Calhoun Needs To Sort Things Out

Calhoun Needs To Sort Things Out

There are 26 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 22, 2008, titled Calhoun Needs To Sort Things Out. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

T AMPA, Fla. - Although the massive headline in the St. Pete Times read, "SHOCKERS!", the St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hmmm

United States

#1 Mar 23, 2008
Maybe Jim should retire on a high note and team up with Bobby Knigh on TV. Maybe UCONN should hire the San Diego coach...His Star is Rising. Keep Blaney unless he goes back to Holy Cross where the program is building again to hark back to the days when Holy Cross won the NCAA & NIT. They graduate something like 98% of their players.
downeaster

Ashburn, VA

#2 Mar 23, 2008
hire bobby knight
Huh

United States

#3 Mar 23, 2008
downeaster wrote:
hire bobby knight
Are there enogh chairs?

Since: Mar 08

Gloucester, MA

#4 Mar 23, 2008
Perhaps its forgotten how Coach C took the UConn Men from a mediocre program to national champions TWICE. Maybe its forgotten how in the Atlantic League students and fans were watching basketball in a field house with buckets to catch the water on rainy days as the game continued. What a difference a few years makes in the memories of disgruntled fans. This is the reality of big league college sports. A player and/or coach may be a genius one game or season and a goat the next game OR season. I still think that Coach Calhoun is one of the best coaches in College basketball.
Leslie

AOL

#5 Mar 23, 2008
Every top team has some good white players on their
team,why not Uconn.
flahusky

Saint Petersburg, FL

#6 Mar 23, 2008
Don't make this white and black! How about some players that can shoot?
THUNDER

AOL

#7 Mar 23, 2008
BASKETBALL HAS CHANGED GREATLY IN THE PAST FEW YEARS.THERE IS PARITY IN BOTH MEN AND WOMENS B.B CALHOUN DESERVES THE CRITICISM BY RECRUITING THE DUMBEST TEAM IN THE NATION.I DON'T SEE ANY SIGN OF INTELLIGENCE IN ANY OF THE FIRST 8 OTHER THAN GAVIN EDWARDS.THERE IS NO COMPETIVE JUICES FLOWING OTHER THAN ADRIAN.YOU MUST CHECK THE MORALS,INTEGRITY AND INTELLIGENCE BEFORE OFFERING FREE RIDES.THIS THE FIRST TEAM THAT DOES NOT RESPOND TO CALHOUN'S RANTING.
HuskyPost

Ridgefield, CT

#8 Mar 23, 2008
How about some players that will play tenacious defense, dive for loose balls, break a sweat, be happy and productive coming off the bench?
Haven't seen many lately.
dom

Bristol, CT

#9 Mar 23, 2008
no. its not forgotten how far Calhoun has taken the program, or that he has been one of the best coaches in the game or that he is rightfully in the Hall of Fame. BUT....it cannot be denied that his teams have underachieved for at least 3 years in a row now. This year and arguably last year, it seems as though it was due to a lack of effort and certainly a teamwide lack of motivation, especially down the stretch. its either him or the players he's bringing in.
Mix Master Mikhail

Danbury, CT

#10 Mar 23, 2008
Leslie wrote:
team,why not Uconn.
Ahhhhh. The true colors of CT come out. They have had good white players: Nadav Hennefeld, Doron Sheffer, Travis Knight, Jake Voskuhl, etc. But you don't recruit based on race! And so many of the best white players seem to go to the elite academic schools like Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame, etc.
does anyone

Monroe, CT

#11 Mar 23, 2008
Mix Master Mikhail wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhhhh. The true colors of CT come out. They have had good white players: Nadav Hennefeld, Doron Sheffer, Travis Knight, Jake Voskuhl, etc. But you don't recruit based on race! And so many of the best white players seem to go to the elite academic schools like Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame, etc.
and they also stink with the exception of a very few... how many white college players go on to the NBA and are good nowadays? thats probably why they go to elite academic schools, the problem isnt the race that uconn is recruiting, its not getting shooters or players that seem eager or have that spark to play with the exception of adrien and aj price
tboy

