Cathedral's Barlow chooses Boilermakers

Kelsey Barlow, a 6-5 junior guard and forward from Cathedral High School in Indianapolis, has given an oral commitment to play basketball for Purdue and coach Matt Painter. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Lets go Hoosiers

United States

#1 Sep 13, 2007
He is listed as 6'5" 170 on rivals. Talk about a beenpole. Either way, though, you have to get those Indiana players when you can. You know you are getting a kid who knows the game of basketball.

Wish I could tell you I knew something about him. He is unlisted on Scout.com for 2009.

IU's Elston pickup yesterday is listed as 4-star and DJ Byrd is listed as 3 star.

Zeller is still the biggest prospect left for 08 and Van Treese from LN is the best unsigned guy left for 09 in Indiana.
Shelly Dubinski

Evansville, IN

#2 Sep 13, 2007
Nice pick up for the Boilers. Painter has really worked the state and it is paying off huge dividends. His Dad was a great player for ND.
Same Kind

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Sep 13, 2007
Painter must like those big skinny guys. That guy from Franklin is about the same size...
Purdue

Collinsville, MS

#4 Sep 13, 2007
Lets go Hoosiers wrote:
He is listed as 6'5" 170 on rivals. Talk about a beenpole. Either way, though, you have to get those Indiana players when you can. You know you are getting a kid who knows the game of basketball.
Wish I could tell you I knew something about him. He is unlisted on Scout.com for 2009.
IU's Elston pickup yesterday is listed as 4-star and DJ Byrd is listed as 3 star.
Zeller is still the biggest prospect left for 08 and Van Treese from LN is the best unsigned guy left for 09 in Indiana.
IU offered this guy a scholarship.

Landry and Teague were rated the same as Barlow, and Painter turned both of them into All Big Ten players.

Keady's problem was always that he couldn't recruit. He had one year that he had a better class than Knight (yet he still had a winning recrod against Knight). Painter has turned that around, as he is getting players that IU and Kentukcy offer to.

Purdue incoming class is ranked Top 5 this year, and that was even before they beat out Kentucky for that JC player Calasan; they are ranked even higher after signing him.

Here's what some of the recruit's coaches had to say about Painter:

Calasan's coach said: "The other thing is that Nemanja knows coach Painter is a great person. In this business, it's difficult to know who is telling the truth and who isn't. With coach Painter, there's something more to him than just basketball."

Ryne Smith's coach had this to say about Painter and Purdue: "You expect at the Big Ten level, you're going to get professional treatment, and they were off the charts. Everything was done right. A lot of other schools we talked to should take a page out of (Purdue's) notebook to see how it's done. Everything was above board."

Oh, and here's what Hoosier Scoop itself reported about No. 1 recruit Tyler Zeller:

"Here’s an interesting line Zeller said about Purdue’s coaches:“The coaches are truthful. There’s nothing suspicious about them.”"

Hmmm......does it look as if all of these coaches and Zeller are trying to say that IU and Kelvin Sanctions are the opposite of truthful and honest?

Read between the lines......
Thomas

Lincoln, NE

#5 Sep 13, 2007
POTFH.... This kid still has 2 years to fine tune his game. He should be a nice piece to what Painter is building here!
come on

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Sep 13, 2007
Lets go Hoosiers wrote:
He is listed as 6'5" 170 on rivals. Talk about a beenpole.
The kid is just starting his JUNIOR year of high school; give him a break! He probably just went through a major growth spurt. Give this kid a couple more years, some dorm food, some weight room time, and he'll be filled out nicely.

