HEISER: Time for Penn State to end Bolden Saga

Full story: York Dispatch 74
It's time to end the Robert Bolden Saga. It's time for Penn State to grant the quarterback his release and allow him to freely transfer to another school. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
RazorRamon

Brook Park, OH

#1 Jun 7, 2011
First of all, thanks for the pop-ups.

Secondly, if you based your entire article off of that quote, you wasted your time.

Third, if it's that obvious, why did he announce on his Twitter page that he's returning to Penn State on June 13, just like the rest of the team?
interrobang

Severn, MD

#2 Jun 7, 2011
So, because he hasn't explicitly told you (the media) that he's returning, this then warrants a scathing article like this? This then means he also hasn't told his teammates and coaches his decision?

Kind of an embarrassing article for the sports editor to write solely on supposition.
aRelax

Mount Joy, PA

#3 Jun 7, 2011
Relax he will be back and he is committed. just relax
Dago T

Urbandale, IA

#4 Jun 8, 2011
I agree enthusiastically, as long as he doesn't end up at Ohio St and come back to haunt PS.
craig s

Washington, DC

#5 Jun 8, 2011
Perhaps he should transfer to Ohio State. I hear they are looking for a QB
Reasonable

Malvern, PA

#6 Jun 8, 2011
McGloin loaded up his stats against weaker competition and was horrendous against equal or better teams. Fact.
psustudent

Hershey, PA

#7 Jun 8, 2011
You have no idea what you are talking about. Ever hear of twitter? He talks about working out for the season and rewatching the Alabama tapes to get back at him. The coaches and teammates probably know that he is going back and going to be the starter, they just don't want to give opposing teams that information.

And you call yourself a journalist? The Collegian writers are 10x more knowledgeable and informed than you.
Bill

Bronx, NY

#8 Jun 8, 2011
In this instance, I believe JoPa is trying to help Bolden grow up as a man by not letting him run away at the first sign of adversity. I have questioned JoPa's on the field coaching over the years (I'm usually wrong), but will never question the way he deals with the kids in making men out of them.
PSUbacker

Williamsport, PA

#9 Jun 8, 2011
I agree, let him go to Columbus, maybe he just wants a new car? We can win with McGloin, Jones, or even Jaypa under center. All we need is someone to hand off to Redd and Beachum.
Hound

Etters, PA

#10 Jun 8, 2011
I don't totally disagree that it's time for Bolden to stop being a distraction.

Where we do differ is the columnist's characterization of Bolden's first seven games as being relatively mediocre. He did an outstanding job, especially for a true freshman.

McGloin was the one who was particularly uneven. Bolden was only uneven when he was put into the position of not knowing when he would get the football.
Bilich

Needmore, PA

#11 Jun 8, 2011
The kid answered a question that was asked by a reporter who had nothing else to talk about. Rather than get into it in depth, or make the "no comment" comment, he decided to just say I haven't made a decision yet.
Calm down...this kid will be back and he will be fine. He's not afraid of competing...just doesn't want to have to compete on an unfair playing field. I believe he feels the field has been leveled now and he will come out on top.
He's going to be a good one and you'll be one of the first ones there saying how great it is that he returned and fought through the adversity. Grow up and leave the kid alone!
ABM aka Fatty Arbuckle

Bethune, SC

#13 Jun 8, 2011
Bilich wrote:
The kid answered a question that was asked by a reporter who had nothing else to talk about. Rather than get into it in depth, or make the "no comment" comment, he decided to just say I haven't made a decision yet.
Calm down...this kid will be back and he will be fine. He's not afraid of competing...just doesn't want to have to compete on an unfair playing field. I believe he feels the field has been leveled now and he will come out on top.
He's going to be a good one and you'll be one of the first ones there saying how great it is that he returned and fought through the adversity. Grow up and leave the kid alone!
Bilich, if there was a "like" button, I'd use it here....or is there a like button?

In all seriousness - the post gazette article that drove this reaction was purely a fluff piece on a slow news day. Musselman must not have wanted to be creative (as usualy) so he called up Bolden. What did he expect? Bolden to all of a sudden decide to give him the scoop that he's coming back? He wasn't seeking any attention and actually hasn't for months since the post bowl game fiasco. All he has done is answer reporters' questions truthfully.

Would you rather him say "no comment" to any/all questions about his future? I'm sure you'd paint him as a diva for saying THAT too.

Also saying we'll be "fine" with McGloin at the helm is just accepting mediocrity. He's nothing more than a solid backup and the fact that his ceiling is "maybe winning a bowl game" this year and not winning the Big Ten, going to a BCS bowl, or contending for a national championship says it all. MEDIOCRE.
Relaxation Station

Decatur, TN

#14 Jun 8, 2011
Maybe its time to end the saga of your questionable journalism?

"He may not lead the Lions to a national title, or even a Big Ten crown, but he could certainly lead them to another bowl game next year."

wow, what a ringing endorsement. before a season, in which the top dog OSU is in shambles, even begins we're already shooting for the Little Caesers Pizza Bowl. McGloin was atrocious against good competition last season, he has a limited ceiling. Bolden, on the other hand, was a TRUE FRESHMAN with all the talent that a top recruit brings.

so, lets see...a couple more seasons of 7-6 or try to develop a QB that could lead us to a Big Ten/National Championship...hmmm

forget the BAB talk...ABM!!!
Old Lion Fan

Summit, NJ

#15 Jun 8, 2011
Amen
WINNING

Bethune, SC

#16 Jun 8, 2011
This is ALL Obama's Fault......he's out golfing (on MEMORIAL DAY) insted of forcing Bolden to make a desishun on the 2011 seazuhn.
Lou

Scranton, PA

#17 Jun 8, 2011
Idiot article -- way to keep up with things, Heiser -- this guy calls himself a Journalist??????
Bryan

Torrance, CA

#18 Jun 8, 2011
There is no QB competition at PSU. It's whoever Joe wants and nothing more/less.

If no one could beat out a broken and defeated Mills or surplant Morelli, what chance does anyone have?
ZMAN

Hopwood, PA

#19 Jun 8, 2011
maybe give Jay more time to develop a QB with all his great ones he will make a great head coach..............Yeah Right................ Please do not let that happen.......As soon as we get new head coach and staff and can recuit 2 deep we will again have a top 10 program............. all should retire after we lose 5 or 6 this year
George

Washington, DC

#20 Jun 8, 2011
Bryan wrote:
There is no QB competition at PSU. It's whoever Joe wants and nothing more/less.
If no one could beat out a broken and defeated Mills or surplant Morelli, what chance does anyone have?
Actually, it IS the head coaches choice! they do not keep a scoreboard for a suppossed QB competition.
PSU84

Dallastown, PA

#21 Jun 8, 2011
You have to remember that Bolden is still a teen-age kid. Of course he is going to be upset about palying time, he is a competitor. I would be have been upset and angry in his situation too. Probably would have said some things I should not have in the heat of the moment also. This kid will be the starter for the next three years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Penn State Nittany Lions NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Penn State Trustees Say NCAA Settlement May Be ... Jan 13 hello 2
NCAA lifts Penn St. bowl ban Jan 4 Child Victim 3
Bengals' Devon Still owes child support says Le... Nov '14 Ms_SlimChance 1
With Chad Greenway Hurt, Gerald Hodges Gets His... Sep '14 Adrian Beaturson 4
PSU paid price, deserves to be back Sep '14 Selfish Sandusky 7
Eliminating The Sanctions, As Told By Twitter Sep '14 RahRahRah 1
Frank Bodani: Penn State's reduced sanctions pr... Sep '14 RahRahRah 1
More from around the web