Aggies hold off Prairie View, get Wal...

Aggies hold off Prairie View, get Walker first win in head-coac...

There are 27 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Sep 12, 2009, titled Aggies hold off Prairie View, get Walker first win in head-coac.... In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

DeWayne Walker doesn't care about style points. He cares about wins. On Saturday night, the New Mexico State Aggie football team was able to get its first-year head coach the inaugural win of his career, a 21-18 home triumph over Prairie View A&M. Up 21-3 early in the fourth quarter, the Aggies nearly let their lead slip away.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wow

Clovis, NM

#1 Sep 12, 2009
3 Points? Aggies beat a lousy I-AA team by 3 points at home? This is going to be a rough season.
Agree

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Sep 12, 2009
Yep. Now the bandwagon fans will say the Ags will upset Ohio State - ha ha
scholar

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Sep 12, 2009
pitiful
rapier

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Sep 13, 2009
A win is nice, but really, do you think UTEP is going to let the Aggies go up 21-3 and hold on for the win? The Miners see the Aggies as the only sure win in the first five games.

NMSU better figure it out quickly or they will be 1-2 late Saturday.

PGM

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Sep 13, 2009
Nice job Aggies but don't let it go to your head too soon. Good luck with the I-10 rivals down the road. You're gonna need it!
AGGIES08

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Sep 13, 2009
Gee lets all get together and PTL that the Aggies were
able to hang on.

This is ridiculous - a DIV I team playing the next level
down and just barely squeezing uot a win.....

At times NMSU performance was flat out embarrasing and
enemic - its a good thing the game did not go another
5 minutes the score would have been much different.

Enjoy the one win - might be all you get.
first win

Oakland, CA

#7 Sep 13, 2009
first win or last win ???
Madhat77

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Sep 13, 2009
Jesus people it is a rebuilding year. You can't expect Walker to come in here change the entire strategy of the program and expect amazing results with barely half of a recruiting class and the left-overs from Mumme's second string?

Give the man a few seasons and I bet he can improve this team by leaps and bounds. I'm not saying he can turn NMSU into a powerhouse, but I bet that given enough time he can make it a much more competitive team in the WAC.
Aggie Boy

Thermal, CA

#9 Sep 13, 2009
Are the stats for Flemming correct? 63 yds passing and they left him in?
VVV

Las Cruces, NM

#10 Sep 13, 2009
I sat next to a couple of NFL scouts who knew some men in town at the P.V.A & M game.

They were asked who was better, NMSU or UTEP.

Responce was UTEP has a very smart O-Line and talented young running backs still learning to play. Their biggest weakness in their D-Line (little experience and poor talent and Defensive backfield. NMSU will have to throw the ball more.

The defensive backfield of the Aggies is much better than UTEP. Positive comments were made about the position coaches on offense for NMSU.

They were surprised that both NMSU and UTEP could not recruit better talent.
Pete

United States

#11 Sep 13, 2009
Was this a Div. 1 game or a junior college game?
norman

Farmington, NM

#12 Sep 13, 2009
Jesus people it is a rebuilding year. You can't expect Walker to come in here change the entire strategy of the program and expect amazing results with barely half of a recruiting class and the left-overs from Mumme's second string.

They have been rebuilding, every year, What a bunch of bull. They won what. Now they can brag on a winning season with that win.
jdl

United States

#13 Sep 13, 2009
Hey aggies, a better high school football team is coming to town next weekend, enjoy your only win of the year ok.
cooleets

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Sep 13, 2009
This will probably be the only win on the season for the Aggies. I know that if you give Walker the chance to recruit his style of players over the next few season he will rebuild the Aggies into a more competitive team. Only thing that sucks is that not all of the fans realize this and will be calling for the resignation or termination of Walker. Let cooler heads prevail and get this team on the right track first. Congratulations Coach Walker on your first win here at NMSU. Good luck in the future.
AgFAN

Las Cruces, NM

#15 Sep 13, 2009
I am pleased that the Aggies won their game against PVAM. As and Aggie fan, I'll take any football win. They just don't get enough of them. I like the direct approach to the game. Keep it simple. Emphsize the basics. Keep focused. The passing game will come along. Running the ball and sound defense wins games. If you're looking for flash and dash, go to the high school games, or find coash Mumme. Live by the pass - die by the pass - and we did for 4 years. I have been an Aggie supporter for nearly 38 years. I am hopeful that this team matures into a very effective, focused, deliberate and successful team. As Aggie fans, we don't care where the wins come from. We are full of thanks when we get them!
Loyal Aggie

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Sep 13, 2009
I saw three solid quarters of football from NMSU tonight. The team and fans alike went elsewhere in the fourth. Does Las Cruces know it's okay to stay in the stands when we're winning? Overall, I am ecstatic about the first Aggie win under Walker. Bring on Bootep.
pink

Encino, NM

#17 Sep 13, 2009
The only good thing about Aggies flagball is the pink thing.
LC Native

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Sep 13, 2009
The thing that bugs me the most is the lack of strategic play calling. This was Mumme's biggest downfall and what I saw last night wasn't any different.

Near the end of the game when PVA&M was going for a 2-point conversion the play clock was down to 2 seconds and they weren't even close to being set. They were going to have to take a delay of game penalty or burn one of their two last timeouts.

The referee blows their whistle. Timeout - NEW MEXICO STATE!!! We tried hard to give away the game with poor playcalling and time management.
LC Native

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Sep 13, 2009
Not to mention a key drive late in the first quarter was killed early by a delay of game penalty on a CHANGE OF POSSESSION!!!
LC Native

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Sep 13, 2009
Edit: Fourth quarter not first quarter

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prairie View A&M University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hugee leads Prairie View to 69-63 victory in OT (Apr '10) Apr '10 dflex 1
News Prairie View A&M beats Alabama State 56-55 (Feb '10) Feb '10 Antwone 1
News Menzies wants Aggies tested before conference play (Dec '09) Dec '09 Brigand 2
News Prairie View tops Alcorn State 34-14, wins title (Nov '09) Nov '09 E J Smith 2
News Aggies hold off Prairie View, get Walker first ... (Sep '09) Sep '09 REAL fan 4
News New Mexico State slides past Prairie View 21-18 (Sep '09) Sep '09 Taco 1
News Chapin High graduate Stoney Owens finding his n... (Sep '09) Sep '09 dogteam 1
More from around the web