Welcome to the Boilers, Kelsey! WE ARE THRILLED TO HAVE YOU!
Fran Romero

Louisville, KY

#7 Sep 13, 2007
Are we ever going to be able to stop calling Coach Sampson a dishonest person? I am an IU fan but I am happy that Purdue got this young man. I think he will definately be an asset. Congratulations! My passion is basketball and I think we will have a fun year this season, so let's keep our posts friendly.
Boiler Joe

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Sep 13, 2007
Painter is doing a helluva job putting this team together. Now let's see if he can produce in the win column!!
Go Hoosiers

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#9 Sep 13, 2007
First of all, congrats to Coach Painter and the Purdue staff on getting this young man. Secondly, the schools in Indiana are finally recruiting Indiana talent. I, being an IU Fan, will not sit here and bash the Purdue athletic program (nor any other Indiana College/University program) nor their coaching staffs. Now it is time for the other fans of these great universities to stop doing it as well. Coach Sampson, Coach Brey, and Coach Painter are all respectable people and don't deserve being belittled on some webpage. I don't believe Coach Sampson did anything dishonest in text messaging potential recruits...a rules violation, yes, dishonest, absolutely not.
Another Hoosier Fan

United States

#10 Sep 13, 2007
Congrats Purdue! I agree with Fran. Just because someone called a player a beanpole, there starts the defense because the name "Hoosier" is there. Had that said "Purdue" would the defense have been there??? It is so sad that we can't compete but be supportive off the field and court. I have a son and a daughter previously at IU but I still root for the Boilers because after all they are part of the state also. Get a life-all of you! Way to go Purdue on a great recruit!
Will

Burnet, TX

#11 Sep 13, 2007
I am an IU fan and i said this yesterday about their commitment from the Tipton player. It is almost getting ridiculous that every time IU or Purdue signs an Indiana high school player that guy is supposedly a great recruit. I dont buy it at all just because they are from Indiana does not mean a damn thing.
Fran Romero

Louisville, KY

#12 Sep 13, 2007
Thank you, Go Hoosiers. You expressed my sentiments perfectly. I love my State and the wonderful educationsl institutions of higher learning therein and I don't deny that basketball brings much joy into my life. I follow each conference, Big Ten being my favorite, of course, but it is fun when March Madness gets here to have an idea of who's who in the conferences.
Purdue Fan in Wisconsin

Milwaukee, WI

#13 Sep 13, 2007
Will wrote:
I am an IU fan and i said this yesterday about their commitment from the Tipton player. It is almost getting ridiculous that every time IU or Purdue signs an Indiana high school player that guy is supposedly a great recruit. I dont buy it at all just because they are from Indiana does not mean a damn thing.
I've heard this from some other chatters. I think what they mean is; when Coach Keady and Coach Knight were going head to head every year , the kids they were recruiting were these really good all-american type kids that a mom would like to see their daughters bring home.
Then towards the end of Coach Keady's tenure and also that of Coach Knight and Davis, they got in the habit of recruiting 'athletes'. Some were of less than outstanding moral characters, tattoos, piercings, etc.... I think that both Coach Painter and Sampson are getting back to recruiting the good basketball players with mostly squeaky clean morals and records.
A average farm kid from Tipton has GOT to be a better kid than some kid from inner-city Detroit when it comes to behavior. So lets go and keep recruiting those good kids from Indiana!! Go PURDUE, go IU!!!!
andrew toney

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Sep 13, 2007
sorry, but the Hoosiers hired a used car salesman has a coach...he is a cheater and will do whatever to get players....sorry...but wake-up....the days of running a clean program with Bob K are long and gone......not try to be a jerk..this is fact...
Go Hoosiers wrote:
First of all, congrats to Coach Painter and the Purdue staff on getting this young man. Secondly, the schools in Indiana are finally recruiting Indiana talent. I, being an IU Fan, will not sit here and bash the Purdue athletic program (nor any other Indiana College/University program) nor their coaching staffs. Now it is time for the other fans of these great universities to stop doing it as well. Coach Sampson, Coach Brey, and Coach Painter are all respectable people and don't deserve being belittled on some webpage. I don't believe Coach Sampson did anything dishonest in text messaging potential recruits...a rules violation, yes, dishonest, absolutely not.
andrew toney

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Sep 13, 2007
sorry about the grammer....was at work....

“Go Colts!”

