CA thieves make off with $1 million i...

CA thieves make off with $1 million in jewels

There are 46 comments on the El Paso Times story from Feb 24, 2010, titled CA thieves make off with $1 million in jewels. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

UTEP hit a speed bump down the stretch -- but it was only a bump. The nationally-ranked Miners held on, pushing aside a frantic Southern Miss rally, to take a 59-56 Conference USA victory over the Golden Eagles on Wednesday night in Hattiesburg, Miss.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Obama bin Biden

United States

#21 Feb 25, 2010
Who cares?

This headline should be replaced with what is REALLY important to the American people.
The Demoncrats are trying to ram through socialized medicine.......while other countries with socialized medicine are killing their own people with it.
Look at the UK.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_sty...
almost

Dallas, TX

#22 Feb 25, 2010
All teams dance with an ugly one! and I hope this was it.. GO MINERS !!!
RoOsTeR

El Paso, TX

#24 Feb 25, 2010
MinerManiac in SA wrote:
I have to disagree with everyone who keeps saying "a win is a win". We were up by 15 and won by only 3. That is way too close for comfort. Do you think UTEP will be able to hang with the big boys if they keep blowing leads like that? Remember the Ole Miss game? We were up by 20 and lost in OT. Ole Miss was ranked 25th at the time. You bet I'll take this ugly win, but UTEP has to DOMINATE these last 3 games going into the CUSA tournament. I don't care that Northern Iowa and Texas A&M lost. It shouldn't matter if the Miners are ranked in the next AP Poll. All UTEP has to do is keep on winning, the rest will fall into place. GO MINERS!!!
Dude! You disagree with yourself in YOUR OWN POST! You say you disagree with everyone saying "a win is a win" but you'll "take this ugly win". With you taking the ugly win you admit that a win is a win lol. It's not like you can't take the win anyways. What are you gonna do protest the win till the NCAA gives it to So. Miss.? You say they have to "DOMINATE" then you say all they have to do is "keep on winning". Further admitting that it doesn't matter how they get it done as long as they get it done. A post is a post and a Miner fan is a Miner fan so I won't blast you.... But at the end of the day A WIN IS A WIN!
RoOsTeR

El Paso, TX

#25 Feb 25, 2010
JRMaynard3 wrote:
They didn't play like the 25th ranked team but they played well enough to win. Another trap is set for Saturday. Everyone be at the DON!
I think you just lost your right to go on Saturday. You know what 25th rank teams play like?...... they play like a team that wins and unless I missed something Miners won! Your one of those guys that makes stupid comments at games that leaves all the fans with a Basketball IQ around you thinking "Did he really just say that? Leave the criticism at the entrance next to the roasted almonds so it doesn't stink up the Don!
El horizion city monstro

United States

#26 Feb 25, 2010
#3 purdue almost lost to unranked Minnesota ,welcome to the world of college basketball games like that happen ,miners squeek by SM I'll take the win
Miner in SoCal

Woodland Hills, CA

#27 Feb 25, 2010
In 1992, the Miners lost to lowly Air Force in coference play. Later, they had two absolute heart breaking losses to Utah and BYU in the final seconds of those games. Yet, we all know what happened later in the Big Dance--beating #2 Kansas, advancement to the Sweet 16, and a few easy buckets short of the Elite 8. Close games and even unexpected losses are part of college basketball. It speaks volumes of this team that they gutted it out and maintained their streak. I think we're entering a new golden age of UTEP basketball.
El horizion city monstro

United States

#28 Feb 25, 2010
Miner in SoCal wrote:
In 1992, the Miners lost to lowly Air Force in coference play. Later, they had two absolute heart breaking losses to Utah and BYU in the final seconds of those games. Yet, we all know what happened later in the Big Dance--beating #2 Kansas, advancement to the Sweet 16, and a few easy buckets short of the Elite 8. Close games and even unexpected losses are part of college
basketball. It speaks volumes of this team
that they gutted it out and maintained their
streak. I think we're entering a new golden
age of UTEP basketball.
thank you
UTEP Fanatic

El Paso, TX

#29 Feb 25, 2010
Now the rest of you can go nuts trying to change the color of the ball.
Remember, you have to click on the ball to change its color.
I agree with the statement below.

CLICK ON THE BALL AND IT WILL CHANGE COLOR.

Yes it does.

Whoever made this up needs to be shot!

Ball

Dot Dot Dot

Frisco, TX

#30 Feb 25, 2010
You can't expect to blow out conference foes on the road every damn game.

It's not gonna happen, So Miss is a good team. That was a trap game for us.
Danny

El Paso, TX

#31 Feb 25, 2010
From the blog:-- I did cut and paste.

