Wildfire Forces Malibu Evacuations

MALIBU, Calif. -- A wildfire driven by powerful winds in the Malibu Hills Sunday threatened a university, destroyed at least one home and forced the evacuation of hundreds more, authorities said. Full Story
concerned

Fremont, CA

#1 Oct 21, 2007
My prayers go out to all of you who have lost and are being threatened. Never experience this but couldnt imagine. Prayers go out to our firefighters and police for they have a battle to content. I pray they remain safe and when the tough gets going let them realize that a home can be rebuilt but a life cant.

Since: Oct 07

Turlock, Ca

#2 Oct 21, 2007
concerned wrote:
My prayers go out to all of you who have lost and are being threatened. Never experience this but couldnt imagine. Prayers go out to our firefighters and police for they have a battle to content. I pray they remain safe and when the tough gets going let them realize that a home can be rebuilt but a life cant.
Very well stated
bobsdogs

Citrus Heights, CA

#3 Oct 21, 2007
Wonder if any of the firefighters are getting extra incentives or pay for going down to so cal. I am sure they will behave their self and not party or spend their degree mill money buying beer and giving women rides on their vehicle.

“Educate everyone.”

Since: Aug 07

Sacramento, California

#4 Oct 21, 2007
I was feeling sorry for myself a little earlier because I have a really mean work week staring me in the face.

Then I watched the news? And saw those flames consuming those houses?

I ain't feeling sorry for myself any more.
sierraff

Elk Grove, CA

#5 Oct 21, 2007
bobsdogs wrote:
Wonder if any of the firefighters are getting extra incentives or pay for going down to so cal. I am sure they will behave their self and not party or spend their degree mill money buying beer and giving women rides on their vehicle.
Please get help for your own anger issues.
bobsdogs

Citrus Heights, CA

#7 Oct 22, 2007
anger issues? I'm just repeating what the sac bee has been reporting for the last few years.
A Penny

Oakland, CA

#8 Oct 22, 2007
Listening to the news last evening....

One guy lost 3 houses in the fire worth $30 mil. Tough to feel sorry for him.
concerned

Fremont, CA

#9 Oct 22, 2007
KEL wrote:
The situation in So. Ca. is very devastating, no question about it. They DO have ONE good thing that comes out of this. The residents of Malibu are filthy rich, they can turn around and buy another mansion with their checkbook. The average person CANNOT do that, they lose everything and it pretty much stays that way. The lady who owns the "castle," she has a ton of money and can rebuild right in the same place if she so chooses. Yes, fires are terrible. Many things are destroyed INCLUDING lives. I wish EVERYONE well, this Malibu fire is FAR from over. As long as the winds howl, they have their work really cut out for them. I hope all the animals were evacuated and are safe, that must be really terrifying, the animals don't have a clue what all the noise, lights, wind and fire is all about and they panic. It's very sad. It's a real good thing they can pick up water from the ocean to help put the fires out. At least the ocean isn't too low or dried up from lack of rain. I just can't imagine going through what they are in So.Ca. I used to live about 30 minutes from there. I was raised in So.Ca. and the Santa Ana winds are really bad. I also lived in Huntington Beach but they never blew THAT bad. WOW, what a tragedy this is.
Money has nothing to do with it when you lose personal items. Pictures cannot be replaced,nor your childs first shoes or first curl cut. They will feel the same emotions us middle or lower class would if we lost those items. Plus, being middle class or lower income I would hope you would have homeowners/rental insur. so therefore you could rebuild also. Now that is just being a responsible adult(which I consider myself to be).
Been there

Reno, NV

#10 Oct 22, 2007
I did lose a house in a fire which they called the Bell Canyon fire in 1982. It went from Calabasas to Malibu. As concerned stated, it has nothing to do with money. It is all of the pictures, family heirlooms and pets that hurt so bad when lost. You are grateful that your family is safe but it is still very painful.
I grew up at Malibu Presbyterian and my prayers go out to all there. It is sad to know that it is gone. My prayers to out to everybody involved.
concerned

Fremont, CA

#11 Oct 22, 2007
Been there wrote:
I did lose a house in a fire which they called the Bell Canyon fire in 1982. It went from Calabasas to Malibu. As concerned stated, it has nothing to do with money. It is all of the pictures, family heirlooms and pets that hurt so bad when lost. You are grateful that your family is safe but it is still very painful.
I grew up at Malibu Presbyterian and my prayers go out to all there. It is sad to know that it is gone. My prayers to out to everybody involved.
I am sorry, I left out the mention of animals. They are precious to lots of families(mine included). My prayers to all of you going through this and to all of you from past fires.
No Way

Massillon, OH

#12 Oct 23, 2007
A Penny wrote:
Listening to the news last evening....
One guy lost 3 houses in the fire worth $30 mil. Tough to feel sorry for him.
3 houses worth $30 mil, 1 home worth $300k. If it's all you have, it's all relative. Let's remember, these aren't piles of cash burning. These are peoples dreams, and memories, and lives.
Pab

Auburn, CA

#13 Oct 24, 2007
concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Money has nothing to do with it when you lose personal items. Pictures cannot be replaced,nor your childs first shoes or first curl cut. They will feel the same emotions us middle or lower class would if we lost those items. Plus, being middle class or lower income I would hope you would have homeowners/rental insur. so therefore you could rebuild also. Now that is just being a responsible adult(which I consider myself to be).
Well said. I've noticed that a few posters seem to be happy that "rich people" houses burned. Pictures, personal items and heirlooms can't be replaced no matter how much money you have.
We just built a house, we cleared the required defensible space, the outside of the house is virtually fire proof and we have enough insurance to cover all material loses. How do you spell r-e-s-p-o-n-s-i-b-i-l-i-t-y.
Lots of jealous people out there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pepperdine Waves NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BONSIGNORE: For Pepperdine's Bell, it was love ... (Feb '10) Feb '10 UR notsosmart 2
30 second game guide: No. 15 Gonzaga vs. Pepper... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Quirk 1
Wave hello: Asbury returns as Pepperdine men's ... (Feb '08) Apr '09 if u read this u ... 2
Aggie men blow out Pepperdine, now 2-1 (Nov '08) Nov '08 Las Cruces footba... 3
Shelley and Thomas transfer to San Diego State (May '08) May '08 Paul Crandell 1
Gaels' '96-97 season one to remember (Nov '07) Apr '08 LionsTheChamp 2
Basketball dreams being realizedby Raven star (Jan '08) Apr '08 LionsTheChamp 3
•••
•••

Pepperdine Waves NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••