Without Dyson, Austrie Stays Cool

There are 9 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Feb 3, 2008, titled Without Dyson, Austrie Stays Cool. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

T here won't be any dancing around this issue, so let's go: Are the Huskies better off in the backcourt with cool Craig Austrie next to A.J. Price, rather than Jerome Dyson? The immediate answer is ... you ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

tyler drew

North Westchester, CT

#1 Feb 3, 2008
Desmond, I think Dyson should come in off the bench when he come's back from suspention. What a difference in the Huskies since Austrie has been inserted in the starting lineup. A.J. Price is the leader of the Huskies and now you can see how Austrie compliment's Price. The game almost looks simple now. Calhoun should leave this team alone at this point and let Dyson earn those minutes back, while keeping Austrie in the starting lineup.
richde

AOL

#2 Feb 3, 2008
You are on point here.

The facts are that Dyson is a terrific player but not willing to play with the team. In fact he is disruptive to team play.

Without him the team is back to playing Calhoun ball and once again shows what a super coach he is.

The big surprise for me is just how disruptive Dyson was to Price which is apparent in Price's comments. And just how good Price is at the point.

Austrie in many ways reminds me of Tate George-smart, works very hard and plays defense.

If Dyson returns he must decide to be part of the team. He must show respect for them-something which to date he has not done.
Robert in Raleigh

Raleigh, NC

#3 Feb 3, 2008
Craig Austrie has the ability of Talik Brown who also was in and out of the line up. Craig can and Talik could quarteback the team and distribute and not have to be the guy to score. Talik better on defense although Craig could be the #1 scoring option when needed. I like a junior of Craigs total plyed minutes in the starting line up. Could use Dyson as instant energy and offense.
DCHusky

Pleasanton, CA

#4 Feb 3, 2008
Dyson should not return, period. By March, this team as currently configured will have chemistry....Dyson is no longer a catalyst (if he ever was). How many "big games" could he have contributed to since he's been at UCONN, anyway?
Mike McManus

Hamden, CT

#5 Feb 3, 2008
A good article Desmond and I also agree with most of the comments. Dyson may not like Price's evaluation, however A.J. is right-on. Dyson is athletic, but he had a lot of turnovers trying to dribble thru zones and make the crowd pleasing dunks...but I tired of his attitude and chest-thumping, like the football stars that feel they have to do the end-zone celebrations. The UCONN team defense has definitely improved in his absence as has been stated above,
UConn follower

Belmont, NH

#6 Feb 3, 2008
Austrie has stepped up big time and is really fitting in which is great- Dyson's return will only add to UConn's explosiveness- the kids got talent and he and the team will benefit from his presence- despite the haters from previous posts I know him to be a smart aggressive player who will learn from his mistakes and do the team proud on both offense and defense. I agree that he will have to earn his starting spot back.
mclacasse

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Feb 3, 2008
Craig has always been the calming effect in a rough sea, he's a Kevin Ollie type of guard blue collar no frills get it done, trouble is Calhoun wants it at a franetic pace and Craig doesn't fit there, he could start at the point for Georgetown in the Princton offense, I think the bigest contributor other than Austrie has ben Beverly now that kid has showed some exceptional poise during these last few games and his defense has been pretty solid, the confidence is building and the wins are piling up UCONN will be there at the end, they will be a tough out for anybody they play.....go UCONN.... Big East rules
Kat

Bethany, CT

#8 Feb 4, 2008
Isn't it interesting...the success the team finally has in the absence of the starter Dyson? I've been a Craig Austrie fan since he got to UCONN and am glad to see him have the opportunity to do so well. He's a class act and team player and Dyson could take a few lessons from him-even A.J. admits it!
concerned

Silver Spring, MD

#9 Feb 5, 2008
It is amazing to see how fast the table can turn. Dyson has always been a team player and will continue to be. He has never had anything negative to say about any of his teamates. He made some mistakes and now he has to earn his place on the team back. There is no way possible that AJ Price or anyone else can blame Jerome for the team not playing as a team. Take a look at last year. Kicking a teamate when their down does not sound like team play to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Providence Friars NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cooley, Cotton Have Providence College Moving I... (Feb '13) Feb '13 hoopsterluvr 1
News Cooley committed to winning at Providence (Jul '11) Jul '11 Evans 1
News W.Va. 93, PC 63: Mountaineers level bewildered ... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Paul D 1
News After tough summer, Friars moving on (Nov '10) Nov '10 bigdaddyo 1
News Jamine Peterson dismissed from PC hoop program (Jun '10) Jun '10 Ryan 1
News Keno Davis hints at wholesale change after Fria... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Paul D 1
News Sharaud Curry nominated for Bob Cousy award (Dec '09) Dec '09 Los 1
More from around the web