Mansfield, OH

#12 Mar 24, 2008
Sorry Jeff I could not disagree more. Thabeet's offensive liabilities are too glaring to ignore. He is an offensive albatross and if anyone in the NBA wants him, good luck to him. Because of Thabeet's considerable defensive prowess Adrien and Robinson are often out of a good defending position and no one at UConn "boxes out", this they give up a lot of offensive rebounds. I do think the chemistry on this team has never been good. When you compare this team to West Va, there is a night and day difference. West Va has a toughness and an attitude around them, UConn does not.
Personally, I think the weak spot is in the recruiting, not the game day coaching.
thetruth

Cambridge, MA

#13 Mar 24, 2008
Leslie wrote:
team,why not Uconn.
What an absolute f ucking moron you are. Do me a favor and please erase yourself from existance. You're clearly an absolute scum of a person. As I said, please erase yourself from this world...you're not needed.
David

Seattle, WA

#14 Mar 24, 2008
"It remains up to Calhoun to sort out this situation and the guards will have to swallow some ego."

Jeff, the buck has got to stop with Calhoun. I seriously question whether he can navigate some of these team chemistry issues. We saw the same "Dyson" type thing with Denham Brown and Rashad Anderson. This is ridiculous -- there are teams out there playing their hearts out and we can't seem to get five players that like each other enough to shoot for an overall goal. Maybe we should take Tom Moore and see what happens.
freeflow

Atlanta, GA

#15 Mar 24, 2008
Leslie wrote:
team,why not Uconn.
Actually, the team SUCKED...they weren't mediocre before Calhoun arrived.
Calhoun has spoiled Connecticut fans. Those calling for his job would be spoiled little whiney brats who are born losers.
Upsets are part of the game. They happen so it isn't time to get our panties in a bunch. Let's support our coach and our players like grown ups.
Oh yeaaah

Hartford, CT

#16 Mar 24, 2008
WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
we lost in the 1st round........Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah !!!!!!!!!!
Mix Master Mikhail

Danbury, CT

#17 Mar 24, 2008
I'm praying for an announcement in the coming week that Jerome Dyson has decided to transfer to St. Bonaventure.
Real Fan

Bayonne, NJ

#18 Mar 24, 2008
I am disgusted at what I am reading. Calhoun built this program & won 2 National Titles, and you think he all of a sudden he can't coach, recruit, motivate players, etc? you are CLUELESS!!! Go root for the women then, we dont need fairweather fans on the Men's bandwagon. After they won 10 games in a row this year, there was talk he should win coach of the year, where were you losers then screaming for his job & saying this team had no chemistry, toughness, character? And for Dyson, he was the only guard on Friday who had the guts to step up and almost carry UConn to a win, and was not turning the ball over before getting to the hoop. Get a clue before you try to act like you know anything about college basketball!
Disappointed fan

New Britain, CT

#19 Mar 25, 2008
I would strongly agree that there seems to be some erosion in the mens program. Each player has their strong points (either drive, strength, tenacity etc.) but they can't seem to put it together as a team and that make me think its something other than the players.
thetruth

Cambridge, MA

#20 Mar 26, 2008
Disappointed fan wrote:
I would strongly agree that there seems to be some erosion in the mens program. Each player has their strong points (either drive, strength, tenacity etc.) but they can't seem to put it together as a team and that make me think its something other than the players.
Have you ever once pondered the fact that this is still an extremely young team? Have you ever seen a team win anything with 0 seniors on the squad? Look at how much this team has improved from last season and with another year under everyones belt and adrien and austrie adding senior leadership this team will improve even more.

I'm so sick of you spoiled brats who know nothing about the game and bash the team everytime you get the chance?

Hope dyson transfers? Did you watch the game? Do you have any clue at all? As someone mentioned above, dyson put the team on his back and almost got them the win.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Diego State University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Refs struggle with new rules on elbowing | Buck... (Dec '10) Dec '10 southern buckeye 1
News San Diego heads north to take on No. 16 Gonzaga (Feb '10) Feb '10 BEN 1
News Martinez helps New Mexico beat San Diego 57-54 (Dec '08) Dec '08 Rustee 10
News San Diego: Patrick O'Neill named a 2008 Draddy ... (Oct '08) Oct '08 IRISHPOPS 1
News Chargers Make Roster Moves (Sep '08) Sep '08 paul felenczak 3
News Dyson Focusing On Future (Jul '08) Jul '08 Jose 18
News Ajawara to carry torch at Games (Apr '08) Apr '08 naruto5 4
More from around the web