OSU men's basketball: Tense times | B...

OSU men's basketball: Tense times | BuckeyeXtra

There are 73 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Feb 22, 2011, titled OSU men's basketball: Tense times | BuckeyeXtra. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Ten questions into a nearly half-hour interview yesterday, coach Thad Matta was asked whether he likes playing again two days after a loss or if he would have preferred more time to prepare Ohio State for tonight's game against Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Not good enough

Columbus, OH

#1 Feb 22, 2011
No reason to panic. They're just not good enough for a deep tournament run. Not their fault, they're just not good enough.
Stuck in the Stone Age

Atlanta, GA

#2 Feb 22, 2011
In Matta I trust, Final Four or bust!!!
ImUrPO

Wellington, OH

#3 Feb 22, 2011
I dont understand why everyones freaking out. Ohio State lost 2 games !! 2 games people !! Oh yah, the two games they lost were @ Wisconsin & Purdue. Both top 15 teams. So, whats all the fuss about ? People need to relax.

Now, there is a couple things that worry me. Aaron Craft, hes turning the ball over alot the last couple games. In the Purdue game, you could see he was way out of control. Coach Matta has to sit him down & tell him to relax. I'm not impressed with David Lighty the last couple games either. Hes playing out of control & he cant make a Freakin foul shot. Can someone please tell me how a Shooting Guard goes 5 - 10 at the free throw line ? I expected alot more from him. Dallas Lauderdale, enought said on this one.

All in all, Ohio States fine. They have their problems, but in late February, who doesn't.

GO BUCKEYES !!!
ImUrPO

Wellington, OH

#4 Feb 22, 2011
Stuck in the Stone Age wrote:
In Matta I trust, Final Four or bust!!!
I wouldn't say the season was a bust if they didn't get to the Final Four.
Go Bucks

Columbus, OH

#5 Feb 22, 2011
ImUrPO wrote:
I dont understand why everyones freaking out. Ohio State lost 2 games !! 2 games people !! Oh yah, the two games they lost were @ Wisconsin & Purdue. Both top 15 teams. So, whats all the fuss about ? People need to relax.
Now, there is a couple things that worry me. Aaron Craft, hes turning the ball over alot the last couple games. In the Purdue game, you could see he was way out of control. Coach Matta has to sit him down & tell him to relax. I'm not impressed with David Lighty the last couple games either. Hes playing out of control & he cant make a Freakin foul shot. Can someone please tell me how a Shooting Guard goes 5 - 10 at the free throw line ? I expected alot more from him. Dallas Lauderdale, enought said on this one.
All in all, Ohio States fine. They have their problems, but in late February, who doesn't.
GO BUCKEYES !!!
You made some really good points here. Maybe we are fortunate that they are 25-2.
jeff

Westerville, OH

#6 Feb 22, 2011
PANIC!!! about what? 2 loses so far. I am thrilled
rbc

Columbus, OH

#7 Feb 22, 2011
It has been a great season-
hope they can hang on for either the regular season or tournament Big 10 title.
They will have similar results to the last 2 years -either out in the 1st or 2nd round unfortunately.
ImUrPO wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't say the season was a bust if they didn't get to the Final Four.
lewrod

Medina, OH

#8 Feb 22, 2011
The loss of kosta goofus has hurt tremendously. His ability as a mascot was under appreciated.
gmyers

Banner Elk, NC

#9 Feb 22, 2011
I really think that alot of the blame regarding the loss has to go to the environment in which they were playing. if only the Schott could be so deafening!
Also, I may be the only one with this opinion, but Jon Diebler needs some help and more looks! He obviously is one of the better shooters in the country, but gets no consistant screens (i.e. Steve Alford)and rarely gets quality looks. I also think that he could help himself more by going to the basket off the dribble with the intent to score, not pass. With people like Lighty and Thomas all too eager to fire away as soon as they touch it in the front court, Diebler and Buford should be the first options in a screen and shoot scenario. A shooting Diebler helps Sullinger immensely!!
mph20

United States

#10 Feb 22, 2011
can we please get through an article without talking about football? we are thought of as a football school because that what the media tells us we are. only a few schools can fill a basketball arena like we can. we've been to 10 Final Fours. Give the basketball team their due during basketball season!!
Steve Irwin

Columbus, OH

#11 Feb 22, 2011
Translation: That's why I play a cupcake non-con schedule. We can't handle adversity, especially on the road. In reality, much like the football team, 90% of our games are against teams we can beat on talent alone, and it's a 50/50 proposition at best when we finally run into a team with equal or close to equal talent.
jamesgang

Solon, OH

#12 Feb 22, 2011
Good thing OSU doesn't play two good teams back to back in the tournament.
vwiggins

Holland, OH

#13 Feb 22, 2011
The players can only do so much when only 7 players (really 6) play the majority of the minutes in a super-tough division. Matta needs to give those players a rest and extend the bench to 9 players. Giving Lenzelle and Jordan a few minutes a game can keep Craft, Buford, Lighty and Diebler fresh so that they continue to make good decisions and play well. If we don't give them a more rest during games, they will hit the wall come both tournaments. This is necessary for physical AND MENTAL rejuvenation.