'I hope that Marshall and UTEP game is on TV so Marshall can show how weak UTEP really is! WHite side just a tall skinny guy?? ha, thats why he's projected as a freshman as a top 15 pick if he goes NBA?? and for the following years draft projected #1??? your right just a tall skinny guy! You have to be crazy not to think Marshall is a good team they played WVU down to the wire! and WVU is a lot better than UTEP! It wont be a blowout but Marshall wont give this one away at home! Its going to be physical game so i project Marshall 64...UTEP 59 and Whiteside with a double-double!'
Bill Br

El Paso, TX

#32 Feb 25, 2010
Great win, Miners! It is good to keep winning. The game was ugly, yes, but that is how USM coach has them play (ugly) in order to stay close & have a chnce at winning in the end. UTEP seemed to have an 'off' night shooting from outside (feel we should have gone inside a little more), but Strong, Culpepper, Moultrie, and Character played well. Defense is good, Caracter looks good inside, and UTEP looks to be playing at a higher level (less the lapses)of bb compared to rest of teams. If they make their FT at end of game, they should get their victories. Win or lose, the Miners have my support. GO MINERS!!!
Jonathan bernal

El Paso, TX

#33 Feb 25, 2010
wats up
Jonathan bernal

El Paso, TX

#34 Feb 25, 2010
Who caresz
Miner student

El Paso, TX

#35 Feb 25, 2010
Danny wrote:
From the blog:-- I did cut and paste.
'I hope that Marshall and UTEP game is on TV so Marshall can show how weak UTEP really is! WHite side just a tall skinny guy?? ha, thats why he's projected as a freshman as a top 15 pick if he goes NBA?? and for the following years draft projected #1??? your right just a tall skinny guy! You have to be crazy not to think Marshall is a good team they played WVU down to the wire! and WVU is a lot better than UTEP! It wont be a blowout but Marshall wont give this one away at home! Its going to be physical game so i project Marshall 64...UTEP 59 and Whiteside with a double-double!'
Never, ever, i mean ever ever ever ever ever count your chickens before they hatch. Geez that guy sounds like a total A-Hole!!!! Has he forgotten that Marshall lost to Tulsa and Memphis??? UTEP BEAT BOTH THOSE TEAMS IN THEIR HOME COURTS!!!!! Marshall is good but this guy is an arrogant doosh bag. F**k em'.
UTEP MINER

El Paso, TX

#36 Feb 25, 2010
Obama bin Biden wrote:
Who cares?
This headline should be replaced with what is REALLY important to the American people.
The Demoncrats are trying to ram through socialized medicine.......while other countries with socialized medicine are killing their own people with it.
Look at the UK.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_sty...
go talk about politics somewhere else...NERD!!!!!!
Tanilo del Chuco

United States

#37 Feb 25, 2010
It's always great to see good news come out of El Paso. I still don't understand what El Paso has to do with "dee deep Souf, down in Dixie!" However, I was stationed in Biloxi in 1964, and had a ball.

UTEP ought to be playing NM! There's someone to beat. As well as NMSU, ASU, UA, UNV, and other Southwestern schools.

I know: NCAA does like the Weather Network, and just looks at the state, not the culture. I swear on a stack of Douey Bibles that, only a couple of years ago, I went on the Weather Network to get El Paso weather when I was flying in to see a sick friend. They [honest!] gave me the weather for HOUSTON! Even the weather for San Diego would have been closer.

But anyhoo, Jay, Minors! Dalen gas, locos!
pharoe

Inglewood, CA

#39 Feb 25, 2010
just the fact that the miners held on and won, is good enough for me, it shows that they're not going to crumble even in a hostile environment. ohh by the way does anyone know why the miners left the wac, just wondering!
wevis1111

New Braunfels, TX

#40 Feb 25, 2010
Man, out of all these posts, no love for Myron Strong??? He is the one that kept us in the game when we were down by 9 and no one else could buy a bucket. That guy played out of his mind last night, albeit for the brief amount of time he did get to play. As shi**y as UTEP played, they showed some resolve by squeaking this one out. I think that is the mark of a good team. I remember the close games with Memphis the last few years where we played about as good as we could and they had semi poor nights yet we couldn't beat them because...well they were a good team. I'm not saying we are championship material necessarily, but, well...we are a good team. Go MINERS!!!
Seymour Butts

United States

#41 Feb 25, 2010
Who cares about the Miners anyway.....the Times should be covering the Lobos and Aggies.....Miners will choke in the first round of the NCAA playoffs.
Danny

El Paso, TX

#42 Feb 25, 2010
ESPN just said that Duke is 'the cream of the crop in the ACC and maybe a #1 seed'.

Tulsa 30 - Duke 34 at halftime........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southern Miss. Golden Eagles NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Southern Miss stumbles, falls to Memphis in Con... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Kevin 1
News Southern Miss pummels Tulane in first round of ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 JRMaynard3 1
News Miners face tough road test (Feb '11) Feb '11 disappointed 31
News CSUMB cagers fall to Southern Mississippi (Dec '10) Dec '10 Alan 1
News USM men's team has chance to be really good (Aug '10) Aug '10 A FAN 1
News UTEP Miners look to protect national ranking (Feb '10) Feb '10 Texas Don 38
News UConn women regain road appeal (Jan '08) Feb '10 Connecticut Sam 16
More from around the web