduct bleurb I posted earlier, their scholorship contracts, Student/athlete code of conduct, etc, etc.

This matter most certainly IS NOT "open to argument" There is no basis anywhere that states this is a violation of the 1st Amendment!

Just because it is YOUR OPINION does not make it a FACT!

As for your Blue is red comment... Sometimes Blue can indeed be red.:)
Wenalway

Lewisville, TX

#196 Jul 23, 2008
It's not open to arguments. You're wrong. The players can speak to anyone other than the Sentinel.

Your original premise was wrong; you argued it poorly; you then tried to shift the argument; and you still haven't retracted the original premise.

My only mistake was indulging your original argument. I should have known it was another "wave the banner; turn off the brain" sportswriter cause. The worst thing that ever happened to journalism was the sportswriting crowd deciding on its own it was now going to be part of real journalism.

For 95 percent of them, that will involve waiting for the stat sheet at the end of the game and then transferring those numbers into a poorly written, transition-less gamer with the names of both coaches and half the players misspelled. The other 5 percent will wait in vain for the anonymous tip that the junior high bocci ball coach is going to be fired at the next school board meeting.

Oh, BTW, you're still wrong. Not a First Amendment issue. Never has been; never will be.
Wenalway

Lewisville, TX

#197 Jul 23, 2008
Just to clarify (not that I really need to): I'm responding to Ronnie.
Ron

Ocoee, FL

#198 Jul 24, 2008
captain constitution wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry, I just cannot "agree to disagree" on something that is blatently wrong.
It is in no way worthy of the supreme court. The players are being told by a representative of UCF FOOTBALL not to speak about UCF FOOTBALL to the sentinel. If O'leary said they could not talk about why they thought McCain was better than Obama or vice versa, you **might** have a point.
But that aside there are many other reasons why their Civil Rights are not being violated, ie Student Conduct bleurb I posted earlier, their scholorship contracts, Student/athlete code of conduct, etc, etc.
This matter most certainly IS NOT "open to argument" There is no basis anywhere that states this is a violation of the 1st Amendment!
Just because it is YOUR OPINION does not make it a FACT!
As for your Blue is red comment... Sometimes Blue can indeed be red.:)
Just because you have a differing opinion also does not make that fact.

And I didn't see anything that said players are not to talk about football. I just saw that players are not allowed to talk at all.

But I bet they'll have an opportunity to talk in court, where the school will be on the receiving end of a hefty lawsuit that they won't win.
captain constitution

West Monroe, LA

#199 Jul 24, 2008
I offered facts...not differing opions.

your reply to everything:

"Ya, but it's got electrolytes"

Keep drinkinig your Brawndo, Idiot.

In other words...I am done with this discussion.
Swashbuckler

United States

#200 Jul 24, 2008
Ron wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because you have a differing opinion also does not make that fact.
And I didn't see anything that said players are not to talk about football. I just saw that players are not allowed to talk at all.
But I bet they'll have an opportunity to talk in court, where the school will be on the receiving end of a hefty lawsuit that they won't win.
It's quite likely that this will never see the inside of a courtroom. UCF will settle for a decent sum.
President Camacho

West Monroe, LA

#201 Jul 24, 2008
captain constitution wrote:
I offered facts...not differing opions.
your reply to everything:
"Ya, but it's got electrolytes"
Keep drinkinig your Brawndo, Idiot.
In other words...I am done with this discussion.
HAHAHAHA...classic!