Also, I agree with another writer, Diebler needs many more looks. I know teams have scouted and are giving him very little room to get off but going to Sullenger down low does not reverse momentum like a Diebler three. The percentage is higher down low but Diebler obviously has done well over the years.

Lastly, Lauderdale is good but can be much more useful if he truly focuses on being a good rebounder. He has all of the physical tools. He just really needs to concentrate on boxing out and being the first one to the ball.
tharvey

Lehigh Acres, FL

#14 Feb 22, 2011
Toughness? Hell no it's tiredness. Coach! Play more guys...your team runs out of gas toward the end of too many games, even against mediocre teams.
Brutus

United States

#15 Feb 22, 2011
Steve Irwin wrote:
Translation: That's why I play a cupcake non-con schedule. We can't handle adversity, especially on the road. In reality, much like the football team, 90% of our games are against teams we can beat on talent alone, and it's a 50/50 proposition at best when we finally run into a team with equal or close to equal talent.
OSU won at FL and at FSU.
OKOSU

Oklahoma City, OK

#16 Feb 22, 2011
In a schedule that has 30+ games, one should not panic over a loss to ranked teams. Keep in mind the young men playing on the teams that beat you were highly recruited and good players they just don't play for us. I am proud of our team and believe we will end up in the final four. It would have been great if we were undefeated going into the tournament but we are not and neither is any other team. We will gain our composure and toughness and winning ways. GO BUCKS!!!!!
Brutus

United States

#17 Feb 22, 2011
tharvey wrote:
Toughness? Hell no it's tiredness. Coach! Play more guys...your team runs out of gas toward the end of too many games, even against mediocre teams.
Do you guys research before you post? Sibert isn't ready to play more minutes and that is why he is not playing. Lenzelle Smith has a wrist injury. JD Weatherspoon is ineligible. Thomas is what is left and he is not doing what is expected.

Again I ask everyone here this question, how many of you predicted that the Ohio State Buckeyes would only have 2 losses going into tonight's game against ILL? Raise your hand.
Brutus

United States

#18 Feb 22, 2011
jamesgang wrote:
Good thing OSU doesn't play two good teams back to back in the tournament.
Good thing is that the tournament games are on neutral courts.
Brutus

United States

#19 Feb 22, 2011
Steve Irwin wrote:
Ask MSU Spartans how that tough non conf schedule is helping them out at this point in the season. The buckeyes beat FL, FSU and South Carolina. Oh how did you like that win in the Sugar Bowl by the buckeyes?
fact checker

Austin, TX

#20 Feb 22, 2011
I agree that playing 5 guys to death isn't the smartest thing to do- Siebert might be ready if he played more during cupcake time. I don't know about Smith's injury. Thomas might be better if he too played more during cupcake time. I know Kecman is injured and JD is ineligible but shouldn't/don't we have 2 more scholarship players? Having a short roster has been a problem ever since Oden,Conley & Cook left. Seems to me recruiting a few more solid academic types who can play and will stay 4 years is a good idea.

I still wonder about Matta's bench coaching. I don't remember him ever making an adjustment that turned a game around. I'm sure he has, I just don't remember.

And as for 2 losses being a concern, in and of themselves they are not but remember the Bucks have had a number of close call wins.

My guess is they win 2 in the NCAA's and lose in the 16 if they run up against a team that shoots well from outside a la Wisconsin/Purdue.

I also agree with the lack of screens for Diebler and Buford-although Buford is better at getting his own shot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Purdue Boilermakers NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
It Is Time To Seriously Question Matt Painter (Dec '14) Dec '14 Jason1979 1
News Beat writers discuss Indiana-Purdue game (Feb '14) Feb '14 arja4444 1
News 50 Days To Purdue Basketball: Travis Carroll (Sep '13) Sep '13 Teund5 1
News Brandon Brantley excited to be back with Purdue... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Source 1
Purdue Basketball Intro Music (Mar '08) Mar '13 maintain48 5
News Rams continue NCAA Tournament charge in clash w... (Mar '11) Jan '13 TopMod9 3
News Joseph and Triche on Wooden Award Preseason List (Oct '10) Feb '12 bruno piretti- 7
More from around the web