Reports: Odom to Step Down at Season'...

Reports: Odom to Step Down at Season's End

There are 52 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Jan 17, 2008, titled Reports: Odom to Step Down at Season's End. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

Various sources have told News19 that South Carolina men's basketball head coach Dave Odom will announce his retirement, effective at the end of the 2007-08 season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
BBQ chicken

Columbia, SC

#44 Jan 18, 2008
He should have been a football coach, then he could have said his best team will be two years from now. AND everyone would have supported him!!!!
Your mom

Columbia, SC

#45 Jan 18, 2008
THANK THE LORD!

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#46 Jan 18, 2008
Thanks for some of the memories. The 2 NIT championships. He seems to run a clean ship.
John

Little River, SC

#47 Jan 18, 2008
Truly a class act!
SOLID GARNET

Bay Minette, AL

#48 Jan 18, 2008
Good Luck ODOM. Thanks for the years of service. GO COCKS!!!
SOLID GARNET

Bay Minette, AL

#49 Jan 18, 2008
festus wrote:
ron morris needs brain transplant!!!
he wrote that dave odoms highly successful program has ended. poor ron...been in a comma for years. morris is a disgrace to the newspaper as odom was to usc. also, rick henery is in tears on tv about odom. dave, rick and ron..aka curly, larry and moe. dave odom is a joke and his retirement should start today. he has disgraced usc enough. if hyman lets him stay, then hyman needs to leave also. they let greg marshall get away last year...who will they go after now?????hmmmm hyman will likely interview ric flair, lex luger, robin...xena...papa smurf....maybe even oj. this is hymans mindset. he was a mistake also. he might want to retire. anyway, he will do something stupid..wait and see..
Ron Morris is the BIGGEST LOSER in SC. His whole life is spend at one of the worst liberal newspapers in the history. He has not achieved anything in life nor gave back to the community in a positive way. He is a bitter ole man with no life. He has never won Bowl Games, NIT, or made any positive improvement of the state of SC. He speech bad about USC, occassionally Clemson, and how awful the sport are here. No wonder why it is harder to recruit in SC. Who wants to listen to all negative garbage all year---day after day after day...SC will be better off when Ron leaves SC. Never got a promotion to anything higher than a Sport Writer. SAD and hate for the retirement community that he moves into cause he can not live forever.
SOLID GARNET

Bay Minette, AL

#50 Jan 18, 2008
Clemson Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a gamecock fan...and yet you want to pretend you can recognize a basketball powerhouse when you see one? Your credibility doesn't hold much merit! Sorry! Better wait for baseball season, that's the ONLY sport you guys excel in!!! Unless running from the long arm of the law is a sport...and not going to class!
Do not threw stones at a glass house. Clemson has their share of players not attending classes and getting into trouble with the long arm of the law. All schools have their share of issues with student players.
FESTUS

Blythewood, SC

#51 Jan 18, 2008
SOLID GARNET wrote:
<quoted text>
Ron Morris is the BIGGEST LOSER in SC. His whole life is spend at one of the worst liberal newspapers in the history. He has not achieved anything in life nor gave back to the community in a positive way. He is a bitter ole man with no life. He has never won Bowl Games, NIT, or made any positive improvement of the state of SC. He speech bad about USC, occassionally Clemson, and how awful the sport are here. No wonder why it is harder to recruit in SC. Who wants to listen to all negative garbage all year---day after day after day...SC will be better off when Ron leaves SC. Never got a promotion to anything higher than a Sport Writer. SAD and hate for the retirement community that he moves into cause he can not live forever.
I AGREE...I KNOW THIS IS ODOM TALK, BUT, I COULD NOT RESIST BLASTING RON MORRIS. HE IS A PROBLEM FOR SC RECRUITING. HE NEEDS TO GO UP IN THE MOUNTAINS AND RETIRE. WHY DOES THE STATE KEEP HIM? HIS NEGATIVE REMARKS ABOUT SC IS HARMFUL. MORRIS NEEDS TO GO!!! AND WHILE I'M AT IT, ANOTHER TRAITOR OUT THERE IS RICK HENERY OF WIS-TV. HE IS SO BIASED AND PATHETIC. MAYBE ODOM, MORRIS, AND HENERY COULD ALL GO ON A CRUISE OR SOMETHING...TI IRAQ???
The great Predictor

Summerville, SC

#52 Jan 19, 2008
One Love wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a Good Man and Somebody's husband don't win games, and put bodies in the stands. You have got to learn to use what you got.
You know that's
funny. But you have to use what what you got and that's your brain , heart
and respect. You have to also remember that Coach Odom has place more players in the NBA from USC than any other coach that was at USC.

Maybe if tickets were cheaper
bodies would be in the stands.
Coach Odom is a great coach and no doubt I bet college teams and NBA
teams are interested in hiring him.
USC fans should somehow continue to
make the coach feel loved and wanted
and happy. USC and the mean fans will
realized one day the mistake of letting a real true basketball coach
get away.
raleighrules

Myrtle Beach, SC

#53 Jan 21, 2008
You guys have no class. You will never support the basketball team as needed, no matter who becomes the coach. The football team can go 0-11, and there are still 80,000 there to watch. While the basketball team wins the NIT twice(which is more than a lot of schools can say) and you ungrateful "fans" still won't go see them play.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#54 Jan 22, 2008
raleighrules wrote:
You guys have no class. You will never support the basketball team as needed, no matter who becomes the coach. The football team can go 0-11, and there are still 80,000 there to watch. While the basketball team wins the NIT twice(which is more than a lot of schools can say) and you ungrateful "fans" still won't go see them play.
I agree with that. Odom has run a classy program. I hate that he is ending it this way. He has done the most for USC basketball than any coach has since Frank.
One Love

Columbia, SC

#55 Jan 22, 2008
The great Predictor wrote:
<quoted text>You know that's
funny. But you have to use what what you got and that's your brain , heart
and respect. You have to also remember that Coach Odom has place more players in the NBA from USC than any other coach that was at USC.
Maybe if tickets were cheaper
bodies would be in the stands.
Coach Odom is a great coach and no doubt I bet college teams and NBA
teams are interested in hiring him.
USC fans should somehow continue to
make the coach feel loved and wanted
and happy. USC and the mean fans will
realized one day the mistake of letting a real true basketball coach
get away.
He have placed many players in the NBA..But that players, a basketball team consist of 5 players. I'd rather him have a team that plays great together, good ball movement, high percentage shoots, and a good defense, than to have a star player with star stats and a loosing record. Not all of North Carolina or Duke players make to the NBA, but they stay ranked in the TOP TEN every year. Now granted NC has put some of the greatest and dominant players in the league..but they still played good team ball..Asked me, I think he lucked up on a player like Duncan..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Radford University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Berghaus: Packer says he fine without basketball (Mar '09) Mar '09 mtnnative 3
News Despite runaway, Radford can smile (Mar '09) Mar '09 helper 4
News UNC rolls as Hansbrough breaks ACC scoring mark... (Mar '09) Mar '09 mel winstead 1
News Biedenbach: Radford has little chance vs. UNC (Mar '09) Mar '09 Pltm Goddess 3
News Radford ousts UNCA from BSC Tournament (Mar '09) Mar '09 Lets Go 2
News Ward scores 21 as George Mason defeats Radford ... (Dec '08) Dec '08 JDS 1
News Virginia Men's Basketball Edges Radford 68-66 (Nov '08) Nov '08 common sense 3
More from around the web