Since: Jun 07

Dodgeville, WI

#16 Sep 13, 2007
Purdue wrote:
<quoted text>
IU offered this guy a scholarship.
Landry and Teague were rated the same as Barlow, and Painter turned both of them into All Big Ten players.
Keady's problem was always that he couldn't recruit. He had one year that he had a better class than Knight (yet he still had a winning recrod against Knight). Painter has turned that around, as he is getting players that IU and Kentukcy offer to.
Purdue incoming class is ranked Top 5 this year, and that was even before they beat out Kentucky for that JC player Calasan; they are ranked even higher after signing him.
Here's what some of the recruit's coaches had to say about Painter:
Calasan's coach said: "The other thing is that Nemanja knows coach Painter is a great person. In this business, it's difficult to know who is telling the truth and who isn't. With coach Painter, there's something more to him than just basketball."
Ryne Smith's coach had this to say about Painter and Purdue: "You expect at the Big Ten level, you're going to get professional treatment, and they were off the charts. Everything was done right. A lot of other schools we talked to should take a page out of (Purdue's) notebook to see how it's done. Everything was above board."
Oh, and here's what Hoosier Scoop itself reported about No. 1 recruit Tyler Zeller:
"Here’s an interesting line Zeller said about Purdue’s coaches:“The coaches are truthful. There’s nothing suspicious about them.”"
Hmmm......does it look as if all of these coaches and Zeller are trying to say that IU and Kelvin Sanctions are the opposite of truthful and honest?
Read between the lines......
if zeller thought that sampson was being dishonest he would not have iu in his final list. i'm sure he is generalizing a comment about coaches selling him on their school, telling him what they think he wants to hear. nice try though.
I am with most of you

Antioch, IL

#17 Sep 13, 2007
As a diehard boilermaker I love to see IU lose more than anyone but more than that I would love to see the passion of what it used to be because IU and Purdue basketball were both really good. Over that I love the fact that we (as in IU, Purdue and ND, etc) are starting to keep the quality Indiana high school kids in-state instead of them going to Duke or North Carolina. I would love to see 6 Indiana colleges back in the NCAA tournament or 5 with no IU is fine too.

“Go Colts!”

Since: Jun 07

Dodgeville, WI

#18 Sep 13, 2007
Lets go Hoosiers wrote:
us iu fans should remember, calbert cheaney was a beanpole in high school as well. really most 6'5" kids going into their jr. year are beanpoles. you can make a kid stronger and bigger, but you can teach him athleticism.

all we need to know about this kid is that we (iu) offered him a scholarship and purdue got him. we lost one, purdue won one.
ChipotleJC

Grand Prairie, TX

#19 Sep 13, 2007
I know.....DeEntree Thomas has artery clogs bigger than Johnson.
Jeremy

Bloomington, IN

#20 Sep 13, 2007
andrew toney wrote:
sorry, but the Hoosiers hired a used car salesman has a coach...he is a cheater and will do whatever to get players....sorry...but wake-up....the days of running a clean program with Bob K are long and gone......not try to be a jerk..this is fact...
<quoted text>
We have a clean program at IU. We've never had sanctions against IU because no one has ever been caught cheating at IU. Thought Sampson had infractions and sanctions brought against him, they were for actions at Oklahoma, not at IU. Things have changed for him. He apologized and swore it would never happen at IU. Purdue is another story, they've been caught several times cheating...this is fact.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Purdue Boilermakers Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WL grad impresses Purdue staff (Aug '12) Aug '13 Bishop LL Lace 2
Arizona banking on tournament surge (Mar '07) Jan '09 thetruthbroham 27
No real advantage for Pacers to play way into t... (Jul '08) Jul '08 segun 1
Flames Land Former Purdue Player (Jun '08) Jun '08 DHD 1
Indiana Fever sign former Boilermaker forward (Apr '08) Apr '08 nae 1
Purdue outlasts IU in Big 10 women's tourney (Mar '08) Mar '08 NCAA 29
Scrappy Boilers still have work to do (Mar '08) Mar '08 boilerdan 13

Purdue Boilermakers Women's Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE