Cathedral's Barlow chooses Boilermakers

Cathedral's Barlow chooses Boilermakers

There are 121 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Cathedral's Barlow chooses Boilermakers. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Kelsey Barlow, a 6-5 junior guard and forward from Cathedral High School in Indianapolis, has given an oral commitment to play basketball for Purdue and coach Matt Painter.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Jeremy

Bloomington, IN

#21 Sep 13, 2007
wi hoosier wrote:
<quoted text>
us iu fans should remember, calbert cheaney was a beanpole in high school as well. really most 6'5" kids going into their jr. year are beanpoles. you can make a kid stronger and bigger, but you can teach him athleticism.
all we need to know about this kid is that we (iu) offered him a scholarship and purdue got him. we lost one, purdue won one.
Actually in a report from Rivals.com , Barlow claimed that he had no offer from IU, though we had expressed some interest. So you don't seem to actually know anything.

http://purdue.rivals.com/content.asp...
Scottie Pippens Nose

Carmel, IN

#22 Sep 13, 2007
This kid better be careful or he might turn into Cuonzo Martin one day
Donald Trump

Evansville, IN

#23 Sep 13, 2007
andrew toney wrote:
sorry about the grammer....was at work....
Andrew ... You're Fired
Observation

Clearwater, FL

#24 Sep 13, 2007
Scottie Pippens Nose wrote:
These words are brought to you by a Notre Dame football fan and an IU basketball fan.
Purdue student

West Lafayette, IN

#25 Sep 13, 2007
At this point, I put my complete trust in Painter as a recruiter and as a coach, and I think other boiler fans should do so as well. He has been after Jajuan Johnson and E'Twaunn Moore since they were sophomores when nobody really knew that much about them either, but look how it's turned out for us. It doesn't matter how many stars he has next to his name right now, or who's going after him right now, just trust that he will be a productive player.
sampson is homer

Indianapolis, IN

#26 Sep 13, 2007
Wow, super recruiter (by any means necessary) coach Sampson is looking like Homer Simpson when it comes to in state talent.
Chicago Kurt

Boca Raton, FL

#27 Sep 13, 2007
Lets go Hoosiers wrote:
He is listed as 6'5" 170 on rivals. Talk about a beenpole. Either way, though, you have to get those Indiana players when you can. You know you are getting a kid who knows the game of basketball.
Wish I could tell you I knew something about him. He is unlisted on Scout.com for 2009.
IU's Elston pickup yesterday is listed as 4-star and DJ Byrd is listed as 3 star.
Zeller is still the biggest prospect left for 08 and Van Treese from LN is the best unsigned guy left for 09 in Indiana.
Actually, most consider Van Treese to be declining and will likely be passed by 6'9 teammate Jeff Robinson in the future. Van Treese just develooped faster than some of the '09 recruits. His father was a solid player at ND, which shows you he has the DNA needed to develop into a solid player. Hopefully, by the time Kelsey's a senior time will have proven Painter was wise to swoop an early with an offer......
Chicago Kurt

Boca Raton, FL

#28 Sep 13, 2007
Sorry, typing too fast at work. I meant to say Kelsey's father was a solid player at ND....
BOILERUP

United States

#29 Sep 13, 2007
andrew toney wrote:
sorry, but the Hoosiers hired a used car salesman has a coach...he is a cheater and will do whatever to get players....sorry...but wake-up....the days of running a clean program with Bob K are long and gone......not try to be a jerk..this is fact...
<quoted text>
Jerk
Boilers Bright Future

Indianapolis, IN

#30 Sep 13, 2007
Go Hoosiers wrote:
I don't believe Coach Sampson did anything dishonest in text messaging potential recruits...a rules violation, yes, dishonest, absolutely not.
What planet did you just arrive from?!?!? Geesh .. Sanctions not only violated the rules while at Oklahoma he even met with his staff on a regular basis to discuss how to make sure that it stayed covered up! And, while he and his staff were doing this, he was the chairman of the National Association of College Basketball Coaches ETHICS COMMITTEE, no less!!! How you can sit there and say that he did nothing dishonest is a total denial of reality!

And while Sanctions says he is sorry and professes to have "seen the light" and all (yadda, yadda, yadda) since being hired at i.u. let's just remember that past history is the best indicator of future performance. And just like an alcoholic says he will never take another drink .. once the temptation is there in front of him, he'll probably do it again. And really, that was borne out by how he UNETHICALLY handled the Gordon recruitment. Did he technically violate any rules?.. no, I'll grant you that .. but he sure acted like a scumbag in how did it and showed no respect whatsoever for Bruce Weber and Illinois while he was sweet talking in Gordon's ear continuously to get him to decommit from the Illini. If he had any honor and ethics and respect whatsoever he would have stated publicly right at the beginning something like "Out of respect for my fellow Big 10 coach, Bruce Weber, I will not talk to young Mr. Gordon about Indiana unless & until he first publicly states that he is re-opening his recruitment". But no, Sanctions continued his "sneaky" ways .. by hiring one of Gordon's AAU coaches as a what?.. "Video Coordinator" or some other such job!.. and even to the point of perhaps scheduling that Labor Day basketball trip to the Bahamas (where Gordon has family) as an added inducement to get Gordon to renege on his commitment.

