CA thieves make off with $1 million in jewels

Full story: El Paso Times

UTEP hit a speed bump down the stretch -- but it was only a bump. The nationally-ranked Miners held on, pushing aside a frantic Southern Miss rally, to take a 59-56 Conference USA victory over the Golden Eagles on Wednesday night in Hattiesburg, Miss.
Comments
1 - 20 of 46 Comments Last updated Feb 26, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
The Truth

San Antonio, TX

#1 Feb 25, 2010
Way to make it 11 in a row!! Wasn't pretty but a win is a win. Positive is Utep has now been able to maintain a lead which is something they couldn't do in the beginning of the season. That is so great Memphis lost as well today. Gives Utep a really good chance to lock up the conference title.

Also,in the AP poll 25th ranked Northern Iowa lost yesterday,and today 22nd ranked Texas A&M lost so I would expect Utep to be ranked in the AP poll this monday as well as being better ranked in the usa today/espn poll with a win saturday which is expected. That was so nice seeing Utep's name on the bottom of the screen today showing they were playing today as a ranked #25 on all the espn channels!!
Dumb El Pasoan

United States

#2 Feb 25, 2010
Go Cowboys!!
Out of Town

Korea

#3 Feb 25, 2010
Go Miners!
JRMaynard3

United States

#4 Feb 25, 2010
They didn't play like the 25th ranked team but they played well enough to win. Another trap is set for Saturday. Everyone be at the DON!

“It's always sunny in El Paso.”

Since: Sep 08

El Paso, TX

#5 Feb 25, 2010
U T E P | M I N E R S
GO Miners

El Paso, TX

#6 Feb 25, 2010
Miners will beat Rice Saturday ---ugly or not!
crissecomeadizzy

United States

#7 Feb 25, 2010
winning breeds confidence,and the Miners have plenty of it right now! Teams have to learn how to win and this team has fully done that. Memphis loosing was big! Props to Coach Barbee, way to go Miners!
double order w fries

Fort Worth, TX

#8 Feb 25, 2010
Arriba los Mineros de la JUTEP!!!! I want some chicos nacos!!!
Steve El-Paso Rockport

Aransas Pass, TX

#9 Feb 25, 2010
Good Post - The Truth.
Its nice to be ranked late in the season and we have a great chance to move up. The sloppy performance last night might serve as a warning its not to be repeated.

The last time UTEP was ranked there weren't as many serious programs nor as much money spent.

This is something for fans to savor and for players to maintain.
Get it together

El Paso, TX

#10 Feb 25, 2010
Its nice to win, but we all saw the mental flaws yesterday. They need to stay focused.
MinerManiac in SA

Weslaco, TX

#11 Feb 25, 2010
I have to disagree with everyone who keeps saying "a win is a win". We were up by 15 and won by only 3. That is way too close for comfort. Do you think UTEP will be able to hang with the big boys if they keep blowing leads like that? Remember the Ole Miss game? We were up by 20 and lost in OT. Ole Miss was ranked 25th at the time. You bet I'll take this ugly win, but UTEP has to DOMINATE these last 3 games going into the CUSA tournament. I don't care that Northern Iowa and Texas A&M lost. It shouldn't matter if the Miners are ranked in the next AP Poll. All UTEP has to do is keep on winning, the rest will fall into place. GO MINERS!!!
Raul

El Paso, TX

#12 Feb 25, 2010
JRMaynard3 wrote:
They didn't play like the 25th ranked team but they played well enough to win. Another trap is set for Saturday. Everyone be at the DON!
And you know exactly how the #25 team should play like because?

I know something though - you're an idiot!
Terry

El Paso, TX

#13 Feb 25, 2010
MinerManiac in SA wrote:
I have to disagree with everyone who keeps saying "a win is a win". GO MINERS!!!
A win is a win! YEAH
No Speako

El Paso, TX

#14 Feb 25, 2010
double order w fries wrote:
Arriba los Mineros de la JUTEP!!!! I want some chicos nacos!!!
Je ne parle pas ou ne comprends pas franšais
True Fans

El Paso, TX

#15 Feb 25, 2010
I love seeing all these true fans here. People who will go to each and every game no matter how the Miners are doing. People who will support the coaching staff at all times win or lose.
utep alum 05

El Paso, TX

#16 Feb 25, 2010
MinerManiac in SA wrote:
I have to disagree with everyone who keeps saying "a win is a win". We were up by 15 and won by only 3. That is way too close for comfort. Do you think UTEP will be able to hang with the big boys if they keep blowing leads like that? Remember the Ole Miss game? We were up by 20 and lost in OT. Ole Miss was ranked 25th at the time. You bet I'll take this ugly win, but UTEP has to DOMINATE these last 3 games going into the CUSA tournament. I don't care that Northern Iowa and Texas A&M lost. It shouldn't matter if the Miners are ranked in the next AP Poll. All UTEP has to do is keep on winning, the rest will fall into place. GO MINERS!!!
Take it easy guy!! It was an ugly game but i'm glad they grinded out the win..This was a good win because it brought them back to reality. At Ole Miss, they were up 12 with 4 mins, not 20 but either they should have not lost that game. Southern Miss is not that bad of team. They do have 16 wins.Ugly win but enjoy it. I will till the next game. GO MINERS !!!!!!
back to basics

El Paso, TX

#17 Feb 25, 2010
Way to hang in there Miners. No doubt that everybody wants a piece of you. You guys need to turn around and play "your" game. Set the pace that you want. We can definitely out rebound just about every team in the nation--so make it happen!! More importantly, we need to dominate the offensive boards-this will ensure that we get our 2 or 3 points per possession. We finally have the depth that a great team needs. Let's take advantage of that fact. There is nothing like a bench that scores as well as the starting lineup. Coach Barbee needs to go back to full court press and man-to-man. The past exercise in zone defense was worthwhile, but our guys are really good--they can hang man-to-man. I want to see the guys having fun practicing while they're playing. Set the pace Miners you have to feel comfortable wearing the nicest threads at the party--have confidence!! EL PASO LOVES YOU!!! GO MINERS!!!!
Check this out

El Paso, TX

#18 Feb 25, 2010
www.minerrush.com a cool website for utep athletics kind of like burnt orange nation is to Texas athletics.
yeah

Dallas, TX

#19 Feb 25, 2010
Coach Barbee , great job coaching under ugly conditions.. the Miners held on even when the (mini fan base ) was getting on their face... like always culpepper,caracter,polk,moultr ie,williams,stone,britten and great work by strong !! we will see you at the DON.. HOPEFULLY NO WINE AND CHEESE THIS TIME... EARLY ENOUGH TO SEE THE PRE-GAME WARM-UP AND INTRO'S.. GO MINERS !!!
Don

El Paso, TX

#20 Feb 25, 2010
JRMaynard3 wrote:
They didn't play like the 25th ranked team but they played well enough to win.
With your logic - Kansas beat Memphis 57-55 - I guess Kansas is ranked to high.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southern Miss. Golden Eagles NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Southern Miss stumbles, falls to Memphis in Con... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Kevin 1
Southern Miss pummels Tulane in first round of ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 JRMaynard3 1
Miners face tough road test (Feb '11) Feb '11 disappointed 31
CSUMB cagers fall to Southern Mississippi (Dec '10) Dec '10 Alan 1
USM men's team has chance to be really good (Aug '10) Aug '10 A FAN 1
UTEP Miners look to protect national ranking (Feb '10) Feb '10 Texas Don 38
UConn women regain road appeal (Jan '08) Feb '10 Connecticut Sam 16
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Southern Miss. Golden Eagles NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••