Brawndo, "The Thirst Mutalator"
Cal J from the inside

Clearwater, FL

#202 Jul 24, 2008
Jeff wrote:
I am glad to see George O'Leary and UCF standing firm in their morals to not speak with the Sentinel until a proper apology is made to UCF and the rest of the Orlando community for the irresponsible reporting on Ereck Plancher's unfortunate death. The Sentinel has really become a disgrace to the entire Orlando community.
Thank goodness its not the newspaper I rely on.
Too bad that ucf's responses were not inspired by moral or ethical considerations...but rather by their increasingly predictable penchant for
liability-related coverup activity when one of their coaching staffs makes mistakes at the expense of their
student-athletes. When the trainer or
others in the sports-medicine department similarly makes mistakes causing harm or further complicating
the injury/damage, sometimes due to coaching intimidation, the university predictably closes ranks, limits communication, directs the level of medical care to be allowed by doctors outside-vended, i.e. allow an MRI or not, and in other ways seconds the care of the student/athlete's injury to "other ucf concerns".
This irresponsible behavior by ucf's administration does not always result in death, but it does often end sports
careers, and embitters the ones with whose welfare they have been charged.
Keep up the good work hitt..."growth at any cost" and "unbridled growth breeds mediocrity" are but two of the maxims governing your management style.
Hopefully, in the case of ucf baseball, the hiring of Rooney is a signal that the trend is being reversed. If he can avoid being over-whelmed by ucf's meat market mentality, by all accounts, he'll be good for the program.
Wenalway

Lewisville, TX

#203 Jul 24, 2008
Ron wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because you have a differing opinion also does not make that fact.
And I didn't see anything that said players are not to talk about football. I just saw that players are not allowed to talk at all.
But I bet they'll have an opportunity to talk in court, where the school will be on the receiving end of a hefty lawsuit that they won't win.
Try reading the article. I even posted the relevant segment. I'm embarrassed for giving you the benefit of the doubt in the beginning.

Do people come in and dress you in the morning? You don't seem too self-driven.
UCF 95

Sarasota, FL

#204 Jul 26, 2008
flsportsfan83 wrote:
<quoted text>
nope got accepted, didnt go.
Talk about liars.
Umm

Orlando, FL

#205 Jul 29, 2008
UCF Sucks wrote:
UCF is a joke. That school blows. GO FAU
With all due respect, I'm pretty sure it's not called FAU anymore. I think I read an article somewhere saying they changed their name to Everest University.
UCF 95

Sarasota, FL

#206 Jul 30, 2008
Umm wrote:
<quoted text>
With all due respect, I'm pretty sure it's not called FAU anymore. I think I read an article somewhere saying they changed their name to Everest University.
FMU, not FAU changed their name to Everest University
JRho

Orlando, FL

#207 Jul 30, 2008
UCF 95 wrote:
<quoted text>
FMU, not FAU changed their name to Everest University
Never heard of either one, so what is the difference?
Umm

Orlando, FL

#208 Aug 4, 2008
UCF 95 wrote:
<quoted text>
FMU, not FAU changed their name to Everest University
It was a supposed to be a low blow.
oleary is a drunk

Monson, MA

#209 Aug 4, 2008
fire the stinking coward
UCF 95

Sarasota, FL

#210 Aug 5, 2008
oleary is a drunk wrote:
fire the stinking coward
So, you are calling a guy who hasn't had a drink in over 15 years a drunk, when all you have to do is go to any bar in Tampa on the weekend and you have a good chance of running into Leavitt stumbling out of it, on his way to another bar. Seen it a few times, not a pretty sight for a guy who is supposed to be College Football Coach.
UCF 95

Sarasota, FL

#211 Aug 5, 2008
Umm wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a supposed to be a low blow.
got it....finally....lol
Umm

Orlando, FL

#212 Aug 5, 2008
UCF 95 wrote:
<quoted text>
got it....finally....lol
All good.

GO KNIGHTS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southern Miss. Golden Eagles NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NFL Power Rankings Week 3: Predicting Post-"Mon... Sep '14 Reggie McWTF 6
Brandon wrestling takes 40th straight title (Feb '14) Feb '14 lookingcrazy1 1
Chip Kelly Will Beat Andy Reid's Win Total In 2013 (Jul '13) Jul '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
'Embarrassing' season cost Southern Miss' Johns... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Southernmiss81 1
USM Football finishes 0-12 in 2012 (Nov '12) Nov '12 Southernmiss81 1
Ho hum, another loss: Mustangs stampede past Go... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Southernmiss81 1
Peterson leads Rice past Southern Miss 44-17 (Oct '12) Nov '12 jim day 3
More from around the web