PSU woman's basketball coach resigns ...

PSU woman's basketball coach resigns : The Morning Call Online

There are 11 comments on the The Morning Call story from Mar 22, 2007, titled PSU woman's basketball coach resigns : The Morning Call Online. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

PSU woman's basketball coach resigns Penn State women's basketball coach Rene Portland resigned today, ending a 27-year tenure in which she won 605 games but battled allegations that she discriminated against ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

Marie

Easton, PA

#1 Mar 22, 2007
sad to see this outstanding woman coach leave Penn State.
Mary Magdalin

Chicago, IL

#2 Mar 22, 2007
awwww
Kevin

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Mar 22, 2007
And in other news, Paint on a wall somewhere dried today and grass is growing in yards across the country.

“Joey Chestnut is my hero”

Since: Feb 07

Whitehall, PA

#4 Mar 22, 2007
Rene is a fantastic person and an excellent coach. It is a shame that someone can make an accusation against someone and ruin a career like this. True or not, this hung over her and the team's head all season and it shouldn't have happened that way.
Spud

Fredericksburg, VA

#5 Mar 22, 2007
20 years ago,when this country was a much better place, Renee Portland would have been considered a great roll model.Penn State will miss her.
PSUGrad

Northumberland, PA

#6 Mar 22, 2007
The writing was on the wall for her departure, if not for her virulent homophobia then for her losing record this year and last year. She was no longer a feature for basketball players to go to Penn State, she was a detriment. I hope PSU finds a coach who will revitalize the program, maybe assistant coach Annie Troyan, who did a better job coaching than Portland two years ago when Portland missed a few games. The game and society have passed Portland by.

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Mar 22, 2007
Portland resided over probably the best stretch of basketball in school history, so it is sad to see her go. Although she was an outstanding basketball coach, this was probably for the best. Whether she did anything wrong or not, she clearly fell out of favor with the administration and with recruits. The past season's disappointment was the final straw I guess. Maybe she will coach at Indiana, which she seems to care about more than PSU for some odd reason...
dflprd1

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Mar 22, 2007
We are not Penn State. PSU stinks of smelly feet.
Doug Gator Joos

Jacksonville, FL

#9 Mar 22, 2007
Coach Portland give Jeremy Foley a call in Gainesville Fl. The Florida Gators need a woman's bb coach.

“yep,,it's me....”

Bethlehem

#10 Mar 22, 2007
No Lesbian Policy ....
Hmmmm,,interesting...
maybe seperate locker rooms.Just think of it,,if a young girl who is straight may feel very uncomfortable undressing in front of a lesbian...both girls have a right not to feel uncomfortable

“Joey Chestnut is my hero”

Whitehall, PA

#11 Mar 22, 2007
PSUGrad wrote:
The writing was on the wall for her departure, if not for her virulent homophobia then for her losing record this year and last year. She was no longer a feature for basketball players to go to Penn State, she was a detriment. I hope PSU finds a coach who will revitalize the program, maybe assistant coach Annie Troyan, who did a better job coaching than Portland two years ago when Portland missed a few games. The game and society have passed Portland by.
Please, using your logic, JoePa should be gone too. The girls teams the last couple of years have been below average because of the clouds of accusations surroounding Rene. Now that she is gone, they can move on. However, the game has not passed her by. She had to cut back because of a few ladies on her team couldn't take her coaching style and make derogatory accusations against her to justify their lack of playing skills at the college level.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Penn State Lady Lions Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Penn State To Hold Walk-On Tryouts (Feb '08) Dec '10 Ramona Ramone 14
News Charles dominates, UConn tips Penn St. (Dec '08) Dec '08 psconn 1
News So many issues to resolve (Mar '08) Mar '08 boilerdan 8
News OSU's Lavender Named Co-Big Ten Player Of Week (Mar '08) Mar '08 Wisdom Speaks 1
News Penn State Women's Hoops Coach Resigns (Mar '07) Mar '07 Butch 2
News Penn State's Portland leaves with mixed legacy (Mar '07) Mar '07 Carol Anne 1
News John Smallwood | Portland case revives unease o... (Mar '07) Mar '07 LANAINFLA 1
More from around the web