No, it's pretty clear that Sanctions is dishonest, unethical, and with few morals when it comes to recruiting basketball players .. and who knows what else he might be doing just to try to win a few basketball games. It was a sad day, indeed, when i.u. resorted to the "win at all costs" mentality such that they would hire a cheater like Sanctions as their head basketball coach. Even Bobby with all his problems looks like a "moral beacon of shining light" compared to Sanctions. Sad, sad, sad.
Boilers Rule

Indianapolis, IN

#31 Sep 13, 2007
He actually is 6'6". Saw him play a few times last year, and he brings a lot to the court-- should be exceptional on defense. One interesting note is the fact that his dad is 6'10 or '11... would be great if he grew another 5" or so before he graduates from Cathedral. Excellent pickup for Coach Painter! Hopefully next is Mr. Zeller... Boiler up!
Boilers Rule

Indianapolis, IN

#32 Sep 13, 2007
Chicago Kurt wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, most consider Van Treese to be declining and will likely be passed by 6'9 teammate Jeff Robinson in the future. Van Treese just develooped faster than some of the '09 recruits. His father was a solid player at ND, which shows you he has the DNA needed to develop into a solid player. Hopefully, by the time Kelsey's a senior time will have proven Painter was wise to swoop an early with an offer......
Stars are usually inaccurate representations of talent, and in no way measure determination and heart. Prime example? Drew Brees was a three star recruit. Enough said.
Brian G

United States

#33 Sep 13, 2007
Purdue wrote:
<quoted text>
IU offered this guy a scholarship.
Incorrect. Barlow is quoted as saying that he had not received an offer from IU.

I would like congratulate Purdue on this pick of a player that seems to have a good deal of potential.

My only question is why can you all not just be happy about your commitment? Why attack IU?

“Mike Tyson ate my children.”

Since: Jan 07

Camby, IN

#34 Sep 13, 2007
Purdue Fan in Wisconsin wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard this from some other chatters. I think what they mean is; when Coach Keady and Coach Knight were going head to head every year , the kids they were recruiting were these really good all-american type kids that a mom would like to see their daughters bring home.
Then towards the end of Coach Keady's tenure and also that of Coach Knight and Davis, they got in the habit of recruiting 'athletes'. Some were of less than outstanding moral characters, tattoos, piercings, etc.... I think that both Coach Painter and Sampson are getting back to recruiting the good basketball players with mostly squeaky clean morals and records.
A average farm kid from Tipton has GOT to be a better kid than some kid from inner-city Detroit when it comes to behavior. So lets go and keep recruiting those good kids from Indiana!! Go PURDUE, go IU!!!!
Sounds a bit bigoted...I agree they should recuit kids with good attitudes, but locale makes no difference. Some of those country boys drink like fish and only care about partyin' and poonanny.
Dude

Detroit, MI

#35 Sep 13, 2007
Jeremy wrote:
Thought Sampson had infractions and sanctions brought against him, they were for actions at Oklahoma, not at IU. Things have changed for him. He apologized and swore it would never happen at IU.
You say this like it shines a better light on IU. Think of it this way... when people get caught breaking the rules, Purdue fires them... IU hires them. It seems Purdue is interested in distancing themselves from cheaters while IU embraces them.
Unconcerned Citizen

Louisville, KY

#36 Sep 13, 2007
I would LOVE if he turned into Cuonzo Martin. Great player, great coach, great person. I honestly couldn't think of a better role model to have in someone's life, and this is from my knowing Coach Martin personally. He is 100% class.
Lets go Hoosiers

