Akron's Zippy is No. 1 mascot

Akron's Zippy is No. 1 mascot

There are 56 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Jan 1, 2008, titled Akron's Zippy is No. 1 mascot. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

In a season of bowl games and football titles, the University of Akron brought home a national championship of its own.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Buckeye Fan

Athens, OH

#41 Jan 2, 2008
What the heck is a zippy?
Barb in Cincy

Fairfield, OH

#42 Jan 2, 2008
Way to go Zippy!
You deserve the recognition, as does the university. As a graduate in 1981 with an undergraduate degree and 1983 with a graduate degree, I am proud to say that I am a "Zip"!
Akron Alum

Ashtabula, OH

#43 Jan 2, 2008
Go Zippy!
I know what it takes to be inside the suit!
Nice Job!
Akron Alum

Ashtabula, OH

#44 Jan 2, 2008
I'm a former Univ of Akron cheerleader...and hold zippy near and dear to my heart!
Way to go!!
ohionightmare

Columbus, OH

#45 Jan 2, 2008
I love the rubber bowl. Driving up from Manchester road and Kenmore blvd to 224 to see a game and hitting Stricklands ice cream on the way back. I
played there a couple times in high school and seen dozens of games from there. I love the Zips and the rubber bowl. I have scene Beanie Wells play there in high school and he rushed for over 300 yards in a loss to Buchtel. I remember Jason Taylor too. Zippy you and the black keys.......hell I will even throw in the Y-bridge and Luigis pizza on furnace street are all jewels of the rubber city. GO KENMORE CARDS>
Buzbe Tarver

United States

#46 Jan 2, 2008
All I gotta say is "FEAR THE ROO BABY!! FEAR THE ROO!!" You are CAPITAL ONE!!!
77Grad

United States

#47 Jan 2, 2008
Way to go, Zippy!!!!!!!!!! We love you in FL!!!!!!!!!!
proud of zippy

United States

#48 Jan 2, 2008
I personally know of people in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Seattle, Florida, Cincinnati, and Los Angeles as well as others who voted for Zippy! All proud Akron Alumni!! Way to go Zips!!
alum

Fayetteville, NC

#49 Jan 2, 2008
Thanks to the Beacon Journal for the publicity allowing the community to support Zippy in the mascot contest. I voted whenever I could. Way to go Zippy, the most popular and unique mascot.
haras

Washington, DC

#50 Jan 2, 2008
Team Zippy
Capital One sucks

Lorain, OH

#51 Jan 3, 2008
Capital One is guilty of age discrimination in their employment. They were cited, and still do it. They never learn.

Boycott Capital One.

Contact their general counsel, John Finneran, for details.
Trojan Mountain

United States

#52 Jan 3, 2008
All I can say is, if people get so excited about this "achievement" as they are apparently are in these comments, then Akron is truly a small-thinking, pathetic town with no real hopes for the future. Just the way PlusquellicCo wants it.
Christine

Mansfield, OH

#53 Jan 3, 2008
We love you Zippy yes we do!!! Congrats Zippy!!!

Hi David R; isn't it great-from a STC Grad!!!
Rue the Fear

Oak Forest, IL

#54 Jan 3, 2008
It's hilarious watching the little hillbilly kids from Akron and Kent State fighting about this.

Note to the Hillbilly Kids: tune in Monday night to watch Ohio's REAL football team play in another National Championship game!
(Oh and Brutus Buckeye would kick Zipper's butt.)

Since: Aug 07

Akron, OH

#55 Jan 3, 2008
Rue the Fear wrote:
It's hilarious watching the little hillbilly kids from Akron and Kent State fighting about this.
Note to the Hillbilly Kids: tune in Monday night to watch Ohio's REAL football team play in another National Championship game!
(Oh and Brutus Buckeye would kick Zipper's butt.)
Not in basketball, soccer, or rifle! The Bucks are MAYBE the 3rd best in basketball in Ohio this year.
Rue the Fear

Oak Forest, IL

#56 Jan 3, 2008
ziptrumpet87 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in basketball, soccer, or rifle! The Bucks are MAYBE the 3rd best in basketball in Ohio this year.

Rifle? What, are you kidding me? Who's ranked atop the "rifle" sport? The Kent State National Guard?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southern Miss. Golden Eagles NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NFL Power Rankings Week 3: Predicting Post-"Mon... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Reggie McWTF 6
News Brandon wrestling takes 40th straight title (Feb '14) Feb '14 lookingcrazy1 1
News Chip Kelly Will Beat Andy Reid's Win Total In 2013 (Jul '13) Jul '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News 'Embarrassing' season cost Southern Miss' Johns... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Southernmiss81 1
News USM Football finishes 0-12 in 2012 (Nov '12) Nov '12 Southernmiss81 1
News Ho hum, another loss: Mustangs stampede past Go... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Southernmiss81 1
News Peterson leads Rice past Southern Miss 44-17 (Oct '12) Nov '12 jim day 3
More from around the web