United States

#37 Sep 13, 2007
Boilers Bright Future wrote:
<quoted text>
What planet did you just arrive from?!?!? Geesh .. Sanctions not only violated the rules while at Oklahoma he even met with his staff on a regular basis to discuss how to make sure that it stayed covered up! And, while he and his staff were doing this, he was the chairman of the National Association of College Basketball Coaches ETHICS COMMITTEE, no less!!! How you can sit there and say that he did nothing dishonest is a total denial of reality!
And while Sanctions says he is sorry and professes to have "seen the light" and all (yadda, yadda, yadda) since being hired at i.u. let's just remember that past history is the best indicator of future performance. And just like an alcoholic says he will never take another drink .. once the temptation is there in front of him, he'll probably do it again. And really, that was borne out by how he UNETHICALLY handled the Gordon recruitment. Did he technically violate any rules?.. no, I'll grant you that .. but he sure acted like a scumbag in how did it and showed no respect whatsoever for Bruce Weber and Illinois while he was sweet talking in Gordon's ear continuously to get him to decommit from the Illini. If he had any honor and ethics and respect whatsoever he would have stated publicly right at the beginning something like "Out of respect for my fellow Big 10 coach, Bruce Weber, I will not talk to young Mr. Gordon about Indiana unless & until he first publicly states that he is re-opening his recruitment". But no, Sanctions continued his "sneaky" ways .. by hiring one of Gordon's AAU coaches as a what?.. "Video Coordinator" or some other such job!.. and even to the point of perhaps scheduling that Labor Day basketball trip to the Bahamas (where Gordon has family) as an added inducement to get Gordon to renege on his commitment.
No, it's pretty clear that Sanctions is dishonest, unethical, and with few morals when it comes to recruiting basketball players .. and who knows what else he might be doing just to try to win a few basketball games. It was a sad day, indeed, when i.u. resorted to the "win at all costs" mentality such that they would hire a cheater like Sanctions as their head basketball coach. Even Bobby with all his problems looks like a "moral beacon of shining light" compared to Sanctions. Sad, sad, sad.
THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE TO STOP DOING. I SEE SOME OF YOU AGREE BY WHAT YOU ARE POSTING THAT YOU DONT LIKE TO SEE THESE TYPES OF COMMENTS ON HERE. THE CONCERN OVER THESE COMMENTS ARE COMING FROM IU AND PU PEOPLE. EVERYONE NEEDS TO STOP IT BEFORE WE NO LONGER HAVE THESE MESSAGE BOARDS TO EXPRESS OUR OPINIONS. I HAVE A FRIEND IN THE SPORTS DEPARTMENT AT THE INDYSTAR AND HE TELLS ME THAT THEY WATCH THESE POSTS VERY CAREFULLY NOW AND THEY ARENT FAR FROM TAKING THEM AWAY PERMANENTLY BECAUSE OF SOME OF THE STUFF THEY READ ON HERE. THEY CAN ALSO BLOCK POSTS FROM SPECIFIED IP ADDRESSES.

I KNOW WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENCES OF OPINION WHEN IT COMES TO OUR ALMA MATERS, BUT FOR THE SAKE OF BEING ABLE TO SHARE OUR OPINIONS WITH EACH OTHER, CAN WE PLEASE SHELVE THE HATEFUL COMMENTS?

YOU DIDNT EVEN MAKE A REFERENCE TO THE PLAYER PU RECRUITED. YOU ARE EXCLUSIVELY TRYING TO START AN ARGUMENT AND ITS IN NO ONES BEST INTEREST.
Boilers Bright Future

Indianapolis, IN

#38 Sep 13, 2007
Jeremy wrote:
<quoted text>
We have a clean program at IU. We've never had sanctions against IU because no one has ever been caught cheating at IU. Thought Sampson had infractions and sanctions brought against him, they were for actions at Oklahoma, not at IU. Things have changed for him. He apologized and swore it would never happen at IU. Purdue is another story, they've been caught several times cheating...this is fact.
The ONLY thing that Sanctions is, and ever will be, "sorry" about is that he got CAUGHT cheating. He sounds just like a cheating spouse who, once caught, just apologizes up and down and begs for forgiveness and swears to their spouse that it will never happen again .. and then promptly goes out and cheats all over again. Only the next time they are just more clever & devious about it, having learned a lesson from getting caught the previous time. Nope, Sanctions will cheat again .. but he'll just be more devious about the next time. Well I should phrase that .. that in all liklihood he's ALREADY BEEN more devious about it!

Oh yeah, I do agree with one statement you made .. the "no one has ever been caught cheating at IU" .. keywords there being "ever been caught" .. but give Sanctions time .. I predict he'll make you eat those words.

“Go Colts!”

Since: Jun 07

Dodgeville, WI

#39 Sep 13, 2007
Jeremy wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually in a report from Rivals.com , Barlow claimed that he had no offer from IU, though we had expressed some interest. So you don't seem to actually know anything.
http://purdue.rivals.com/content.asp...
i wouldn't say i know nothing. but you could be correct, i took an earlier post that said he had an offer from iu.

my point was that everytime purdue signs someone that we offered people on hear bash the kid. and vice versa.
Wayne

Lafayette, IN

#40 Sep 13, 2007
Wouldn't that be a great thing? Cuonzo Martin is a former pro basketball player, college standout, and a great coach. Not to mention he looked cancer in the eye and beat it. If Barlow turns out to be Cuonzo Martin one day, not only would we have an outstanding basketball player, we would have an outstanding young man as well! I'm not sure I understand your post????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Purdue Boilermakers Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Haas Leads Purdue Past Grambling State, 82-30 (Nov '14) Nov '14 ngzcaz 1
News WL grad impresses Purdue staff (Aug '12) Aug '13 Bishop LL Lace 2
News Arizona banking on tournament surge (Mar '07) Jan '09 thetruthbroham 27
News No real advantage for Pacers to play way into t... (Jul '08) Jul '08 segun 1
News Flames Land Former Purdue Player (Jun '08) Jun '08 DHD 1
News Indiana Fever sign former Boilermaker forward (Apr '08) Apr '08 nae 1
News Purdue outlasts IU in Big 10 women's tourney (Mar '08) Mar '08 NCAA 29
More from around the web